Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys I am currently scheduled to head to the academy next month but I am having second thoughts about it. My main concern is the way the agency is viewed by the public and media. People seem to strongly dislike the border patrol and i cant understand why. Im only 22, halfway through my masters and My goal is to pursue a long career in federal law enforcement and this was my first chance to pursue that goal. Should i be concerned or worried at all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cgrizz View Post
      Hey guys I am currently scheduled to head to the academy next month but I am having second thoughts about it. My main concern is the way the agency is viewed by the public and media. People seem to strongly dislike the border patrol and i cant understand why. Im only 22, halfway through my masters and My goal is to pursue a long career in federal law enforcement and this was my first chance to pursue that goal. Should i be concerned or worried at all?
      Bro I'm pretty sure anyone will agree. If you care how youre viewed, then you need to abandon all law enforcement aspirations. I know you have said you have a 1st choice agency other than BP, but if you think that agency doesn't get bad press, or that someone wouldn't want to put a bullet in the back of your head just because you're a law enforcement officer, even if it is for some obscure agency like Environmental Protection Agency, then you need to abandon ship now. Even something like Postal Inspector, or NPS Park Ranger which are agencies that people support their mission set, you will always be hated.

We've PM'd a few times and I support your pursuit, but the fact you are having this thought strongly enough to post about it means you need to do some serious inter-reflection.

Here's my counter point to your post. I did my job honorably every day I was BP. I never once violated anyone, and never over stepped once. The most comfortable pillow you can sleep on is a clean conscious.

You can PM me again if you want but you really need to take a deep look at your aspirations. I think many cops have these sort of thoughts youre having after starting, but to be having them beforehand means you're only going to be more upset when it happens when you're in the game.
      UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
      "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• Hey guys I had a close friend of mine just graduate the Academy last week and he was telling me that encouraged him to re-apply while at the academy to change his location. He was trying to get a station in the Rio Grande Valley since he is organically from there but cannot due to the 100 mile rule. While at the academy he was able to re-apply with the Artesia address. Supposedly he was accepted and that he was put back in the system for a new station. According to him he would probably need to work until August in his current station and when his 1 year probationary period was over he would be able to transfer over to a new station.

Comment

• Hey guys I'm currently scheduled to leave for the academy in a few weeks. Does anyone know when I should receive a package in the mail or any information in regards to me leaving for the academy?

Comment

• DRohn167
            DRohn167 commented
            Editing a comment
            If you here anything in regards to this I’d love to hear as well

• Originally posted by jcsaenz3 View Post
          and when his 1 year probationary period was over he would be able to transfer over to a new station.
          lol.

Comment

• jcsaenz3
            jcsaenz3 commented
            Editing a comment
            Why "lol" ???????

• DJ9
            DJ9 commented
            Editing a comment
            Because SHU knows you won’t be able to transfer for a solid 5 years

• SHU
            SHU commented
            Editing a comment
            5 to 10 years for a crappy place. 15 years for a great place. 20+ for the best places. Transfers in the patrol are extremely hard to get.
            Last edited by SHU; 03-09-2020, 11:35 PM.

• SingleRonin
            SingleRonin commented
            Editing a comment
            Completely agree with SHU on those timelines. The only way I see new guys transferring within the Patrol, with no time in, is by doing a rehire. If anyone tries to tell you different, they are selling you a load of BS.

The rehire idea has been pretty successful for people though. At our station, normally about half of a trainee class leaves within a few months due to being rehired somewhere else.

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post

The most comfortable pillow you can sleep on is a clean conscious.
          ^^^ This! Well said and very true. In the 18 years full time LE I have thought to myself after some incident or other involving the outright hatred for LE by the public "I should have been a firefighter like my Dad, everyone loves them." But... the good done by you should outweigh the negativity.
          • Lives saved
          • People helped
          • Property protected
          • Children positively influenced
          • Violators arrested
          • General satisfaction of a job well done
          Even when there are no "good" calls for service because you and your squad have cleaned the area up.

Anyway you either have the fire in your belly for LE or you don't. I do not regret my career choices. Hopefully you figure yourself and your priorities out before you get on the job.
          You miss every shot you don't take.

Comment

• EOD coming up on March 30th. Got an email saying everything going forward as planned and no cancellations. Any word on possible delays or EOD dates pushed back due to COVID-19?

Comment

• SHU
              SHU commented
              Editing a comment
              Buddy of mine at the academy got word yesterday his detail there was ending due to the virus. The academy is 10-7.

• DRohn167
              DRohn167 commented
              Editing a comment
              SHU does that mean they are sending everyone home?

• battlewagon
              battlewagon commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah DRohn, students and staff. They made the call end of the work day Friday (20th) for Artesia and Glynco FLETC too. Students sent home with no time frame estimate for return.

• DRohn167
              DRohn167 commented
              Editing a comment
              Sheesh.. thanks for the update guys I really appreciate it. Was supposed to be heading down to Del Rio for my EOD on the 30th but I’m sure I’ll be hearing from them on Monday. Glad I didn’t start the drive from CT yet at least. Back to the prison I go for now then lol, hopefully I can withdraw my resignation date.

• Double post. Accidental
            Last edited by DRohn167; 03-21-2020, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• With FLETC Artesia being closed, do y'all think that the hiring pipeline will be significantly delayed? I completed my SI a little over a month ago, so I'm now just waiting on my polygraph to be scheduled. I heard originally that the time between SI and poly would be about 8-10 weeks. Should I expect that wait to be a whole lot longer now?

Comment

• DiverB72
                DiverB72 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes the hiring will be delayed. I will be returning to CBP AMO after being gone for 90 days on Leave without pay, and the process took forever due to the hiring center workers being at home and not being able to process my paperwork. I have a buddy who is a supervisor at FLETC Artesia and he just texted me the other day they are sending trainees home. Try to be patient, stay in good health, it will work its self out.

• Reuben
                Reuben commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the info, Diver! Sorry to hear about the leave w/o pay. Hoping you and yours make it fine until work resumes.

• Barbie711
                Barbie711 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey everyone 20-3 here ! I am just giving an update. I was contacted by my BI and references have also been contacted. Even though it feels like everything is a mess right now. Some good news, there are signs of movement and the process Is moving along.

• Hello guys so finally got the call I am 19-8 announcement. They offered:

TEXAS:
              Eagle Pass
              Carrizo Springs
              Presidio
              Sanderson

They offered CA but I didn't want to hear the stations since I am not interested, can anyone give me some input on this stations? I currently live in RGV, I wouldn't like to live in some place were there is nothing to do. Thank you!

Comment

• Originally posted by RGVmore View Post
                Hello guys so finally got the call I am 19-8 announcement. They offered:

TEXAS:
                Eagle Pass
                Carrizo Springs
                Presidio
                Sanderson

They offered CA but I didn't want to hear the stations since I am not interested, can anyone give me some input on this stations? I currently live in RGV, I wouldn't like to live in some place were there is nothing to do. Thank you!
                Eagle Pass or Chorizo Springs....The other two NO....just NO....If youre from the RGV good luck getting back bro, so whatever you take be prepared to stay there...the rehire is on to us, so if you do rehire prepare for everything Laredo, Sanderson, and Presidio....Good luck

Comment

• What do you mean by rehire ?
                  @bournesto33 WellI've been researching in the locations and I don't like them a bit, I only like Eagle Pass but I was told there are two stations South and North and I was told to choose South since management is better there. I was also wondering what if I decline the offer and reapply for better stations? anyone has info in that?

Comment

• Hey everyone, I got an interesting question.... With the current lock down on everything do you all think the interviews will transition over to Skype and or Phone? Probably not, just curious that is all. I am currently going through the process, passed my written, did my medical and completed my EQIP. My announcement is 20-5.

Thanks and good luck everyone!

Comment

• Barbie711
                      Barbie711 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, everything is still moving along if your in the BI or further.
                      Last edited by Barbie711; 04-03-2020, 12:34 PM.

• SHU
                      SHU commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The agents who do oral hiring boards have been returned to the field.

• Hello All,

I just submitted an application for the GS-7 Border Patrol Direct Hire announcement "BPA DH 20-7". I am 50% of the way through CBP's process and have not received an update on my application since June of 2019 as I await a polygraph date. I would like to know:

1. From application to academy, how long is the average hiring process?
                    2. I am 50% through the CBP process, which portions (if any) of CBP's hiring process transfers to BPA? Thus far, I have completed CBP's application, written exam, PT test, structured interview, medical screening, finger prints and submitted my eQip.

Mid 20's, clean background, east coast resident, Cyber Security Degree + 2.5 years of full time Cyber experience in the private sector.

Thank you

Comment

• DRohn167
                      DRohn167 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I applied in July of 2018 and was sworn in via Skype last Monday the 30th. So that’s about 20 months for me but I also had several holdups along the way and because of that I would say I could have finished the process in a year if not for those (medical questionnaire responses, two polygraphs rescheduled). I was in CBP process for a bit to before withdrawing and I can confirm that at least the PT, and interview weren’t transferable but I know the physical, background and poly were. I imagine the written test would be different too. Hope that helps!

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6966 users online. 383 members and 6583 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X