300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ronaldbur View Post
    as of today is the border patrol hiring people still?????
    Yes, not in droves, but still plenty of open spots.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlcatrazT2 View Post
      Everyone, approximately how many days/weeks after your case being in the security office did you get a call from your background investigator?
      1 to 365+ days would be my guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hope2BPA View Post
        Are you already done with your BI or is this before your interview with the investigator?
        Before. I have yet to talk to a BI.
        BPA - Pending BI
        Two local depts. - Pending BI

Comment

• anyone answer my above question?

Comment

• Originally posted by Seahawks398 View Post
            anyone answer my above question?
            To qualify at the GL-5 level, you must have a substantial background of experience (paid, voluntary, full or part-time), of which at least one year must have been comparable in level of difficulty and responsibility to grade GL-4 in the federal service. The work experience does not have to be law enforcement related. (You must describe all work experience in your application for employment in order to gain proper consideration.)

or

This type of experience must demonstrate an ability to take charge, make decisions and maintain composure in stressful situations; it must demonstrate an ability to maintain interpersonal relationships with coworkers and the public and it must demonstrate a propensity to learn both on the job and through formal instruction.

If you do not have the work experience described above, a 4-year college degree can be substituted for and is fully qualifying for the GL-5 level. There is no requirement that the degree is in any particular field or that it is a recent degree;

or

You may qualify through a combination of education and work experience (assuming you have not completed your degree). Each year of full-time semester or quarter units equates to three months of general work experience. For example, if you had two (2) years of full-time college education, that would equate to six months of experience with an additional six (6) months of generalized work experience, you could qualify for the GL-5 position.

Give it a shot, if you don't qualify, they will let you know.
            Originally Posted by Law100
            Note to everyone: notice how respect I am

Comment

• Originally posted by Seahawks398 View Post
              anyone answer my above question?
              I'm not too sure if you will qualify with security guard experience. You could either try applying and see if you are accepted or try calling the hiring center at 612-467-7047 to see. I agree with what the last poster said, the worst they can do is say you don't qualify and wait till you have 120 semester hours.
              Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

Comment

• Originally posted by TPA3312 View Post
                I'm not too sure if you will qualify with security guard experience. You could either try applying and see if you are accepted or try calling the hiring center at 612-467-7047 to see. I agree with what the last poster said, the worst they can do is say you don't qualify and wait till you have 120 semester hours.
                I think he could probably qualify depending upon the choice of words he uses when writing his quals. I think that has a HUGE impact on anyones qualifications.
                BPA - Pending BI
                Two local depts. - Pending BI

Comment

• Originally posted by madchiken View Post
                  1 to 365+ days would be my guess.
                  Thank you.
                  United States Border Patrol
                  08/2009 - Tentative Scheduling Unit.

Comment

• First time posting about BPA

Hey guys, I just got my packet in the mail, taking the exam next month. My only question is this...My admission notice says that I'm taking the compressed, and after the exam, I'll attend an orientation session, while my exam gets scored. If I pass, I'll fill out paperwork and sit for an oral exam. Should I dress "business casual or professional" for the oral? If so, do people usually take the exam in their suits, and hope they pass it? I don't want to look like a scrub sitting for an oral in just jeans and a polo or something like that if everyone else looks like they're on wall street. Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by low_clazz View Post
                      I think he could probably qualify depending upon the choice of words he uses when writing his quals. I think that has a HUGE impact on anyones qualifications.
                      Bingo! We have a winner!

A good qual write-up will have someone standing out on the sidewalk in a Statue of Liberty suit working for Liberty taxes as qualifying. A bad write-up would disqualify Bill Gates and Rush Limbaugh.

For just about anybody with any meaningful work experience, it's all in how you present it.

Comment

• Originally posted by skasif11 View Post
                        Hey guys, I just got my packet in the mail, taking the exam next month. My only question is this...My admission notice says that I'm taking the compressed, and after the exam, I'll attend an orientation session, while my exam gets scored. If I pass, I'll fill out paperwork and sit for an oral exam. Should I dress "business casual or professional" for the oral? If so, do people usually take the exam in their suits, and hope they pass it? I don't want to look like a scrub sitting for an oral in just jeans and a polo or something like that if everyone else looks like they're on wall street. Thanks in advance.
                        skasif11,
                        My compressed was slightly different but if they say that they will be doing oral interviews definitely dress professionally. However, the test itself is long and the paperwork for the employment packet is even longer si if this is true it may be a very, very long day for you. You may want to opt for business casual (comfort during the exam) and change once they have come back with your scores. Regardless, I personally would never attend any of these activity in any less than business casual. My experience was that after testing they did an orientation while we awaited the results. Once the results came back, they thanked those who didn't make the minimum score for showing up and sent them on their way (we had about 60 left out of the 200+ that showed up). They then provided us with the date of our oral board/physical test/med exam (about a month from that day) for which I wore a suit and brought the gym bag and workout clothes with me.
                        You may want to contact the office (via email) to seek clarification. Best of luck!!!

Comment

• ive been waiting 6 months for my b.i. to clear!! its so annoying. i wonder why it takes so long.

Comment

I didn't do the compressed, however, I wore a suit during the written test either way. also for the oral, nothing less than a suit. remember this at any stage in the process people are watching you and the last thing you want to leave as an impression is poor attire. always act like they are grading your every step and you should be fine.

Comment

I did mine at a compressed site. We tested in the morning, after a break we came back and got our test scores and the Agent answered questions. There wasn't an oral interview that day. I think it would be difficult for them to do that given that each interview has more than one Agent involved. We had 150 or so people take the test, only 64 passed. Those people were then scheduled to sit for an interview the following week. If they would have been doing the orals the same day, we would have been there all night. With the parts we did, we were there for 8 hours. The day of the orals was several hours long as well, with at least 15 agents on site.

Now to answer your actual question about wearing a suit to the interview. I highly recommend it. Each step of the process should really be treated like a job interview, for a professional organization. Don't wear jeans, you will hear it from the Agents and the oral itself is already a little rough. Wear a suit, shine your shoes, and comb your hair. You will be happy you did. About 60% of the people at the test showed up in jeans, I don't think that day is a big issue, but everyone showed up to interviews with a tie on. On a side note, you shouldn't think about it as how you look if you are overdressed, better to be overdressed than under dressed. Just my .02 cents.

Good luck
                              Last edited by pappabacon; 03-13-2009, 01:27 PM. Reason: Added a sentence.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                                Bingo! We have a winner!

A good qual write-up will have someone standing out on the sidewalk in a Statue of Liberty suit working for Liberty taxes as qualifying. A bad write-up would disqualify Bill Gates and Rush Limbaugh.

For just about anybody with any meaningful work experience, it's all in how you present it.
                                With the current administration, Rush Limbaugh probably couldn't get a job as a Seasonal Parks and Recreation Custodian.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18010 users online. 501 members and 17509 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X