Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Border Patrol Agent

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • it took about 2and a half months for my BI to clear through the security office. I then recieved a letter saying that in the next 30 days I would get my academy and EOD date.
    5 weeks in TSU.

    Comment


    • Does somebody know if we are going to get pay overtime during the academy? I know the training will be Monay thru Friday but I don't know how many hours per day. It will be nice if we start with the overtime since training.
      Thanks Low cl*** and TPA3312 for your previous answers.
      Last edited by ESCARLATA; 03-05-2009, 02:11 PM.

      Comment


      • Another question about my employment.

        Since I'm not working right now, and assuming this situation will be the same when I get into the BI phase, will the background investigator meet with my last employer, or just with me? Do they meet with all previous employers, or just call for verification? I only ask because my employment history is split between two different cities several hours apart from each other. I wasn't sure how that would be handled.

        I found an SF-86 form online, and just looking it over, it seems like there isn't much detail besides employment, credit, and residence checks. I'm assuming the background investigator will go into much more detail into these, and then also into things like undetected crimes, etc.

        Any input on this?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by NCSam160 View Post
          Another question about my employment.

          Since I'm not working right now, and assuming this situation will be the same when I get into the BI phase, will the background investigator meet with my last employer, or just with me? Do they meet with all previous employers, or just call for verification? I only ask because my employment history is split between two different cities several hours apart from each other. I wasn't sure how that would be handled.

          I found an SF-86 form online, and just looking it over, it seems like there isn't much detail besides employment, credit, and residence checks. I'm assuming the background investigator will go into much more detail into these, and then also into things like undetected crimes, etc.

          Any input on this?

          What my recruiting agent told me was, "this is the federal government, so money is not an option. While your local PD or Sheriffs Dept might have a few officers that do BI duties, the BP will hire a private investigator for each applicant to make it to that point. They will knock on your door, your neighbors doors, people that have worked or gone to school with you. The process takes so long because it is extremely thorough." So take from that what you will. Good luck!
          Originally Posted by Law100
          Note to everyone: notice how respect I am

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Hope2BPA View Post
            I got a call today from my father and it was basically to discourage me from joining the BP. He works for the FBI and his co-workers were telling him to try to change my mind.(none of them are SA's) They were saying that the pay isn't good, the work sucks,and so on.....basically a bunch of BS in my POV. He wants me to apply for the SSG position with the FBI wich I am not interested in at all. Basically, I just want to get him off my back. He wants me to stay in the CG for a while. He even mentioned the Secret Service Uniformed Division. Not sure what his deal is against the BP. From my understanding, a GS pay grade is a GS paygrade right? No difference in pay unless you are LE wich BP is! Plus the AUO.

            This is the second time he's tried to change my mind about the BP. This first time it worked and I pulled my application. Im not going to change my mind this time but would like to get him off my back as I said before!!!!! Any input is appreciated. Feel like I'm 12 years old again! haha
            I would imagine he is just looking out for you. Sounds like the jobs he is suggesting for you are the ones with minimal risk. BP has the possibility to get nasty especially with the mexican drug cartels establishing themselves (in a very violent manner) in those border towns. When I joined my local PD, my mother did the same thing with me. Now days I am trying to make the move to safer positions in order to give myself the best chance of not getting hurt.

            No one could have told me. I had to figure it out for myself.

            Do what you got to do.
            Better to fight for something than live for nothing.

            -Patton

            Comment


            • Originally posted by NCSam160 View Post
              Another question about my employment.

              Since I'm not working right now, and assuming this situation will be the same when I get into the BI phase, will the background investigator meet with my last employer, or just with me? Do they meet with all previous employers, or just call for verification? I only ask because my employment history is split between two different cities several hours apart from each other. I wasn't sure how that would be handled.

              I found an SF-86 form online, and just looking it over, it seems like there isn't much detail besides employment, credit, and residence checks. I'm assuming the background investigator will go into much more detail into these, and then also into things like undetected crimes, etc.

              Any input on this?
              The SF-86 that you fill out for Border Patrol will be online. After you took your written and passed, you should've received a green booklet and a packet that explains everything. Your BI will talk to everyone you put down on the SF-86 as well as others not in the packet. Make sure you don't leave any gaps in between employment periods, if you were or are unemployed make sure you state that. Be up front with everything because if you lie or omit something your canned.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by want2baleo86 View Post
                The SF-86 that you fill out for Border Patrol will be online. After you took your written and passed, you should've received a green booklet and a packet that explains everything. Your BI will talk to everyone you put down on the SF-86 as well as others not in the packet. Make sure you don't leave any gaps in between employment periods, if you were or are unemployed make sure you state that. Be up front with everything because if you lie or omit something your canned.
                Agreed, and I hadn't planned on omitting or deceiving them. I've been through application processes with local PD's before. I know the quicker they get these forms back, the quicker the process goes.

                I was mostly asking about specifics so that way I can get stuff together that isn't asked on the SF-86. That way, I know what I need to put down, and I don't have to continuously correct forms because I forgot to put it down the first time. I did that at a previous background, and it added two months to my BI.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by NCSam160 View Post
                  Agreed, and I hadn't planned on omitting or deceiving them. I've been through application processes with local PD's before. I know the quicker they get these forms back, the quicker the process goes.

                  I was mostly asking about specifics so that way I can get stuff together that isn't asked on the SF-86. That way, I know what I need to put down, and I don't have to continuously correct forms because I forgot to put it down the first time. I did that at a previous background, and it added two months to my BI.
                  I'm not sure what you mean. There are specific directions on that form that tell you everything that needs to be put on it. What would you forget to put down and have to correct? And I agree with want2baleo86, they do not like you to "forget" to put down anything. If you read through some of these boards people have a high likelihood of being DQ'd for not following instructions to the T and filling out every section of the form. Part of the instructions are "All sections on this form must be answered. If no response is necessary or applicable, indicate this on the form with "N/A" unless otherwise noted."
                  Last edited by pappabacon; 03-05-2009, 04:50 PM. Reason: Added information
                  Originally Posted by Law100
                  Note to everyone: notice how respect I am

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by pappabacon View Post
                    I'm not sure what you mean. There are specific directions on that form that tell you everything that needs to be put on it. What would you forget to put down and have to correct?
                    Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear. I actually haven't applied yet. It'll be about a year before I do. I was simply asking about those other questions, the things not asked on the SF-86, so that way I can start gathering information for answers now. That way I don't have to send in corrections when I do apply. I don't want to be one of those guys that forgets to put stuff down. I want to be open and honest about everything. I just figured that if I knew what they were asking now, I could better prepare myself to answer those questions when the time comes.

                    I'm assuming it's pretty much the same kind of stuff on a standard personal history statement that I've had to fill out for local PDs. But I figured it's better to ask.
                    Last edited by NCSam160; 03-05-2009, 04:53 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by NCSam160 View Post
                      Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear. I actually haven't applied yet. It'll be about a year before I do. I was simply asking about those other questions, the things not asked on the SF-86, so that way I can start gathering information for answers now. That way I don't have to send in corrections when I do apply.

                      I'm assuming it's pretty much the same kind of stuff on a standard personal history statement that I've had to fill out for local PDs. But I figured it's better to ask.
                      I see. I just got finished filling out the 2lbs of paperwork. The best way I can describe it is you need to gather information about everything you have done for the last 10 years. You need to be able to account for all work time and in between, all school time, all housing time. Lots of information. But don't worry, when you apply, if you pass the test, they will give you lots of instructions to help you along your way.
                      Originally Posted by Law100
                      Note to everyone: notice how respect I am

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by pappabacon View Post
                        I see. I just got finished filling out the 2lbs of paperwork. The best way I can describe it is you need to gather information about everything you have done for the last 10 years. You need to be able to account for all work time and in between, all school time, all housing time. Lots of information. But don't worry, when you apply, if you pass the test, they will give you lots of instructions to help you along your way.
                        Thanks for the response! Even though I have a year until I apply, I believe in being prepared.

                        Comment


                        • Just curious, is there a Border Patrol Agent oath of any kind?
                          I googled it, but have not found anything.
                          Border Patrol Timeline
                          Studied my rear off - 1/22/2009 -2/10/2009
                          Entrance exam: passed - 2/11/2009
                          Recieved T.O. - 2/11/2009
                          Oral board exam: passed - 2/17/2009
                          Sent paperwork - 2/21/2009
                          Fitness test: passed - 3/6/2009
                          Drug test: passed - 3/13/2009
                          Medical exam: passed - 3/19/2009
                          Qualifications: accepted GL5 - 4/2/2009

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by CBP2b View Post
                            Just curious, is there a Border Patrol Agent oath of any kind?
                            I googled it, but have not found anything.
                            Yes, It is very similar to the officer oath for the military.

                            BPA
                            04/2008 - Applied for Border Patrol Agent position. (USA Jobs)
                            5/2008 - Compressed/Expedited Testing - PASSED (Score: 87.0 +5)
                            6/2008 - Paperwork/e-QIP - SENT
                            6/2008 - Oral Interview/Urine Analysis/Medical/Physical Fitness - PASSED
                            10/2008 – BI started
                            11/2008 – BI completed (2 weeks) Investigator was helpful in keeping me informed.
                            12/22/2008 - DD-214 and retirement orders sent to hiring center.
                            12/31/2008 – Retired from Navy (21yrs 4mos)
                            01/21/2009 – BI cleared adjudication.
                            02/05/2009 – Referred to Training and Scheduling
                            Presently – Waiting for “the Call”

                            Comment


                            • Question regarding the SF-86.

                              Parents divorced ever since I was 2 years of age. I do not keep in touch with him for obvious reasons. On the SF-86, I put down my biological dad's legal first/last name as well as the University at which he works at. If asked to give him a call right now, I don't have access to his telephone number. If asked to send him a letter, I don't have access to this home address. Making things short, I never called him or wrote to him because there was no desire to do so. This is noted in the area where I can given an 'explanation.' I hope my BI doesn't think I'm full of it and am not presenting complete information.

                              Has anyone been in a situation similar to mine?
                              United States Border Patrol
                              08/2009 - Tentative Scheduling Unit.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by ESCARLATA View Post
                                Does somebody know if we are going to get pay overtime during the academy? I know the training will be Monay thru Friday but I don't know how many hours per day. It will be nice if we start with the overtime since training.
                                Thanks Low cl*** and TPA3312 for your previous answers.
                                For the most part you will not get any premium pay during the academy. Maybe a few hours of night dif... You aren't certified for AUP until you graduate and return to your sector.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 4456 users online. 213 members and 4243 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X