300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Battlewagon,
    Like your attitude, nothing beats patience! I have a question or two about the Patrol. How long is the probationary period? I always thought it to be one year, but have read something about two years? Also when is the basic academy changing from three months, then Spanish, to an integrated five month old school one?
    Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post
      Yes joined after I finished my probation year, 1.5 years in when I left. Took LWOP and it was the biggest pain in the ***. When I returned, I didn't have email for months, for like 3 weeks I wasn't in the system so I was just coming in to work and getting transport van etc because it wasn't populating my name I the 259, they STILL owe me money from health care premiums they took out while I was gone (they weren't supposed to).
      My first 2 deployments, all my paperwork with in the BP was just fine, no problems. My most recent deployment, the MSS lady filed the paperwork as if I quit! My PAIC jumped her for it and the MSS Supervisor at sector had it squared away within a pay period. I'm now on a longterm detail to AMO, so I don't plan on coming back. Im gonna try to get hired full time with AMO and finish my career with them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wentwest View Post
        Hey Battlewagon,
        Like your attitude, nothing beats patience! I have a question or two about the Patrol. How long is the probationary period? I always thought it to be one year, but have read something about two years? Also when is the basic academy changing from three months, then Spanish, to an integrated five month old school one?
        Thanks in advance.
        It has already switched to the integrated Spanish, I have a classmate who failed go back, and they are the first class to do it, he is there now. Also, now Agents leave with taser certifications and some other certs which is good for them. Intel on the streets is that sooner than later, Agents will leave with ATV certification and maybe others, which would be great for them, as at my station you need probably 5+ years to even get sent off to get your cert.

Probation is now a year. Used to be two. 3 years is career permanent status.

Originally posted by DiverB72 View Post
        My first 2 deployments, all my paperwork with in the BP was just fine, no problems. My most recent deployment, the MSS lady filed the paperwork as if I quit! My PAIC jumped her for it and the MSS Supervisor at sector had it squared away within a pay period. I'm now on a longterm detail to AMO, so I don't plan on coming back. Im gonna try to get hired full time with AMO and finish my career with them.
        Yeah as you probably well know if youre doing the 5 year aerial observer they'll definitely scoop you up. Got a guy here on that now, so he'll be leaving as soon as his detail is up.

Yeah it was just a mess, I just want the 500 bucks they owe me but every time I get with the people in charge of it and submit paperwork, I never hear back.
        UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
        "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• Yea I got picked up for the SAM gig. I already have a pilots license (fixed wing) and am taking lessons for rotor now. I have a buddy who was the same as me and got hired that way. If I can't get picked up on the air side, maybe I can get the marine side since I have my USCG license aswell

Comment

• Originally posted by DiverB72 View Post
            Yea I got picked up for the SAM gig. I already have a pilots license (fixed wing) and am taking lessons for rotor now. I have a buddy who was the same as me and got hired that way. If I can't get picked up on the air side, maybe I can get the marine side since I have my USCG license aswell
            Chingao sir living the dream. I wanted to do the military anyways, so I joined Coast Guard to get all my hours and everything for my six pack, but of course not even close with Reserve time, even with BM A School and all. Had my own boat for a few years so I'm almost there but not yet. MIA is my dream job.

honor first

Comment

• When I took a VRP in 2008 to DTS, I spent a summer as a crewman on our boats, then went to MLETP, and for 3yrs I did have the BP dream gig. Summers on the marine patrol and winters teaching at the academy. I was like a BP snowbird, lol. I got my 6pack after the end of my 2nd summer and then I got underway with the Coast Guard for a week on their 45' so I could take the masters license upgrade exam. We do a lot of co-crewing with USCG and the Sheriff's Dept., so its fun being on different vessel's. I paid for my 6pack and masters license out of my pocket just to have them, along with my TWIC, but it was a worth while investment.

Comment

• Originally posted by DiverB72 View Post
                When I took a VRP in 2008 to DTS, I spent a summer as a crewman on our boats, then went to MLETP, and for 3yrs I did have the BP dream gig. Summers on the marine patrol and winters teaching at the academy. I was like a BP snowbird, lol. I got my 6pack after the end of my 2nd summer and then I got underway with the Coast Guard for a week on their 45' so I could take the masters license upgrade exam. We do a lot of co-crewing with USCG and the Sheriff's Dept., so its fun being on different vessel's. I paid for my 6pack and masters license out of my pocket just to have them, along with my TWIC, but it was a worth while investment.
                Yeah 5 months of Coast Guard Boatswain's Mate A School doesn't count so end of the day I'm going to have to pay one of those cats $1000 to take the class, TWIC, etc. And yeah sounds like you were killing it!

McAllen, obviously one of the biggest stations in the patrol, has kids a day off probation getting on boats, and people 2 years in going to captain's school. Makes me so sad/jelly, they have never even solicited boats since I have been at this station. A few months on boats and I would get the ball rolling and have my 6 pack in a year's time. Might PM you come time for advice on the paperwork and all.

honor first

Comment

• I hear ya man, when I got to DTS, the old PAIC was firm on being a crewman before being sent to MLETP. When I finally got to attend MLETP I thought it was the greatest thing. Fast forward to the northern border interns, they were going left and right off probation. Kinda made the luster of attending MLETP wear off a bit. Still the best class I have ever been to, if you can go...GO! Its only 3wks long but you learn so much and have a ball doing it

Comment

It has already switched to the integrated Spanish, I have a classmate who failed go back, and they are the first class to do it, he is there now. Also, now Agents leave with taser certifications and some other certs which is good for them. Intel on the streets is that sooner than later, Agents will leave with ATV certification and maybe others, which would be great for them, as at my station you need probably 5+ years to even get sent off to get your cert.

Probation is now a year. Used to be two. 3 years is career permanent status.

Yeah as you probably well know if youre doing the 5 year aerial observer they'll definitely scoop you up. Got a guy here on that now, so he'll be leaving as soon as his detail is up.

Yeah it was just a mess, I just want the 500 bucks they owe me but every time I get with the people in charge of it and submit paperwork, I never hear back.
                    So wait the academy changed? I thought it was 8 weeks of Spanish at the end?

Comment

• Hello everybody.

I'm a 23 year old male in NYC who will be earning a BA in December.

I thought I would post my current application timeline for those who are interested.

5/1/16 - Entrance Examination
                      5/25/16 - NOR - Passed with grade of 94.
                      6/7/16 - Submitted SF-86.
                      6/28/16 - Contacted to schedule Medical Exam and PFT-1.

It's scary how fast this is moving. At this rate, I could very well be employed as soon as I graduate college.

I'm optimistic about the PFT1.

Anyone have any advice for me regarding anything about the BPA position?

Comment

• Originally posted by service4others View Post
                        So wait the academy changed? I thought it was 8 weeks of Spanish at the end?
                        Yes, everyone stays the same amount of time now, Spanish speakers don't get to bounce after 3 months. Spanish is integrated into the curriculum instead of being a standalone program.

I don't know the specifics, but I imagine while you are learning traffic stops with the driving instructors, you are probably learning the Spanish part of traffic stops at the same time. Which is better than before, where there was a 2 month gap between learning it, and then relearning it in Spanish.

Originally posted by StarfishPrime View Post
                        Hello everybody.

I'm a 23 year old male in NYC who will be earning a BA in December.

I thought I would post my current application timeline for those who are interested.

5/1/16 - Entrance Examination
                        5/25/16 - NOR - Passed with grade of 94.
                        6/7/16 - Submitted SF-86.
                        6/28/16 - Contacted to schedule Medical Exam and PFT-1.

It's scary how fast this is moving. At this rate, I could very well be employed as soon as I graduate college.

I'm optimistic about the PFT1.

Anyone have any advice for me regarding anything about the BPA position?
                        Must be nice. Applicants getting hired in 6 months nowadays. My whole class took years to get hired, shortest timeframe was 23 months. If you are asking about the job itself, there last 40-50 pages are pretty new relative info, Agents bitching and Agents who like it. My personal advice is do it, then you can be like DiverB72 and live the dream and do chingos of training and go to the northern border.

honor first

Comment

Agents bitching and Agents who like it. My personal advice is do it, then you can be like DiverB72 and live the dream and do chingos of training and go to the northern border.
                          My 6yrs in Ajo was hard living but rewarding. I was on horse patrol with lots action and fun. Its what you make of it job wise

Comment

• So in your opinion would the new change in the academy make it a bit harder? Because I will say it again I really suck at Spanish lol. I appreciate the information from the both of you. You guys have some really good knowledge and perspectives.

Comment

• Spanish was a two month vacation. You couldn't fail it. No one ever did. Stress free easy pay check for two months, just worked out and hung out. And I'm no Spanish speaker. So ya, sucks it's all one now. Also the tests for the basic academy were cumulative. You could do great on the first few and all but mail in the last couple and pass. Not anymore. They are individually scored. Fail one you get another shot, fail that and bye bye. But you shouldn't be failing there is plenty of time to study.

Comment

• Originally posted by AL_NERI View Post
                                Spanish was a two month vacation. You couldn't fail it. No one ever did. Stress free easy pay check for two months, just worked out and hung out. And I'm no Spanish speaker. So ya, sucks it's all one now. Also the tests for the basic academy were cumulative. You could do great on the first few and all but mail in the last couple and pass. Not anymore. They are individually scored. Fail one you get another shot, fail that and bye bye. But you shouldn't be failing there is plenty of time to study.
                                Wow so this is a very recent change? I have heard that before "plenty of time to study".

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5400 users online. 209 members and 5191 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X