300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post

A GL-9 Step 1 makes $54,668 on the Rest of US (RUS) pay scale, which is where most border stations fall. Let us know what station you are going to so we can confirm or adjust for your locality pay.

Shortly after getting to your station, you will likely be put in the +2 hours work schedule for Field Training, so +25%. That comes out to $68,360 in exchange for five, ten hour shifts.

10% night differential, 25% Sunday, double pay for the 8 first hours you work holidays. But on FTO, for most stations, you're working M-F, day shift hours or slightly modified day shift hours.

BP Agents are federally overtime exempt. Very unlikely you'll ever get OT in your career. Sometimes busy sectors will allow agents to pick up shifts on yours days off during surge operations or something like that, but those extra shifts are at your normal rate and not OT. And it is realtively uncommon, but is available more often in the busier sectors.

That's about. People bitch about not having OT available, but the reality is your paychecks are predictable and large, working a reasonable five days a week and a reasonable shift length. You don't have to work 3 or 4 12s in a row and double back to traffic court on 2 hours of sleep like many local and state LEOs have to do to make a big paycheck. You'll be an 11 six months after the academy, and the 9 to 11 jump is huge ($80,011 on RUS with 25%). A year later you'll be a 12 making $95,901 base, so easily passing 100k with differential pay. 100k 1.5 years after graduation from the academy isn't a bad deal in the low cost of living areas most stations are in.
    I will be working at the Harlingen station but i plan on living in mcallen. Thank you for all of your insight!

Comment

• battlewagon
      battlewagon commented
      Editing a comment
      Damn, one of the most desirable stations in south Texas. Relatively slow compared to McAllen, RGC and Weslaco, but still enough work to keep you busy. Yeah, you're RUS pay scale. Have fun.

• SHU
      SHU commented
      Editing a comment
      They don't go up in grade anymore after the academy. That was under the old intern program. Now they have to wait one year after their EOD to go up in grade.

• BPA VRA 20-10
    Applied: 07/16/2020
    Online Assessment: 07/16/2020 (PASSED)
    PSI Written Test: 07/18/2020 (PASSED)
    Conditional Offer: 07/28/2020 (ACCEPTED)
    Medical info requested: 08/04/2020 (PENDING)
    e-QIP: 08/06/2020 (SUBMITTED)
    e-QIP: 08/06/2020 (SUBMITTED to OPR)
    Medical Documentation: 08/25/2020 (SUBMITTED)
    Medical Documentation: 08/25/2020 (DOCUMENTS RECEIVED)
    Medical (Psych eval): 09/11/2020 (COMPLETED)
    Medical (Psych eval): 09/15/2020 (FAILED)
    Medical: 09/15/2020 (PASSED)

I failed the psych eval but will be requesting a waiver. I passed all other medical portions.

Comment

• battlewagon
      battlewagon commented
      Editing a comment
      Was a psych eval specific to your hiring requirements, something they requested after reviewing your application? First time I've heard of it, unless it is something new they added recently.

• fsi1212
      fsi1212 commented
      Editing a comment
      battlewagon its new. All applicants now go through a phone psych eval. In the past, if something came up mental health wise, they would send you paperwork that had to be filled out by your provider. But the providers were causing lots of issues. So CBP now does their own psych eval.

• battlewagon
      battlewagon commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know, thanks for the info. Had a guy I recently got to apply who is at academy now, and he didn't have to do it, so it must be brand brand new. Thanks for the info. Good luck with your waiver.

• fsi1212
      fsi1212 commented
      Editing a comment
      battlewagon The only thing is it could be if you have a history of mental health issues then they do it. When I applied for customs, I had to submit my VA disability ratings and I have a rating for MH. So they sent me to my own provider. But now, they just had me do the phone one. The nurse said it was a new way of doing it. So maybe its just for those that have a history.

• Looks like they're not resuming SI and PFTs until October. According to someone on Honor First. FLETC dates are getting pushed back a little too apparently.

So we might get the authentic BP hiring experience of waiting two years. Lucky us!

Comment

• So I took my psi exam today,
      am I supposed to get the results right after the test on the computer or will I get an email with the results ?

Comment

• fsi1212
        fsi1212 commented
        Editing a comment
        Jersey12 It took me about a week and a half or so to get my results and a conditional offer. Everything is slowed down right now due to COVID.

• BPA VRA 20-10
      Medical (Psych eval): 09/23/2020 (WAIVER REQUEST RECEIVED)

Medical unit received my waiver request. Just waiting for them to review it.

Comment

• Originally posted by fsi1212 View Post
        BPA VRA 20-10
        Medical (Psych eval): 09/23/2020 (WAIVER REQUEST RECEIVED)

Medical unit received my waiver request. Just waiting for them to review it.
        Wait...no more poly, and they're doing psych evals now?

Also for the folks asking about OT - you'll rarely see OT granted in the field. It will most likely be in the form of processing or hospital watch.

Comment

• big_bob_69
          big_bob_69 commented
          Editing a comment
          The med exam is the first thing you do now after the initial entrance exam. Poly comes after the SI and PFT.

Think psych exams are if you have any sort of history. I didn’t do one and I have the same timeline.

• fsi1212
          fsi1212 commented
          Editing a comment
          What big bob said. I had some history so I had to do a psych eval. Medical was always first. I applied back in 2018 and that's how it was.

• Has anyone heard anything about interviews starting back up? I read somebody somewhere said October, but here we are still stagnant in mid-October.

Comment

• Anyone ever done a medical waiver request? As you can see, a few posts up, I submitted a waiver request for a failed psych eval. I'm just wondering about how long it took to hear anything back if anyone has ever done one.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6577 users online. 348 members and 6229 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X