Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh one more thing, I'm looking into getting a personal trainer since I've got 2 months before i ship out.

Is there a physical fitness test at the academy that if you don't pass it in your first week you're automatically **** canned? If so what is the thing that most newbies fail on?

I'm trying to do good by my family and country and I'd love to go above and beyond expectations, it's somewhat hard to do with my current job and salary but i'm trying to make time to better myself!

Comment

• Originally posted by Buck_Macdonald View Post
      Oh one more thing, I'm looking into getting a personal trainer since I've got 2 months before i ship out.

Is there a physical fitness test at the academy that if you don't pass it in your first week you're automatically **** canned? If so what is the thing that most newbies fail on?

I'm trying to do good by my family and country and I'd love to go above and beyond expectations, it's somewhat hard to do with my current job and salary but i'm trying to make time to better myself!
      Honestly all you need to be doing now is a basic workout doing the fundamentals. Running, sprints, sit ups, push ups, and body weight stuff like wall sits, air squats, lunges, etc. It may seem like an over simplification, but what will be your breaking point at the academy is the 400th body builder, not failing at some advanced technique lifting form that a trainer will help you perfect.

Save the money from the trainer and use it to eat right. Go ahead and get off energy drinks and caffeine while you are at home instead of going cold turkey at the academy.

There is a test pretty much out the gate and if you don't pass it at the graduation level standards then you'll get yelled out and maybe have to do a memo. Nothing permenant or that will follow you from the academy. The only one that actually matters is the graduation test. However it is in your interest to pass all of them.
      Last edited by battlewagon; 09-08-2019, 07:30 PM.
      UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
      "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• Any tips or advice for the poly? (Other than arriving early, minimizing stress... etc)
        I never had a meeting with a BI and no one contacted any of my references. Poly is in a few weeks.

Also, when you EOD and arrive at the station, what is the living situation? Are you paying out of pocket for a hotel until you go to the academy?

Comment

• Originally posted by NoSoup4you View Post
          Any tips or advice for the poly? (Other than arriving early, minimizing stress... etc)
          I never had a meeting with a BI and no one contacted any of my references. Poly is in a few weeks.

Also, when you EOD and arrive at the station, what is the living situation? Are you paying out of pocket for a hotel until you go to the academy?
          Yes, out of pocket. It should only be three nights, fly in sunday before EOD so a Sunday night hotel, EOD Monday, hotel that night and Tuesday night. You depart for the academy on Wednesday.

Edit: IMO seeking out any tips for the poly whether asking here or googling or whatever will only put things in your head that wouldn't normally have been there, therefore you will not be acting your 100% natural self at the poly, which can only be a negative in the BS world of polys.
          UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
          "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• NoSoup4you
            NoSoup4you commented
            Editing a comment
            Now that's the advice I was looking for. Need that extra help to stop me from googling. Poly SHOULD be straight forward for me. Just the fail rate makes me nervous.
            Appreciate it.

• Talonderiel
            Talonderiel commented
            Editing a comment
            NoSoup4you, I'd take that poly fail rate with a grain of salt. The studies that look at the fail rate don't all fully take into account the quality of the candidate applying. One of the studies I looked at from the GAO, sorry I don't have the citation on hand, said that of the 60-70% failure rate, over half of those failed were because of things listed as DQ criteria on applications or they admitting to things that are DQ criteria.

Now rather or not some of that DQ criteria is accurate for today's society... who knows. But I wouldn't let the fail rate bother you. If you are truthful, then that is all that matters. As long as you can sleep at night with a clear conscience, let God lead you to where you should be.

• Originally posted by DiverB72 View Post
          Basically you got it correct. Lets say you hire in as a GS-5 on January 2. The following Jan 2 you automatically get GS-7, the next Jan GS-9 then GS-11 then GS12.
          I'm pretty sure you technically get advanced at the beginning (Sunday) of the next pay period following your one-year anniversary. So getting hired on Jan 2, 2019 might mean you get actually promoted on Jan 12, 2020 or something like that (I'm guessing, not really going to look it up). We don't do pay increases wiIthin pay periods, But it is basically a "year," give or take a week.

Comment

• 19/11 applicant. Process has been moving super fast for me. So fast that I had to change a few dates for the scheduled process. These dates were changed due to going to FLETC for training. However I flew down to FLETC to then have my training get cancelled and fly back. Now my current training is within the dates everything got pushed back. They have mentioned the only change interviews, fitness tests once. Should I just re-apply after my current training to re-start the process or withdraw and then re-apply? Any suggestions??

Comment

• battlewagon
              battlewagon commented
              Editing a comment
              Even if that was true, the only change once thing (it isn't), why wouldn't you try before withdrawing anyways? If that was true and trying to reschedule then resulted in the removing you from the process (it won't), you wouldn't be any worse off than if you self-removed.

Just call them tell them the situation. The contractors who set up medical and stuff it's their job to work with you so they will do the job their paid to do.

• My post may of sound slightly confusing. I was given my medical and interview. The medical I completed however the interview fell on my FLETC training date. I contacted the responding email to change the interview date due to my prior obligation with training. They responded and changed the date,informing me that they only do this once. I then flew to FLETC arrived to check in, my BOP class was cancelled due to the hurricane. I was then put back on a plane the next day flew back to work.
            I have been told my new training date which I just received now falls within the interview date that was re-scheduled. I reached out to the contact however no response. I also am in the process with CBPO. I passed my CBPO medical and interview. I had to re-schedule my fitness due to the previous training which, I still will be able to complete before I leave. I have been leaning more towards BP, but the dates have been messed up to my current training issues with my current employer.

The contractors who I guess work these issues informed they only change these dates once, if unable to attend my selection offer will be withdrawn. That's why I have these questions.
            Last edited by fedco95; 09-12-2019, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• battlewagon
              battlewagon commented
              Editing a comment
              I see that clarifies it. The scheduling of interviews is certain different than medical, as one involves contractors and contracted facilities, and one involves the agency. I was under the impression it was your medical that needed to be rescheduled. As far as the interviews, my advice still applies. Call and see if they can move it. If they say no and remove you from the process, youre not worse off than if you just voluntarily withdrew on your own. Asking wont affect any future applications if you indeed do have to reapply. At least everything completed so far will carry over.

• Thanks! appreciate it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5192 users online. 211 members and 4981 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X