Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok guys, I am currently in the 18-2 announcement process. I have to say that it's been flying by. Took written test on 12/28/17. Got tentative offer, turned in E-QIP, did medical, have my PFT-1 tomorrow. If all goes well, I'm slotted for a June/July 2018 academy date. Question for who ever can give me an honest, accurate answer. I have had a TS clearance (with DOE), so my E-QIP info was already in the website. Now, the only thing that really changed is, I was laid off from DOE in 2012, and in 2014 I filed for bankruptcy. Went from making 120k to 50k (initially). Will this have any impact on my background...? Also, I have already done a National Security Polygraph (DOE), will I have to take another. Don't care if I do, just wondering. Thanks in advance. Also, congrats to everyone that is moving forward as well!!

Comment

• So I’m waiting for my BI to clear for CBP Officer and was thinking about applying for border patrol. I was looking at Brownsville tx as a possible selection and noticed that a lot of the homes are very nice and large but not ridiculously expensive. This doesn’t look right to me. What’s the catch??
      17-7 Announcement GS-5

4/10/17 - Applied
      5/10/17 - Exam
      5/19/17 - Exam NOR
      5/31/17 - Selection Letter - Jackman, Maine
      6/01/17 - eQIP packet submitted
      7/05/17 - Medical Exam
      7/05/17 - eQIP rejected - resubmitted same day
      7/26/17 - PFT 1
      8/02/17 - eQIP released to OPR
      8/25/17 - SI
      8/26/17 - SI NOR
      11/29/17 - Polygraph
      12/06/17 - Polygraph NOR
      12/21/17 - BI Interview
      2/28/18 - Background Cleared

3/14/18 - Drug Test
      3/22/18 - Referred to TSU
      5/23/18 - The Call

Comment

• Double post
        17-7 Announcement GS-5

4/10/17 - Applied
        5/10/17 - Exam
        5/19/17 - Exam NOR
        5/31/17 - Selection Letter - Jackman, Maine
        6/01/17 - eQIP packet submitted
        7/05/17 - Medical Exam
        7/05/17 - eQIP rejected - resubmitted same day
        7/26/17 - PFT 1
        8/02/17 - eQIP released to OPR
        8/25/17 - SI
        8/26/17 - SI NOR
        11/29/17 - Polygraph
        12/06/17 - Polygraph NOR
        12/21/17 - BI Interview
        2/28/18 - Background Cleared

3/14/18 - Drug Test
        3/22/18 - Referred to TSU
        5/23/18 - The Call

Comment

• Originally posted by FTO Sammich View Post
          So I’m waiting for my BI to clear for CBP Officer and was thinking about applying for border patrol. I was looking at Brownsville tx as a possible selection and noticed that a lot of the homes are very nice and large but not ridiculously expensive. This doesn’t look right to me. What’s the catch??
          South Texas, specifically the Rio Grande Valley, is constantly number one for the lowest cost of living for any metropolitan statistical area in the country. More specifically, the McAllen MSA and Brownsville MSA are almost both in the the top 3 or 5.

South TX is probably the best area to get hired to for new hires. Relatively normal towns for border towns, low cost of living, busiest sector in the country for work,, etc. Though Brownsville doesnt take as many new hires as say McAllen, Rio Grande City, Falfurrias, and others. So if your heart is set on Brownsville, you may be disappointed.
          UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
          "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• FTO Sammich
            FTO Sammich commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. Just trying to get as much info as possible. I’m not set on anything, I just don’t want to get stuck in a crappy place. South Texas doesn’t look as bad as I imagined it I guess.

• battlewagon
            battlewagon commented
            Editing a comment
            If you choose South Texas on your application, it unfortunately includes Laredo sector stations like the Laredo checkpoints, Hebronville checkpoint, etc. But anything from RGC to Brownsville/Fort Brown in the Valley are good to go.

• Which station is the best out of all of these?

Falfurriaf

Cotulla

Zapata

Hebbronville

Loreado nsw

Carrizo springs

Eagle pass ns

Alpine

Marfa

Presidio

Sanderson

Lordsburg

Demming nm

Comment

• battlewagon
            battlewagon commented
            Editing a comment
            Is this what they offered you? Chinnggggg no wonder senior agents leave the patrol. Cotulla is the best station, at least for location. Sort of boring, but close to San Antonio. I know agents with 10 years in that would give up a child to go there, just like when they hire trainees to Corpus Christi.

Good luck, congrats if you got an offer!

• BPRIO
            BPRIO commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, they offered all these with Cotulla included?

• Has the Poly gotten any better in the hiring process ?

Comment

• FNG41YR
            FNG41YR commented
            Editing a comment
            Nope. It is still bs

• Stay Frosty
            Stay Frosty commented
            Editing a comment
            Is it still a big fail rate ?

• If I’m in nyc do I start the process here or elsewhere? How long is the process typically? From submitting to the next step

Comment

• I’m new here, and seriously considering applying to either this or the immediate next opportunity.

But first, had some questions on my mind I was hoping to get some responses to...
            - How dangerous is the job on the SB? Or, how often do your fellow agents get injured in confrontations? How often do confrontations occur where they retaliate (armed or unarmed)?
            - If it’s as dangerous as it seems to be from what I have found, why are BPAs out alone for so often?
            - Are most BPAs physically large? As a naturally slimmer guy, wondering if I’m in for a bad time.

I appreciate all responses.

Comment

• OCN_1
              OCN_1 commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m here at FLETC now with another agency. I can reassure you that there are all types of people here in the academy... I’ve seen 5’3 guys, girls who are even smaller, massive recruits, etc. There is no standard physical stature for their recruits. I was with BP up until a week before I arrived here, I’m only 5’8 150lbs. Some of the smallest recruits can kick the most ***

• battlewagon
              battlewagon commented
              Editing a comment
              I had two male classmates 5 foot flat, 100lbs. Same for females. Supposedly the most assualted fed agency right now, but to answer your question depends on station. Some stations ride partnered up almost always, whereas my station, one of the top 3 in station for drugs and top 3 for aliens, ALWAYS rode solo. Never once had a partner. Not uncommon to be on foot with backup 20+ minutes away. Just the nature of business.

• I've worked corrections before so I know what it's like working overtime and often unplanned overtime shifts, but can anyone comment on the work/family balance being a BP agent? Is there a minimum requirement for overtime per week that must be worked? ( Obviously if you're chasing a group of aliens through a desert at night, then there's that)

Comment

• Originally posted by BG12345 View Post
              I've worked corrections before so I know what it's like working overtime and often unplanned overtime shifts, but can anyone comment on the work/family balance being a BP agent? Is there a minimum requirement for overtime per week that must be worked? ( Obviously if you're chasing a group of aliens through a desert at night, then there's that)
              BPAs are overtime exempt. Most guys work 5 x 10 hour shifts. If you go over the ten hours, which is hard because supervisors are supposed to be limiting it, you get comp time which is the same as vacation time. Only time there is overtime is if it is scheduled in advance for an operation or surge or something like that.

So it is pretty easy to be balanced with work since you know your hours in advance. When you're new you'll probably get crappy days off, like Wednesday/Thursday. May get your second or last choice for what shift you want. By the time I had three years in I was getting what I wanted, mainly because we had a big station so there was always someone who preferred to work the shift you didn't want so you could swap. After I got off my probation and was allowed to swap, I never worked a midnight shift again. Expect to work holidays, but then again when I was new I was getting holidays off because guys wanted the double pay. I always gave my holiday off up to someone with a family so they could enjoy it and so I could make bank.

Point is it isn't hard to have a balanced life.

honor first

Comment

• BG12345
                BG12345 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you for that insight! So it seems like overtime isn't as rampant with BPA than it is CBP?

• battlewagon
                battlewagon commented
                Editing a comment
                No. Passport stampers get double time for their OT, and on many southwest border ports and busy ones up north, OT is mandatory and sucks. An hour before you get off, "hey you have to work another 8" and just like that, youre working a 16. The money (which is quite a lot) they get isnt worth it though, trust me.

In the sector I was in, OT was almost guaranteed to be available the last quarter of the year for 'surge' operations. You can opt to work a sixth and seventh day if you want. But even then, our OT is far from time and a half. For example, as a journeyman 12 step 1, our hourly rate is 34 an hour, and the OT rate is 40 an hour (2017 numbers). So the OT is hardly OT, it is simply more days on your paycheck.

• Taking my written test tomorrow,any tips or suggestions?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dyno93 View Post
                Taking my written test tomorrow,any tips or suggestions?
                Did you study the study material they sent? Beyond that, just a standard test.

honor first

Comment

• Dyno93
                  Dyno93 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Been looking over it everyday so hopefully I have nothing to worry about!

• battlewagon
                  battlewagon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The material in the study guide is spot on for the test. If you feel okay about the study material, youre good to go

• http://m.govexec.com/management/2018...agents/146978/

"But Congress did not authorize any new hires at Border Patrol, and instead provided $7 million for 351 customs officers at ports of entry."

Isit safe to say that all these applicants going through the process won't even have a position allocated to them?

Comment

• battlewagon
                  battlewagon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  New hires in terms of the 5000 more Trump wanted specifically. The agency is still 1900ish short of our congressionally mandated staffing level.

It will be a long time before the BP doesn't have slots for new applicants.

• What's the work life balance like? And promotion potential. I am currently in another federal law enforcement job but we get days off canceled as well as in the realm of 16-28 hours forced OT most times. I know there is a plethora of info here but I don't have as much time as I would like to delve into it. Thanks everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rascon3Romeo View Post
                  What's the work life balance like? And promotion potential. I am currently in another federal law enforcement job but we get days off canceled as well as in the realm of 16-28 hours forced OT most times. I know there is a plethora of info here but I don't have as much time as I would like to delve into it. Thanks everyone.
                  Most people leave UD for the reasons you mentioned above. The people who leave BP usually do so for better locations. So each has its big 'negative'. But then again, many BP locations are normal places to live. I was in South Texas and lived in as normal of a city as a border town can be. Large, plenty of nightlife, everything needed, work for family members, etc.

BP does not cancel days off, and your hours are set unless you catch a case at the end of shift, but even then supervisors are tasked with reducing comp time, so it doesnt happen that often. Shift work just like you have now. You can select your shift preference, and days off are usually based on seniority.

BP is a great career to transition into an 1811 gig if that is your thing, but also a great place to spend 20 years riding dirtbikes, atvs, horses, helicopters, doing public affairs, prosecutions, task forces, etc.

honor first

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5323 users online. 242 members and 5081 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X