Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need any and all info you got on Laredo west, McAllen and rio grande City, got 24 hours to make a choice

Comment

• Got an offer on provisional clear, need to know what you guys know about Laredo west, rio grande city, McAllen and Zapatta

Comment

• Originally posted by Ohio1994 View Post
        Got an offer on provisional clear, need to know what you guys know about Laredo west, rio grande city, McAllen and Zapatta
        Ohhh right up my alley. So Laredo and Zapata should be off the table no questions asked.

For both McAllen and Rio grande city under the Rio grande Valley sector, you're probably going to end up living in McAllen mission or Edinburg which are three towns just jammed against each other with no defined boundaries really. Each has a major plus and a major negative in my opinion.

McAllen station is in McAllen so your commute will be short. The negative is McAllen is a station with damn near 30 X's (meaning your 8-10 hour shift is park on that spot and not moving inch, even if there is illegal crossing nearby or even if you can see them running from your window). That number of x may have gone up or down since I left but they are still there.

Rio grande City station the big negative is the commute. From mission area where you would likely live, the commute is about 45 minutes. Edinburg area is about an hour during the day with traffic. The giant plus for RGC is it always hovers around the top three for busiest drug stations in the country, as well as top 3 for busiest alien stations, so there's tons of work. Also, the station has no border wall, just a handful of cameras and aerostats, and not much else for technology so it's definitely 'old Patrol' and wild west at times, which is a good thing.

There are a dozen other things to consider like McAllen having a bigger boat Patrol for example, so more likely to be able to get on it then the Rio grande City boat Patrol. Both have atvs and the other basic details, but McAllen has dirtbikes for example that RGC didn't have when I left (may have changed). But McAllen has a lot more BS assignments that pull you off patrol as well. Though at this point in time, everyone is off the line with the family unit situation.

You really can't go wrong with either station. If I went back to RGV tomorrow, and had to pick between McAllen and Rio grande City, I would personally pick Rio grande City despite knowing the commute everyday in your personal vehicle. But I know plenty of people who would pick McAllen. either way you're very lucky to have those two options on the table, I have quite a few people I've personally recruited from my reserve units and other places who only received falfurrias as an option for RGV in the last 6 months.

I'm sure other can chime in, good luck

Edit: sorry for all the errors, I tried to correct a few but I'm using voice text
        Last edited by battlewagon; 06-06-2019, 04:45 PM.
        UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
        "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• battlewagon
          battlewagon commented
          Editing a comment
          Laredo is all of the negatives of living on the border (which isn't a lot), but none of the positives of living on the border, such as low housing costs. Real estate in Laredo, compared to the Rio grande valley might as well be California. Laredo also doesn't have much to do, is barely closer to San Antonio than RGV but 3+ more hours further from the beach and South Padre island (about an hour ten from McAllen), and worst of all, you have to live in laredo, one of the most boring cities in the planet.

But the absolute biggest negative if all is laredo west has a checkpoint, whereas RGC and MCS does not.

• Ohio1994
          Ohio1994 commented
          Editing a comment
          battlewagon see I thought just north had a checkpoint and west did not. I must of misunderstood on my research. So mission is the place to look at as far as living goes if I got with RGV

• battlewagon
          battlewagon commented
          Editing a comment
          I preferred Edinburg, but the problem with Edinburg if you choose RGC is you have to take a highway junction to get home, and it gets super backed up during the rush hours. But wherever youre from, this area is probably unique in that mission, edinburg, mcallen (and other smaller cities) aren't like separated by a drive like most places. They all touch each other with very unstraight borders. you can drive 5 blocks and go through 3 city limits in some areas.

• Ohio1994
          Ohio1994 commented
          Editing a comment
          Put my call in tonight, went with rio grande as my top choice. According to google maps it’s a 30 minutes drive from mission to the station so that’s not bad at all. Now just to hope my background goes through so I can quit worrying and relax. I appreciate the help

• Deleted.......
        Last edited by Hopejoy; 06-22-2019, 09:08 AM.

Comment

• Hi, I passed my structured interview April 30th in Laredo,TX. Now I am waiting for the polygraph, but I haven't heard anything since I passed the interview. All I received was that
          "Your tentative selection notification stated that your offer was contingent upon successful completion of all pre-employment requirements, including a Structured Interview (SI). This is notification that you have passed the SI for the BORDER PATROL AGENT position."

Do anyone knows how long it usually take to hear something from the polygraph to sent up a date, and the background investigator?? Thank you.

Comment

• Nousername1
            Nousername1 commented
            Editing a comment
            It took 3 months for me to take poly after passing SI.

• Ohio1994
            Ohio1994 commented
            Editing a comment
            I got a call less than a week after I got that email to set up my polygraph. My SI wasn’t even a month ago and i just got my offer a few days ago. So it just depends, so people wait a long time and others get pushed through fast

• Oh ok, Thank you.

Comment

• Ohio1994 what area you did your processing? And where you did your SI?

Comment

• Ohio1994
              Ohio1994 commented
              Editing a comment
              SI was in port Clinton Ohio, and poly was Indianapolis. I took a provisional clear offer Thursday. Going to Rio Grande City Station EOD 9-9-19

• Just out of curiosity what will stop you from getting cleared on your background check? How serious is it? I have nothing to hide and have never had an issue passing one but this one seems to be very in-depth. Do they freeze your bank account? Look at tax returns the whole 9? I’m a broke college kid, been working a big boy job at a low level for over a year but I don’t make much, my bank account will look like I’m broke so I’m afraid I’ll look “financially irresponsible “ but all my bills get paid on time every time. Hints why I’m broke lol

Comment

• Talonderiel
              Talonderiel commented
              Editing a comment
              Ohio1994, If it's the same as they do for the military, they will look at your income vs your over-all debt and then look at your future income to determine your potential for risk. Student loans and a house typically don't weigh as heavily as discretionary spending.

They will not freeze your bank account unless you are arrested for some financial crimes, so no worries there! :P

You should be fine as long as nothing is at collections and you don't have like several magnitudes of discretionary spending over your income.

• Ohio1994
              Ohio1994 commented
              Editing a comment
              The only loan I have is my college Loan, and it’s not even that much. What do mean by discretionary spending?

• battlewagon
              battlewagon commented
              Editing a comment
              They don't make inquiries into your bank account balances or anything like that. They're simply pulling your credit report to make sure you're not delinquent on debt with constant missed payments, 'bad debt' (80k in credit card vs 80k in student loans), things like that. People who are drowning in debt and are costly behind on payments and things like that are more susceptible to bribery and corruption.

• Talonderiel
              Talonderiel commented
              Editing a comment
              Ohio1994, discretionary spending is like tv's, computers, excessive furniture, etc..... Basically luxury items that aren't necessities that show an inability to balance a budget and thus become more susceptible to bribery and corruption as Battewagon said.

• Ohio1994 Congrats man, and your EOD 9/9/19 is that your academy start date or resume to your station date?
            I'm doing my process out of Houston, TX

Comment

• Ohio1994
              Ohio1994 commented
              Editing a comment
              Academy start date is September 12

• Ohio1994 congrats man

Comment

• Got my final offer almost a week ago and CASS still shows me as not having my drug test done or getting my offer, is this normal? I’ve got both done a week ago.

Comment

• battlewagon
                battlewagon commented
                Editing a comment
                CASS is not a great indicator of actual application status. Longer you're in the feds and applying to jobs, you'll see USAjobs isn't as well. I think I'm on my fourth firm agency offer but I don't think a single one says anything past referred. Definitely never had one say hired.

• Radio Raheem
                Radio Raheem commented
                Editing a comment
                You made me look at mine, and, like yours, none of them read "hired." Funny, once I got the phone call or email with a final offer, I didn't think to look back at USAJOBS...LOL. I was too busy doing the MC Hammer typewritter dance.

• Anyone received this email after having met with the background investigator (3 months ago) and having the package submitted to CBP?
              Attached Files

Comment

• So today I received an email telling me this:

We are in the process of adjudicating your background investigation for your position with Customs and Border Protection. However, additional information is required from you in order to complete this process. To expedite, I would like to correspond with you via e-mail.

Anyone ever receive anything like that or know what could be the cause?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rdeljr983 View Post
                  So today I received an email telling me this:

We are in the process of adjudicating your background investigation for your position with Customs and Border Protection. However, additional information is required from you in order to complete this process. To expedite, I would like to correspond with you via e-mail.

Anyone ever receive anything like that or know what could be the cause?
                  Often times that is them seeking follow up regarding something in your eqip package. For example, admitted MJ use, credit questions from their BI searches, family that are immigrants or foreign nationals, etc. but of course every situation is unique and it could be anything
                  UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                  "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• battlewagon Good morning, I just want to ask you. Do you have an idea of the average time frame for houston Texas from passing the Structure Interview to get call for polygraph and BI and drug test? Thank you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12645 users online. 464 members and 12181 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X