X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TPA3312
    Forum Member
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Alexp
    Well to be honest, i really don't care where they would send me. I guess ill go wherever i have a better chance of getting hired and the action sounds good too. I applied for NB so i could be closer to NY, so what do i do now if i want to change it? Can i still change it? Also anybody know if i can change my test site to compressed still?

Thank you.
    Try contacting the hiring center, they a lot of helpful people there and may be able to help change locations and find a compressed testing center.

612-467-7047
    [email protected]
    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

Comment

• Alexp
      Forum Member
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by TPA3312
      Try contacting the hiring center, they a lot of helpful people there and may be able to help change locations and find a compressed testing center.

612-467-7047
      [email protected]
      Thank you.
      NYPD Exam 7/12/08
      #8305: 94%

Medical 8/26/08 -Done
      JST 9/2/08 - Done
      Written Psych 9/9/08 - Done
      Meeting BI 9/10/08 - Done
      Oral Psych 09/25/08 - Done
      Mini - Med - 11/04/08 - Done

Comment

• Alexp
        Forum Member
        • Apr 2008

One more quick question. I heard that BPA is pretty much an entry-level position with Federal Law Enforcement and that you will be qualified to transfer to U.S. Marshals or other specialized units with Border Patrol.

Thanks.
        NYPD Exam 7/12/08

Medical 8/26/08 -Done
        JST 9/2/08 - Done

Comment

• TPA3312
          Forum Member
          • Feb 2009

Does anyone know if the status for the background investigation changes from 'pending' to something else when the investigator submits their report?

I'm asking because I already have done the interview, and have talked to all personal references and prior employment and know they have been interviewed. The only thing left was having the investigator talk to current neighbors. He tried once, but no one in my apartment building answered their door. After trying for several days I was able to talk to one neighbor, but the investigator said that neighbor wouldn't work because they moved in only a month ago. I don't know what to tell him since I have lived in the building longest of all neighbors, and don't know anyone who lives close by.

Comment

• audi0xpl0de
            Forum Member
            • Jan 2002

Does anyone know if the status for the background investigation changes from 'pending' to something else when the investigator submits their report?

I'm asking because I already have done the interview, and have talked to all personal references and prior employment and know they have been interviewed. The only thing left was having the investigator talk to current neighbors. He tried once, but no one in my apartment building answered their door. After trying for several days I was able to talk to one neighbor, but the investigator said that neighbor wouldn't work because they moved in only a month ago. I don't know what to tell him since I have lived in the building longest of all neighbors, and don't know anyone who lives close by.
            No, it will either be pending or complete. It will not change until the adjudicator submits their decision.

Comment

• TPA3312
              Forum Member
              • Feb 2009

Well to be honest, i really don't care where they would send me. I guess ill go wherever i have a better chance of getting hired and the action sounds good too. I applied for NB so i could be closer to NY, so what do i do now if i want to change it? Can i still change it? Also anybody know if i can change my test site to compressed still?
              Thank you.
              Was the hiring center able to change your selected location and locate a compressed testing location for you?

Comment

• Alexp
                Forum Member
                • Apr 2008

Was the hiring center able to change your selected location and locate a compressed testing location for you?
                I called 3 times and nobody picked up. There was an option to leave a message but i guess ill keep calling.

Quick question, if i take my test at compressed station, will i have to go back to it for all other steps? IM asking because it 5 hours away, maybe im better off taking it here in NYC if i have to drive there for every step?
                NYPD Exam 7/12/08

Medical 8/26/08 -Done
                JST 9/2/08 - Done

Comment

• NCSam160
                  Forum Member
                  • Dec 2004

Job History

Hello all,

I tried searching for an answer to this question, but I couldn't find anything that listed this specifically.

I'm in school right now trying to get a BA. I've had a steady job history for a while, but I recently decided to focus on my school, so I quit my last job, and currently am living off of my savings. I have enough to meet all my financial needs, and don't have any huge debts.

I've got about 1.5-2 years left until I graduate from college. Will a 2 year jobless gap hurt my chances? Or will the fact that I'm working towards a degree negate that?

I've been looking at the BP for a while, and really love what I've found. I'm sort of worried the huge hiring rush they're in right now will diminish by the time I graduate, but I guess I can't do anything about that now.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Comment

• audi0xpl0de
                    Forum Member
                    • Jan 2002

Originally posted by NCSam160
                    Hello all,

I tried searching for an answer to this question, but I couldn't find anything that listed this specifically.

I'm in school right now trying to get a BA. I've had a steady job history for a while, but I recently decided to focus on my school, so I quit my last job, and currently am living off of my savings. I have enough to meet all my financial needs, and don't have any huge debts.

I've got about 1.5-2 years left until I graduate from college. Will a 2 year jobless gap hurt my chances? Or will the fact that I'm working towards a degree negate that?

I've been looking at the BP for a while, and really love what I've found. I'm sort of worried the huge hiring rush they're in right now will diminish by the time I graduate, but I guess I can't do anything about that now.

A gap in your employment while you're in school will not affect your chances.

Comment

• TPA3312
                      Forum Member
                      • Feb 2009

Hello all,

I had several gaps in my employment while going to school for my BA and the investigator said that it wasn't a problem. In the end I think it shows you are commited to your school work and education. You will need to be able to prove how you supported yourself while going to school to prove you didn't supplement your cash by selling drugs or other criminal activities. For me the investigator talked to my wife since she was working full-time while I finished my degree.

Comment

• SHU
                        Grumpy
                        • Jul 2005

The Patrol will always be hiring but not as much as they have been doing in the last few years. Get your degree. The job will always be there.

Comment

• NCSam160
                          Forum Member
                          • Dec 2004

I had several gaps in my employment while going to school for my BA and the investigator said that it wasn't a problem. In the end I think it shows you are commited to your school work and education. You will need to be able to prove how you supported yourself while going to school to prove you didn't supplement your cash by selling drugs or other criminal activities. For me the investigator talked to my wife since she was working full-time while I finished my degree.
                          That makes me feel a lot better. School itself is paid for through an inheritance I got through a deceased Aunt, and personal expenses (which are few) are paid for through money I've been saving up since I was very young. I've got documentation if necessary.

I guess now I just have to hope the BP will continue to have a hiring push in 2 years when I've graduated.

Comment

• madchiken
                            Relocation Expert
                            • Aug 2004

One more quick question. I heard that BPA is pretty much an entry-level position with Federal Law Enforcement and that you will be qualified to transfer to U.S. Marshals or other specialized units with Border Patrol.

Thanks.
                            An entry level position is any position that hires entry level applicants. Historically, and this has taken a hit due to recent policy changes, the BP Academy was the longest and considered one of the toughest federal LE academies. Other agencies would recruit BP trainees while at FLETC.

Comment

• MNCop2b
                              • Nov 2006

Hello all,

NCSam:

I am completely through the process and my package has been sent to TSU and I'm patiently waiting on an offer. I was in the same boat as you; I took a year off after I got back from Iraq to finish my schooling. As long as you can account for your period of unemployment you will have no problems with the background. Not to mention with your Bachelor's, as long as you have a 3.0 GPA or higher, you can qualify to start at a GL-7 paygrade vs. a GL-5. That is what I did.

There will always be positions with the Border Patrol through attrition at the academy, people washing out of probation, quitting or retiring. If you've been keeping up with the news about the drug cartels on the southwestern border, there may be another hiring push sooner than you think.

Comment

• lugonatron
                                Forum Member
                                • Feb 2009

Hello everyone; I'm currently going through the hiring process with the Border Patrol, the whole process has been nerve racking but exciting. I had some concerns with the BI process, I had some deficiencies in my credit in which I was deliquent in 8 accounts and I currently paid off or reached a settlement in 6 of them. The 6 consisted of late car payments, which I paid off my vehicle completly and credit cards and old cell phone bill that was charged off a few years ago. So that leaves me with only 2 accounts which I should reach a payment plan sometime next week. I was also let go or quit jobs before I was let go, these occurred in 2002, 2004, and 2005. In 2002, an employee made a false allegation on me, nothing big, it dealt with the use of employee discounts. In 2004, I was a bank teller for about a month, the manager in charge of training me was hired 2 weeks before I was!!! Well, instead of properly training me on bank telling, it was constant cleaning for me. When I transferred to another location, I couldn't perform all job duties. In 2005, I quit before getting fired for excessive tardies, due to having to keep giving my roomate rides to work. I'm a current student who will be graduating this semester, just based on this information would this create a problem in my BI, all the information I provide in the eqip forms. Thank you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19441 users online. 54 members and 19387 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...