Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Border Patrol Agent

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by thereaperman
    haha thats scary.. and thats the problem... work on your grammar! gggrrrr
    About "honorfirst.com"

    While the moderators on that forum may take it to a bit of an extreme, I think they have good reason to reject posts that look like they were written by a text messaging middle-schooler. If you get a job as a Border Patrol Agent you will be required to write investigative reports when you arrest smuggling loads. Your ability to articulate in writing the reasons leading to the arrest will make the difference in whether the suspects are prosecuted or not.

    In the recent mass hiring, many agents were hired who had a poor grasp of writing effectively in the English language. The new "dumbed-down" academy has dispensed with the report-writing classes, which has further compounded the problem. Add this to the fact that the graduates of the new Spanish program are unable to interview aliens or take sworn statements in Spanish, and it leads to some frustrated journeyman agents. While I think some of the mods on that forum may take their frustration to a bit of an extreme, their requests for forum users use propper grammar are not unreasonable.

    You are an adult applying for a professional law enforcement job. It should not be too difficult for you to write a post in comprehensible English. Stop whining, grow some thick skin, and take the extra 30 seconds to proofread your posts there. If that is too much for you then simply look up the answers to your questions yourself. Thousands of agents have successfully made it though the hiring process and academy without advice from honorfirst,com or any other web forum.
    Last edited by BigPat; 03-10-2009, 10:41 AM.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by AlcatrazT2 View Post
      I agree. It's a discussion forum that certainly does not give their members the opportunity to discuss whatever is on their mind.

      I think I'll avoid that place and post here from now on. Thankfully, the agents here are laid back and understand where all of us applicants are coming from.

      I asked a theoretical question as to why a dismissed citation would be used against me as an 'offense' during the hiring process and they got all up on my case. Give me a break, you neither know me (whether I was speeding or not) nor the citing officer (whether he was doing his job correctly or not).

      I came out of there as a person who likes to lie and state that law enforcement officers can't do their job correctly .
      I just read the thread on honor first, and you still seem to be missing the point of what everybody was telling you. A traffic offense (especially one that is dismissed in court) is not a big deal and most certainly will not disqualify you. Not disclosing that you received a ticket could very easily disqualify you. Whatever justification you have for an arrest or citation does not change the fact that you were arrested (or cited). Not disclosing stuff like that on an SF86 can cause big problems for you. That's what they were trying to tell you. Disclose that you were arrested/cited and disclose the disposition (not guilty) and you should have no problems at all. They were trying to help you, but I guess the message still hasn't sunk in.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by BigPat View Post
        I just read the thread on honor first, and you still seem to be missing the point of what everybody was telling you. A traffic offense (especially one that is dismissed in court) is not a big deal and most certainly will not disqualify you. Not disclosing that you received a ticket could very easily disqualify you. Whatever justification you have for an arrest or citation does not change the fact that you were arrested (or cited). Not disclosing stuff like that on an SF86 can cause big problems for you. That's what they were trying to tell you. Disclose that you were arrested/cited and disclose the disposition (not guilty) and you should have no problems at all. They were trying to help you, but I guess the message still hasn't sunk in.
        First and foremost, I appreciate the straight forward answer. This is the type of answer I was looking for.

        The discussion turned into another court room hearing between the plaintiff and the defendant . The theoretical question as to why a dismissed citation could be used against me as a possible offense in court was blown out of proportion and I probably won't be posting there anymore.

        My mistake.

        I didn't include the citation in my SF-86 because I was found 'not guilty.' I should've asked but I hope now it's not too late. Since I can't go back and edit my SF-86, will disclosing the citation/disposition during my interview be enough? If I can do anything beforehand to fix this mistake, I'll be more than happy to do so.
        Last edited by AlcatrazT2; 03-10-2009, 02:33 AM.
        United States Border Patrol
        08/2009 - Tentative Scheduling Unit.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by AlcatrazT2 View Post
          I agree. It's a discussion forum that certainly does not give their members the opportunity to discuss whatever is on their mind.

          I think I'll avoid that place and post here from now on. Thankfully, the agents here are laid back and understand where all of us applicants are coming from.

          I asked a theoretical question as to why a dismissed citation would be used against me as an 'offense' during the hiring process and they got all up on my case. Give me a break, you neither know me (whether I was speeding or not) nor the citing officer (whether he was doing his job correctly or not).

          I came out of there as a person who likes to lie and state that law enforcement officers can't do their job correctly .
          Funny thing about that. The Agents that answer questions there are the same ones who answer questions here. Don't flatter yourself either, I didn't chase you here, I spend more time here than the other board.

          I don't know you, I only know what you posted, and I answered your question. You then questioned my answer. Did you want to know or not? If you didn't like what you heard, I'm sorry, that's just the way it is. If you think that Agents are harsh in that forum, then you are going to experience a very rude awakening when you arrive at your station. You need to grow some thicker skin.

          Oh, by the way, you didn't come across as someone who lied. I also don't know where you came up with that bit about LE not doing their job correctly either.

          What you come across as, both there and here, is someone who got spoken to abruptly and got teary eyed.

          To both you and the other guy who don't like Honorfirst I merely say this: If you don't like it, don't go.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by thereaperman
            I totally agree with Alcatraz.. people that ask a question about smoking a little pot three or four years ago shouldn't be attacked and called drug addicts, drug funders, or even killers in some cases. It is ridiculous. You ask a question and you have people jumping on you, taking personal shots at you and I don't want to hear "oh better get used to it", or, "oh then you can't hack it with border patrol", or "it will toughen you up"..its called respect and common courtesy. The grammar, okay, I understand that.
            I'm not an Agent, but can't you kind of see where they are coming from? One of the major drugs that is brought across the southern border is marijuana. Those Agents that try to prevent that drug from being brought across are have rocks thrown at them, vehicles try to run them over and are often shot at. I think it leads those agents to feel pretty passionate about that sort of thing. So when you ask questions about drug use, maybe they are thinking about the guy who shot at them last night because they were trying to bust up his load of pot.

            Furthermore, those agents are there on that site at their pleasure, they owe you nothing. If you don't like the way those agents respond, why would you be on that forum? For a lot of people who have questions, it can be a great resource. I understand what you are saying about them jumping on you, it happened to me by my 2nd post, but I thought about it, maybe what they are trying to do is get people to think, to read, and stop being so lazy. If a line of law enforcement is in your future, you will be pushed very hard in very unkind ways to see how you deal with these things.

            Just my .02 cents. Good luck with whatever you do.
            Originally Posted by Law100
            Note to everyone: notice how respect I am

            Comment


            • Originally posted by BPA2Be View Post
              Ok, I had my interview back in august and failed , I just reactivated and Im trying to find all the help I can so I will be more prepared for my next interview, I know you cant really help me a lot because of the confidentiality agreement but any general help that could be given will be greatly appreciated.
              Just polish up what you think you messed up on last time. You should have a leg up since you went to the interview before, just don't be nervous and answer sincerely, if you want the job bad enough it'll show and you'll pass.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by pappabacon View Post
                Furthermore, those agents are there on that site at their pleasure, they owe you nothing. If you don't like the way those agents respond, why would you be on that forum? For a lot of people who have questions, it can be a great resource. I understand what you are saying about them jumping on you, it happened to me by my 2nd post, but I thought about it, maybe what they are trying to do is get people to think, to read, and stop being so lazy. If a line of law enforcement is in your future, you will be pushed very hard in very unkind ways to see how you deal with these things.

                Just my .02 cents. Good luck with whatever you do.
                Many of us are on that site for our pleasure too, in hopes of becoming PA's who will serve and protect our country, without expecting anything from anyone either.

                I guess I'm a little lucky though. Instead of jumping on me by the 2nd post like they did to you, I got jumped on by the 3rd post .

                This is what I wrote over there:
                You guys need to lighten up a bit. This is the web forum on the internet that is supposed to encourage socialization. In case you're wondering, it's not FLETC for all of you to get up in our face and question whatever we have to say. The third post: 'So you assert that the law enforcement officer lied?' along with the fourth post: 'You will be hoping that some day, your observations can be that good' were biased. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out all of the favoritism there now, does it? When I stated 'I never said the law enforcement officer lied. However, they are human beings that are capable of making mistakes. There's a big distinction between both' no one responded to that. For a while, silence was golden and I appreciated it every much. In case you were wondering, I wasn't trying to be insubordinate. I just asked why a dismissed citation where one is not found guilty for should be listed is an offense. It was a theoretical question and the logic behind it is quite simple. If I didn't do it, why should I list it under the category of things I did. I came out of here with things such as 'accountability and responsibility are completely foreign concepts in your universe.' Nevertheless, I'm glad JB spelled it out for me 'I'm trying to instruct you on the change in attitude you must make.' Perhaps thats what the motive behind all of your posts here is. I appreciate it but please, lighten up. I'm just another person in the same shoes you were once in.

                I should mention, along the way, I constantly reiterated the fact that I WILL be disclosing this incident to my BI. For Pete's sake, I wanted to clarify what 'contact' is so I don't miss anything during my interview. Seems to me if I tell one of you, 'It's 95 degrees here in San Diego' you'll jump out of your seats, call me a lier, and then assert that it's not 95 but 96.8.
                I was then accused of BAD MOUTHING them here to which I responded:
                I never bad mouthed anyone here. If anything, I stated some personal observations made by myself after reading some posts directed towards me. I don't see me making any loaded statements like the ones directed towards me: 'So you assert that the law enforcement officer lied?' along with 'You will be hoping that some day, your observations can be that good.' In case you're wondering, this is the reason I wrote: 'I came out of there as a person who likes to lie and state that law enforcement officers can't do their job correctly.' The smilies should indicate to you a bit of sarcasm there.

                Other than that, I don't see any bad mouthing with the statements "I agree. It's a discussion forum that certainly does not give their members the opportunity to discuss whatever is on their mind. I think I'll avoid that place and post here from now on. Thankfully, the agents here are laid back and understand where all of us applicants are coming from." Since when is stating the fact that you are not 'laid back' bad mouthing you? Should I go ahead and accuse you for telling me to 'lighten up?'

                If you want to ban me, go ahead but please don't put words into my mouth. I don't appreciate it.
                No I fear the ban hammer over at Honor First .

                Edit: I just deleted my account over at Honor First. Not the first, won't be the last either...
                Last edited by AlcatrazT2; 03-10-2009, 03:51 PM.
                United States Border Patrol
                08/2009 - Tentative Scheduling Unit.

                Comment


                • Well I found a couple pennies in my back pocket so here they are......
                  People who have never experimented with pot could likely try it just as a person who already has a time long time-ago. Someone who smoked years ago, experimental, not habitual, apparently tried it and decided that wasn't the road they wanted to take, they were at that crossroad and took the right road in not trying it again....While on the other hand, someone who has never tried it (possibly b/c they have never had the opportunity to in school or wherever) could have the thought in the back of there head..."I really do kind of wonder what it would be like to try it"....and once they are presented with that opportunity to stuff a little in their pocket, who's to say they won't.
                  Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying by any means that just because someone hasn't tried pot that they will if given the opportunity, but just because someone hasn't doesn't mean they won't.
                  Last edited by BM150280; 03-10-2009, 03:32 PM. Reason: b/c

                  Comment


                  • WooT, My CASS is back up. Only thing that says Completed is the drug screening for now, on my fitness, it says Not Applicable, anyone know what that means? The lady I last spoke to at MHC, told me the fitness was passed and it would still be active
                    BPA:
                    Written Test: Passed (97%)
                    Reactivated Feb 09
                    Pre-Employment Forms: Completed
                    Qualifications: Qualified GL-7
                    Medical Exam: Completed
                    Drug Test: Completed
                    Fitness: Completed
                    Oral Board: Completedhttp://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6315/dancing.gif
                    Background Investigation: Completed


                    IEA ICE
                    Written Test: Passed (80% )
                    Oral Interview: Passed 07/14/09
                    Paperwork Sent In And No Idea When I'll Get An Answer

                    Comment


                    • For those of you who desire to use it, there is a chat room set aside for Agents and Applicants.

                      This chatroom is advertised on Honorfirst, but is not a part of Honorfirst. The only rules that apply there are the ones on the chat login, though there are....crusty.... people who stop by from time to time. Feel free to stop by.

                      http://velbar.tripod.com/USBP/usbp_hiring_chat.html

                      Solohammer
                      Last edited by Solohammer; 03-10-2009, 05:22 PM.

                      Comment


                      • I am not sure where the grammar discussion began, but I can understand both points. I do not expect to see perfect grammar on a message board, but I would expect to see professional writing ability conveyed on a formal report. With that being said, the point seems to be that one must display their professional abilities (to write for instance) while discussing a professional position or occupation that requires a high degree of professionalism, regardless of the medium.

                        I'm happy to clear that up for everyone.

                        Just a thought: Maybe individual crim. questions should just be discussed through private messages. That may be the best forum for those types of discussions.

                        PS: My roommate left for Iraq this week and the local news didn't bother to show up for the send-off. Several local PDs and some DOJ agents helped with the escort to the airport. Parking was solid for blocks. I felt so proud of my local media that I sent them a heartfelt letter . I bet they show up next time. Sadly, they shouldn't have needed the reminder.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by AlcatrazT2 View Post
                          Many of us are on that site for our pleasure too, in hopes of becoming PA's who will serve and protect our country, without expecting anything from anyone either.

                          I guess I'm a little lucky though. Instead of jumping on me by the 2nd post like they did to you, I got jumped on by the 3rd post .

                          This is what I wrote over there:


                          I was then accused of BAD MOUTHING them here to which I responded:


                          No I fear the ban hammer over at Honor First .

                          Edit: I just deleted my account over at Honor First. Not the first, won't be the last either...

                          ~sigh~

                          I tried to answer your question without any bashing and instead you basically showed me your middle finger. I noticed you went back and deleted all your posts. I noticed this because I actually went back to see if maybe I came down too hard on you. I read my posts to you, and I'll stand by them. The way you ****ed on me after I tried to help you bothered me for an hour or two, but I got over it. I'm sure you will too.

                          I'll say it again, if you don't like that site, then don't go there. No one's twisting your arm. If you think it's all niceness here, then you haven't read some of the replies on some of the other threads.

                          Anyway, stay safe out there.

                          Comment


                          • Maybe we should send him to check the fence...

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Solohammer View Post
                              ~sigh~

                              I tried to answer your question without any bashing and instead you basically showed me your middle finger. I noticed you went back and deleted all your posts. I noticed this because I actually went back to see if maybe I came down too hard on you. I read my posts to you, and I'll stand by them. The way you ****ed on me after I tried to help you bothered me for an hour or two, but I got over it. I'm sure you will too.

                              I'll say it again, if you don't like that site, then don't go there. No one's twisting your arm. If you think it's all niceness here, then you haven't read some of the replies on some of the other threads.

                              Anyway, stay safe out there.
                              I apologize if my sarcasm came out the wrong way. My post directed to you had a lot of quotation marks which referenced to the theoretical question I had asked for the sake of discussion. I tried to lighten things up a bit but even after that, I kept on getting bashed. To be honest with you, I appreciated your posts and your ability to try to answer my question without any bashing. However, there are many power tripping posters in there and I'm done with that forum. Like I said, I'm not the first and I won't be the last either. I registered with great intentions, a positive attitude, and even thanked all PA's for what they do. A day later, I deleted my account feeling ridiculed. I expect that in the academy but to get that out of a forum is a bit too much. I know individuals like JB are trying to 'prepare' applicants for the academy but keep in mind that there is so much you can do with the use of loaded words and phrases on a web forum.

                              I applied to the Border Patrol because this is an agency that I have great deal of respect for and the hiring process has been great so far despite so many ups and downs. I'm not trying to make anyone feel guilty and I'm pretty sure no one really cares about what I have to say, but the attitude of Honor First has been the most discouraging so far.

                              God Bless you and thank you for taking the time to bear with us. We applicants look up to you and hope to join you sometime in the near future.

                              Regards.

                              In case anyone else is wondering, I mailed my Farnsworth D-15 scores last week and today CASS updated. At last, I am medically cleared!
                              United States Border Patrol
                              08/2009 - Tentative Scheduling Unit.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by AlcatrazT2 View Post
                                I apologize if my sarcasm came out the wrong way. My post directed to you had a lot of quotation marks which referenced to the theoretical question I had asked for the sake of discussion. I tried to lighten things up a bit but even after that, I kept on getting bashed. To be honest with you, I appreciated your posts and your ability to try to answer my question without any bashing. However, there are many power tripping posters in there and I'm done with that forum. Like I said, I'm not the first and I won't be the last either. I registered with great intentions, a positive attitude, and even thanked all PA's for what they do. A day later, I deleted my account feeling ridiculed. I expect that in the academy but to get that out of a forum is a bit too much. I know individuals like JB are trying to 'prepare' applicants for the academy but keep in mind that there is so much you can do with the use of loaded words and phrases on a web forum.

                                I applied to the Border Patrol because this is an agency that I have great deal of respect for and the hiring process has been great so far despite so many ups and downs. I'm not trying to make anyone feel guilty and I'm pretty sure no one really cares about what I have to say, but the attitude of Honor First has been the most discouraging so far.

                                God Bless you and thank you for taking the time to bear with us. We applicants look up to you and hope to join you sometime in the near future.

                                Regards.

                                In case anyone else is wondering, I mailed my Farnsworth D-15 scores last week and today CASS updated. At last, I am medically cleared!
                                Congratulations on the medical clearing. I finally showed up in CASS today, same day I mailed my background/life story packet. I only have 1 check mark, 6 more to go!
                                Originally Posted by Law100
                                Note to everyone: notice how respect I am

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 5627 users online. 331 members and 5296 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X