300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Krzyshng View Post
    Former PA here, I can only give you advice on Arizona. Casa Grande and Tucson are the top tier where most current agents would like to be due to being able to live in a larger city with a better quality of life. Ajo and Willcox are the two furthest stations and many agents choose to live in Buckeye and Vail but have lengthy commutes in exchange. Most Nogales and Sonoita agents live in Sahuarita which I've heard is pretty nice. Most Douglas, Naco, and some Sonoita agents live in Sierra Vista.

Sierra Vista is a smaller city which has everything you need but nothing you'd want, it's where I lived and the town felt safe and as far as "border" towns go it's not bad. It's about an hour away from Tucson. I've never been to NY so I'm not sure what your frame of reference is but I will say many of the Agents from Buffalo are discontent with the area and looking for ways to get back.

Two good resources to start your research and ask questions are the unofficial BP applicants and BP spouses forums.

http://m.delphiforums.com/borderpatrol

http://m.delphiforums.com/BPSupportGroup
    Thanks for the information. Casa Grande is sounding/looking pretty nice. Going to look into more. Mostly looking for an affordable home and quick commute.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by FrankNY1985 View Post
      Thanks for the information. Casa Grande is sounding/looking pretty nice. Going to look into more. Mostly looking for an affordable home and quick commute.

Affordable homes are achievable but quick commutes are almost unheard of in the Patrol. Quality of life and commute time have an inverse relationship and are almost mutually exclusive unless you're one of the lucky ones to be offered either CAG or TUS. Average commute is probably 30 minutes each way, closer to 90 for Ajo to Buckeye. Outlying stations generally have carpools but then you get stuck waiting for others since you can never predict what one might into on a given day.

Don't know how set or far along you are with BP but make sure you're prepared and the family is onboard with the locale because most stations are quite remote, I was to the point where ~150 miles daily wasn't too bad of a drive for a detail.

Comment

Affordable homes are achievable but quick commutes are almost unheard of in the Patrol. Quality of life and commute time have an inverse relationship and are almost mutually exclusive unless you're one of the lucky ones to be offered either CAG or TUS. Average commute is probably 30 minutes each way, closer to 90 for Ajo to Buckeye. Outlying stations generally have carpools but then you get stuck waiting for others since you can never predict what one might into on a given day.

Don't know how set or far along you are with BP but make sure you're prepared and the family is onboard with the locale because most stations are quite remote, I was to the point where ~150 miles daily wasn't too bad of a drive for a detail.
        I haven't applied yet. I don't know which city/state to choose from yet. Trying to do my research first before choosing what city/state I should start the process for. So by the sounds of what your saying CAG & TUS would be hard to get into right?

Comment

New agents are not being sent to Casa Grande for the foreseeable future. Look to be offered Ajo or Douglas in the Tucson sector.

I used to be a BPA in Willcox. It was about 85 miles from my house in Tucson to the station, which is about 1 hour 10 minutes on I-10. It is a checkpoint station and they have 3-24/7 checkpoints, one of which is very large as it is north of Sierra Vista on SR90.
          What is Perseverance?
          -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
          -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
          -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• 2nd Poly 15-3

I took my poly last week, I just got a call today for a 2nd poly next week here in San Diego??? I'm just wondering how often this happens and what your experience was???
            Last edited by SanDiego_Col; 09-24-2015, 01:25 PM.

Comment

• Does anybody know the top base salary for BP Agent? I seen on Usajobs.gov it says $70k. On other websites $93k. I can't seem to find a GL 12 scale salary.

Comment

Does anybody know the top base salary for BP Agent? I seen on Usajobs.gov it says $70k. On other websites $93k. I can't seem to find a GL 12 scale salary.

70K is base, step 1. 91K is step 10.

Page 33 of the PDF
                http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-overs...2015/leotb.pdf

(Unless you are assigned to an area with an adjusted locality pay.)

Comment

• Originally posted by AZDesertRat View Post
                  70K is base, step 1. 91K is step 10.

Page 33 of the PDF
                  http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-overs...2015/leotb.pdf

(Unless you are assigned to an area with an adjusted locality pay.)
                  Thanks for the info.

Page 33 shows GS scale. Only page 1 has GL and it only shows to GL-10.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Page 33 shows GS scale. Only page 1 has GL and it only shows to GL-10.

GL is a special scale for law enforcement and only goes to 10. It is used to compensate LEOs a little bit more at the lower grades. Once you get higher than 10 it switches over to the GS scale so the table linked to you is correct.

Comment

• How quickly could I get to the north?
                      currently employed by The State of NY

Comment

GL is a special scale for law enforcement and only goes to 10. It is used to compensate LEOs a little bit more at the lower grades. Once you get higher than 10 it switches over to the GS scale so the table linked to you is correct.
                        Thank you!

Comment

• Originally posted by nyhockeyref93 View Post
                          How quickly could I get to the north?
                          Depends on where exactly you're looking to go up north, I'm assuming NY so I'd plan on years. There are more mobility programs and opportunities now than in years past but there are still plenty of Agents with 8+ years seniority waiting to get their first move.

Comment

• 3rs Polygraph for 15-3

I'm having my 3rd polygraph in 2 weeks and I'm wondering why.... I have been honest with all my answers and the fact that they have not fail me makes me wonder more..

I just want to see if anyone has gone by more than 1 polygraph and how the experience was....

Thank you all

Comment

Depends on where exactly you're looking to go up north, I'm assuming NY so I'd plan on years. There are more mobility programs and opportunities now than in years past but there are still plenty of Agents with 8+ years seniority waiting to get their first move.
                              What about someone willing to go anywhere up north? How long do you think the wait is?

Comment

• Has any heard back from this new opening?

Last edited by FrankNY1985; 10-15-2015, 12:37 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4214 users online. 166 members and 4048 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X