300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sink123 View Post
    I am pretty sure that this has been covered in past posts, but I have looked back and have not been able to locate the post. I EOD Feb. 3rd and received all of my paperwork yesterday. Does anyone have advice on packing for the academy? What to bring, what not to bring etc... I apologize ahead of time if it has already been covered. Thank you for your time.
    Bring a fair share of normal civilian clothes.a lot of people think it's going to be like basic or academies where you are always in some sort of uniform, and show up with one or two pairs of regular clothes. You will be in your own personal clothes every day, guaranteed. For dinner, weekends, etc.

February March etc are very cold in artesia. Cold enough there will be snow on the range if you shoot in the morning and conditions are right.

I'd recommend some of the saline or whatever stuff it is nasal spray for dry noses. Artesia is high altitude, and plus very dry desert, so many people get nosebleeds when they are there for the first part of their stay.

If you have a tablet or laptop, I'd bring. But make sure it is in the middle of your suitcase surrounded by clothes or soft stuff. You'll see why.

Black compression shorts as I mentioned above.

Edit: when you get there and get a chance to go to Walmart, I'd get your own set of towels facecloths etc. You will be provided them upon arrival but I wouldn't want to be using the linen, esp after you hear what classmates are using them for.
    Last edited by battlewagon; 01-09-2020, 12:13 PM.
    UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
    "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• Good evening.

my EOD is February 13. Wanted to start make contact with other people heading to Texas. My station is Marfa. I’ll be in El Paso February 7 until the 13.
      hit me up. And congrats to all individuals that have passed the process.

Comment

• Do you get paid at the fletc and if so when ??

Comment

• battlewagon
          battlewagon commented
          Editing a comment
          Immediately? Pay should start as soon as you're there. Should be one pay period, two weeks, for it to kick

• UPDATE 1/13/20

EQIP has been completed back to the original Progress. CURRENT PERCENTAGE 38%

Application Received 11/13/19
        Entrance Exam Passed 11/25/19
        Pre-Offer 12/2/19
        EQIP 12/9/19
        Medical Exam 12/9/19
        Structured Interview 12/19/19
        --------------------------------------
        Background Investigation:In Process
        Drug: In Process

Polygraph Exam Scheduled: 1/15/2020
        --------------------------------------
        Fitness Exam: Pending
        Final Offer: Pending

Comment

• battlewagon
          battlewagon commented
          Editing a comment
          Gotcha didn't know you were taking about poly. Was your other poly federal? If so, your BP one should have been waived if you told them before scheduling BP poly

• Breely23
          Breely23 commented
          Editing a comment
          orx1141 Yes they told me the same thing, that they will decide to either redo another or I have completely failed. I've told nothing but the truth but, my guy was an ******* honestly. He didn't make it easy at all knowing I was completely nervous.

• orx1141
          orx1141 commented
          Editing a comment
          battlewagon So its official I received the email stating that I failed and would not be allowed to reapply for 2 years. To me, it does not make sense as I told the truth the whole time.
          I did receive intensive integrity training while in the Marine Corps and a local police academy. While in the Marine Corps I have worked side by side with the Secret Service and FBI on multiple occasions. Including doing security for the Pope, Former President Obama, and the current president, President Trump. I just don't understand how I'm not even allowed to retake it.

• battlewagon
          battlewagon commented
          Editing a comment
          Sucks but that's the CBP way, ultra high poly failure. Most people I know personally who have applied failed. Apply to Secret Service Uniform Division. They have an expedited hiring process now and also paid move for new hires. A friend of mine failed BP poly, applied USSS UD and passed their poly and were hired in six months, start to finish

• Just an update for those with student loans. I was notified yesterday that the Border Patrol is not currently hiring under the program in which they repay your student loans as a recruitment incentive. The program does exist and is advertised on the benefits page however it is only utilized when the position is designated as a hard to fill position. Just clearing up the waters for those with student loans. Obviously I am still excited and very grateful for the opportunity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sink123 View Post
          Just an update for those with student loans. I was notified yesterday that the Border Patrol is not currently hiring under the program in which they repay your student loans as a recruitment incentive. The program does exist and is advertised on the benefits page however it is only utilized when the position is designated as a hard to fill position. Just clearing up the waters for those with student loans. Obviously I am still excited and very grateful for the opportunity.
          The Patrol may not ( the Patrol will always treat you like %$%@) but the federal gov/U.S Dept of Education will forgive law enforcement officers qualifed federal student loans under the PSLF program or the latest TEPSLF program, with 120 qualified payments (10 years), with qualified loans, you can get your loans forgiven. I personally have had my student loans forgiven under this program. When the program first came out it wouldn't pay anything but that has changed. Now you just have to make sure your loans are eligible ( federal student loans, not private bank student loans), and that you are paying them, without a break, under an income contingent plan for ten years straight. Basically you still have to pay off about half of your loans. At least that is what I did but I paid longer than 10 years but I'm damn glad they covered the other half. Please note the interest you pay on your loans is tax deductible.

If you have not already, consolidate your student loans with the William D Ford foundation/U.S government (not a private/ rip off bank) and start paying on an income contingent plan. Make sure its the cheapest one they have. That way it will be easiest for you to pay them and it will limit the amount you pay and increase the amount the federal government ultimately forgives after 10 years.

Comment

• Has anyone heard anything about the bill H. R. 2335 that was proposed in April of 2019. I know that the latest action was in April when it was presented but was just wondering if any had any more information on it. Also do any current or former BP Agents have an opinion on how this bill will affect pay for BP Agents if it passes.

Comment

• Has anyone received this? I can see they may need more info, what I am getting at, is does that mean I am getting closer? Lol

"We are in the process of adjudicating your background investigation for a position with Customs and Border Protection. However, additional information is required from you. To expedite, I would like to correspond with you via e-mail rather than by the U.S. Postal Service. Please reply if you wish to communicate by email. Your prompt response is appreciated."

Comment

• jcsaenz3
                jcsaenz3 commented
                Editing a comment
                A NOPA is an email by your adjudicator asking for extra information on a certain topic so they can make a final adjudication. its NOPA for Notice of Proposed Action, depending on your response they will find you suitable or unsuitable.

• Gh3isT
                Gh3isT commented
                Editing a comment
                jcsaenz3 Sorry for the late reply. You were absolutely correct. I received a NOPA and have to clarify a few things. Mainly credit and drug use from like 20 years ago when I was teenager. I've searched for NOPA template and I seem to be making it more complicated than what it needs to be. I guess because this is really the only obstacle I have left now. Thanks again for all the info.

• jcsaenz3
                jcsaenz3 commented
                Editing a comment
                Goodluck in your Reply! let us know what they tell you!

• Gh3isT
                Gh3isT commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks. Will do. Currently racking my brain on how to write it all out!

• Is there another forum for people who are in the academy? Or transitioning from the academy to their duty station? Im trying to get information on living arrangements after the academy and what to expect.

Comment

• jcsaenz3
                jcsaenz3 commented
                Editing a comment
                Theres the Honor First Forum there are current agents there aswell if you post a question they will give you as much information on it.

• Originally posted by Cgrizz View Post
              Is there another forum for people who are in the academy? Or transitioning from the academy to their duty station? Im trying to get information on living arrangements after the academy and what to expect.
              You will get a handful of admin days to move at best. Varies by sector. It isn't many. Most stations will allow you to take some of the vacation you earn while at academy as well, but that also depends. If your academy class has say 10 guys going to the same station, you're all going to be on FTO together, and they likely want people to basically show up for their first day of FTO on the same day, not a bunch of staggered starts. Long made short, you need to have your moving plans made and arranged before you leave for academy.

If you're moving from TN, MA, wherever, your goods need to be packed and ready for shipment or pickup by you. You're not going to have 2 or 3 weeks to go home and pack your household goods and then meander across country driving for the move.

Most guys commit to apartments or house rentals down where they're going to work sight unseen, unless someone has a car at the academy and you take a trip on a 3 day weekend to look at stuff where you are going to be stationed. I bought a house completely sight unseen in the region I was going to be assigned to. Not ideal but it panned out.

It's a rough time in the beginning of your career, not a lot of time to handle your business and of course no moving expenses paid, so there's really no way to sugar-coat it. But it's worth it in the long run for the career.

honor first

Comment

• Cgrizz
                Cgrizz commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the advice!

• Also im in a sticky situation. Does anyone have any experience with being in a academy with your second choice federal agency and getting called for medical by your first choice agency ? What should you do? I know that i cant miss any academy days.

Comment

• battlewagon
                battlewagon commented
                Editing a comment
                There's pretty much no option other than hoping they can do the medical on the weekend

• Has someone gotten the final offer ? I was wondering the list of cities that are available. I’m currently waiting for the final offer call I applied June 26 2019
              proccessed moved pretty fast

Comment

• Hey guys I am currently scheduled to head to the academy next month but I am having second thoughts about it. My main concern is the way the agency is viewed by the public and media. People seem to strongly dislike the border patrol and i cant understand why. Im only 22, halfway through my masters and My goal is to pursue a long career in federal law enforcement and this was my first chance to pursue that goal. Should i be concerned or worried at all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cgrizz View Post
                Hey guys I am currently scheduled to head to the academy next month but I am having second thoughts about it. My main concern is the way the agency is viewed by the public and media. People seem to strongly dislike the border patrol and i cant understand why. Im only 22, halfway through my masters and My goal is to pursue a long career in federal law enforcement and this was my first chance to pursue that goal. Should i be concerned or worried at all?
                Bro I'm pretty sure anyone will agree. If you care how youre viewed, then you need to abandon all law enforcement aspirations. I know you have said you have a 1st choice agency other than BP, but if you think that agency doesn't get bad press, or that someone wouldn't want to put a bullet in the back of your head just because you're a law enforcement officer, even if it is for some obscure agency like Environmental Protection Agency, then you need to abandon ship now. Even something like Postal Inspector, or NPS Park Ranger which are agencies that people support their mission set, you will always be hated.

We've PM'd a few times and I support your pursuit, but the fact you are having this thought strongly enough to post about it means you need to do some serious inter-reflection.

Here's my counter point to your post. I did my job honorably every day I was BP. I never once violated anyone, and never over stepped once. The most comfortable pillow you can sleep on is a clean conscious.

You can PM me again if you want but you really need to take a deep look at your aspirations. I think many cops have these sort of thoughts youre having after starting, but to be having them beforehand means you're only going to be more upset when it happens when you're in the game.

honor first

Comment

• Hey guys I had a close friend of mine just graduate the Academy last week and he was telling me that encouraged him to re-apply while at the academy to change his location. He was trying to get a station in the Rio Grande Valley since he is organically from there but cannot due to the 100 mile rule. While at the academy he was able to re-apply with the Artesia address. Supposedly he was accepted and that he was put back in the system for a new station. According to him he would probably need to work until August in his current station and when his 1 year probationary period was over he would be able to transfer over to a new station.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6299 users online. 331 members and 5968 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X