Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Border Patrol Agent

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by StarfishPrime View Post
    Am I allowed to wear a beard to the interview?
    As long as it's groomed, you'll be fine.

    Comment


    • thank you.

      Comment


      • Hey everyone, just did my PFT1 and Medical Exam.

        Everything went well except for vision in my right eye. I failed that. I might be at 20/30 in that eye.

        Does this mean I can't become a BPA?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by StarfishPrime View Post
          Hey everyone, just did my PFT1 and Medical Exam.

          Everything went well except for vision in my right eye. I failed that. I might be at 20/30 in that eye.

          Does this mean I can't become a BPA?
          I did the research for you. I'm sure if you can have it corrected you will be fine
          https://www.cbp.gov/careers/join-cbp...r-patrol-agent

          Comment


          • Originally posted by DiverB72 View Post
            I did the research for you. I'm sure if you can have it corrected you will be fine
            https://www.cbp.gov/careers/join-cbp...r-patrol-agent
            I was looking at that page as well.

            I think the lady botched my eye exam. She wasn't in a position to tell me pass/fail, since her office was a contractor for CBP.

            The site says that an applicant's vision can be no worse than 20/100 uncorrected, 20/20 corrected.

            It doesn't state that I have to get my vision corrected though. I know for a fact my vision is better than 20/100.

            I just made an appointment with my eye doc to get an official measurement so that I have something to fax/email cbp should they disqualify me over this.

            Thanks for the info though.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by StarfishPrime View Post
              I was looking at that page as well.

              I think the lady botched my eye exam. She wasn't in a position to tell me pass/fail, since her office was a contractor for CBP.

              The site says that an applicant's vision can be no worse than 20/100 uncorrected, 20/20 corrected.

              It doesn't state that I have to get my vision corrected though. I know for a fact my vision is better than 20/100.

              I just made an appointment with my eye doc to get an official measurement so that I have something to fax/email cbp should they disqualify me over this.

              Thanks for the info though.
              You should be fine if you have 20/80 20/90 uncorrected especially if it says 20/100 uncorrected is the cutoff. No need to worry 20/30 is still good.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by service4others View Post
                You should be fine if you have 20/80 20/90 uncorrected especially if it says 20/100 uncorrected is the cutoff. No need to worry 20/30 is still good.
                that's a relief.

                thank you.

                Comment


                • Just a heads up to people who have bad vision, but can pass minimum standards.

                  If you pass the vision test but dont have great vision and are thinking 'I should get LASIK while I apply', NEGATIVE. I had more than 5 classmates who were almost done with the process, but CBP required them to have LASIK, or they had just gotten it recently on their own accord for whatever reason. Those guys were in the medical review abyss. Those who had corrective eye service specifically ended up being on medical wait lists to be cleared for over a year, and would had a year or 1.5 years on duty longer than me had they not got snagged up.

                  Short version is if you can pass vision tests to move forward, wait to do LASIK or corrective surgery until AFTER you have been hired and completed the academy. Then take sick leave.
                  UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                  "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"


                  honor first

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by battlewagon View Post
                    Just a heads up to people who have bad vision, but can pass minimum standards.

                    If you pass the vision test but dont have great vision and are thinking 'I should get LASIK while I apply', NEGATIVE. I had more than 5 classmates who were almost done with the process, but CBP required them to have LASIK, or they had just gotten it recently on their own accord for whatever reason. Those guys were in the medical review abyss. Those who had corrective eye service specifically ended up being on medical wait lists to be cleared for over a year, and would had a year or 1.5 years on duty longer than me had they not got snagged up.

                    Short version is if you can pass vision tests to move forward, wait to do LASIK or corrective surgery until AFTER you have been hired and completed the academy. Then take sick leave.
                    Yea and 20/30 is not bad at all. When I was at the eye Doc not too long ago they do not even make you get a prescription lens legally to drive until you hit 20/50 and after that. I had not had a checkup for years no corrective glasses because I have good vision. Was told I still have really good vision and one eye is at 20/30. This is not a big deal. Not sure why you said you failed the eye exam if they are failing you because you have 20/30 I would say they have a lot of problems.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by service4others View Post
                      Yea and 20/30 is not bad at all. When I was at the eye Doc not too long ago they do not even make you get a prescription lens legally to drive until you hit 20/50 and after that. I had not had a checkup for years no corrective glasses because I have good vision. Was told I still have really good vision and one eye is at 20/30. This is not a big deal. Not sure why you said you failed the eye exam if they are failing you because you have 20/30 I would say they have a lot of problems.
                      Well, like I said, the woman worked for some contracting company, and I think she was out of line saying that. It's like an officer telling an offender that they're guilty before the judge has the final say. She spoke out of line, and I don't think her words held any merit. I was just concerned and did more research because of what she said.

                      Originally posted by battlewagon View Post
                      Just a heads up to people who have bad vision, but can pass minimum standards.

                      If you pass the vision test but dont have great vision and are thinking 'I should get LASIK while I apply', NEGATIVE. I had more than 5 classmates who were almost done with the process, but CBP required them to have LASIK, or they had just gotten it recently on their own accord for whatever reason. Those guys were in the medical review abyss. Those who had corrective eye service specifically ended up being on medical wait lists to be cleared for over a year, and would had a year or 1.5 years on duty longer than me had they not got snagged up.

                      Short version is if you can pass vision tests to move forward, wait to do LASIK or corrective surgery until AFTER you have been hired and completed the academy. Then take sick leave.
                      Good advice.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by StarfishPrime View Post
                        The site says that an applicant's vision can be no worse than 20/100 uncorrected, 20/20 corrected.

                        It doesn't state that I have to get my vision corrected though. I know for a fact my vision is better than 20/100.
                        It's not an either/or criteria, it's both. You must have a minimum of 20/100 uncorrected AND be 20/20 corrected.

                        I am making some assumptions, either you tested 20/30 in your right eye with correction so you need an updated script or most likely you have never bothered to get corrective lenses of any kind since you barely need them. In either case you need to get corrected to 20/20 and a statement from your optometrist to provide to them. That was my experience years ago when I was in the same situation.
                        Last edited by Krzyshng; 07-08-2016, 07:56 PM.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Krzyshng View Post
                          It's not an either/or criteria, it's both. You must have a minimum of 20/100 uncorrected AND be 20/20 corrected.

                          I am making some assumptions, either you tested 20/30 in your right eye with correction so you need an updated script or most likely you have never bothered to get corrective lenses of any kind since you barely need them. In either case you need to get corrected to 20/20 and a statement from your optometrist to provide to them. That was my experience years ago when I was in the same situation.
                          So you are saying that my eyes are good from the doc but not good enough for BP? I only have one eye that was rated 20/30 the other is 20/25 and the doc said still really good no need for a script. So If I do not have corrective lenses to make it 20/20 I will have to get them? Aka a pair of glasses not sure if I can do contacts.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by service4others View Post
                            So you are saying that my eyes are good from the doc but not good enough for BP? I only have one eye that was rated 20/30 the other is 20/25 and the doc said still really good no need for a script. So If I do not have corrective lenses to make it 20/20 I will have to get them? Aka a pair of glasses not sure if I can do contacts.
                            If you can pass the vision test then you're good to go. If you need to utilize correction to pass then they will ask for your latest script and also ensure you meet the uncorrected standard. If you outright "fail" then yes, you will need to provide documentation that you have been corrected to the standard in addition to your script. Ymmv of course, I'm not a deciding official and maybe you have a cool doc that's willing to vouch for you without getting a pair of practically unnecessary glasses.

                            I was in my early 20s when I was hired and had never bothered to get an exam much less a pair glasses. Nearly a decade later I've finally decided my vision has deteriorated enough to justify the hassle of full time correction.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Krzyshng View Post
                              If you can pass the vision test then you're good to go. If you need to utilize correction to pass then they will ask for your latest script and also ensure you meet the uncorrected standard. If you outright "fail" then yes, you will need to provide documentation that you have been corrected to the standard in addition to your script. Ymmv of course, I'm not a deciding official and maybe you have a cool doc that's willing to vouch for you without getting a pair of practically unnecessary glasses.

                              I was in my early 20s when I was hired and had never bothered to get an exam much less a pair glasses. Nearly a decade later I've finally decided my vision has deteriorated enough to justify the hassle of full time correction.
                              I'm guessing that you decided to go with Lasik?

                              It scares the **** out of me. I've heard horror stories about people getting starbursts after undergoing lasik surgery.

                              Could you talk about the procedure (if you did it)?

                              Comment


                              • Did mine. Went fine. Get it. I'm an agent now.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 8515 users online. 385 members and 8130 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X