Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Border Patrol Agent

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone currently in Artesia?

    I'm hearing conflicting information about having our cars with us during training. Are we allowed to drive ourselves to training, or do we get bussed in?

    Also, any tips on what to pack would be helpful.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by FederalHopeful View Post
      Anyone currently in Artesia?

      I'm hearing conflicting information about having our cars with us during training. Are we allowed to drive ourselves to training, or do we get bussed in?

      Also, any tips on what to pack would be helpful.
      You can not drive to Artesia. You will enter on duty at your sector. Then the agency will fly you to Artesia. But you can have a car there; some guys flew home and got theirs and drove back, I bought a car when I was there.
      UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
      "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"


      honor first

      Comment


      • i am currently waiting to be scheduled for my polygraph and still have to get a drug test and be cleared from backgrounds when would u guys say that its safe for one going through the process to feel at ease ?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by battlewagon View Post

          You can not drive to Artesia. You will enter on duty at your sector. Then the agency will fly you to Artesia. But you can have a car there; some guys flew home and got theirs and drove back, I bought a car when I was there.
          so I can leave on a weekend to go get my vehicle? If not, would I be able to park it at my station? I’m planning to not get a house until after training

          Comment


          • battlewagon
            battlewagon commented
            Editing a comment
            You can likely park it at sector HQ if you go get it immediately; they likely wouldnt notice one car there parked for a week. But if it is going to be weeks or months, I would not. You will be reporting to sector HQ, not your assigned station.

        • I applied under the 17-8 direct hire notice and applied for the Arizona region, I'm in the background phase and hopefully receive a call after all is done, that being said, can anyone shed some light on if I would only be offered regions in Arizona, or could other areas such as Texas also be offered as well? I know it's a case by case basis but I'm just trying to research some desirable stations.

          Comment


          • battlewagon
            battlewagon commented
            Editing a comment
            The way the announcements were set up, at least last year, was that you could only receive stations in the regions you selected. I believe this is more OPM regulations than the agency. When HSI called me, things had changed in my life and i wanted to go to different regions and offices than what I selected, but they had to abide by the specific regions i selected. As opposed to hiring announcements that say 'Nationwide' and dont specify.

        • .....................................
          Last edited by Fullblown; 01-18-2018, 11:25 PM.

          Comment


          • Yes there is. I had a classmate who was a weak swimmer who made it thru, be he also took swim lessons prior to the academy. I would recommend taking swimming lessons, that way your more comfortable in the water.

            Comment


            • What if someone just can't swim? lol. Do they actually try to teach them?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Fullblown View Post
                Does anybody have any new information on whether there is a swimming qualification in the Border Patrol Academy? I'm interested in applying for the Border Patrol but can't swim. Thanks.
                I had multiple classmates who could not in any shape or form swim. Not sure how that is possible, but they had them in the shallow end while we were in the deep end doing our thing. But judging by the panic in their eyes, I would have rather volunteered to carry the brick underwater for another length of the pool than go through the terror in their eyes in the 4 foot section.

                I dont think it was a pass fail section, but do you really want to join the BP and truly not know how to swim? There were plenty of times that I was neck or chest deep in a body of water or the river on Patrol. So regardless of whether or not you need it for the academy, you really should be paying someone or getting with a friend to learn how to. It would be necessary to potentially save your own life on duty, or off duty. I've seen more than one instance where a BP vehicle ended up in the river with an Agent inside, so it is a reality. Would be a pretty lame way to end up on a silent partner card, drowning in 10 feet of water 10 yards from the river bank.

                Not to go on a rant about it, but I would learn how to at least do basic doggy paddle before heading the academy and the field.
                UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"


                honor first

                Comment


                • Originally posted by battlewagon View Post

                  I had multiple classmates who could not in any shape or form swim. Not sure how that is possible, but they had them in the shallow end while we were in the deep end doing our thing. But judging by the panic in their eyes, I would have rather volunteered to carry the brick underwater for another length of the pool than go through the terror in their eyes in the 4 foot section.

                  I dont think it was a pass fail section, but do you really want to join the BP and truly not know how to swim? There were plenty of times that I was neck or chest deep in a body of water or the river on Patrol. So regardless of whether or not you need it for the academy, you really should be paying someone or getting with a friend to learn how to. It would be necessary to potentially save your own life on duty, or off duty. I've seen more than one instance where a BP vehicle ended up in the river with an Agent inside, so it is a reality. Would be a pretty lame way to end up on a silent partner card, drowning in 10 feet of water 10 yards from the river bank.

                  Not to go on a rant about it, but I would learn how to at least do basic doggy paddle before heading the academy and the field.
                  I'd love to see a 250-500m surface swim with a 25m underwater swim added to the fitness test. Conditioning in the pool can really rattle even the most stout individuals. I'd have a lot more confidence in my teammates if they keep their cool while getting thrashed around in the deep end.

                  Comment


                  • .............................................
                    Last edited by Fullblown; 01-18-2018, 11:25 PM.

                    Comment


                    • FederalHopeful
                      FederalHopeful commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Learn to tread water and swim efficiently. Don't worry about being disqualified. Prepare yourself to survive in the field, not just pass training.

                      And if they let the people who can't swim wear lifejackets, that makes it obvious that they let everyone pass the pool training.

                    • battlewagon
                      battlewagon commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I answered it in my original response. It is not a pass fail exercise. It is training, and not a tested event that can result in your removal from training

                  • how long does it take for them to review the additional medical information after you complete your medical. because of my VA disability stuff they wanted more medical information
                    officially sworn into the Us Marine Corps, going in with an 03 contract leave for bootcamp on January 9th

                    Comment


                    • FederalHopeful
                      FederalHopeful commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I didn’t claim va disability but it took them over 2 months to clear me

                  • 17-9 applicant. Drug screening changed to green today, process now showing 67% complete, with only my background investigation remaining. Meeting with the BI today for the last time, so hopefully there is an end in sight in the near future.

                    Comment


                    • of course when i submitted all my follow up medical paperwork the only forms they told me not to submit and now out of date
                      officially sworn into the Us Marine Corps, going in with an 03 contract leave for bootcamp on January 9th

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by hexen220 View Post
                        of course when i submitted all my follow up medical paperwork the only forms they told me not to submit and now out of date
                        Anyone happen to know how to get a copy of your actual VA compensation exam?
                        officially sworn into the Us Marine Corps, going in with an 03 contract leave for bootcamp on January 9th

                        Comment

                        MR300x250 Tablet

                        Collapse

                        What's Going On

                        Collapse

                        There are currently 4151 users online. 271 members and 3880 guests.

                        Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                        Welcome Ad

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X