Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh one more thing, I'm looking into getting a personal trainer since I've got 2 months before i ship out.

Is there a physical fitness test at the academy that if you don't pass it in your first week you're automatically **** canned? If so what is the thing that most newbies fail on?

I'm trying to do good by my family and country and I'd love to go above and beyond expectations, it's somewhat hard to do with my current job and salary but i'm trying to make time to better myself!

Comment

• Originally posted by Buck_Macdonald View Post
      Oh one more thing, I'm looking into getting a personal trainer since I've got 2 months before i ship out.

Is there a physical fitness test at the academy that if you don't pass it in your first week you're automatically **** canned? If so what is the thing that most newbies fail on?

I'm trying to do good by my family and country and I'd love to go above and beyond expectations, it's somewhat hard to do with my current job and salary but i'm trying to make time to better myself!
      Honestly all you need to be doing now is a basic workout doing the fundamentals. Running, sprints, sit ups, push ups, and body weight stuff like wall sits, air squats, lunges, etc. It may seem like an over simplification, but what will be your breaking point at the academy is the 400th body builder, not failing at some advanced technique lifting form that a trainer will help you perfect.

Save the money from the trainer and use it to eat right. Go ahead and get off energy drinks and caffeine while you are at home instead of going cold turkey at the academy.

There is a test pretty much out the gate and if you don't pass it at the graduation level standards then you'll get yelled out and maybe have to do a memo. Nothing permenant or that will follow you from the academy. The only one that actually matters is the graduation test. However it is in your interest to pass all of them.
      Last edited by battlewagon; 09-08-2019, 07:30 PM.
      UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
      "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• Any tips or advice for the poly? (Other than arriving early, minimizing stress... etc)
        I never had a meeting with a BI and no one contacted any of my references. Poly is in a few weeks.

Also, when you EOD and arrive at the station, what is the living situation? Are you paying out of pocket for a hotel until you go to the academy?

Comment

• Originally posted by NoSoup4you View Post
          Any tips or advice for the poly? (Other than arriving early, minimizing stress... etc)
          I never had a meeting with a BI and no one contacted any of my references. Poly is in a few weeks.

Also, when you EOD and arrive at the station, what is the living situation? Are you paying out of pocket for a hotel until you go to the academy?
          Yes, out of pocket. It should only be three nights, fly in sunday before EOD so a Sunday night hotel, EOD Monday, hotel that night and Tuesday night. You depart for the academy on Wednesday.

Edit: IMO seeking out any tips for the poly whether asking here or googling or whatever will only put things in your head that wouldn't normally have been there, therefore you will not be acting your 100% natural self at the poly, which can only be a negative in the BS world of polys.

honor first

Comment

• NoSoup4you
            NoSoup4you commented
            Editing a comment
            Now that's the advice I was looking for. Need that extra help to stop me from googling. Poly SHOULD be straight forward for me. Just the fail rate makes me nervous.
            Appreciate it.

• Talonderiel
            Talonderiel commented
            Editing a comment
            NoSoup4you, I'd take that poly fail rate with a grain of salt. The studies that look at the fail rate don't all fully take into account the quality of the candidate applying. One of the studies I looked at from the GAO, sorry I don't have the citation on hand, said that of the 60-70% failure rate, over half of those failed were because of things listed as DQ criteria on applications or they admitting to things that are DQ criteria.

Now rather or not some of that DQ criteria is accurate for today's society... who knows. But I wouldn't let the fail rate bother you. If you are truthful, then that is all that matters. As long as you can sleep at night with a clear conscience, let God lead you to where you should be.

• Originally posted by DiverB72 View Post
          Basically you got it correct. Lets say you hire in as a GS-5 on January 2. The following Jan 2 you automatically get GS-7, the next Jan GS-9 then GS-11 then GS12.
          I'm pretty sure you technically get advanced at the beginning (Sunday) of the next pay period following your one-year anniversary. So getting hired on Jan 2, 2019 might mean you get actually promoted on Jan 12, 2020 or something like that (I'm guessing, not really going to look it up). We don't do pay increases wiIthin pay periods, But it is basically a "year," give or take a week.

Comment

• 19/11 applicant. Process has been moving super fast for me. So fast that I had to change a few dates for the scheduled process. These dates were changed due to going to FLETC for training. However I flew down to FLETC to then have my training get cancelled and fly back. Now my current training is within the dates everything got pushed back. They have mentioned the only change interviews, fitness tests once. Should I just re-apply after my current training to re-start the process or withdraw and then re-apply? Any suggestions??

Comment

• battlewagon
              battlewagon commented
              Editing a comment
              Even if that was true, the only change once thing (it isn't), why wouldn't you try before withdrawing anyways? If that was true and trying to reschedule then resulted in the removing you from the process (it won't), you wouldn't be any worse off than if you self-removed.

Just call them tell them the situation. The contractors who set up medical and stuff it's their job to work with you so they will do the job their paid to do.

• My post may of sound slightly confusing. I was given my medical and interview. The medical I completed however the interview fell on my FLETC training date. I contacted the responding email to change the interview date due to my prior obligation with training. They responded and changed the date,informing me that they only do this once. I then flew to FLETC arrived to check in, my BOP class was cancelled due to the hurricane. I was then put back on a plane the next day flew back to work.
            I have been told my new training date which I just received now falls within the interview date that was re-scheduled. I reached out to the contact however no response. I also am in the process with CBPO. I passed my CBPO medical and interview. I had to re-schedule my fitness due to the previous training which, I still will be able to complete before I leave. I have been leaning more towards BP, but the dates have been messed up to my current training issues with my current employer.

The contractors who I guess work these issues informed they only change these dates once, if unable to attend my selection offer will be withdrawn. That's why I have these questions.
            Last edited by fedco95; 09-12-2019, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• battlewagon
              battlewagon commented
              Editing a comment
              I see that clarifies it. The scheduling of interviews is certain different than medical, as one involves contractors and contracted facilities, and one involves the agency. I was under the impression it was your medical that needed to be rescheduled. As far as the interviews, my advice still applies. Call and see if they can move it. If they say no and remove you from the process, youre not worse off than if you just voluntarily withdrew on your own. Asking wont affect any future applications if you indeed do have to reapply. At least everything completed so far will carry over.

• Thanks! appreciate it.

Comment

• Question for the guys in Border Patrol.

I'm a 13 year veteran cop. Spent half my time as a patrol for a municipal agency and spent the rest of my time working Protective Operations for the Governor and now a Financial Crimes Plainclothes Investigator.

I want out of Florida and looking at the Border Patrol. Looking at a GL-9 slot. Recruiter told me I could skip the written exam. Base pay is $53k. So with the BP, do they qualify for LEAP? What's the hiring process like for an experienced cop?

Comment

• Radio Raheem
                Radio Raheem commented
                Editing a comment
                They don't have LEAP. They have there own overtime process that is probably the least lucrative in federal law enforcement.

• Exbpa340
                Exbpa340 commented
                Editing a comment
                BPAPRA is what Border Patrol Agents receive after the academy. You can choose 0, 12.5 percent or 25 percent. Then you must work the hours 2 hours a day gets you 25 percent. 1 hour a day gets you 12.5 percent and straight 8 hour shifts (no additional hours) gets you zero.

It is not the least lucrative as one can earn the exact same percentage that LEAP pays. Both positions are FLSA exempt and at least with BPAPRA you can earn comp time.

• Just got the call this morning with the final offer. I have been a longtime lurker here and felt I shouldn't post anything until this process was complete.

I'm a 19-8 VRA Applicant and if I'm being honest I did not expect the process to go this fast. One day I was taking the written exam for CBPO and BPA the next I'm getting a call with a list of dang near 21 stations to choose from in 24 hours for BPA. A little about myself, as this may play a big part in deciding where I want to work. I'm from El Paso,TX, My Wife is from Devine, TX (East of Uvalde), and we have 1 child and expecting twins Spring 2020. I'm currently Active Duty Army stationed in Sierra Vista, AZ which explains why Sierra Blanca and Deming are apart of my choices.

With 2 more children on the way I'm thinking it would be beneficial to select stations closer to either El Paso, or Devine for family support and less expenses for childcare. We eventually wanted to settle down in El Paso, or San Antonio either way once all is said and done and careers come to an end. But in the back of my head Imperial Beach is catching my eye due to you know....being near a beach.

I would appreciate any insight I could have from anyone currently in on if an 1-1.5 hour commute one way/ 3 hour total is a sacrifice worth making to be near family support structures or if doing something else is better in the long run.

I would like to know if there is anyone with any experience or information with the following locations as well:

Texas:
              Falfurrias Station
              Laredo South
              Comstock Station
              Del Rio Station
              Bracketville Station
              Uvalde Station
              Marfa Station
              Presido Station
              Al Pine Station
              Sanderson Station
              Van Horn Station
              Sierra Blanca Station

New Mexico:
              Lordsburg Station
              Deming Station

Arizona:
              Ajo Station
              Wellton Station
              Yuma Station

California:
              Calexico Station
              Imperial Beach Station
              Brownfield Station

I thank you all for your time.

Comment

• Radio Raheem
                Radio Raheem commented
                Editing a comment
                I would rank them like this:

Uvalde because of it's proximity to Devine which is close to San Antonio. Uvalde would probably be your best bet.

If I were to pick more than one ideal station, it would be:

Uvalde
                Laredo South
                IB

However, for you, I would say:

Uvalde
                Deming
                Laredo South
                Last edited by Radio Raheem; 09-19-2019, 03:50 PM.

• battlewagon
                battlewagon commented
                Editing a comment
                I concur with Uvalde, pretty desirable station for Texas. My personal pick of that list.

Brownfield and IB are pretty desirable stations for CA as well due to living and working in SD area. Negatives to them and especially IB is you will be bottom of the list for seniority for the station for literally a decade, or more. And seniority is king in BP, for better or worse. I'd rather have bad days off (Wed + Thurs) for a decade than live and work in Presidio though for example. But then again I'd never subscribe to a life of California taxes, cost of living, and politics. But these are obviously personal opinions.

Uvalde, IB, Brownfield would be my three in order. Del Rio isn't too bad either. Short drive to San Antonio.

• HowCanIHelpU
                HowCanIHelpU commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the Feeback battlewagon and Radio Raheem (Awesome name by the way.) I'm leaning towards Uvalde as well. We have plenty of friends from military life that settled down in S.A. so it will probably be better in the long run Morale wise to be close to those kind of people.

I just think it's weird, this entire process CBPO has done everything faster, but the final offer came from BPA first. But who cares right?!?!? A paying job is better than no job!!

• Good afternoon to everyone

so I am currently in the process for BPA I am at 63% completion in the CBP App it’s been almost 2 months since I passed the polygraph and I received a email. Could someone give me some insight as to what this email means ? Does it mean that soon I will see my Background Investigator ?

Email:

We are contacting you regarding the required background investigation for the Border Patrol Agent position with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). Your investigation is in process with the Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR). This investigation is being conducted to determine your suitability for CBP employment.

OPR is responsible for: scheduling and conducting required polygraph examinations; assigning investigators to conduct the required background investigation; adjudicating the finding of the investigation; and providing final results to the CBP Hiring Center once a suitability determination is made.

Comment

• battlewagon
                battlewagon commented
                Editing a comment
                It means they are contacting you regarding your BI
                ??
                Surely the email went into more detail, or provided you a POC email or telephone to follow-up?

• NoSoup4you
                NoSoup4you commented
                Editing a comment
                battlewagon my understanding was the Poly came at the end of the BI and an offer usually follows soon after. Am I incorrect? Or is that just some special cases

• battlewagon
                battlewagon commented
                Editing a comment
                Usually towards or at the end, yes. If you do a provisional clearance and academy, it'll come at the end of the provisional clearance, and then the BI will wrap up while at academy hopefully

• NoSoup4you
                NoSoup4you commented
                Editing a comment
                battlewagon appreciate it, again.

• Originally posted by Florida_LEO View Post
              Question for the guys in Border Patrol.

I'm a 13 year veteran cop. Spent half my time as a patrol for a municipal agency and spent the rest of my time working Protective Operations for the Governor and now a Financial Crimes Plainclothes Investigator.

I want out of Florida and looking at the Border Patrol. Looking at a GL-9 slot. Recruiter told me I could skip the written exam. Base pay is $53k. So with the BP, do they qualify for LEAP? What's the hiring process like for an experienced cop?
              It is worlds different than LEAP, but the long and short is it is still the same 25% extra on top of base pay. There are other options for + 12.5% and +0%, but few take it. With the selection of +25% comes ten hour days 5x10s

The 25% starts once you get to your station after the academy, shortly thereafter. It isn't available for the academy time.

You also get 10% night differential from 6pm to 6am, 25% Sunday pay, paid holidays or 'double pay' if you work a holiday.

OT essentially does not exist in BP, and even if you work extra days (say an extra 6th day), it is essentially straight pay once you're a journeyman GS12, it's just more hours on the check. But you can't just volunteer to work extra days, there has to be a sector approved need or operation.

honor first

Comment

• battlewagon
                battlewagon commented
                Editing a comment
                My biggest issue with the whole pay reform act is it began after the whistleblowing accusations of Agents claiming auo that they weren't working.

If those accusations were indeed correct, why was a pay reform the solution to these supposed acts of fraud or misrepresentation by Agents?

The logical solution would be to implement a system where time claimed worked after the standard 8 hour shift was more rigorous and verifiable. Such as having agents log into a agency computer and clock out via BPETS, or swipe a PIV card on a digital 'punch out' clock. This would prevent Agents from leaving after 8 hours and claiming 2 hours of AUO, which is what the whistleblower alligated. They can't log into BPETS two hours later from home and log out or swipe a PIV card in the station from home.

Now all they've done is create a new pay system that hurts morale and retention efforts, yet can still be abused the exact same way. Agents can just as easily be on an 8 + 2 contract under BPAPRA and walk out the station at 8 hours 1 minute.

• Exbpa340
                Exbpa340 commented
                Editing a comment
                There was a secondary AUO issue with BP. AUO is supposed to be unscheduled but every day everyone is logging 2 hours. BP essentially was using AUO as the overlap for shift coverage

0700-1500 shift - bumps mids at 0740. Then gets bumped at 1540 (40 minutes into AUO) spends the rest of AUO returning to the station and then washing/fueling vehicle. Those are not uncontrollable hours. They are scheduled and by law don’t fall under AUO. I think that was actually the bigger problem.

• Radio Raheem
                Radio Raheem commented
                Editing a comment
                If those accusations were indeed correct, why was a pay reform the solution to these supposed acts of fraud or misrepresentation by Agents?

They (Congress) already had AUO in its cross hairs years prior to the Pay Reform Act. AUO is hard to budget given the unpredictable nature of it. This is what I was told. I would have just budgeted for the complete 25% for each agent with a cap on FLSA. Every other agency has a cap on overtime. However, most agencies don't have as many people as BP except for CBP, but part of their job is collecting tariffs, which I believe funds their overtime.

• battlewagon
                battlewagon commented
                Editing a comment
                Good points boys. Never looked into it much, just took my lumps and pay cut.

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post
              It means they are contacting you regarding your BI
              ??
              Surely the email went into more detail, or provided you a POC email or telephone to follow-up?
              I emailed my case manager and she told me it was just an update in regard to were my process was since I had called to check on the status of it. Thanks for your response battlewagon.

Comment

• battlewagon
                battlewagon commented
                Editing a comment
                Glad to hear all is well.

• Originally posted by Florida_LEO View Post
              Question for the guys in Border Patrol.

We get pay that is equal to LEAP. Only difference is we have to actually work the hours we are paid. On LEAP, many of the people work 8 and leave. But when I worked in New York the DEA and USMS would work until 3 am and have to be back at work at 7, but would get paid for only 10 hours. In the Patrol we get comp time for anything past a ten hour work day which people on LEAP get nothing past 10 hours. Our pay plan does pay less than it use too but it is not anything less any other federal law enforcement agent on LEAP who is a journeyman GS12, but it does suck compared to what we use to get for sure. Obama made sure we got screwed because we keep out democratic voters. He hated the mean green as most democrats and a lot of republicans do so just know its a never ending political storm your coming into. But if you start as a 9 you will be making around 100k after three years with all of the premium pay you'll get. The customs CBPO position pays more than a PA gets in certain locations, but a lot less in other locations. Also that job has a completely different mindset and culture. Investigate both so you know full well what you are getting into. The CBPO position is more office like and customer service in its approach in some of there locations. The patrol is the complete opposite of that. But in the Patrol moving around is extremely difficult. In customs, it can be much easier depending on the location you are assigned. The fed retirement is nowhere near as good as a local or state cop in California makes but its better than many agencies in the midwest or southeast. Our medical, dental and vision plans are very good and you get to keep them when you retire.
              Last edited by SHU; 09-22-2019, 10:27 AM.

Comment

• Stay Frosty
                Stay Frosty commented
                Editing a comment
                How does the retirement compare to the locals like NYPD for example ?

• battlewagon
                battlewagon commented
                Editing a comment
                Fed retirement really isn't great compared to a lot of states. 25 years in an enhanced coverage retirement job like BP get 39% of their high three. Where BP shines as opposed to say NYPD is you're making well into the 100s in your career, in ultra low costs of living areas. A NYPD cop may make 180k a year with overtime, but they're paying NY cost of living or rotting away in traffic on the commute.
                You get pension, TSP, and social security supplement, a three part retirement. You can leave at 25 years at any age, or 20 years at or over 50 years old.
                If you join at 20, you can retire at 45. 33, retire 53. 28, retire at 50.
                Max entry age is 37, with waivers for vets and other scenarios.

• Radio Raheem
                Radio Raheem commented
                Editing a comment
                But when I worked in New York the DEA and USMS would work until 3 am and have to be back at work at 7, but would get paid for only 10 hours.

How often would they do that? I'm pretty sure it wasn't everyday. If so, then they should have gotten overtime for that, especially if it was scheduled.

• Stay Frosty
                Stay Frosty commented
                Editing a comment
                NYPD Tier 3 retirement:
                Tier 3 requires for a full pension 22.5 years. To get the full escalation ( a type of COLA with a 3% max) benefit, you would have to work until 25 years is completed. And when you hit age 62, your pension is reduced by half the calculated value of your social security benefit even if you elect to wait to receive those benefits. They have 457 deferred comp plan like the TSP, and a variable supplement plan, which is 12,000 at the end of each year after retirement. Health care cost is covered as well.

Looking to see which is better in the long run.
                Last edited by Stay Frosty; 09-30-2019, 11:02 PM.

• Idk if anyone can answer this but I finished my whole process and had to resubmit my equip for the background investigation a week ago. Is there anything else I would be called in for in regards to like a pre screening or anything?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9323 users online. 465 members and 8858 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X