300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RLB4104 View Post

I'm 101% certain that's not true. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
    May or may not be some truth in it. We had a guy who graduated the academy on a provisional clearance. Came back to the station and was on 'light duty' plain clothes doing office work since he didnt have a cleared background, and therefore no creds, no gun, etc. Happens usually for a few weeks or a month or two. But this guy was in this status for what seemed liked half a year. Was on the phone daily with the secret service. He was in both hiring processes at one point, and when he took the USBP job with a provisional clearance, USSS had some sort of hold or 'on-going' mark on his background investigation, and that is why CBP was having trouble clearing his background.

He eventually got it squared away with USSS and got cleared, but has since left us for FBI. The FBI doing a BI may have played a role in this situation as well. Smart kid though, too smart for BP.

But quien sabes.@niftytim, you need to call CBP OPR or OPM or whoever is doing your BP background and ask them directly.
    UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
    "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• Giving an update.. I applied to the D.C. Hiring Hub for the GL-9. This process is flying timeline as follows

8-5-17 I applied
      8-11-17 announcement closed
      8-15-17 Completed Drug Screening (passed)
      8-16-17 Provisional Clearance sent to case manager
      8-20-17 EQIP sent to HR
      8-24-17 Medical screening (passed)
      8-24-17 PFT1 (passed)
      8-25-17 SI (passed)
      8-25-17 Fingerprinted
      8-29-17 Poly

Comment

• rassi1288
        rassi1288 commented
        Editing a comment
        did you not have to take the written test?

nevermind- i see that GL9 does not take the test.... i applied to the recent one that closes september 7
        Last edited by rassi1288; 08-28-2017, 10:25 AM.

• Is BPA worth it over local PD or Corrections in NYC (Pay, Benefits, Retiremnt, Assignments, Job Satisfation) ?
      Last edited by Stay Frosty; 09-07-2017, 07:31 PM.

Comment

• BPRIO
        BPRIO commented
        Editing a comment
        For me yes. I'm not doing corrections, screw that, no matter the pay. Our pay is still higher than most local, your base pay will be over 90k in 4 years. You'll be making over 100k by the time they throw nights, Sunday, holiday, and whenever OT is available. Benefits still as good as local. The retirement is probably the only thing I would complain about.

The work is all in the person. I enjoy being outside, even in hot weather. I could do traffic stops, respond to any calls such as: sensor, cameras, etc. When I get bored I'll just walk the trails and cut around, maybe I can get lucky.

• Originally posted by Stay Frosty View Post
      Is BPA worth it over local PD or Corrections in NYC (Pay, Benefits, Retiremnt, Assignments, Job Satisfation) ?
      That is a question no one will be able to answer for you. Even if someone worked for all three types of agencies, they might have different variables. As far as my opinion, I dont know how anyone could want to work corrections anywhere, even if they paid you 200K a year. I think it is worth it over any local job, but that is just my opinion.

What are the numbers for the NY LE retirement system
      Last edited by battlewagon; 09-07-2017, 08:04 PM.

honor first

Comment

• Stay Frosty
        Stay Frosty commented
        Editing a comment
        NYC LE retirement for Correction is 50% @221/2 yrs. Top pay @ 51/2 yrs is about 96k.

• With the new direct hire postings, how likely is it to get a duty station in cali? Has anyone had any luck? I would really like to get to San Diego.

Comment

• Originally posted by cmor5150 View Post
        With the new direct hire postings, how likely is it to get a duty station in cali? Has anyone had any luck? I would really like to get to San Diego.
        Not very likely.

Comment

• With the new direct hire postings, will we be hired faster ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stay Frosty View Post
            With the new direct hire postings, will we be hired faster ?
            It is all relative. Faster then when I came in when everyone in my class took 1.5-2.5 years? Absolutely. Average hire time is around 9 months from what I have been told nowadays which was the time frame my brother was on. So you can bet on less than year if you have no background issues or an uncomplicated background (havent lived all over, etc)

And there is about a 0.01% chance of getting SD.

honor first

Comment

• Does anyone actually fail the PFT1? I couldn't believe they stopped me at the bare minimum.

Comment

• battlewagon
                battlewagon commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, people do. But no one fails the PFT2 now, as it is participation. The PFT2 had about a 50% fail rate when we would administer it at my location. The very last step to getting hired, and 50% failure lol.

• Thanks for the insight. You don't have to be a gym rat for these jobs, but you certainly cant be obese either. Regardless if it is required or if it is participatory, you're GONNA RUN at the academy. Any academy. Just a bit shocked to hear those numbers.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhody401 View Post
                Thanks for the insight. You don't have to be a gym rat for these jobs, but you certainly cant be obese either. Regardless if it is required or if it is participatory, you're GONNA RUN at the academy. Any academy. Just a bit shocked to hear those numbers.
                Our PT is no joke. Really fit guys come in and say it isnt hard, but it is just a lot of it. And Artesia is pretty high elevation, and still a desert, so the oxygen is thin and when it is hot, it is 100+, and when it is cold, it is 30. You will still PT regardless of the weather, so long as it isnt black flag conditions. And it is every day. All anyone needs to be doing is crossfit sort of stuff, and running. You will have many multiple-mile runs. A lots of long body weight sessions; bodybuilders, mountain climbers, duck walks, air squats, core exercises,so on.

honor first

Comment

• anyone else had to go in for a second polygraph test? got called yesterday to go in again. Hoping thats not a bad signm i figure if they wanted to get rid of me they probably wouldnt spend the money testing me again but we shall see.

Comment

• battlewagon
                    battlewagon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Most people go for a second. If your initial was a fail, that would be it with no second test.

• What kind of positions qualify for GL-9 test waiver ?

Comment

• Apologies if this was answered previously in the thread. I have passed a few federal polygraphs and several local ones already and submitted a request for polygraph reciprocity. How often do they grant these?

Comment

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post

Our PT is no joke. Really fit guys come in and say it isnt hard, but it is just a lot of it. And Artesia is pretty high elevation, and still a desert, so the oxygen is thin and when it is hot, it is 100+, and when it is cold, it is 30. You will still PT regardless of the weather, so long as it isnt black flag conditions. And it is every day. All anyone needs to be doing is crossfit sort of stuff, and running. You will have many multiple-mile runs. A lots of long body weight sessions; bodybuilders, mountain climbers, duck walks, air squats, core exercises,so on.
                      How long's the academy? 6 months?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6920 users online. 258 members and 6662 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X