X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got my TSL for the VRA announcement

Comment

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post
      aren't they combining DO/ERO/IEA all into one position now, and getting gs13s?

I have a classmate already leaving for the 'new' position they are making (as I understand it), he got on with that huge current ICE/USBP/OFO announcement they posted a few months ago. another friend leaving as well.

what say you of that? I would jump ship if it meant getting home since I am from NC and the USBP obviously isn't there; both of my friends leaving got their choice pick, Chicago and miami
      They already combined the DO/IEA position and they are 12s with AUO.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHU View Post
        They already combined the DO/IEA position and they are 12s with AUO.
        Which I was told is going away from a buddy who was an IEA and now DO. The Border Patrol just lost AUO as well as FLSA. I wouldn't count on 45 act or AUO to be added to your pay for an extended time period.

Comment

• I almost left BP last year. I got back from a deployment and tested for USSS under the schedule B hiring, and the only 3 offices they offered me were, Boston, LA, and Washington DC. I simply cant afford to live in any of those locations. With me being 7 yrs from retiring, I figure I will just suck it up and stick it out.

With the loss of AUO & FLSA, I have seen a few guys from the station move on to other agencies.
          Last edited by DiverB72; 02-13-2016, 05:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
            How long has it been since you were in Ajo? The reason I ask is because guys who were last in Ajo 5+ years ago talk about the work being great. Well things have changed. There is still work, but it is far slower, and there is a lot of bureaucratic BS going on as well that has greatly lowered the morale of agents at that station.

The Ajo that you miss no longer exists.
            Yea I know its not the Ajo of the past, the old wild, wild west days. I got hired in 2003 and Ajo was really fun to work. I even lived in Ajo, I remember driving to Gila Bend just to eat at McDonalds, what a treat that was. haha

Comment

• Originally posted by DiverB72 View Post
              I almost left BP last year. I got back from a deployment and tested for USSS under the schedule B hiring, and the only 3 offices they offered me were, Boston, LA, and Washington DC. I simply cant afford to live in any of those locations. With me being 7 yrs from retiring, I figure I will just suck it up and stick it out.

With the loss of AUO & FLSA, I have seen a few guys from the station move on to other agencies.
              I'm sitting in the waiting room to test for FAMS. Wouldn't take the job if offered just practicing for special agent exams.

I'm in no rush to leave asa result of the pay reform but if another opportunity came up ( not FAMS haha) I'd take it. Lots of guys including classmates leaving for ice

Originally posted by DiverB72 View Post
              Yea I know its not the Ajo of the past, the old wild, wild west days. I got hired in 2003 and Ajo was really fun to work. I even lived in Ajo, I remember driving to Gila Bend just to eat at McDonalds, what a treat that was. haha
              UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
              "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-01-2019, 09:40 PM.

Comment

• double///////////

Comment

• Originally posted by SHU View Post
                    I'm a PA. 45 act and AUO have been gone for a while. It may or may not be taken from the DO position. There are very few DO compared to PAs so they can fly under the radar a lot easier. Also I do not know of any OSC investigation into the improper use AUO by Deportation Officers. The OSC investigation and their report to congress is what did in the AUO for PAs.
                    damn hook me up with that san clemente checkpoint in the VRP. somewhere up there north of camp pendleton

honor first

Comment

• whoops double post. see next page.
                      Last edited by battlewagon; 02-13-2016, 02:16 PM.

honor first

Comment

• So I know we got a little off topic of the hiring process with us current PAs taking up air time in here, so

TO CURRENT BORDER PATROL APPLICANTS:
                        A little rant/rave for you. Take it as you will, and remember this is my opinion so take it for what it is worth, which is nothing.

I was at a testing center today taking the test for a position with the Federal Air Marshals. It was a very tough test, that I felt like I wasn't doing that well on. But I received my email instantly saying I passed and was invited to a Field Office to interview with the SAC (special agent in charge), and a few other steps (PT test, etc). Not sure if I'll even do that, will probably drop out of the application process because honestly I love my job/station/work with the Border Patrol. But if you can get hired, you will have a great job. If you don't like the job, you can put just a few years in, and be eligible for some really cool job opportunities due to your training and experience you will gain in the Border Patrol, and have some great leg-ups over regular applicants. I've applied for many Federal jobs, many who gave preference to current fed employees. I received job offers and turned them all down because I felt like I would miss the patrol and all my homies at my station. The border patrol gives you some great opportunities to move to other agencies. Or a great opportunity to retire at 45-50 if you so desire.

My point in all of this?

During my exam, I was the only one there taking the FAMs test. But there were at least 10 people taking the Border Patrol entrance exam. Three of them left before even finishing the test. One left during a break, not even telling the test administrator. If you don't even have the discipline to power through an entry test, then save everyone the trouble and quit the hiring process now.

Furthermore, there were people there asking the administrator the difference between the Artificial Language Test and the Spanish test. Meaning they didn't even click the study guide link received during their initial application to do a practice test, see what was going to be on the test, or prepare themselves. This is a big boy job, so if you can't even spend 10 minutes reading a prep/study guide, you won't make it through the academy. Again, probably not the quality of people we want in the patrol.

Sure, there are plenty of slugs in the patrol, hugely overweight, and not go-getters anymore. But they put their time in. When you are new, you have to be a big boy, study your maps and sensor lists, study for post academy or get fired, study for FTO quizzes, and so much more. And then prove yourself so you keep your job. If you can't take the time to study, or have the discipline to push through the entry level exam, you aren't going to graduate the academy. Old timers will say 'our academy was harder' but the truth is the academy as of recently, the 1040+ classes is probably the hardest it has ever been. Two test failures and youre gone.

For many of you reading this youre already balls deep in the process, so youve already done the entry test. But the jist of my message still applies. It is okay to train, prepare, and go to the academy and fail. But if you are one of the people, like in my class that quit in the first few days because 'i was getting yelled at' or go to the academy and get ****faced through the week and on weekends and fail out (we had a class lose 12 people in one test, they BBQd and drank every day), then youre an ******* for taking someone else's spot at the academy. I had a blast at the academy, and would go do it again if I could go again with my classmates. We drank hard on the weekends in celebration of passing tests, and made some great memories. many of my classmates are still my best friends I see daily at work or everytime we have days of together. You will have fun, but you have to be the kind of person ready to put the work in.

Not sure why that irked me so bad, those three quitting right there, but I guess it reminded me of people in my class that quit for no good reason, robbing people of spots. Or even worse, guys who graduated the academy and went to their station, and quit on FTO because they got bossed around. You stole someone's academy spot, AND shorted the station an agent they were allocated.

This is a great job, with some awesome opportunities once you have some years in. Where else can you gunsling on ATVs, Horses, Boats, Dirtbikes, helicopters, and more? Just be sure to ask yourself if this is the job for you, and are you willing to put the training and preparation in before the academy, the work while there at FLETC, and then know your place and be a junior agent, yes sir no sir and soak up everything you can when you are the trainee at the station? If so, go for it. If not, do the honorable thing and withdraw now. See you out there boys and girls.

honor first

Comment

• battlewagon
                          battlewagon commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Someone liked this post today, so it brought it up in my notifications. Re-read it. To add to my points above, about the job giving you great opportunities, I am happy to update and provide even more evidence of that. I do not have a degree, and do not have vet preference, so my BP resume is all I have (which is a lot more diverse than just patrol work; sector details, public affairs, etc).

Since this post, I received firm offers from USCIS ISO, ICE ERO Deportation Officer, US Marshals Deputy, HSI Special Agent. So imagine how many more doors will be open for you once you get your foot in this door if you have a degree or vet. But if you don't, you'll be good to go still!

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post
                        I'm sitting in the waiting room to test for FAMS. Wouldn't take the job if offered just practicing for special agent exams.

I'm in no rush to leave asa result of the pay reform but if another opportunity came up ( not FAMS haha) I'd take it. Lots of guys including classmates leaving for ice

In 2010 I detailed over to the FAMS for 6 months. It was fun for the first 3 weeks, then it got real old real quick. Yea the money was good with all the perdiem, but it was sitting on an X at 35,000 feet for 10+ hours a day. The ASAC of the office told me to apply under an opening announcement, but honestly it was so boring and dealing with airports and travelers everyday, NO THANKS.

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-01-2019, 09:41 PM.

Comment

• Any current BPAs know the process for lateraling from OFO to BP? I'm assuming I should contact the station MSS and see if they have openings? Asking for a friend.

Comment

• My station had one guy who went to OFO, but I recall he went thru the entire hiring process just like anyone else..albeit it a tad quicker

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10781 users online. 521 members and 10260 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X