300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ranger of Ithilien View Post
    I just finished my entrance examination. Now I wait for the results. I heard it can take a while (up to 2 months by the look of it). Is it still taking that long for recent testers or are they speeding up a bit? I turn 37 in December (cut off age) so I hope to get referred by then. If it takes as long as some other people I will never make it. I wonder if they would fast track someone approaching the age limit.
    you should be able to get your results way before that

Comment

• Originally posted by Kris86 View Post
      after you uploaded the docs they sent you the TSL a year later?? wow... well your almost done!! what geographic location you put in for?
      Yes, they took a while with me. Looks good now about to be finished. I have AZ , NM and Texas Geo.
      Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

"Abraham Lincoln"

Comment

• I must be blind, but are there any openings right now?

Comment

• Originally posted by vivithemage View Post
          I must be blind, but are there any openings right now?
          Not for Border Patrol but the CBP Officer position is open.

Comment

What is the difference? What's the # on USAJOBS?

Comment

• Originally posted by vivithemage View Post
              What is the difference? What's the # on USAJOBS?
              found it:

http://www.cbp.gov/careers/join-cbp/...rrent-openings

I also searched and found some good differences .

Comment

• Are you sure???

I took mine around the 20th as well and I keep checking the console and it has not been updated. I just want to see my score at this point. I have a feeling that no news/update means no pass/no talent. At this point this position is a write off since I got called for interviews for ICE-IEA 1801 and the department of Labor as an 1849.

Originally posted by Kris86 View Post
                you should be able to get your results way before that

Comment

• Just checked CASS and got Referred to scheduling unit. Also got in email to start the process with CBPO, although I have most of the process done already I wonder how long it would still take take till I can get a call from CBPO which I would rather do that.

Comment

• Current BPA here, and wanted to give you all some insight.

If you live in the border area, awesome, sign up, make a good pay check, stay out of the oil field.

If you are from the interior of the US, you have a degree, don't like the border area, DO NOT APPLY HERE. We've had wave after wave of people from the NW, and mid west who come here and think its going to be mayberry and life for your spouse will be amazing, etc. . . its not. Trust me, BPA's are leaving in droves, going to other agencies, and even local agencies, trying to get home. There is next to no mobility here, and don't plan on being all high speed and taking down a dope load everyday. We've ben neutered as of late, we don't do all the high speed stuff we used too. Lots of check point, lots of processing, lots of "sitting on an X".

Again, if the border area is where you want to be, sign up, and bring yourself down. Just don't come here thinking its got the same culture as the rest of the US.

Comment

• The differences are major. Border Patrol Agents work between the ports of entry. Office of Field operations works at the Ports of Entry (including international air ports within the interior of the US).

A PA will work in remote / harsh terrain, a OFO officer will work at a POE.

Im currently a PA, and if I could choose between the two, Id choose to be an officer within OFO. They have better mobility, consistent pay, better overtime, typically better schedules. What they don't have is a good relationship with management, then again we don't either.

Comment

• Originally posted by nice shot View Post
                        The differences are major. Border Patrol Agents work between the ports of entry. Office of Field operations works at the Ports of Entry (including international air ports within the interior of the US).

A PA will work in remote / harsh terrain, a OFO officer will work at a POE.

Im currently a PA, and if I could choose between the two, Id choose to be an officer within OFO. They have better mobility, consistent pay, better overtime, typically better schedules. What they don't have is a good relationship with management, then again we don't either.
                        They also have significantly less freedom/independence in the job. That of course is a small price to pay for good locations, mobility, and a life outside of work. If I could do it all over again, I would have gone with OFO as well. At the end of the day, it's all about your life outside of work.
                        Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

• What's the typical schedule for new hires?

Comment

after you uploaded the docs they sent you the TSL a year later?? wow... well your almost done!! what geographic location you put in for?
                            the area you put in for means absolutely nothing, just a heads up. you will be offered where people are needed. they take no consideration of what you request. not saying that negatively, but it's true
                            Originally posted by Kris86 View Post
                            there will be a may (22nd i think) BPA hiring, and another in October. that will be it for the remainder of the year.
                            Originally posted by nice shot View Post
                            Current BPA here, and wanted to give you all some insight.

If you live in the border area, awesome, sign up, make a good pay check, stay out of the oil field.

If you are from the interior of the US, you have a degree, don't like the border area, DO NOT APPLY HERE. We've had wave after wave of people from the NW, and mid west who come here and think its going to be mayberry and life for your spouse will be amazing, etc. . . its not. Trust me, BPA's are leaving in droves, going to other agencies, and even local agencies, trying to get home. There is next to no mobility here, and don't plan on being all high speed and taking down a dope load everyday. We've ben neutered as of late, we don't do all the high speed stuff we used too. Lots of check point, lots of processing, lots of "sitting on an X".

Again, if the border area is where you want to be, sign up, and bring yourself down. Just don't come here thinking its got the same culture as the rest of the US.
                            he's telling the truth, but his complaints are station dependent. my station doesnt have a checkpoint, so that complaint isn't present here, we have one X in our whole AOR (and one skybox but that's not really an X), so our station doesnt have that complaint. and as far as people going home i think only 3 have left in the last 6 months ive been. not bad considering our station has 400+. 2 of them did it just to get back home (but miss the job, i talk to one of them regularly still), and the other went back to Customs to get home (he was originally customs). but almost everyone at my station loves the station. and our station, you are almost guaranteed a dope load a day if you lay in or work the traffic.

The no mobility is pretty much true. had some super junior guys get to relocate to arizona recently, but they took crappy stations to get home to AZ, but they got it. but yeah youre not going to get to move to a 'better' station, only downgrade unless you have a lot of seniority (and i mean like 15+ years).

his point about living on the border is true. i am lucky and live in a large metropolitan area, so i have no complaints.

basically, as ive said before in this thread, the station you get offered and take absolutely makes or breaks your career. it will drive you to hate your life, or give you a reason to get up everyday. i love my job, and if i was single i would do 25+ years. but my wife wants to get back to the east coast, so i am searching for something else, but am in no rush, and not leaving because i have complaints. it will be a sad day.

Originally posted by kingmanjaro View Post
                            What's the typical schedule for new hires?
                            completely station to station. with the new pay reform going into effect at the end of the year, the national agreement is that standard shifts are 0600-1400 days, 1400-2200 swings, 2200-0600 midnights, but it can still be modified by the station. some stations do shift assignments by seniority (you pick your shift and days off, assigned by seniority), and some are on a rotation that applies to everyone, regardless of time in.

hope all that helps and adds some differing opinions to what others have posted.
                            UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                            "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• I've been in with BP just about 4 yrs.

Let me add my 2 cents since everyone else is.. lol.

It's a great job, but not one you want to do for 25yrs. I have gained plenty of invaluable experience that you cannot get with a local, county, or state LE job. There are Pros and Cons no matter what job you choose in life.

BP is an interesting animal. The job is fun, yet tedious. You can be going nonstop some days from loads, to catching people to doing knock and talks. Depends on you and your station. If you love to work, there is beyond plenty of work to do. Mobility is getting better but it's slow Slow slow.

I moved from the East Coast, it's totally different on the border. If you have a family, you need to prep them and make sure they truly are on board. I suggest visiting the location before if you can. If you are single you'll be fine, don't whine.. it's different down here but it is doable.

Good luck to all you guys in the process. I love my job and wouldn't change anything. I'm hopeful one day I'll get on with another agency close to home, but until then I'm gonna keep having fun at work and gain more experience.

If anyone has questions you can PM and I'll be as honest as possible

Comment

• New announcement, 15-5, closes on the 31st.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9522 users online. 449 members and 9073 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X