X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BPA2Be
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by marcvann23
    Once I apply for the BP, approx. how long will it take me to get a test date?
    Also, do I get to pick the test date and/or location?
    Im on active duty, if I have an unexpected military obligation (i.e. training), will I be able to reschedule my test date?
    Do they have testing facilities in Hawaii?

thanks in advance
    If you go on USAJOBS.com and find and opening for border patrol after some questions it will tell you the date you are scheduled to take the test
    It also lets you pick the testing site, so you can pick the closest to you
    I believe you can reschedule the test but im not sure
    And I have absolutely no idea if they have testing facilities in Hawaii but My guess would have to be that they do.

Go on USAJOBS.COM and search Border Patrol Agent

Or Click This Link

Good Luck Sir
    BPA:
    Written Test: Passed (97%)
    Reactivated Feb 09
    Pre-Employment Forms: Completed
    Qualifications: Qualified GL-7
    Medical Exam: Completed
    Drug Test: Completed
    Fitness: Completed
    Oral Board: Completedhttp://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6315/dancing.gif
    Background Investigation: Completed

IEA ICE
    Written Test: Passed (80% )
    Oral Interview: Passed 07/14/09
    Paperwork Sent In And No Idea When I'll Get An Answer

Comment

• marcvann23
      Forum Member
      • Oct 2008

I was just on usajobs and the announcement did not mention a location for the test. Do I have to apply to be given the date/location?

Comment

• madchiken
        Relocation Expert
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by marcvann23
        I was just on usajobs and the announcement did not mention a location for the test. Do I have to apply to be given the date/location?
        Uh, yes. Its somewhat hard for them to list several thousand test dates and locations in the announcement...

"...after some questions it will tell you the date you are scheduled to take the test. It also lets you pick the testing site, so you can pick the closest to you."

Comment

• quannj
          • Jan 2008

well quals are done....got my letter and cass updated today..hope security clears soon

Comment

• MorseAve1134
            Forum Member
            • Mar 2008

1) How long does the hiring process tend to take? 2) Out of the academy are you more likely to be "off-roading" and doing all the crazy **** or sitting at a post asking for passports? 3) How much action should be expected and how probable is it to move to a specialized unit?

Comment

• BPA2Be
              Forum Member
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by MorseAve1134
              1) How long does the hiring process tend to take? 2) Out of the academy are you more likely to be "off-roading" and doing all the crazy **** or sitting at a post asking for passports? 3) How much action should be expected and how probable is it to move to a specialized unit?
              1 - It varies from individual to individual, If i had passed the oral board id be in the academy right now and I took my test on July but theres people whose stuff takes longer

2 - After the academy you have to spend 2 years probation, My guess is at the beggining you will go out with a experienced partner and such and as time goes by you will start to be by yourself and my guess is you will have to do anything that needs to be done at your station. but thats just my educated guess

3 - Depends on the place where you get stationes. My bro is BP and he is currently at a Tx station where he tells me he doesnt do much, not many people try crossing through there. and to apply for a transfer to any unit you need to wait the probation term (2 years) and then its another wait of who knows how long until the spot you want opens and then if they take you because there will be other applying for the same spot
              BPA:
              Reactivated Feb 09

IEA ICE

Comment

• madchiken
                Relocation Expert
                • Aug 2004

I think you need to do some more research on this career. We don't sit around and ask for passports.

Comment

• MorseAve1134
                  Forum Member
                  • Mar 2008

Originally posted by madchiken
                  I think you need to do some more research on this career. We don't sit around and ask for passports.
                  I'm pretty sure when I drove back from Canada it was one of you guys checking my ID. Also when I came back from overseas with the military, and from Jamaica and Mexico. Could be wrong though..

Comment

• madchiken
                    Relocation Expert
                    • Aug 2004

I'm pretty sure when I drove back from Canada it was one of you guys checking my ID. Also when I came back from overseas with the military, and from Jamaica and Mexico. Could be wrong though..
                    Yeah.. I think you want the CBPO thread. Border Patrol Agents do not work at ports of entry.

Comment

• Solohammer
                      Forum Member
                      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by TXCountySheriff
                      What is the ranking structure from the lowest rank up? And how does the Border Patrol wear their rank (sleeve, shoulder, collar)?
                      Rank structure works like this:

No insignia = Border Patrol Agent
                      Captain(two silver bars "railroad tracks") = Supervisory Border Patrol Agent
                      Major(gold oak leaf) = Field Operations Supervisor/Special Operations Supervisor
                      Lt. Colonel(silver oak leaf) = Patrol Agent In Charge/Assistant Patrol Agent In Charge
                      Colonel(silver bird) = Assistant Chief
                      Brigadier General(one star) = Deputy Chief
                      Major General(two stars) = Sector Chief

There are no Sargent's insignia in the Patrol and nothing is worn on the sleeve of any uniform, save for the shoulder patches.

~Caveat: On the dress jacket there are service stars worn on the sleeve~

Everyone at SBPA and up wears their rank insignia on their collars and another insignia on their shoulders. I don't know what the device on their shoulder is called, nor can I accurately describe them. I know they're different for different levels as well. (the shoulder doodads)

THE Chief wears four stars. I haven't seen any three stars but I'm sure they're out there somewhere.

No, there is no way to distinguish between trainees and journeyman by their collar. There are ways to tell, but I'm not going to get into that here.

Comment

• marcvann23
                        Forum Member
                        • Oct 2008

If i were to join the BP as a young (low 20's) single guy and ended up stationed in a small, desolate, border town, what kind of activites are there, i.e. clubs, bars? How do the Latina women respond to guys if they know they are BPA's?

Comment

• Solohammer
                          Forum Member
                          • Jul 2008

You'd more than likely drive to a larger not so desolate town on your days off. There are only a couple of places that meet that description anyway. As for the women's reactions, I don't know. Someone else will have to field that question.

Comment

• BPA2Be
                            Forum Member
                            • Oct 2008

I've been in two towns where my bro has worked in Tx, they are far better than some other small towns where you could get stationed and even in those where he is at there are NO clubs at all. you'd have to drive up to San Antonio or something
                            BPA:
                            Reactivated Feb 09

IEA ICE

Comment

• ochoism
                              Forum Member
                              • Apr 2008

For any current border patrol agent, I have a few questions that I can't seem to find an answer to here or on honorfirst.com; I might have missed it, but I looked.

I understand that we will get AUO once out of the academy; from what I gather we will automatically get AUO as long as we work 18.5 hours of OT per pay period right? Is it possible to end up working more than that? If so do you get real OT pay or comp time? Is it even possible to get comp time? I keep reading about a small per diem that you get at the academy, I know that our room and meals are free, so are we looking at $3-$4 a day? What are the chances of getting Brownsville TX as a station; it's kind of close to padre, does everybody want that station?

I'm done with everything and got that letter saying I should get my firm offer in 30-60 days, I'm just trying to get the little questions answered. Thanks for your help.

Comment

• SHU
                                Grumpy
                                • Jul 2005

I understand that we will get AUO once out of the academy; from what I gather we will automatically get AUO as long as we work 18.5 hours of OT per pay period right?

2 hours per day = 10 hours per week so 20 hours per PP

Is it possible to end up working more than that?

Yes. I'm still a BPA(T) so don't take this as the word from above but you will have no say in how many hours you work per day. But I think its safe to say you won't be cutting out early.

If so do you get real OT pay or comp time?

OT pay but the manner in which AUO becomes OT is very difficult to figure out. Think ENRON accounting.

Is it even possible to get comp time?

the admin maybe willing to give you comp time instead of OT if you are working 45 act but i'm not sure. If I were you I would not take comp. When do you think they are going to let you take time off? I worked for another federal agency before coming to the patrol and I had 50 hours of comp time on the books when I left. They were on the books because they would never give me the time to take it. But they did pay me off when I left them.

I keep reading about a small per diem that you get at the academy, I know that our room and meals are free, so are we looking at $3-$4 a day?

3 dollars per day.

What are the chances of getting Brownsville TX as a station; it's kind of close to padre, does everybody want that station?

I'd say you have a good chance at getting a station in TX nowadays but one station in particular, poor chance of that. Anything is possible but don't hold your breath for anyone station in particular. Make sure you can stand working whatever station you get for a long time. Transfers are very hard to come by.

I'm done with everything and got that letter saying I should get my firm offer in 30-60 days, I'm just trying to get the little questions answered. Thanks for your help.

Good luck to you. I hope you get a good station.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18871 users online. 39 members and 18832 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...