Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Border Patrol Agent

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Removed by owner
    Last edited by TPA3312; 06-12-2009, 04:38 PM.
    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

    Comment


    • Removed by owner
      Last edited by TPA3312; 06-12-2009, 04:38 PM.
      Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

      Comment


      • Originally posted by TPA3312 View Post
        Good news. I got the call from my BI yesterday. And will be meeting with him today. Is it normal for the BI to meet with a spouse, and does anyone know what kind of questions will be asked?
        Why wouldn't he meet with your spouse? Would a person's spouse not know a lot about an applicant? He's also going to meet with every person listed in your BI forms and some that weren't.


        Originally posted by TPA3312 View Post
        Plus, has anyone had any troubles verifying the BI’s authorization with OPM before meeting? I got the call yesterday from the BI, then immediately afterwards I called the OPM investigator verification hotline. I gave the lady I talked to at OPM the investigator’s name, company, and telephone number, but never got a positive verification. She said she will have to call me back about an hour before the meeting.
        Uh.. if they show up with your SF-86 in their hand I'm pretty sure they are legit... Also, they don't work for OPM so whatever system you are trying to verify their authorization (don't really understand why..) isn't likely to work.

        Edit to add: I think you may have these backwards... BPA (Florida) CBPO (SW Texas)
        Last edited by madchiken; 02-12-2009, 08:50 AM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by madchiken View Post
          Uh.. if they show up with your SF-86 in their hand I'm pretty sure they are legit... Also, they don't work for OPM so whatever system you are trying to verify their authorization (don't really understand why..) isn't likely to work.
          I met with the investigator today and everything went well and lasted just over two hours. He did have my full SF-86, and I learned OPM wasn't able to locate him because his last name on his credentials was misspelled. The day before when we scheduled the interview, he told me the company he worked for and that they were contracted by DHS-BP, supervised under OPM to do background investigations. Madchicken, I’m not sure how you know, or where you got your information, that is just what he told me. During the interview he did say I was the first applicant that had ever tried to verify his credentials in his 4 year career of investigations. Call me cautious, but I wanted to make sure I knew who I was giving my documents to.
          Last edited by TPA3312; 02-12-2009, 06:30 PM. Reason: Grammer
          Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

          Comment


          • So what's the difference between border patrol and cbpo? What does it stand for and how do you apply at each?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by alecseborp View Post
              So what's the difference between border patrol and cbpo? What does it stand for and how do you apply at each?
              From my understanding CBPO (Customs & Border Protection Officer) are the guys stationed at ports of entry and mail facilites. Border Patrol are the guys stationed at the border protecting against illegal entry.

              www.usajobs.gov is a good site for finding positions.
              Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

              Comment


              • Northern Border "protectors"

                Any future BPAs already contacted by TSU and slotted for Northern Border preference received the call of destiny yet?

                Still anxiously waiting here...

                I'm gonna go nuts if i have to wait until Fall, especially after seeing that they opened up more Northern Border spots per USAjobs.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by TPA3312 View Post
                  I met with the investigator today and everything went well and lasted just over two hours. He did have my full SF-86, and I learned OPM wasn't able to locate him because his last name on his credentials was misspelled. The day before when we scheduled the interview, he told me the company he worked for and that they were contracted by DHS-BP, supervised under OPM to do background investigations. Madchicken, I’m not sure how you know, or where you got your information, that is just what he told me. During the interview he did say I was the first applicant that had ever tried to verify his credentials in his 4 year career of investigations. Call me cautious, but I wanted to make sure I knew who I was giving my documents to.
                  Originally posted by madchiken View Post
                  Why wouldn't he meet with your spouse? Would a person's spouse not know a lot about an applicant? He's also going to meet with every person listed in your BI forms and some that weren't.




                  Uh.. if they show up with your SF-86 in their hand I'm pretty sure they are legit... Also, they don't work for OPM so whatever system you are trying to verify their authorization (don't really understand why..) isn't likely to work.

                  Edit to add: I think you may have these backwards... BPA (Florida) CBPO (SW Texas)

                  I was told by CBP that my Background Investigator would not be from OPM and would be working for CBP. The background investigator told me that he does not work for CBP but was contracted, working part time, for various agencies...i assumed he probably did most of his work with OPM. However, i'm not sure and i can't remember his ID in particular. Overall, my BI for CIS and for CBP was more pleasant than expected. Honesty is the best policy!

                  Comment


                  • I would fully agree with honesty is the best policy. During the interview we basicly just went over everything in the SF-86, explaining more in detail some points. He checked and copied passport, DL, HS/college diploma, and marriage/birth certificate. He also said he would visit local previous employers, schools within 5 years, and listed personal references.
                    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

                    Comment


                    • So lets say I apply and get accepted. Do they supply to weaponry? Or am I going to have to buy my own.

                      Also since it is a live in academy, how much time do you have to move all of your stuff to the area where you are posted, once the academy is over. Like flying back home, packing all my stuff up and starting a new life. I mean, I have two cars and a bike which I don't really want to rush it all in a weekend

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by alecseborp View Post
                        So lets say I apply and get accepted. Do they supply to weaponry? Or am I going to have to buy my own.

                        Also since it is a live in academy, how much time do you have to move all of your stuff to the area where you are posted, once the academy is over. Like flying back home, packing all my stuff up and starting a new life. I mean, I have two cars and a bike which I don't really want to rush it all in a weekend
                        Time to get to reading:

                        http://cbp.gov

                        http://www.honorfirst.com

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by alecseborp View Post
                          So lets say I apply and get accepted. Do they supply to weaponry? Or am I going to have to buy my own.

                          Also since it is a live in academy, how much time do you have to move all of your stuff to the area where you are posted, once the academy is over. Like flying back home, packing all my stuff up and starting a new life. I mean, I have two cars and a bike which I don't really want to rush it all in a weekend
                          To quickly answer most of your questions, this is what I found. I would also suggest you to read the FAQs from the sites "madchicken" suggested in the previous post, but I also like to help.
                          --------------------
                          Q. What gun does the Border Patrol use? Can I use my own gun?

                          A. The Border Patrol uses the H&K P2000. It is a .40 caliber semi auto pistol. Personally owned guns must be approved by your Chief Patrol Agent in charge of your sector.
                          [Source]

                          SQ4. Do I get time to go home and get my stuff and find a place to live before I report to my station for duty after the academy?

                          SA4. You will accumulate a few days of annual leave during your academy stay. Use it wisely. During your last week or two at the academy, be looking on the internet for a place to live, or contact a buddy who left the academy before you who went to the same area. Have your SigOth do the looking for you while you are dragging your car and junk there.
                          [Source]

                          SQ7. Do they provide us with guns or should I bring my own?

                          SA7. Do NOT bring a personally-owned weapon. The last time you will see it until graduation will be at the front gate. If you are caught with one on base. you're fired. You will be issued a weapon at FLETC and that will be the one you take home with you, so treat it well.
                          [Source]
                          --------------------

                          The only thing I couldn't find and also want to know is how much time is allocated between academy graduation and reporting to the first duty station.
                          Last edited by TPA3312; 02-13-2009, 12:00 AM. Reason: Link Accuracy
                          Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

                          Comment


                          • If anyone has been through the process of a reactivation and had to send a letter and could help me with the format that would be great. I wrote one but not sure if it's right. if someone could send me an example I would be most grateful
                            BPA:
                            Written Test: Passed (97%)
                            Reactivated Feb 09
                            Pre-Employment Forms: Completed
                            Qualifications: Qualified GL-7
                            Medical Exam: Completed
                            Drug Test: Completed
                            Fitness: Completed
                            Oral Board: Completedhttp://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6315/dancing.gif
                            Background Investigation: Completed


                            IEA ICE
                            Written Test: Passed (80% )
                            Oral Interview: Passed 07/14/09
                            Paperwork Sent In And No Idea When I'll Get An Answer

                            Comment


                            • Q. What gun does the Border Patrol use? Can I use my own gun?

                              A. The Border Patrol uses the H&K P2000. It is a .40 caliber semi auto pistol. Personally owned guns must be approved by your Chief Patrol Agent in charge of your sector.
                              [Source]
                              Your information is out of date, Sir.

                              Only your issued weapon may be used on duty. There are no longer any exceptions.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by alecseborp View Post
                                So lets say I apply and get accepted. Do they supply to weaponry? Or am I going to have to buy my own.

                                Also since it is a live in academy, how much time do you have to move all of your stuff to the area where you are posted, once the academy is over. Like flying back home, packing all my stuff up and starting a new life. I mean, I have two cars and a bike which I don't really want to rush it all in a weekend
                                I encourage you to reasearch your questions on the Honorfirst forums. However, I'll help you out.

                                While you were at the Academy you will be assigned an H&K P2000. You will train with it and qualify with it. Upon graduation, you will be issued it and retain it in your possesion for the duration of your service, barring complications. Long arms are available for check out from the station armory for use during your shift. Personally owned firearms are not permitted on duty.

                                You will accumulate Annual Leave at the Academy and you will be allowed to take Administrative Leave as well. Use it wisely.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 5991 users online. 423 members and 5568 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X