Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Newbie to USAJ and LE hiring here) Currently on USAJ, Direct Hire for BP is at 18-6; any estimates/personal ideas at this point as to when will be the last opening, in accordance with all the new hires the potus is looking for?

Just out of curiosity, after that, will there always be openings like this for BP since attrition seems to typically be high, or has there historically been long periods of no hirings?

Comment

• Stay Frosty
      Stay Frosty commented
      Editing a comment
      What about the polygraph that has a high failure rate. Any updates on this ?
      Last edited by Stay Frosty; 03-29-2018, 01:33 PM.

• 5005SinkSwim
      5005SinkSwim commented
      Editing a comment
      Could you please clarify?

• So I’ve been browsing the Delphi forums,and it seems like a lot of people’s processes are going quicker then before. Any reason for this? Geographic Location,etc..?

Comment

• Originally posted by 5005SinkSwim View Post
    (Newbie to USAJ and LE hiring here) Currently on USAJ, Direct Hire for BP is at 18-6; any estimates/personal ideas at this point as to when will be the last opening, in accordance with all the new hires the potus is looking for?

Just out of curiosity, after that, will there always be openings like this for BP since attrition seems to typically be high, or has there historically been long periods of no hirings?
    It will be a while before BP isn't hiring. Even if things slowed down from pretty much continuous announcements back to back, I highly doubt there will ever be a time where BP doesn't have at least multiple announcements a year. When you have an agency with 20,000 agents, you are almost always going to be hiring due to simple attrition (as opposed to mass exodus), with people retiring, moving to other agencies, etc.

As far as your post sub-comment:

When I left my assignment working with DC HQ people last summer, the BP poly was going better, down from the 79.8% failure and declination rate that was plaguing hiring for a while. Was down under 50% during the pilot poly they were rolling out. Im not in that sphere anymore so I don't know the current situation and exact numbers right now, sorry

"So I’ve been browsing the Delphi forums,and it seems like a lot of people’s processes are going quicker then before. Any reason for this? Geographic Location,etc..?"

when I was on the above mentioned assignment, I had the chance to work with CBP executive assistant commissioner Jacksta who was tasked with fixing BP's hiring and retention issues. One thing her team successfully implemented was the massive reduction of hiring time for new border patrol agents it went down from something like 469 days on average to something close to 200, like 189. In the likely case those numbers are wrong, the point is hiring went from 1.5-2 years, to half a year. The big variance in hiring is almost always going to fall on background checks. If you were in the military or for whatever reason relocated a bunch and or had a bunch of different jobs, that will add some time to your background compared to someone who has lived in their Hometown their whole life and held two or three long term jobs.

Proof is in the pudding. I've had family and many friends apply in the last few years after I recommended the job, and most went through fast. My brother was on track to be hired in about 7 months, but accepted another offer.

My BP classmate who did BP Recruitment as his full time detail said the timeframe they are telling people now is 5-11 months to be hired.
    UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
    "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• battlewagon
      battlewagon commented
      Editing a comment
      No doubt. I was 2+ years. Quickest guy in my class was 1.5, and he was mil Intel with a TS. The majority of my class was 2+ years like me.

Good thing the BP has fixed it. Lots of guys were taking other offers from other agencies that came first, and you can't blame them.

• Dyno93
      Dyno93 commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you think they will start implementing the pilot polygraph based on its findings?

• Indians56
      Indians56 commented
      Editing a comment
      Is this new "pilot program" significantly different than the previous one?

• battlewagon
      battlewagon commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry boys out of the loop with that stuff now. All i know is initial results were poly failures dropped to 40something percent during the pilot, which is a lot closer to 'industry standard' than the old fail rate. So hopefully it will be put into effect.

• i`m finally cleared medically, i needed additional medical stuff for my VA disability which i submitted in its entirety on 12/28 so if anyone is curious it took about 3 months to be cleared, i`m just waiting for them to schedule my poly now (passed the interview on 12/5)
    officially sworn into the Us Marine Corps, going in with an 03 contract leave for bootcamp on January 9th

Comment

• Is anyone aware of whether Border Patrol will have any openings on the US-Canada border for new agents?

Comment

• zdp1989
        zdp1989 commented
        Editing a comment
        From what I was told it is a hard to get post that only the most senior guys get.

• battlewagon
        battlewagon commented
        Editing a comment
        There are no plans to make the NB available to new hires that I've heard of. Only happened once since the CBP era.

• DiverB72
        DiverB72 commented
        Editing a comment
        It won't happen again, it shouldn't have happened in the first place. I was a norther border agent (paid my dues down south) and when we got the northern border "interns", they were pretty much useless. The didn't know how to process, couldn't speak Spanish, and actually had the gull to complain about not getting weekends off or having to share rides. We also had two get popped for DUI in the first year as well as other problems. In all fairness most of the guys we got were nice guys and wanted to learn the job, but the real PA work is down south, not up north. Northern border is a different style of work. In my opinion the patrol did a dis-service to the NB interns as well as the patrol, because they are not well rounded agents with the experience you gain down south. Example, one of our NB interns was excited he finally got to arrest an alien, mind you it was a OA call from the sheriffs office. He had 9 months on the job without catching someone. Down south I'd wager he would have caught someone within his first few days out of the academy. Another thing also that didn't sit well with some of the senior guys was most of the new NB guys were hired from the local area, and since they are home, would never be willing to go on details or career advancing assignments since they were already at the location they would likely just retire from. Ok getting off my soapbox now

• battlewagon
        battlewagon commented
        Editing a comment
        Well said sir. Plus it is a disservice to the agents who are stuck in places like Ajo or Presido who want to go north. And like you said, those guys don't know how to do a lot of aspects of the job. It is the same concept as sending new hires to inland stations like Corpus Christi or Cotulla. Not only are they not gaining the valuable experience needed to make a well rounded agent, new hires going there gives the shaft to PAs who did their time on the border and would cut an arm off to get to those stations.

• My goal is St Mary Montana at some point in my career. That'll be where I plant my *** till I retire after 15 or so years down south.

Comment

• FederalHopeful
        FederalHopeful commented
        Editing a comment
        Lived in Montana for 10 years and I vowed to go back. Snow is no problem

• Mf821
        Mf821 commented
        Editing a comment
        Just making sure, we have a lot of people that try coming here and don't realize what winter is like

• FederalHopeful
        FederalHopeful commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you in Havre or Saint Mary? I heard this season’s winter was excellent. I just chose Chula Vista for my first duty station, so it’s sunshine and palm trees for now.

• 5005SinkSwim
        5005SinkSwim commented
        Editing a comment
        How common/rare is the San Diego sector for new applicants? Is there high attrition here, and how often do intel detail openings come around relative to other sectors?

• finally going to schedule the dreaded poly
      officially sworn into the Us Marine Corps, going in with an 03 contract leave for bootcamp on January 9th

Comment

• Stay Frosty
        Stay Frosty commented
        Editing a comment
        Let us know how it goes and good luck.

• hexen220
        hexen220 commented
        Editing a comment
        its on 5/21 im a bit nervous only because i've hear soo many horror stories

• Stay Frosty
        Stay Frosty commented
        Editing a comment
        That's why i'm 50/50 with going through the process. Great opportunity but, this poly with a high failure rate is no bueno.
        Last edited by Stay Frosty; 04-12-2018, 08:08 PM.

• hexen220
        hexen220 commented
        Editing a comment
        i've done polygraphs and they really aren't that bad but the failure rate for this one just terrifies me

• Anyone know how the relocation process works for Border Patrol? I'm guessing that most people have to relocate for the job and was wondering how this process works. Does the government pay for the move or is this something that the applicant pays for? I am currently living in Georgia and I am in the hiring process now. I choose the West Texas-New Mexico Corridor. any information would be helpful.

Comment

• Sheridan1
        Sheridan1 commented
        Editing a comment
        No, they do not pay for relocation expenses

• DiverB72
        DiverB72 commented
        Editing a comment
        It's on your own dime. Even after being with the BP for 14 years, I jumped over to another CBP agency, and that move was out of my own pocket as well. There are paid moves, but they are few and far between and you have be careful because it's taxable and considered income.

• Hi everyone.
      in the process for the november class. Man its going by fast. I just turned in my med records from the Army and did the QIP. The next day they said I could send in PT test from the Army no later then 12 Months old. Do they want the PT form or their form signed by a supervisor in my past unit ? Anyone know?
      Also , I applied from el paso and was told I have to work 120 miles from where I apply even though i am not from here. Sucks because I have a house here and the family loves it. What is the closest station I could try for out of El Paso.
      I am also really nervous about their Poly. I tried for the local PD , told the truth about everything , and failed. Was a bummer. No second chances , just see you next year. So really nervous about a Fed poly.
      Other than that I wish everyone the best luck. My transition from Army live is starting out to a rough start but I always have plan C and D. I just really dont want to drive trucks or work in the oil fields . Thank you all for your time.

Comment

• FederalHopeful
        FederalHopeful commented
        Editing a comment
        VRA is exempt from the 100 mile rule

• Hello all,
      new to this forum and BPA hopeful. I'm looking for some help from people who may have gone through the process already, or currently going through it. I applied to the 18-2 GL-9 announcement. I've successfully completed the eqip forms, physical, fitness test, and structured interview. My structured interview was 7 weeks ago now and I still have yet to be called for my poly or any background check. Was curious if anyone knew the average time it took for that part of the process to kick off. My co worker who also is applying for the same position but through the veteran announcement had his interview and poly the same day and is already in the middle of his background investigation. Should I be worried? Or is it different just because we applied through different announcements (gl-9 vs veteran) thanks all!

Comment

• hexen220
        hexen220 commented
        Editing a comment
        be prepared to wait. i did my interview at the beginning of December and i didn't get called for the polygraph until sometime this month

• If you applied in nypd and got a nopd but you deicded to withdraw your application. Would that affect your hiring process in cbpo? I mean the investigation part. And also if you have collections debts would that be an issue while hiring process?.thabks

Comment

• Hey guys, looking at the best time to apply. Currently in my last year of school, expected graduation date of June 2019. What would you suggest as the best time to apply? Thanks for any help.

Comment

• How strict are they on the color vision portion of the medical exam?

Comment

• I'm currently in the Air Force Reserves and I was wondering if anybody has any info on what its like for a reservist trying to get in.

Comment

• battlewagon
              battlewagon commented
              Editing a comment
              No different than anyone else. What worries do you have about your reserve duty with the application or training?

• BP (Actually CBP as a whole) is very military friendly and it's a seemless process for going on military orders and doing your drill weekends.

Comment

• Dman1989
              Dman1989 commented
              Editing a comment
              Well that's good to hear. I guess my only concern then would be to see if my unit will allow me to go to the academy. Would BP allow me to pick a station somewhat close to where my base is located? Or is it still the needs of the agency? I'm stationed at March ARB in California so I guess San Diego would be closest.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6605 users online. 293 members and 6312 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X