Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just an update:
    17-9 Announcement

Completed written test and submitted BI. Medical scheduled this week.

Comment

• For any current BPA's, I am not familiar with any border areas. Is there any location more desirable than the other? or do you even have a say in where your sent? Will be moving a family if I get the FO.

Comment

• RLB4104
        RLB4104 commented
        Editing a comment
        What corridor did you select when you applied?

• From what I was told by the recruiter in El Paso before my Oral Interview was that most agents right now will go to Lordsburg depending on the region you selected. I have a friend with BP that said its a great place to work if you want to be out in the field, and want action, everything there. Crappy town. Its a two hour drive for me, but worth the pay increase if I come in as a GL9. Just waiting to schedule the Poly. Locations can be different depending on where you apply. but they can send you to any town in the region you selected. check the BP website for cities in the region you apply for and those are your possibilities.Depends on where they need people, ie, all the small towns senior agents don't stay at.

Comment

• battlewagon
        battlewagon commented
        Editing a comment
        Lordsburg is shorthanded but nearly all stations in that region are, so they are needed everywhere. West TX/NM (that hiring region) has manpower issues as a whole. People will certainly go to lordsburg but there are hundreds of vacancies all over that region.

• ive been looking into it. After the academy, what does the 7 and 10 month exam consist of. Is it like your traditional city LEO positions that go off of how well you do per call to call, and basically a recommendation from your FTO, or is it a written test? Just curious I seen some people state they studied and paid for tutoring for the 7 and 10 month test.

Comment

• Originally posted by niftytim View Post
        ive been looking into it. After the academy, what does the 7 and 10 month exam consist of. Is it like your traditional city LEO positions that go off of how well you do per call to call, and basically a recommendation from your FTO, or is it a written test? Just curious I seen some people state they studied and paid for tutoring for the 7 and 10 month test.
        Those don't exist anymore. That's from the 'Old Patrol' days. Now, you cant be fired as a trainee unless you do illegal stuff or something like that. No one is released due to failing evaluations while a trainee at the station. They will extend your FTO, or things like that. There are tests at 'post academy' which you will attend for a few months at your assigned sector once a week that you can be dropped for failing, but I have never heard of anyone failing. They are the most basic of tests

EDIT: I should clarify, you can certainly be dropped for other things, we don't keep people aren't fit for the job on board or who have honesty or liability issues. But the reality is the government isn't going to spend damn near 100K hiring you and paying for training and your salary at training just to drop you because you haven't learned your radio codes or landmarks fast enough on FTO. I had classmates crash and total vehicles on FTO, and they were not removed because the accident wasn't negligent (texting while driving, etc). It is hard to get fired, but at the same time we will gladly clean house if needed. Just a slight edit.
        Last edited by battlewagon; 08-02-2017, 02:37 PM.
        UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
        "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• My god battlewagon. you sir are a wealth of knowledge. i appreciate all the responses across the few topics I have posted in. Thank you very much sir.

Comment

• battlewagon
            battlewagon commented
            Editing a comment
            No problem sir, I try to only post when I am stating facts (not speculating), and have been around the block, so I am happy to share what I know. It sucks going through most federal hiring processes with a lack of info and in a haze, so I do what I can to help since I was not aware of this site when I started my federal career. Good luck in your processes, PM me if you have any sensitive questions, otherwise post in the threads so that others can gain the info as well.

• Hello, I am a 17-6 applicant and I have done my medical but I received my results as further evaluation. It's been one month and I have not received any news does anyone know what that might mean? I have completed my SI and have my poly scheduled but my medical has not been cleared yet, anyone know what that might mean?

Comment

• Would you recommend BPA vs police officer? Ex. benefits, pay, location, assignments, special units, retirement ??

Comment

• zerodruul
              zerodruul commented
              Editing a comment
              If your referring to police officer, I'll tell you if I end up in BP I will surely miss aspects of the streets. It's high speed a lot of times. And I will miss the fellowship with the guys on the streets talking after calls. But, never working for BP I'm looking forward to the move and the future it will provide, specifically specialty units. Retirement is way better on the streets then federal. If I stay as an officer I can retire at 25 years at 90% of my top three year pay. From what I have heard from retired federal workers is its less than half of that I don't know the facts on federal retirement. But it pays a lot better then on the streets if your just a lowly officer like myself.

• Quick questions.. It's only been a week that i applied to both CBPO and BP. I received my NOR today for CBPO qualified for gs9. Honestly more leaning towards BP though. Rather wear green than blue. Now do the steps carry over between the two? I just received my NOR this morning so no steps have been taken, but just curious. Thanks.

Comment

• niftytim
              niftytim commented
              Editing a comment
              Follow up on that.. for some reason my BP NOR stated INS? while my CBPO stated eligible. I've been trying to reach someone over at the hiring center to figure out how I can fix this but haven't had much luck at all...

• Originally posted by niftytim View Post
            Quick questions.. It's only been a week that i applied to both CBPO and BP. I received my NOR today for CBPO qualified for gs9. Honestly more leaning towards BP though. Rather wear green than blue. Now do the steps carry over between the two? I just received my NOR this morning so no steps have been taken, but just curious. Thanks.
            Almost everything will serve for both processes. Your polygraph, drug test, background investigations, all the big time consuming ones carry.
            I highly recommend BP over OFO. I have known dozens of people who left BP for OFO and came back, even if they left undesirable BP locations and got home with OFO.

honor first

Comment

• niftytim
              niftytim commented
              Editing a comment
              Ohh trust me my heart is set on BP. I screwed up on my dang resume and NOR came by as INS lol for BP. I can't apply again until the 20th, but curious if my test i taken a few years back would still be good now if I were to apply for the GL7, i scored a 98 not including vet pref.

• NC_Mtnman
              NC_Mtnman commented
              Editing a comment
              I can vouch for Battlewagon on the ones that leave and come back. Happens all the time and it almost happened to me....but I didn't leave for OFO and am in a good place. If you start in Green then you will always bleed Green.

• There is a GL-9 VRA hiring hub in D.C. August 22nd-25th does anyone have more info on this? Are basically all the steps done during that time period?

Comment

• got my polygraph in two weeks for the 17-6

Comment

• Originally posted by Stay Frosty View Post
                Would you recommend BPA vs police officer? Ex. benefits, pay, location, assignments, special units, retirement ??
                Our calculation isnt that great, it you do 25 years it is 39 percent, but that 39 percent will be based on a salary of something like $125,000. And that's if you never supervisor up. You can make supervisor in five years if you really push yourself, and the base pay for them is like 105 with our extra 25%. Then another 20 years of raises, and youre killing it. If you join at 25, your time required goes down. Minimum is 20 years at any age before 57. So if you join at say 31, you can retire at 51.

Dont worry zerodruul , the camaraderie is superb in the patrol. I always refer to the Border Patrol as the Bro Patrol, because at the end of the day it is a brofest. You and the homies playing hide and go seek, and then parking under the port of entry bridge between groups crossing having a peach swisher sweet circle or cigar or Copenhagen circle. On the slow days, you find some very fun stuff to do with the boys.

As far as versus a PD, I have mad respect for locals because I could never deal with the stuff you guys deal with. A year of not dealing with a domestic, a crack head, noise complaint calls, welfare checks with dead bodies melted into the carpet, and things like that, youll be glad you switched. Plus once you are in, the doors are open. I have turned down a few federal jobs I was offered, and just got picked up by the US Marshals. The hiring was federal only, so locals are out right there, and then I got pushed through quickly because of my federal clearance I hold with the fedgovt. I am on the hiring desk for Criminal Investigator for Homeland Security Investigations but will likely turn the call down since I am headed to a dream location for the USMS. Being current fed is a huge leg up and allows you to change agencies freely all over the country and world and keep your retirement.
                ​​​​​​
                Last edited by battlewagon; 08-06-2017, 12:12 PM.

honor first

Comment

• Battlewagon- I thought that the extra 25% (AUO) was taken from the BP? Was it recently replaced with LEAP? I thought that was the main reason for the recent exodus from the patrol?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nieto2588 View Post
                    Battlewagon- I thought that the extra 25% (AUO) was taken from the BP? Was it recently replaced with LEAP? I thought that was the main reason for the recent exodus from the patrol?
                    Agents all bitch about 'herrrrdur the AUO days' but that isnt where our paycut happened. We went from 25% in AUO (assuming you worked 25% extra) to BPAPRA (border patrol agent pay reform act) which mandates you to work the extra 25%, for 25% extra pay. The difference is you elect no extra (8 hour shifts), 1 extra a day (9 hour shifts for +12.5%) or 2 extra hours a day (10 hour shifts for 25% extra). Where as AUO was a rolling calculation. If you were working less extra hours, you got paid less.

So 25% extra is 25% extra, regardless. The pay loss was us losing FLSA, fair labor standards act. Which for a 5-6 year agent was a loss of about 500 a month. The new system is actually nice, you commit to a time you want to work. If you want to 8 and skate, you can. If you want the extra money, work the +2 hours.

honor first

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9292 users online. 342 members and 8950 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X