300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AL_NERI View Post
    Spanish was a two month vacation. You couldn't fail it. No one ever did. Stress free easy pay check for two months, just worked out and hung out. And I'm no Spanish speaker. So ya, sucks it's all one now. Also the tests for the basic academy were cumulative. You could do great on the first few and all but mail in the last couple and pass. Not anymore. They are individually scored. Fail one you get another shot, fail that and bye bye. But you shouldn't be failing there is plenty of time to study.
    The academy is going back to the old school method of teaching, which I agree with. The job requires Spanish, and the more pratice at using it while doing scenarios during the academy, the better. I doubt the patrol will go back to 7 & 10 month oral/written Spanish boards to pass probation, but going back to the old Spanish program incorporated with training at the same time is a good move. I taught at the academy last year and I remember getting to vote on it on some survey sent thru cc mail.

Comment

• I agree as well. And I'm happy that they lost the cumulative avg. It thins the heard of undesirables. Some may disagree but I think it's good. We only lost about 6-8 from academics out of 50. Lost 3 to injury 2 quit and 2 fired. I've been hearing as many as half of classes (not often) not making it through the academics bc each is pass fail now. Just study. I spent hours with flash cards. Till my eyes hurt.

Comment

I agree as well. And I'm happy that they lost the cumulative avg. It thins the heard of undesirables. Some may disagree but I think it's good. We only lost about 6-8 from academics out of 50. Lost 3 to injury 2 quit and 2 fired. I've been hearing as many as half of classes (not often) not making it through the academics bc each is pass fail now. Just study. I spent hours with flash cards. Till my eyes hurt.
        My class started with 50 and we graduated with 23, and 2 lost their jobs at the 7 month exam, only 21 of us were left. Heck I think out of the 21 of us, there's only 11 or 12 still with BP, the others went to other agencies.

I agree 100% that flash cards work! If you go to the Spanish lab after class for help, it will help plus it shows the instructors that your serious about wanting to learn. I also spent about $3,000 in tutoring fees to pass that dang 7 & 10 month!

Comment

• Originally posted by DiverB72 View Post
          The academy is going back to the old school method of teaching, which I agree with. The job requires Spanish, and the more pratice at using it while doing scenarios during the academy, the better. I doubt the patrol will go back to 7 & 10 month oral/written Spanish boards to pass probation, but going back to the old Spanish program incorporated with training at the same time is a good move. I taught at the academy last year and I remember getting to vote on it on some survey sent thru cc mail.
          How long ago was the old way? Just curious. Also Diver I sent you another PM.

Comment

• 1924-2004 was old school. I think the academy changed after that some time. I'm thinking after 06, 08 is when they changed the Spanish to an easier verison.

Comment

1924-2004 was old school. I think the academy changed after that some time. I'm thinking after 06, 08 is when they changed the Spanish to an easier verison.
              Gotcha so it is still an easier version but integrated into training instead of waiting until the end? Or is it back to pre 06, 08?

Comment

• I'm not sure, I likely won't ever teach at the academy again so I'm not keeping up on the circulium. Just study, keep the beer drinking to just one night a week, and you'll be fine. If I can pass it, anyone who wants it can pass. Flash cards, Spanish lab, and native speaking classmates are your friends!
                Last edited by DiverB72; 06-28-2016, 11:56 PM.

Comment

• Now we have post academy with no Spanish. You go to sector HQ once a week while on fto for 8 months. At sector you still get exams and if you fail you get one retake like the academy and you are out. When all is said and done it's a little over a year of training before you are on your lonesome.

Comment

Now we have post academy with no Spanish. You go to sector HQ once a week while on fto for 8 months. At sector you still get exams and if you fail you get one retake like the academy and you are out. When all is said and done it's a little over a year of training before you are on your lonesome.
                    What is post academy with no Spanish? Just tests on laws and basics on the job? Obviously no Spanish tests.

Comment

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post
                      Must be nice. Applicants getting hired in 6 months nowadays. My whole class took years to get hired, shortest timeframe was 23 months. If you are asking about the job itself, there last 40-50 pages are pretty new relative info, Agents bitching and Agents who like it. My personal advice is do it, then you can be like DiverB72 and live the dream and do chingos of training and go to the northern border.
                      Originally posted by DiverB72 View Post
                      My 6yrs in Ajo was hard living but rewarding. I was on horse patrol with lots action and fun. Its what you make of it job wise
                      Good stuff.

I'm hoping to spend 3-5 years in and become a special agent somewhere.

Really focused on passing right now though. Hopefully all goes well.

Am I allowed to wear a beard to the interview?

Comment

Spanish was a two month vacation. You couldn't fail it.
                        Spanish was one of the best times in my life, no lie. legit just hanging out with my best friends every day, and jerking off in class; instructors were laid back and had fun. Then getting off, working out, etc. Panic would set in Thursday, pass the Friday scenario, and then party Friday and Saturday night.

Ahh the good ol GS-5 straight 8 no AUO days, living on a dime.
                        UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                        "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post
                          Spanish was one of the best times in my life, no lie. legit just hanging out with my best friends every day, and jerking off in class; instructors were laid back and had fun. Then getting off, working out, etc. Panic would set in Thursday, pass the Friday scenario, and then party Friday and Saturday night.

Ahh the good ol GS-5 straight 8 no AUO days, living on a dime.
                          Well maybe now the integrated Spanish class will be the same? Except learning it while trying to keep up with learning everything else. I keep saying integrated because I do not know what else to call it.

Comment

• Originally posted by service4others View Post
                            Well maybe now the integrated Spanish class will be the same? Except learning it while trying to keep up with learning everything else. I keep saying integrated because I do not know what else to call it.
                            No it will not be. Now it will be a class, just another to-do on your daily schedule. Old Spanish was its own two months where you did NOTHING else. No PT, no drill, no law, nothing. Reporting to nobody expect Spanish instructors. It was a free ride until Thursday night panic, and then a free ride from Friday afternoon until the next Thursday study panic.

honor first

Comment

• my Spanish memories in class were a little different. 3hrs of Spanish a day, plus nat/imm law, crim law, PT, Ops, ect. I was sweating every Spanish exam knowing if I failed one too many, I would be gone. I will say this, coming from zero Spanish to being able to complete sentences and learning was a huge accomplishment for me. I was on the 6day a week academy pilot program. I think the 6 day a week academy only lasted 3 or 4 classes then it returned to the 5 day program

Comment

my Spanish memories in class were a little different. 3hrs of Spanish a day, plus nat/imm law, crim law, PT, Ops, ect. I was sweating every Spanish exam knowing if I failed one too many, I would be gone. I will say this, coming from zero Spanish to being able to complete sentences and learning was a huge accomplishment for me. I was on the 6day a week academy pilot program. I think the 6 day a week academy only lasted 3 or 4 classes then it returned to the 5 day program
                                Yeah old patrol had it rough, from the academy, to the probationary boards at the station, etc. Academy is still tough, of course everyone will always say theirs was harder than the new guys, but the attrition rates don't like. We still only graduated with 38 or something, but definitely not like the 50% completion of old

honor first

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8710 users online. 363 members and 8347 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X