Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You should plan on spending 3-5yrs at your first duty station. This past year the patrol started in sector NON-Paid moves where you can swap with another agent in your sector for stations and also national wide NON-Paid moves. I believe the nation wide moves might be seniority based, but I'm not sure. I'm on my second station and don't see myself moving again before I retire in a few yrs.
    Last edited by DiverB72; 02-06-2016, 03:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mroaches View Post
      Are there any BPA's that were prior full time LEO's on here? I'm a full time LEO and just recently applied for BPA
      You will be very bored with the work, but will mostly likely make more money with BP than your local agency. Its a trade off. If your tired of running call to call, and of course dealing with the same crap birds, then BP could be a nice change of pace for you

Comment

• Originally posted by mroaches View Post
        Are there any BPA's that were prior full time LEO's on here? I'm a full time LEO and just recently applied for BPA
        Is there an actual question beside being prior LEO? Yes many PAs are prior LEOs.

Originally posted by Corey_r View Post
        Got my NORs today. Scored a 96. Also in the hiring process with CBP but would much rather take a border patrol position. Just did pft1 and med with cbp yesterday and passed so hoping I won't have to repeat much with border patrol if I get a tentative. I applied for south Texas but wouldn't wanna spend my entire life out there. Anyone know if there is a minimum amount of time one must work down there before being able to transfer around?
        Originally posted by DiverB72 View Post
        You should plan on spending 3-5yrs at your first duty station. This past year the patrol started in sector NON-Paid moves where you can swap with another agent in your sector for stations
        not the case here in south texas, and from the other agents I have spoken with, they have no such program going on either. I know some sectors, like RGV for example, had a chief that allowed all agents to transfer at will between stations. but that was a long time ago and I wouldnt be surprised if the whole VRP/ROB and union agreements prevent that from happening now.

But OP, yes, there are programs in place now where you can transfer and swap, but see my next bit below

Originally posted by Corey_r View Post
        I applied for south Texas but wouldn't wanna spend my entire life out there. Anyone know if there is a minimum amount of time one must work down there before being able to transfer around?
        depends. i know guys with less than two years in that got transfers from texas to arizona for example, but they were taking absolute **** stations (in terms of quality of life) like Ajo, AZ, douglas az, etc. If you want florida, coastal california like imperial beach, gulf states LA/AL, etc, yeah you'll need 15-20 years to get transfers to those stations

Originally posted by DiverB72 View Post
        You will be very bored with the work, but will mostly likely make more money with BP than your local agency. Its a trade off. If your tired of running call to call, and of course dealing with the same crap birds, then BP could be a nice change of pace for you
        Again take this advice with a grain of salt, but you said you applied to south texas. if the above poster lives in michigan, northern border sucks in terms of work and things to do. it is nuts in south texas. if you get McAllen or Rio Grande City for example, you can easily make 50+ arrests in a week. Plenty of days where I have personally caught 25 with me and the other agents assigned to the area. I have had single groups with 30+. You can catch a dope load every other day down here if you wanted. usually 300-700lbs here. got a 150+ lbs of cocaine recently.

other south texas stations like Weslaco, Harlingen, etc are significantly slower, but still plenty of work.
        Last edited by battlewagon; 02-07-2016, 02:36 AM.
        UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
        "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• I wouldn't say the Northern Border totally sucks and we have nothing to do. My station has 4 agents on each of the following task force; FBI, DEA, State Police, Sheriffs Drug team, and some other details. True we are not cutting sign on large groups or laying in on dope loads, but there is still work to be done, just not on the level as down south.

I did 5yrs in Ajo before coming up north. I miss the work some days, but the quality of life here is pretty hard to beat.

Comment

• Originally posted by DiverB72 View Post
            I wouldn't say the Northern Border totally sucks and we have nothing to do. My station has 4 agents on each of the following task force; FBI, DEA, State Police, Sheriffs Drug team, and some other details. True we are not cutting sign on large groups or laying in on dope loads, but there is still work to be done, just not on the level as down south.

I did 5yrs in Ajo before coming up north. I miss the work some days, but the quality of life here is pretty hard to beat.
            damn youre more of a man than me. i dont think i could live the ajo lifestyle.
            i cant stand the cold or living in such rural places, otherwise id say adios to the BP down here no questions asked

honor first

Comment

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post
              damn youre more of a man than me. i dont think i could live the ajo lifestyle.
              i cant stand the cold or living in such rural places, otherwise id say adios to the BP down here no questions asked
              I was out near DGL and would take Ajo any day. Work is good and you can live outside of Phoenix. It's also not a line station which is a welcome change if you come from a station like DGL or NCO. Hell, the commute is only 1.5 hours. Guys in DGL are doing just at an hour and NCO is 45 minutes but the work is slow and it's a line station with a line mentality.

Comment

• Originally posted by DiverB72 View Post
                I wouldn't say the Northern Border totally sucks and we have nothing to do. My station has 4 agents on each of the following task force; FBI, DEA, State Police, Sheriffs Drug team, and some other details. True we are not cutting sign on large groups or laying in on dope loads, but there is still work to be done, just not on the level as down south.

How long has it been since you were in Ajo? The reason I ask is because guys who were last in Ajo 5+ years ago talk about the work being great. Well things have changed. There is still work, but it is far slower, and there is a lot of bureaucratic BS going on as well that has greatly lowered the morale of agents at that station.

The Ajo that you miss no longer exists.
                What is Perseverance?
                -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• Originally posted by NC_Mtnman View Post
                  I was out near DGL and would take Ajo any day. Work is good and you can live outside of Phoenix. It's also not a line station which is a welcome change if you come from a station like DGL or NCO. Hell, the commute is only 1.5 hours. Guys in DGL are doing just at an hour and NCO is 45 minutes but the work is slow and it's a line station with a line mentality.
                  got a classmate that rehired to douglas, she hates it there. all they do is cut in front of the fence.

'only 1.5 hour commute' wtf sir! my 40 minute commute kills me, i might put in for a station swap for a station i dont want just to cut my drive time in half

honor first

Comment

• Just got my VRA NOR. I received a 100.

Comment

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post
                      got a classmate that rehired to douglas, she hates it there. all they do is cut in front of the fence.

'only 1.5 hour commute' wtf sir! my 40 minute commute kills me, i might put in for a station swap for a station i dont want just to cut my drive time in half
                      My 45 minute commute killed me also. Especially when I would get to the OS and have to sit and cut the line. DGL has mandatory cuts that are requested by supervisors and they will call you out on the radio. It is micro-manage hell over there for those guys. They put up with some serious BS.

Ajo may be slow compared to 5 years ago but it still has traffic that nowhere else has seen in a LONG TIME. The VRP would be nice if it was attainable. Oh well, I'm out now so I can't really complain much. Thinking of putting in again....

Comment

• Just got my TSL for South Texas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moose225 View Post
                          Just got my TSL for South Texas.
                          I also recieved my TSL for GS-5 & 7

Comment

• Well SI is done so now it is just time to pee in a cup, get hooked up to the box, and waddle about on a track.

Good luck everyone!
                            "Independent research, reading comprehension, & a firm grasp of reality saves lives."

Comment

• Originally posted by NC_Mtnman View Post
                              My 45 minute commute killed me also. Especially when I would get to the OS and have to sit and cut the line. DGL has mandatory cuts that are requested by supervisors and they will call you out on the radio. It is micro-manage hell over there for those guys. They put up with some serious BS.

Ajo may be slow compared to 5 years ago but it still has traffic that nowhere else has seen in a LONG TIME. The VRP would be nice if it was attainable. Oh well, I'm out now so I can't really complain much. Thinking of putting in again....
                              Yeah I can't complain either. I'm a Deportation Officer with ICE now. Honest truth is that I would rather not work at Douglas or Ajo. Neither one would be worth it to me. The commute for Ajo agents is even worse than my 1 hour 15 minute commute from Willcox to my house in Tucson. As for Douglas, well there isn't much to say that hasn't already been said.
                              What is Perseverance?
                              -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                              -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                              -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                                Yeah I can't complain either. I'm a Deportation Officer with ICE now. Honest truth is that I would rather not work at Douglas or Ajo. Neither one would be worth it to me. The commute for Ajo agents is even worse than my 1 hour 15 minute commute from Willcox to my house in Tucson. As for Douglas, well there isn't much to say that hasn't already been said.
                                aren't they combining DO/ERO/IEA all into one position now, and getting gs13s?

I have a classmate already leaving for the 'new' position they are making (as I understand it), he got on with that huge current ICE/USBP/OFO announcement they posted a few months ago. another friend leaving as well.

what say you of that? I would jump ship if it meant getting home since I am from NC and the USBP obviously isn't there; both of my friends leaving got their choice pick, Chicago and miami

honor first

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11918 users online. 452 members and 11466 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X