Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hopefulfed36 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I'm a current sophomore in college and will graduate with "superior academic achievement". I am wondering what the BPA position is like for someone right out of college looking to start a career in federal LE. How long before being eligible for a specialty? What are the prospects for moving into an 1811 position with other agencies down the road? I have read that BP is a great way into the 1811 world, so would BP experience coupled with a bachelors degree at least put me in the running for an 1811 spot? Also, I understand that most new agents are put on the SW border. It seems like there aren't many cities/towns along the border. So where do most agents live? Do they make longer commutes from cities further from the border? Any information you all could provide is appreciated!
    If you finish your Bachelors degree with SA then you will qualify to EOD as a GL-7. Border Patrol is one of the best entry federal law enforcement positions in the federal government. Experience as a BPA with a bachelors degree should make you competitive for an 1811 position but there are not many entry level positions that open up and competition can be fierce.
    “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
    DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

• hopefulfed36
      hopefulfed36 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the insight!

• FNG41YR
      FNG41YR commented
      Editing a comment
      BP experience does not make you more competitive for 1811. Gives you work experience but that’s about it IMO

• Exbpa340
      Exbpa340 commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s why I said BP experience with a bachelors degree (especially with SAA) should make you competitive and in the running for entry level 1811 positions.

• Radio Raheem
      Radio Raheem commented
      Editing a comment
      Also, you might want to try and get into a detail that mirrors 1811 KSAs ( i.e. investigative work, intelligence, court case management, real interviews.) Task force officers or prosecutions usually dip and dab in those experience pools.

• Originally posted by Exbpa340 View Post

If you finish your Bachelors degree with SA then you will qualify to EOD as a GL-7. Border Patrol is one of the best entry federal law enforcement positions in the federal government. Experience as a BPA with a bachelors degree should make you competitive for an 1811 position but there are not many entry level positions that open up and competition can be fierce.
    I tried very hard to get GL-7. The first time I made an application error and only got offered gl-5, so I re applied and still only got gl-5 even though I met all the requirements and qualified under superior academic achievement. I will be happy to go in even as a gl-5 though!

I turn in my e-QIP tonight and have my medical exam this Friday.
    Last edited by Anthony_525; 02-27-2019, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• Exbpa340
      Exbpa340 commented
      Editing a comment
      My son just completed his bachelors degree (conferred last month) with SAA and today he accepted a BPA position in AZ and will EOD as a GL7 in early May.

• Anthony_525
      Anthony_525 commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s awesome! I graduate this May with my bachelors with SAA as well. Did your son pick az on his application?

• Exbpa340
      Exbpa340 commented
      Editing a comment
      AZ was his preference but he was offered a total of 18 locations all across CA, AZ, NM and TX.

• i have 88%, the only left is the final offer. does anybody know how much it take to give me the final offer call

Comment

• Talonderiel
      Talonderiel commented
      Editing a comment
      Hell yeah!!!! Congrats!

• omi300
      omi300 commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks appreciate

• Originally posted by omi300 View Post
    i have 88%, the only left is the final offer. does anybody know how much it take to give me the final offer call
    congrats! what announcement are you?

Comment

• omi300
      omi300 commented
      Editing a comment
      i think is 17-4 i'm waiting since 2017, in some point my process get stuck but this year is very fast

• Receive the calla yesterday and only offer me laredo south i ask for another options but they said right now doesnt have more options, they call me today and i accept the offer of laredo south

Comment

• sarah_rod25
      sarah_rod25 commented
      Editing a comment
      congratulations. even if it wasn't where you wanted maybe sometime down the road you could transfer?

• Anthony_525
      Anthony_525 commented
      Editing a comment
      Congrats! That’s awesome. Can’t wait to get to this point.

• battlewagon
      battlewagon commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you only put south Texas and current live in the Valley?

• omi300
      omi300 commented
      Editing a comment
      In that moments it was available south Texas, but i'm okay with laredo south.

• I have my poly coming up and I’ve been thinking through my past. I have a incident (not disqualingfying) that should have been on my e-quip but as it happened several years ago I forgot to do so. Should I disclose before my examine takes place during the pre-questions? Will they just straight up DQ me because I didn’t put it down? If I could edit the e-quip I would but now I feel like I’m going to be labeled a liar before even taking the poly..
    Last edited by $hrapnel; 03-11-2019, 09:26 PM.

Comment

• Thriller
      Thriller commented
      Editing a comment
      From my experience with other agencies, you’ll have a chance when you sit down with polygrapher to disclose new information and/or make changes to your eQIP before they administer the polygraph. So you’re good.

• Hey guys, Just got my NORs for 19-5 BPA (90). Im 50% done with my process for CBPO GS-7 in Nogales and Highgate. I heard the progress in CASS carries over for BPA but was wondering if anyone knew for sure. Also what are the chances of choosing the Northern border if I got the call for BPA and getting it? (I understand slim to none but has anyone been given the north?)

Comment

• Originally posted by Oram3189 View Post
      Hey guys, Just got my NORs for 19-5 BPA (90). Im 50% done with my process for CBPO GS-7 in Nogales and Highgate. I heard the progress in CASS carries over for BPA but was wondering if anyone knew for sure. Also what are the chances of choosing the Northern border if I got the call for BPA and getting it? (I understand slim to none but has anyone been given the north?)
      The PFT1 is different and so is the exam

from what I have gathered-zero chance

Comment

• Originally posted by Anthony_525 View Post

The PFT1 is different and so is the exam

from what I have gathered-zero chance
        PFT1 for BPA and CBPO are the same.

https://www.cbp.gov/careers/car/bpa-pft-1

https://www.cbp.gov/careers/car/cbpo-pft-1

Comment

• Originally posted by Oram3189 View Post

If you look at the links you posted you will see that they are not the same. Step test for BP is 14” and CBPO Is 12”. BP is 20 push-ups while CBPO is 12

Comment

• I was told that if you failed the structured interview (i passed) you start right back at that spot if you apply again within 6 months. Does this also work with the pft-1? I or any other part of the testing process? I am just curious.

Comment

• NGUChris
              NGUChris commented
              Editing a comment
              Congrats on passing the SI! What was it like? Just one on one and going over your background/e-qip? I have mine Thursday

• Talonderiel
              Talonderiel commented
              Editing a comment
              NGUChris,

No one can really tell you much about the SI as we all sign an Non-Disclosure Act at the beginning of it... But breathe easy, it's nothing to get worked up over. It's just a standardized interview, compared to what I used to run when hiring people for Blockbuster.

And generally, you will have a panel at SI. If you have ever done a board with the military or a hiring board with a local PD/SO, then it's very similar. You got this!

• Radio Raheem
              Radio Raheem commented
              Editing a comment
              Whoa! Blockbuster?! Haven't heard that in a while.

• sarah_rod25
              sarah_rod25 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey sorry I didn’t get back soon enough. I don’t get I. Here everyday. How did your SI go?

• Originally posted by Anthony_525 View Post

If you look at the links you posted you will see that they are not the same. Step test for BP is 14” and CBPO Is 12”. BP is 20 push-ups while CBPO is 12
            Ah ok I see, I've read some cpbo applicants claiming it crosses over but I'm not sure.

Comment

• Talonderiel
              Talonderiel commented
              Editing a comment
              I applied for both programs... When I did the PFT1, they just did the 14" step and I did the higher numbers for BPA. All carried over for me.

• Any other 19-4’s in here?

Comment

• Medic1123
              Medic1123 commented
              Editing a comment
              Am also 19-4, waiting to do the poly. It’s been going pretty fast hopefully stays that way.

• Anthony_525
              Anthony_525 commented
              Editing a comment
              My EQIP still hasn’t been released, and still no SI

• Medic1123
              Medic1123 commented
              Editing a comment
              I did the SI a week ago and passed, my background hasn’t clear yet , am guessing they are waiting for poly and drug test to clear

• sarah_rod25
              sarah_rod25 commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm 19-3 but it seems like I am on the same step as all of you 19-4's

• Took the poly. I have to go back again for re-testing. Anyone else have to do this?

Comment

• Anthony_525
              Anthony_525 commented
              Editing a comment
              Many people.

• sarah_rod25
              sarah_rod25 commented
              Editing a comment
              When did you apply? I’m curious if it’s going to be awhile for me to get sent to the poly or not

• Does anybody know why I can’t see my status on CASS, I logged in but doesn’t show anything

Comment

• YOUNG718
              YOUNG718 commented
              Editing a comment
              Unless you were given a "thanks but no thanks" letter, it's usually a glitch.

• Medic1123
              Medic1123 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks , yes I haven’t got that

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9853 users online. 470 members and 9383 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X