Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any 18-4s here?? I’m still in the process of getting my background cleared since November.

Comment

• Nousername1
      Nousername1 commented
      Editing a comment
      18-6 waiting on BI also. Met BI late October 2018

• Finally got my SI scheduled. It’s not until the end of April.

Comment

• I applied for the GS-5, during the SI one of the guys said that you start off at like $50,000 but on the job posting it says $41,187. Does anyone really know what the starting base pay will be? I am just curious.

Comment

• Originally posted by sarah_rod25 View Post
      I applied for the GS-5, during the SI one of the guys said that you start off at like $50,000 but on the job posting it says $41,187. Does anyone really know what the starting base pay will be? I am just curious.
      The GS-5 pay is 41848 at the academy. This is the for the majority of New hire locations. Some Cali stations will be different, some in Texas, etc.

GS9 starts at 53194.

Once you finish the academy and get on FTO, your pay should increase by 25%, as you'll start on a 8+2 schedule I haven't heard if any FTOs i know doing 8+1, so that should be a sure bet. So right there you'll be at 51ish. That may be what the person was referring too.

These are the 2019 rest of US pay tables, which are for the lowest cost of living areas in the US, which covers much of the border
      https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...S%20(LEO).aspx
      UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
      "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• sarah_rod25
        sarah_rod25 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the information! I really appreciate it.

• Got poly test date for the end of this month . Let see how it goes.

Comment

• Anthony_525
        Anthony_525 commented
        Editing a comment
        My EQIP was rejected, so just waiting for it to “hopefully” be released this time.

• Medic1123
        Medic1123 commented
        Editing a comment
        It has been really fast, my background hasn’t clear though

• Talonderiel
        Talonderiel commented
        Editing a comment
        BI won't clear till after the Poly..... As it is a part of the totality.

• LEO 1234
        LEO 1234 commented
        Editing a comment
        I took poly and still BI hasn’t cleared yet . So doesn’t really clear right after poly

• Does anyone know what "Direct Hire" entails exactly?

Comment

• Originally posted by sarah_rod25 View Post
        Does anyone know what "Direct Hire" entails exactly?
        It allows the agency to bypass veterans preference and other hiring standards written into law and policy so that it can hire faster. Instead of having to give vets preference for example and processing them and offering them jobs first, the agency can put everyone into the pipeline at the same time and give them all job offers at the same time. Other things as well.

Agencies have to prove to OPM they are having trouble meeting hiring standards using the traditional means. BP is a great example. HSI is an agency for example that is abusing the Direct Hire and will probably face a class action from it's own employees one day.

Long and short is it is a good thing for every one in the BP process and doesn't disadvantage anyone.

honor first

Comment

• Talonderiel
          Talonderiel commented
          Editing a comment
          CBP as a whole definitely will benefit from the program. Hopefully it becomes an example of a way to improve and remedy the traditional hiring system. Of course, this is provided agency do not abuse the authority as you have noted.

battlewagon, thank you for the insights!

• sarah_rod25
          sarah_rod25 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for the information! I appreciate it.
          Last edited by sarah_rod25; 04-05-2019, 10:17 AM.

• Good luck to anyone applying.

First and foremost, if you hate being in a crappy border town like me and are from places where civilization isn't 2+ hours away, do not apply for it. The job is great and all but my daily off duty life is miserable. Trying to get the **** out ASAP.

If you're offered Laredo or something, go for it. Only decent border town, and work. Just don't go to Laredo North if you don't want your life sucked out through a straw. That and some of my classmates got Chula Vista, CA (right next to San Diego so it's actually liveable and wouldn't mind being a BP agent there).

DO NOT accept the following stations, unless you hate your life or you're from these towns.

Ajo, Arizona
        Sanderson, Texas
        Marfa, TX
        Alpine, TX
        Sierra Blanca, TX
        Zapata, TX
        Eagle Pass North, TX (Riddled with nothing but family units and processing right now, work is terrible according to classmates)

RGV sector has hella good works, tons of drug loads, huge groups. The valley is alright not as miserable as where I'm at.
        Last edited by Lovetocamp; 04-08-2019, 01:05 PM.
        Current BPA. LET ME OUT!!

Comment

• Srhernza115
          Srhernza115 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the advice. I’m from a small border town so I’m used to it but it’s not as bad as some other places I’ve seen in Texas. I’ve passed everything so far and I am scheduled for my drug test tomorrow so I’m guessing an offer is gonna come knocking on my door here soon. Hopefully they have a location close to home.

• Originally posted by Lovetocamp View Post
        Good luck to anyone applying.

First and foremost, if you hate being in a crappy border town like me and are from places where civilization isn't 2+ hours away, do not apply for it. The job is great and all but my daily off duty life is miserable. Trying to get the **** out ASAP.

If you're offered Laredo or something, go for it. Only decent border town, and work. Just don't go to Laredo North if you don't want your life sucked out through a straw. That and some of my classmates got Chula Vista, CA (right next to San Diego so it's actually liveable and wouldn't mind being a BP agent there).

DO NOT accept the following stations, unless you hate your life or you're from these towns.

Ajo, Arizona
        Sanderson, Texas
        Marfa, TX
        Alpine, TX
        Sierra Blanca, TX
        Zapata, TX
        Eagle Pass North, TX (Riddled with nothing but family units and processing right now, work is terrible according to classmates)

RGV sector has hella good works, tons of drug loads, huge groups. The valley is alright not as miserable as where I'm at.
        I think anyone here would agree. Choosing west tx/NM is a career and joy-of-life death sentence. South Texas is honestly the only region you can select that is guaranteed to be able to live in a good place In a large town with stuff to do. Cali runs the risk of El Centro or cax, anything in AZ runs risks of places like ajo, Douglas, etc. All of NM sucks and West Texas is going to be thing like this guy's post.

The worst part of south Texas region is living in Laredo, and that's las Vegas compared to many border towns. No station in South Texas is more than an hour commute from a major city to live in

honor first

Comment

• I beg to differ. Laredo is not all bad. It pretty much has everything you need, and it's 2hrs from San Antonio if you want to get away. Granted you may not want to drive that far but, it's there. For a small town, Laredo has a couple of nice movie theaters, a couple of malls, good food (though the variety is lacking), a number of decent after-hour spots, a baseball team, a few very nice neighborhoods, great weather ( I like the heat), HEB (which is by far the best grocery store EVER), the airport is the cleanest and most efficient airport I've flown out of thus far, and it's growing.

Laredo North is one of those stations where you can gain the most experience on your path to Supervisordom. Checkpoints see the most smuggling cases, and not all BPAs can conduct or supervise checkpoint operations properly.

Laredo South is by far the best station in Laredo work-wise. It's fast paced in most areas and tracking (SC) in others.

Laredo West is a bit of both; however, it's farther from the city center. Not too far though.

Zapata station is about an hour commute from Laredo proper, but it is pure patrol work. Many of the BPAs live in Laredo.

Hebbronville is a cool station as well, but the commute is dreadfully long. Some BPAs live in Laredo others live in the Valley.

Freer sucks. Some viking BPAs live on the outskirts of Corpus.

Cotulla is mostly highway and SC. A lot of BPAs like this station because it's about an hour from the outskirts of San Antonio, and some of them live in SA. I don't like commutes, so it was a no for me.

No one is EOD'ing at the San Antonio or Dallas Stations...EVER. So, don't even consider those as options.

AJO, which is obviously not in the Laredo Sector, was one of those stations that you go to and promote to Supervisor very quickly. I don't know if this is true now. Alot of BPAs live in Buckeye, AZ, which about 35 miles east of Phoenix.

You make the best out of your situation.

However, I personally wouldn't want to live in Laredo for more than 10 years, but that's me. Also, and this goes for alot of border towns, spouses (even professionals) have a hard time finding work in Laredo. The language barrier plays a huge part. I've known nurse practitioners, lawyers, doctors, etc. that cannot find work because they don't speak Spanish.

I hope this helps.

P.S. TACO PALENQUE!!!!!!!
          Last edited by Radio Raheem; 04-09-2019, 11:10 AM.
          OUT!!

Comment

• omi300
            omi300 commented
            Editing a comment
            thanks for the advise. they call me and offer me lerdo south and i accepted my EOD IS MAY 6

• Radio Raheem
            Radio Raheem commented
            Editing a comment
            Congratulations!!!! Do your thing and have fun at the academy!!!

• What stations would be best, once out of probation period and into journeyman, to transition into Riverine patrols with the SDV or the Safe Boats? Hoping to maximize my Navy training with this new career.... should I survive the hiring process. 8 months down only a few more to go! :P
          CBPO 19-1
          CBPO (44%)
          Eqip: done
          PFT1: 11/08/2018
          Medical: 10/30/2018
          SI: 12/11/2018
          Poly: 4/15/2019 (QC request additional screening
          Poly 2: 5/22/2019

BPA 19-1
          BPA (44%):
          Eqip: done
          PFT1: 11/08/2018
          Medical: 10/30/2018
          SI: 03/05/2019
          Poly: 4/15/2019 (QC request additional screening
          Poly 2: 5/22/2019

MIA (DoA due to Fed Resume writing issues.... I am getting lessons now :P )

Comment

• Lovetocamp
            Lovetocamp commented
            Editing a comment
            Puerto Rico, but you're not getting that any time soon. You're better off applying for AMO, the river patrols aren't even all that. It's a slow *** air boat with the big fan like you see in the Florida Everglades. Even then you're not getting on that detail til the fat 300lb agent that has been in for 20 years finally decides to stop.

• Radio Raheem
            Radio Raheem commented
            Editing a comment
            If you have a six-pack license, you should look into the Marine Interdiction Agent position. Lovetocamp is right. It's a pretty sweet gig and BPAs in that detail won't give it up easy. No nights, no processing, you are pretty much a non factor to the BS at the stations. I did it for a week and I hated it. Zapata station has a lake in their AOR so they don't have the swap boats.

• Talonderiel
            Talonderiel commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for the information! I have been rejected two times from MIA applications due to my resume writing skills (or lack thereof).

Once I pass the poly then I have a professional (a good friend) revamping my federal resume to show the experience the first two didn't properly capture. She said my resumes were horrible, but the truth is the truth. lol

• Originally posted by Talonderiel View Post
          What stations would be best, once out of probation period and into journeyman, to transition into Riverine patrols with the SDV or the Safe Boats? Hoping to maximize my Navy training with this new career.... should I survive the hiring process. 8 months down only a few more to go! :P
          Depends on station. McAllen station in Texas for example will have tons of Junior agents getting boat training. Guys a single pay period off their year probation. In MCS they run SAFE boats due to deep water depth. McAllen has a large trainee boat crew because they run three shifts around the clock, with a lot of boats. Plus, once you're on boats there, you'll never get off them, so people dont join it. Lots of guys would finish their year, two year detail and be ready to go back to the line and the station would force them to stay on, 'needs of the agency'.

But then the next station down the river was very tough to get on boats since they didn't run many, and not around the clock. RGC for example runs air boats like the above poster spoke of, as well as jet drive flat bottom boats since the water varies from 20+ feet to less than a foot.

And hate to break it to you but if you go to a station where boats are tough to get on, your Navy time means nothing. It is by seniority. I didn't get picked up for a while even though I was homies with the boat sup, and I was from a coast guard small boat station, driving the exact same boats. Seniority is king.

honor first

Comment

• Talonderiel
            Talonderiel commented
            Editing a comment
            battlewagon, thank you for the information!

I figured senior would be the dominating factor for most things. I'm used to it from my last contract fed leo job at CCAFS/Kennedy Space Center. At least this time it will be a sworn position and I'm totally okay with putting my time in first to earn the respect.

• Thanks for all the station info below. That's a wealth of information. Looks like I'm just waiting on the offer call since I've passed everything else and was hoping y'all could give me some insight. How long is BPA training/academy? I've seen anywhere from 58 days to 6 months? Can't seem to lock down on a target length.
          Also, how do transfer stations work? Provided all goes as planned, I'll being going in as a GL-9. How long do you have to put in your time before you can apply to transfer stations? Or, at what point does that happen? Thanks for the help.

Comment

• Radio Raheem
            Radio Raheem commented
            Editing a comment
            Outside of a compassionate transfer or a promotion, I haven't seen anyone transfer any earlier than their sixth year. Moving around in Border Patrol is probably one of the most difficult things to do in the government. If you are considering an interior station or the Northern Border then I suggest you apply to another agency. Management told me that could request for the transfer and wait, but since I couldn't hold my breath that long, I just applied to other agencies.

• Originally posted by WaitingonWord View Post
          Thanks for all the station info below. That's a wealth of information. Looks like I'm just waiting on the offer call since I've passed everything else and was hoping y'all could give me some insight. How long is BPA training/academy? I've seen anywhere from 58 days to 6 months? Can't seem to lock down on a target length.
          Also, how do transfer stations work? Provided all goes as planned, I'll being going in as a GL-9. How long do you have to put in your time before you can apply to transfer stations? Or, at what point does that happen? Thanks for the help.
          The easiest way to transfer is to promote. Even then, new sups usually get hired for busy/SWB stations. But once you have sup experience, you can apply for other desirable sup spots or even memo around as a sup. Supervisors are not bound by the ultra restrictive movement policies of regular line agents that the union has negotiated.

And it depends on where you get. For example, if swaps are around whenever you're at that point in years, no one is going to swap a desirable station for your Ajo or Presidio.

Whether you want to move via promotion or other programs (such as ROB where 50% or selections are by resume and not seniority), the way to make that happen is be a proactive agent. Be a good agent on the line, don't be a know it all, be a good trainee, learn your AOR and be respectful of other agents, whether they deserve it or not. Just being a hard-working agent that is a good guy to work with will do your career wonders. I had a very senior agent one time tell me out of the blue while cleaning up a group that he always liked and respected me because i called him sir even multiple years in, and was a team player. And this was a laid back dude, not the kind of guy who wanted anyone to call him sir. I just did it out of habit. Don't be kiss *** either though. Once you have a good name, you will get on details that will beef up your resume for either promotion or transfer.
          EDIT: the first detail I made was the one that shaped my career. And I got it by being known as a proactive team player. I put in for a detail and unbeknownst to me, a sup from my station was on detail to Sector HQ and happened to be assisting a unit with going through applicants for the detail. At that time I was a junior agent with not much in terms of lots of experience, but that supervisor that knew of my work and reputation pulled my name out of the ''not selected" stack and said "this guy is 10-8" and I was selected. Thats not a bragging story. It just shows how being a good agent will get you places without having to be a suck up.

Don't be a line agent that does nothing but patrol for ten years, has never done a career building detail (public affairs, prosecutions, etc) who has a 72 supervisor test score that bitches about guys making sup in six years who have done so much already. There's absolutely nothing wrong with staying on the line and never doing details, etc, I'd say they're the true agents. But if you choose that path, know what you've chosen.
          Last edited by battlewagon; 04-09-2019, 02:52 PM.

honor first

Comment

• Thoughts on Border Patrol vs NYPD ? Is the poly still a nightmare for prospective candidates ?

Comment

• Lovetocamp
              Lovetocamp commented
              Editing a comment
              I'd go NYPD. Wealth of patrol officer experience there and the pay ain't bad. You live in a city, and not a town with 1000 people. Apply for both man, doesn't hurt. 60% failure rate still for our poly. Dont think NYPD has one.

The only upside to the patrol would be better benefits, keep more of your pay and good stepping stone into other federal agencies. But most beat cops can get into 1811 and other fed positions if you have your degree and patrol experience.

• battlewagon
              battlewagon commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree, but the way I see it is if federal special agent 1811 is your career endgame, why would you waste you time going local, KNOWING you aren't going to get a full pension there, just to start your clock all over again when you leave for the feds. Just my two cents.

• Stay Frosty
              Stay Frosty commented
              Editing a comment
              A federal special agent 1811 position would be great, but I'm just looking for a good agency with a good pension, great pay, medical, benefits, abundant opportunities for career advancement, day to day work being active, tactical/firearms, being independent, exciting, working with a tight nit group of people.

• battlewagon
              battlewagon commented
              Editing a comment
              Sure, more of a reply to the other commenter. Good thing about NYPD is it so big that you can do so many different details and assignments so you may not feel the urge to go fed.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10643 users online. 461 members and 10182 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X