Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yohlin2001
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2011

I am ready to go to most low cost living place they will send me. People have to remember, you can always put in your time and transfer somewhere else later on. Don't get to tie up in your first duty station.

Comment

• semper03
      Forum Member
      • Sep 2011

At this point, personally "I would live in a van down by the river" for the opportunity! =P

Last edited by semper03; 10-20-2011, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• a2002slp
        Forum Member
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Bigerr19
        Just curious, why do you think you'd be bored out of your mind at a checkpoint?
        I mean no offense to those who are stationed at a check point what so ever, just in my carreer I've always been very active and have never been use to standing in one place such as a check point. But like I said I will not refuse any offer I am given even if it's in the middle of nowhere living in a trailer lol. Some guys need to relax from what I've been reading but we all have our opinions and are entitled to them. But I do agree do not apply for this job if you are not willing to go where ever the US Government wants to send you now that does not mean we can't all have a little hope in getting our preference. Smile guys don't be so angry lol

Comment

• BigPat
          Forum Member
          • May 2005

Originally posted by a2002slp
          I mean no offense to those who are stationed at a check point what so ever, just in my carreer I've always been very active and have never been use to standing in one place such as a check point. But like I said I will not refuse any offer I am given even if it's in the middle of nowhere living in a trailer lol. Some guys need to relax from what I've been reading but we all have our opinions and are entitled to them. But I do agree do not apply for this job if you are not willing to go where ever the US Government wants to send you now that does not mean we can't all have a little hope in getting our preference. Smile guys don't be so angry lol
          Wherever there is a checkpoint there is also walkaround and drivearound traffic circumventing that checkpoint, and there are agents assigned to working that traffic. Agents assigned to stations with checkpoints are not stuck working at the checkpoint every day. While I am not a fan of checkpoint duty, you can catch stuff at cps, and if I had teh choice I would rather be at a cp than at an "X" watching the fence rust.

Comment

• a2002slp
            Forum Member
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by BigPat
            Wherever there is a checkpoint there is also walkaround and drivearound traffic circumventing that checkpoint, and there are agents assigned to working that traffic. Agents assigned to stations with checkpoints are not stuck working at the checkpoint every day. While I am not a fan of checkpoint duty, you can catch stuff at cps, and if I had teh choice I would rather be at a cp than at an "X" watching the fence rust.
            Thank you for your insight on that, I was not too sure exactly how the lay out for a check point was but this gives me pretty good understanding of it. I won't be disappointed with any assignment I receive just glad I found this forum to be able to ask questions to ease the stress of the process.

Comment

• Rinzler
              Forum Member
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by semper03
              At this point, personally "I would live in a van down by the river" for the opportunity! =P
              I wish everyone that's in this process would share our enthusiasm or dedication. Unfortunately, not everyone shares our dedication to becoming BPA.

Comment

• Marcus Antonius
                Forum Member
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Rinzler
                I wish everyone that's in this process would share our enthusiasm or dedication. Unfortunately, not everyone shares our dedication to becoming BPA.
                Careful there! Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

An injury like that could keep you out of the academy.

Comment

• caramelo2424
                  Forum Member
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Marcus Antonius
                  Straw man. Ever heard of that?

This isn't the military.
                  I really admire your ability identify fallacious reasoning. You are way above the BP curve sir.

Comment

• TheSentinel
                    Forum Member
                    • Feb 2011

So let me get this straight, you're looking for a better place to work but not willing to make the sacrifice to have the better place to work because if the station isn't within driving distance of where you currently reside, then you consider it to not to be a better place to work ? Am I understanding you correctly ?

Also when you applied it stated that the position could be anywhere on the SWB and if you are willing to accept that. So essentially you lied because you are not willing to accept a position anywhere on the SWB. No ?

If you want to stay within driving distance, you would have better luck working for your local Police Department or Sheriffs.
                    Thanks for the advise. I edited my post because I failed to practice what I preach. If it feels good, don't say it. Same goes for typing.
                    Last edited by TheSentinel; 10-21-2011, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• Rinzler
                      Forum Member
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by TheSentinel
                      To your first question, no, you are completely wrong. I know any station on the SWB has the potential to be a better place to work. My personal situation will prevent me from going out of California for the time being.

Second, look buddy, I don't know where you get off suggesting that I'm a liar...I understand Officer.com is full of dirty forum trolls, but really? I am frankly disgusted by the holier than thou attitude in this thread. "In order to be in the Border Patrol you have to sacrifice...". Its a job, maybe even a career, but it isn't some godly entity that requires your soul. I don't know if you've looked at my profile, but my whole adult life has known sacrifice. With two tours in Iraq, and more overseas tours coming, I hardly think I am on the wanting end of the sacrifice spectrum. If I can get into a California station, I'll do all sorts of sacrificing.

Am I a dirtbag because I want to be picky about where I want to raise my family or because I have a sense of responsibility and want do defend my native state? Am I a bad person because my personal situation will most likely prevent me from accepting a position outside of California? I'm sure you have an opinion, do tell.

I looked at your profile, its empty. Who are you Rinzler?
                      All I have to say is did you read the part that said "you will be stationed anywhere on the SWB do you accept this?" It's the main question in your application. And now you are stating that you won't accept a station anywhere outside of California. So you lied on your application. Which therefore makes you a liar. Just wondering what your thought process is for putting in an application under false pretenses. As I said before, since you are so committed to California and have a family to raise and cannot relocate. I don't think Border Patrol is the best career choice for you. 2 offers and your out of the process and with no openings in California you're just wasting everyone's time and potentially taking a spot on the TSU list that should belong to someone more deserving.

Comment

• TheSentinel
                        Forum Member
                        • Feb 2011

All I have to say is did you read the part that said "you will be stationed anywhere on the SWB do you accept this?" It's the main question in your application. And now you are stating that you won't accept a station anywhere outside of California. So you lied on your application. Which therefore makes you a liar. Just wondering what your thought process is for putting in an application under false pretenses. As I said before, since you are so committed to California and have a family to raise and cannot relocate. I don't think Border Patrol is the best career choice for you. 2 offers and your out of the process and with no openings in California you're just wasting everyone's time and potentially taking a spot on the TSU list that should belong to someone more deserving.
                        Maybe at the time I applied, that was the case...but oh well. Thanks for caring so much about my integrity, you sir, are a true gentleman.
                        Last edited by TheSentinel; 10-21-2011, 12:48 PM.

Comment

• a2002slp
                          Forum Member
                          • Jul 2011

For those who are in flect or recently graduated, what was harder the academics or the physical part of it? I am in good shape now I'm just curious how hard the academics actually are. I hear different things here n there.

Comment

• Go Banana
                            Forum Member
                            • Nov 2010

Just got by written test score back (97!), and I'm wondering about how final offers are given out. The written score affects your priority in getting to the interview right? And that's just pass fail, and assuming you pass the BI, medical, pft, you're ranked by that written score (and only by that first score)? Does a high written score basically guarantee a final offer assuming you pass all the intermediate steps?

Website has this: "If you successfully complete these steps your name will be placed on a list for a future position. As vacancies become available and your name is reachable (dependant on original selection date order and score order, including veterans’ preference) you will receive a firm offer of employment."

How do you rank by date and score order?

Comment

• madchiken
                              Relocation Expert
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Go Banana
                              Just got by written test score back (97!), and I'm wondering about how final offers are given out. The written score affects your priority in getting to the interview right? And that's just pass fail, and assuming you pass the BI, medical, pft, you're ranked by that written score (and only by that first score)? Does a high written score basically guarantee a final offer assuming you pass all the intermediate steps?

Website has this: "If you successfully complete these steps your name will be placed on a list for a future position. As vacancies become available and your name is reachable (dependant on original selection date order and score order, including veterans’ preference) you will receive a firm offer of employment."

Doesn't mean squat once you get a TO. Your 97 is no different than someone else's 71. The only time it comes into play is if they decide to use cut off scores to proceed. Once all steps are completed you are put on the list, ranked by certificate date.

Comment

• Marcus Antonius
                                Forum Member
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Go Banana

What Madchiken said. I got the same score as you and wish it mattered a little more. I applied in July 2010 and am still waiting...just to give you an idea of what you're probably in for (although some who applied at that time have been hired already).

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18385 users online. 33 members and 18352 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...