300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gringe View Post
    Ya know, that isn't really a bad idea. How long does it usually take a Patrol Agent to make supervisor. How competitive is it?
    There is no definitive answer to that question. I have seen some promote in as little as 4 years, but those people were sycophants. All you have to do is take a supervisor test and apply for the openings. If you have a good enough score you will make a list for that station. Making a list does not get you the position, they choose from those who made the list for an opening at a particular station. I am not sure what the bare minimum is, but I would say that you want a minimum of 5 years in just so you know the job. The more desirable stations will be harder to get, and you may need to have more experience and training to be competitive for those positions. The northern border supervisor slots might be tough to get since many of the guys up there have quite a bit of time in.

They also sometimes have transfers and reassignment opportunities available in the border patrol. For a while people with 2 years in were getting transfers to the northern border. I recently got a transfer from TX to AZ with relocation money. This stuff is never guaranteed, but if you put in your time these opportunities will come eventually.

Comment

• Thanks for the info BigPat, appreciate it!

What are typical duties like in the Northern Border?

Comment

• I just wanted to introduce myself, I have spent the last hour or so reading through this thread and appreciate all of the posts from both sides. I decided today to apply for the Border Patrol, I have already started the process with the Riverside County Sheriff's Department, but have heard through other threads on this site that they might be entering a hiring freeze. I have my initial test next month, so we will see where it goes from there.
        I will keep everyone posted as to how the process goes, and I will read how everyone else it doing. I've been lurking around here for a while, thought I'd check in.
        Originally Posted by Law100
        Note to everyone: notice how respect I am

Comment

• Originally posted by madchiken View Post
          I whole heartedly agree. If you want to be a PA, you need to go south! This job takes several years to learn at a busy southwest border station. You will not learn it at a NB station that catches less in a year than others do in a single shift.
          I just would like to add that if anybody is also holding a CBP/OFO application, that's mighty fine advice for CBPO's as well.

Comment

• NB announcement opened this morning on USAJOBS. Open until 30 September for all sectors!
            trainee

Comment

• Hey everyone just took my medical exam and fitness test. Everything was good other then when they tested me vision they said I was 20/25. Now on the 13th I went to my eye doctor, and he said I was 20/20 with my contacts. My question is will that disqualify me because the requirements only state correctable to 20/20 which I am. The way they tested your vision at this site is also very questionable not like your eye doctor's at all just a chart down the hall, and they tell you to stop at a blue post it note on the that reads do not touch. The distance from the chart seemed a little further then it should have been when compared to my eye doctor's whose chart I had no problem reading. Any input on this would be appreciated thanks.
              BPA
              Pre-Employment Forms: Completed
              Qualifications: Cleared GL-5 Pay Grade
              Written exam 12/2008 Passed
              Fitness 01/2009 Passed
              Drug Screening: Cleared
              Medical Cleared 02/2009
              Oral Broad Passed 03/2009
              Background Contacted 05/24 Cleared in CASS 06/30
              TSU?

Comment

• I applied for Buffalo sector today. Taking into considering BigPat, and madchicken's post, I def see how they are correct, but my g/f isn't having it unless it's NB. Family comes first.

Comment

• I checked with cass and the hotline and it says that my background is completed. My investigator finished the investigation about 2 months ago, and i know it takes time for BP to review and evaluate the findings. My question is do they send out a letter that says " your background is clear" ? On cass every requirement that is completed has a check and says something like congratulations, or you've passed. But on my BG it has a check and just says that its completed?
                  5 weeks in TSU.

Comment

• Question for anyone who might know. If you get a letter that says you are not being considered for bp, can you appeal; what is the process......

Comment

• Originally posted by supermario View Post
                      I checked with cass and the hotline and it says that my background is completed. My investigator finished the investigation about 2 months ago, and i know it takes time for BP to review and evaluate the findings. My question is do they send out a letter that says " your background is clear" ? On cass every requirement that is completed has a check and says something like congratulations, or you've passed. But on my BG it has a check and just says that its completed?
                      Your BI is complete. They don't send a letter. (That's what CASS if for, isn't it?) Don't read anything into not getting a "congratulations" on the Security/BI line on CASS. The green checkmark and "complete" is normal.

Comment

• At what point in the process is the physical fitness entry test? I was looking at the hiring process on honor first, and noticed no mention of it
                        Last edited by UrNameHere263; 01-26-2009, 05:40 PM.

Comment

• you take the written test, you get your Notice of results, you send your pre-employment forms and then you wait for them to call you to schedule your oral interview, med/fitness, drug tests etc
                          BPA:
                          Written Test: Passed (97%)
                          Reactivated Feb 09
                          Pre-Employment Forms: Completed
                          Qualifications: Qualified GL-7
                          Medical Exam: Completed
                          Drug Test: Completed
                          Fitness: Completed
                          Oral Board: Completedhttp://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6315/dancing.gif
                          Background Investigation: Completed

IEA ICE
                          Written Test: Passed (80% )
                          Oral Interview: Passed 07/14/09
                          Paperwork Sent In And No Idea When I'll Get An Answer

Comment

• Originally posted by keith snelgrove View Post
                            Question for anyone who might know. If you get a letter that says you are not being considered for bp, can you appeal; what is the process......
                            Depends on what the letter says. They usually have specific directions on what you need to do. If it isn't a mistake (ie: it says you are a convicted murderer and you haven't been caught yet..) and it says you have been found unsuitable for employment, you're pretty much done.

Comment

• Worried!

Well I am really starting to worry! My end of enlistment in the CG is June 9 and I still haven't heard anything from the investigator. I'm worried that they might take more than the time I have left in the CG! I already have my separation orders which I can cancel, but then I will probably be transfered to Alaska or something. This process is turning out to be very stressful! Can't wait to just get the yes or no answer!!

Comment

• Copied from CBPO forum

Did anyone see the job opening for BP on the Northern Border? Is it normal for them to post jobs for Northern Border as first duty station? It still says you have to do 15 months at the Southern Border, but after training that is only about a year; better than the 2-3 years i have always heard you have to do down there and then only hope thier is an opening by your normal home.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11056 users online. 324 members and 10732 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X