300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post

Pretty much continuously. Why can't you apply now? Just asking in case you're wrong and you can actually apply now.
    Thank you.
    I'm active duty and my contract isnt up till Jan2022. I read I should apply 12 months before my ETS. Unless they are able to hold ky spot over a year?

Comment

• Tropictac
      Tropictac commented
      Editing a comment
      I applied (VRA) in Dec 2018 Im still waiting for BI and DT... If you have a long employment history apply a year and 3 or 4 months out, with that you will have a 6 months window to plan all the movements.

• Kyoz25
      Kyoz25 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! how long have you been in? I'm sure my background investigation will take a long time since I spent 7 years overseas and my wife is a Japanese citizen.

• Finally got accepted after 9 months of waiting so im
    pretty excited. Just need to wait on my offer letter via email and I’ll be golden. Can somebody run me through what my first day is gonna be like and what I should expect after that?
    thanks in advance and god bless!

Comment

• Lovetocamp
      Lovetocamp commented
      Editing a comment
      You ever look at those Marine Corps day 0 at Parris Island? **** like that but milder.

Instructors will be yelling at you til like week 2. PT instructors are the same way throughout the whole academy.

If you're prior military its kinda funny. Bit of a joke. PT wasn't though, even I huffed and puffed after 100s of body builders. Drenched in sweat and a shoulder injury to boot. Good times.

• FNG41YR
      FNG41YR commented
      Editing a comment
      Basically a wannabe Marine Corps boot camp.

• Exbpa340
      Exbpa340 commented
      Editing a comment
      FNG41R did you attend the BP academy?

• How intense is the job history deal? Am I going to have to put down jobs all the way back to sacking groceries in high school in like 2005?

Comment

• TheArcher
      TheArcher commented
      Editing a comment
      battlewagon well it says "no one thing will necessarily disqualify you" so I'll just have to see what they say. If they reject me for it I'll just get the surgery and wait.

• battlewagon
      battlewagon commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure what you're reading because one thing can certainly DQ you and remove you from the process. Here are the vision requirements

Specific Medical Requirements:
      Vision

Distant vision acuity - must be equal to or better than 20/100 in each eye without correction, i.e., without eye glasses or contact lenses
      Corrected distance vision must be 20/20
      Monocular vision is generally disqualifying
      Depth perception must be equal to or better than 70 seconds of arc
      Peripheral vision must be normal
      Color vision - must demonstrate normal color vision, without the use of an x-chromatic lens or any other artificial device
      Refractive surgery/LASIK – minimum of 90 day recovery period following procedure, free from significant untoward side effects of surgery, e.g., glare, contrast sensitivity

• TheArcher
      TheArcher commented
      Editing a comment
      battlewagon Its above where you copy and pasted, I found it here:
      https://www.cbp.gov/careers/frontlin...s/bpa/app-proc

"After tentative selection, candidates must undergo a pre-employment medical examination and be found medically qualified to perform the position's full range of duties safely and efficiently. Any disease or condition that may potentially interfere with the safe and efficient performance of the job's duties or training may result in medical disqualification. No condition is automatically disqualifying; each determination is made on a case-by-case basis. The medical determination may involve recommendations for additional information and/or testing."

• Talonderiel
      Talonderiel commented
      Editing a comment
      TheArcher, depends on the the commander.... they may have already heard from the Commander. But I may take the information. :P

Last edited by Buck_Macdonald; 07-31-2019, 06:11 AM.

Comment

• Hmm need another hearing test due to asymmetrical hearing. Anyone done this and been accepted?

Comment

• ArchStanton
        ArchStanton commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll try to PM you some info tonight. I was flagged for asymmetrical hearing loss. It was a speedbump but I cleared medical and EOD 1/6/20.

• Kevin Rogers
        Kevin Rogers commented
        Editing a comment
        Def let me know how you over came it.

• Kevin Rogers
        Kevin Rogers commented
        Editing a comment
        Well i passed the SI, maybe that will help.

• Quick question, I don't speak spanish at all, should I go to a community college and get a head start on a beginners level Spanish course or will they teach me the key stuff I need at the academy?

is there anything I should do in advance to get a jump start? Apart from exercising every day that is...

Comment

• Tropictac
        Tropictac commented
        Editing a comment
        Any program that offers immersion (Rosetta Stone), also place everything in Spanish at your house. Watch the telenovelas of some series in Netflix change the language to Spanish with English subtitles. If you have a friend (Mexico, El Salvador, Honduras or from Guatemala- LEGAL) that speak Spanish that will be helpful. Spanish is way different in those countries but at least you can learn some of the regional jargon.

I did the same thing to learn English.

• battlewagon
        battlewagon commented
        Editing a comment
        You will be taught everything you need at the academy.

• Exbpa340
        Exbpa340 commented
        Editing a comment
        Anything you can learn before the academy should be beneficial (minus slang). I would concentrate on vocabulary and verb conjugations/tenses.

From what I’ve seen Rosetta Stone and Duolingo are not very comprehensive programs. One of the best items you can purchase to learn Spanish is the 501 Spanish Verb book. It’s sold pretty much everywhere and explains the tenses and conjugations better than any other book I’ve ever come across.

• My EOD is Oct 28 to Imperial Beach and head to the Academy Oct 31st. Is there anyone else that has the same date?

Comment

• I just applied for a veterans only position. How long does the process typically take? Does it tend to move faster for better qualified candidates? How selective are they and what type of background do they look for? I have 4 years military, 2 years corrections, and 5 years combined with a sheriffs office and police department. I know a small amount of spanish due to having a large Hispanic population in my jurisdiction.

Comment

• NoSoup4you
          NoSoup4you commented
          Editing a comment
          Rockeysf Not selective. Theyll take just about any veteran. If your background is clean with minimal waivers and processed out of the military within the past year, you could be finished with the process in 4-6months. If not, and your clearance is no longer active, itll take a bit longer. Probably 6-8 months. Almost everything depends on the background investigation. The rest of the stuff you'll cruise through in the first month or two.
          Last edited by NoSoup4you; 08-19-2019, 09:36 AM.

• What are the weekends like at the academy? Do you have to report back to your room on the weekends or can you stay with a friend or family on the weekend if they live near by?

Comment

• Exbpa340
          Exbpa340 commented
          Editing a comment
          After class and on days off/holidays you are free to use your time as you see fit. Extensive time spent away from the academy (visiting family every weekend) could have a negative impact on your performance.

• Klumper23
          Klumper23 commented
          Editing a comment
          most of us have only been going home on the long weekends

• For those who want a glimpse into the academy...

https://youtu.be/7W7Ir0yZReA
        Last edited by Radio Raheem; 08-13-2019, 11:16 AM.
        OUT!!

Comment

• FNG41YR
          FNG41YR commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL they try so hard to be like Marine Corps boot camp

• Exbpa340
          Exbpa340 commented
          Editing a comment
          FNG41YR.. you must be a bundle of joy to work with... You’ve never attended the BP academy but are sure you know what it’s like.

• How many classmates do you share a dorm room with ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ohio1994 View Post
          How many classmates do you share a dorm room with ?
          Unless there are unusually overpacked at the academy, you don't share rooms. The rooms at Artesia are big enough for a bed, a desk, and your own sink and mirror. Two rooms share a bathroom in the middle.

At FLETC Glynco right now, lots of people are doubling up. But it isn't that common at Artesia. Even when the BP Academy is EODing a class every pay period, it doesn't usually happen. It has before, but isn't common.
          UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
          "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post

Unless there are unusually overpacked at the academy, you don't share rooms. The rooms at Artesia are big enough for a bed, a desk, and your own sink and mirror. Two rooms share a bathroom in the middle.

At FLETC Glynco right now, lots of people are doubling up. But it isn't that common at Artesia. Even when the BP Academy is EODing a class every pay period, it doesn't usually happen. It has before, but isn't common.
            It's a mix at Glyco at least. When I was there for TSA I got lucky and was placed at the big dorms at the back of the academy (the taj). Full bath, half kitchen, full bed room, and living room. Other dorms are like the ones in Artesia, and then there are a few with two beds in a room for doubling up .

I'm in the process for both OFO and BPA. Just finished my SI with BP and got the pass. My eqip is submitted and being reviewed by OPR, and I just scheduled my PTF for a week from now. Really looking forward to a solid LE career vs my old job at my local SO

Comment

• battlewagon
              battlewagon commented
              Editing a comment
              The Taj is pretty much guaranteed doubling up in rooms right now. The crackhouses at Glynco are now the desirable ones now, since they don't double them up. Plus, they're not bad anyways, close to gym, g-bar, classes, etc. Never understood why they got the name 'the crack houses'.

• merlin436
              merlin436 commented
              Editing a comment
              @battlewagon,

The original crackhouses were the townhouses across the pond from the cafeteria. When they were originally converted to student housing they were a mishmash of shoddy adaptations and, depending on what sort of original room was converted into housing, an occupant might find himself with "luxuries" like a sink or closet...or nothing at all. Since they were originally family houses and largely subpar...the moniker "crackhouses" arose.

Eventually, those townhouses were converted into administrative units. The "Taj" became the prime student housing on the property and the name "crackhouses" shifted to the housing that carries the name today.

• SHU
              SHU commented
              Editing a comment
              I left the Taj last week and had my own room. Everybody in my course was solo.
              Last edited by SHU; 08-20-2019, 10:34 PM.

• battlewagon
              battlewagon commented
              Editing a comment
              Ah TIL thanks Merlin. Yeah the current crack houses were more than good to me.

SHU that's what's up. My old BP classmate graduated HSI about 3 weeks ago and he was doubled, and my CG friend who just EOD for AMO (but hasn't reported to fletc yet, he has EOD at an AMO office) has been told to expect it. Maybe they've made some room. Unless it's a different standard for basic academy participants and people there for training if you were just there for a short period of time.

• Passed my SI last week, sent off my eQIP today. Waiting on Medical and PT test.

Comment

• How many days do you get to go home and get your stuff and move to your station after graduation?

Comment

• Exbpa340
                Exbpa340 commented
                Editing a comment
                Typically it should be a travel day plus 5 admin days. So if you graduate on a Thursday your travel day will be on a Friday. Saturday and Sunday would be days off. The next Monday through Friday would be the admin days. Then off on Saturday and Sunday. First day to report would be on that Monday.

You most likely will only get reimbursed the amount to cover your return expenses to Sector from the academy. Everything else is out of pocket.

• NoSoup4you
                NoSoup4you commented
                Editing a comment
                Exbpa340 Ouch. I was hoping they did something. Relocating a family is not cheap...

• Exbpa340
                Exbpa340 commented
                Editing a comment
                Moving to your first duty station is almost always on the applicant/new hire. On occasion there may be paid moves down the road but for the most part the paid move is part of a long gone era in the federal government.

• Radio Raheem
                Radio Raheem commented
                Editing a comment
                One of the only agencies that still do paid moves is the FBI.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8998 users online. 438 members and 8560 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X