300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by alecseborp View Post
    So what's the difference between border patrol and cbpo? What does it stand for and how do you apply at each?
    Customs and Border Protection Officer: The work at Ports Of Entry, Airports, Seaports, and Mail facilities. There may be other places that I don't know about. They wear a blue uniform. You'll see a lot of them on Homeland Security (the show that's on tv)

Border Patrol: We work between the POEs along the border and in back up areas from the border. We work primarily outdoors and alone. We do a great deal of work that is simaler to general police work, but also a great deal of work that isn't.

Both CBPOs and BPAs are empowered to enforce Immigration, Customs, and Controlled Substance laws, as well as the rest of the Federal Code.

You can apply by looking for the announcements on USAJOBS. Parts of the process are the same, others aren't.

Good luck.

Comment

• I read on the BP website, and have always heard, that everyone goes to the southwest border for the first assignment. Does this mean the postings on USAJOBS for the Canadian Border are for current BP Agents?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheNewbie View Post
        I read on the BP website, and have always heard, that everyone goes to the southwest border for the first assignment. Does this mean the postings on USAJOBS for the Canadian Border are for current BP Agents?
        The government has decided to allow entry level applicants to apply for the NB. It has been discussed here, on HonorFirst, on the CBP.gov, and the vacancy announcement on USAJOBS.

IMHO, everyone should go to the SW border for a minimum of three years, if you apply to the NB you are selling yourself short in the long run...

Comment

• Originally posted by madchiken View Post
          The government has decided to allow entry level applicants to apply for the NB. It has been discussed here, on HonorFirst, on the CBP.gov, and the vacancy announcement on USAJOBS.

IMHO, everyone should go to the SW border for a minimum of three years, if you apply to the NB you are selling yourself short in the long run...
          Thanks for the reply. I just finished reading the WHOLE job posting on USA JOBS. I should have paid closer attention, sorry.

It still says you will spend 15 months training on the southwest border.

Comment

• 15 months is nothing, especially when you figure that 5 of those are in the academy. It takes a couple years, at a busy SW border station, to learn how to do this job.

Comment

• Transfers

Originally posted by madchiken View Post

Then again, I've read and heard that transfers are very difficult to get, especially for the northern border. I completely understand your point though.

Comment

• I wonder if they would let me keep my Texas peace officer license by reserving somewhere if I was on the Texas border?

Comment

• Is The Bpa Test Hard?

Comment

I wonder if they would let me keep my Texas peace officer license by reserving somewhere if I was on the Texas border?
                    I seriously doubt that off duty employment, paid or otherwise, of that kind would be allowed. In your first two years I would say it is impossible to engage in working for another agency. Maybe later but I really doubt it. If you want to be a state or local cop in Texas that is great. I'm sure their are many good departments hiring but don't try to get hired by the Patrol. It takes a great deal of work, time and energy to learn this job. Having a side gig after hiking up and down and up and down mountains all day is not going to workout. On your off days you sleep and study your maps. Learning your maps in itself is like a full time job, after you get off work. If you want to be a cop in TX or you are a cop in TX and you like it I think you should really think long and hard about the Patrol. I not trying to be mean or anything like that to you. I'm just saying this job is a BIG commitment after you leave the academy. The academy is a joke compared to what you will have to learn on the job. Think long and hard if this is what you really want. I've got to go study my maps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Solohammer View Post
                      Customs and Border Protection Officer: The work at Ports Of Entry, Airports, Seaports, and Mail facilities. There may be other places that I don't know about. They wear a blue uniform. You'll see a lot of them on Homeland Security (the show that's on tv)

Border Patrol: We work between the POEs along the border and in back up areas from the border. We work primarily outdoors and alone. We do a great deal of work that is simaler to general police work, but also a great deal of work that isn't.

Both CBPOs and BPAs are empowered to enforce Immigration, Customs, and Controlled Substance laws, as well as the rest of the Federal Code.

You can apply by looking for the announcements on USAJOBS. Parts of the process are the same, others aren't.

Good luck.
                      But only Border Patrol Agents Wear green!
                      Border Patrol Timeline
                      Studied my rear off - 1/22/2009 -2/10/2009
                      Entrance exam: passed - 2/11/2009
                      Recieved T.O. - 2/11/2009
                      Oral board exam: passed - 2/17/2009
                      Sent paperwork - 2/21/2009
                      Fitness test: passed - 3/6/2009
                      Drug test: passed - 3/13/2009
                      Medical exam: passed - 3/19/2009
                      Qualifications: accepted GL5 - 4/2/2009

Comment

• Originally posted by dubb18 View Post
                        Is The Bpa Test Hard?
                        Yes, it was quite challenging. If you head over to cbp.gov click careers and you can download the study guides in pdf form.

Also check out http://honorfirst.com
                        for all your Border Patrol Agent questions
                        Border Patrol Timeline

Comment

• Originally posted by CBP2b View Post
                          But only Border Patrol Agents Wear green!
                          They also have USBP Timelines instead of CBP Timelines...

Comment

• Originally posted by SHU View Post
                            I seriously doubt that off duty employment, paid or otherwise, of that kind would be allowed. In your first two years I would say it is impossible to engage in working for another agency. Maybe later but I really doubt it. If you want to be a state or local cop in Texas that is great. I'm sure their are many good departments hiring but don't try to get hired by the Patrol. It takes a great deal of work, time and energy to learn this job. Having a side gig after hiking up and down and up and down mountains all day is not going to workout. On your off days you sleep and study your maps. Learning your maps in itself is like a full time job, after you get off work. If you want to be a cop in TX or you are a cop in TX and you like it I think you should really think long and hard about the Patrol. I not trying to be mean or anything like that to you. I'm just saying this job is a BIG commitment after you leave the academy. The academy is a joke compared to what you will have to learn on the job. Think long and hard if this is what you really want. I've got to go study my maps.

The off-duty carry requirements are less restrictive for local and state LEO, and I would hate to give this benefit up. I am not saying I wouldn't, but I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.

This may seem like a minor, nit picky issue to some, but it is important to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by madchiken View Post
                              They also have USBP Timelines instead of CBP Timelines...
                              Your right! The color text was a nice touch
                              Border Patrol Timeline

Comment

The off-duty carry requirements are less restrictive for local and state LEO, and I would hate to give this benefit up.
                                Huh? I think you may have been told something by someone who heard something from a guy who knows someone...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9240 users online. 393 members and 8847 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X