Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My results just came back, got a 93. West Texas/New Mexico.
    CBPO: GS-5
    Geo: SW
    Tested: Sep '13
    NOR (79): Oct 28th '13 // Geo changed to SW: Feb 20th '14
    Medical/PFT1 passed: Apr 18th '14 // VBT/SI passed: May 25th '14
    Equip sent: Jun 6th '14 // NOPA: Aug 5th '14
    Poly: Oct 22nd '14 // Met with BI: Dec 18th '14
    The Call: Mar 3rd '15 // Drug Test: Mar 6th '15
    BI Cleared: Mar 3rd '15 // PFT 2: Mar 18th '15
    EOD: Mar 30th '15 // FLETC: 4/23-8/27 '15

Comment

• Originally posted by Phroggy07 View Post
      Test results came back, finally, From the December exam. Anyone know how it's scored? It says I have a 103. I'm hoping that's not out of 200 possible.
      That's either 93 raw with 10 vet points, or 98 raw with 5 vet points.

Comment

• Gotcha. 98+5 then. Thanks

Comment

• New high score? What does that mean? Did I break it?

Haha

104 here. Tested on 08DEC.

So is it out of 100 for Raw Scores?
          "Independent research, reading comprehension, & a firm grasp of reality saves lives."

Comment

• I received my score today for announcement 15-1 and noticed an eligibility expiration date of 7/28/2015. Does this mean they are only going through the 15-1 applicants until 7/28/15 ? I remember they used to have people wait months to over a year for a TSL, and just go from 100 down to 70 on the scores.

Comment

• Originally posted by M8541 Reaper View Post
              New high score? What does that mean? Did I break it?

Haha

104 here. Tested on 08DEC.

So is it out of 100 for Raw Scores?
              I'm gunning for a 110. Got a 1600 on the SAT and a 179 on the LSAT, so 110 here I come. Thanks for holding the fort down for me, Devil Dog.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pi, Esq. View Post
                I would be taking a pay cut… well over $100k. However, due to wise saving strategies, the pay cut, while horrifically large, won't be the that bad because I have no debt and I own my home, so if I have to move, I'll make pure profit on the sale. And, luckily for me, my house has appreciated since I bought it.

As for why, my reasons are relatively simple: I worked as a prosecutor and I really enjoyed it; it was much more fulfilling to see criminals put behind bars, in small part, because of my work. Now, I work white-collar criminal defense cases, all my clients are guilty, and my job is to help them get the best sentence they can get, or, in the off chance the government doesn't have a great case, get them a not guilty verdict. While I enjoy the complexity of my work, the clientele leave much to be desired. I would much rather be proactively going out and preventing/catching criminals than representing them.

As for why an 1811 vs. going back to being a prosecutor: Every day I interacted with 1811's and what they did was more appealing to me. And, I always felt like they were asking me for help on how to write a better warrant, better procedures for how to properly seize evidence, etc. So, I feel like my background and education will make me a great 1811 because I have the legal knowledge and I imagine they will train me on the other stuff.

Also, my job is not really Monday - Friday. I work an average of 60+ hours a week, and during a trial, that number can go up to 90+.

EDIT: Someone asked me the same question in another thread, and I just copied the response from that thread and pasted it here. While the above says 1811, it applies to a BPA position, as well.
                You seem like an intelligent guy, but do you know what life is like as a BPA? I was a BPA for 6 years and I am with an 1811 agency now. Your background makes you WAY overqualified to be a BPA. You will never write an affidavit as a BPA. Nor will you ever deal with anything that even resembles a complex investigation. As a BPA you will catch it, and hand it off to an 1811 agency if it is something that warrants an investigation or complex prosecution. Thats where your role as a BPA will end. You will likely never testify in court or even give a defense interview. I gave one defense interview in the entire time I was with the agency. You will be stuck doing admin deportation/removal cases and running around the desert chasing immigrants. Thats if you don't go to a station full of stationary observation posts.

It can be fun, but nothing the BP does will effectively utilize your skills. The closest you will get to an investigation is being a task force agent for a task force ran by an 1811 agency. It will likely take you over 5 years to get such a position and over 10 years in some places. The most you will ever use your legal knowledge will be writing a narrative justifying a vehicle stop that you made. Thats as advanced as a BPAs legal skills get.

Your supervisors will not respect your background either. In fact, they will be intimidated by it and some will actually despise you for it. You think I'm joking, but its true. You will be seen as the new guy who doesn't know anything. You will be looked down on by senior agents whose only other job experience was working in an autobody shop or McDonalds for the simple fact that they have more time in than you do. No one will care that you were a lawyer, let alone a prosecutor. You may get assigned to the sector prosecutions unit, but they don't do any notable prosecutions, just ferry basic misdemeanors and low level felonies back and forth to court. The Border Patrol isn't an agency that values higher education or makes use of agents with unique skill sets, which you clearly have. Good luck in whatever you choose.
                Last edited by Cyber_Saint; 02-02-2015, 09:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jl692013 View Post
                  I received my score today for announcement 15-1 and noticed an eligibility expiration date of 7/28/2015. Does this mean they are only going through the 15-1 applicants until 7/28/15 ? I remember they used to have people wait months to over a year for a TSL, and just go from 100 down to 70 on the scores.
                  I'm a 15-1 applicant with an eligibility expiration date of 4/28/2015. What was your score? Maybe the varying dates are due to basing applicant groupings upon scores and have something to do with expected processing times?

...or it just means they want to DQ me quicker than you.
                  Last edited by M8541 Reaper; 02-02-2015, 10:29 PM. Reason: stupid auto-correct.
                  "Independent research, reading comprehension, & a firm grasp of reality saves lives."

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyber_Saint View Post
                    You seem like an intelligent guy, but do you know what life is like as a BPA? I was a BPA for 6 years and I am with an 1811 agency now. Your background makes you WAY overqualified to be a BPA. You will never write an affidavit as a BPA. Nor will you ever deal with anything that even resembles a complex investigation. As a BPA you will catch it, and hand it off to an 1811 agency if it is something that warrants an investigation or complex prosecution. Thats where your role as a BPA will end. You will likely never testify in court or even give a defense interview. I gave one defense interview in the entire time I was with the agency. You will be stuck doing admin deportation/removal cases and running around the desert chasing immigrants. Thats if you don't go to a station full of stationary observation posts.

It can be fun, but nothing the BP does will effectively utilize your skills. The closest you will get to an investigation is being a task force agent for a task force ran by an 1811 agency. It will likely take you over 5 years to get such a position and over 10 years in some places. The most you will ever use your legal knowledge will be writing a narrative justifying a vehicle stop that you made. Thats as advanced as a BPAs legal skills get.

Your supervisors will not respect your background either. In fact, they will be intimidated by it and some will actually despise you for it. You think I'm joking, but its true. You will be seen as the new guy who doesn't know anything. You will be looked down on by senior agents whose only other job experience was working in an autobody shop or McDonalds for the simple fact that they have more time in than you do. No one will care that you were a lawyer, let alone a prosecutor. You may get assigned to the sector prosecutions unit, but they don't do any notable prosecutions, just ferry basic misdemeanors and low level felonies back and forth to court. The Border Patrol isn't an agency that values higher education or makes use of agents with unique skill sets, which you clearly have. Good luck in whatever you choose.
                    Come on, you don't have to be so pessimistic.

Border Patrol is a good 'ENTRY LEVEL' federal law enforcement position for those without any law enforcement experience. BP is what you make it. It can be a good exciting career, or it can be a miserably boring job. I worked for over 5 years as a Deputy Sheriff before joining Border Patrol, and it surprised me a lot just how little BPAs do in comparison to police officers or deputies. It also surprised me how there are these really talented agents with special skills earned in other careers or in the military, and those skills would not be put to use by the agency in areas where needed because those agents didn't have enough seniority.

The good news is that since you don't have to use your mind much on the job, you can use it more off the job. I earned my Masters degree while working as a BPA.

btw, congratulations on your move to an 1811 position. I'm at one of those places where it takes 10 years to get a TFO position, so trying to get that sort of experience within Border Patrol is a losing battle.
                    Last edited by Albert Wesker; 02-02-2015, 11:21 PM.
                    Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

• Ok, I think you just answered my question. I think it will take up till July to get a TSL. Sine you scored higher, you have a shorter wait. I scored an 84, I am just thankful of passing after several of my answers were deleted and I had a race with time. Good luck to you, we are on for a very lengthy process.

Comment

• Pi, Esq.

I don't understand why you want to take 10 steps back by being a BP Agent. It's like someone on SEAL Team 6 saying they want to be a TSA Screener. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

I'm sure there are state or local LE agencies that would pick you up. Did you ever consider that route?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pi, Esq. View Post
                          I'm gunning for a 110. Got a 1600 on the SAT and a 179 on the LSAT, so 110 here I come. Thanks for holding the fort down for me, Devil Dog.
                          A 179, Holy ****! I hope you got a full ride to Yale/Harvard/Stanford with that.
                          Did you self study for the LSAT, or did you take a course? I will be taking it again after a quite disappointing score the first time.

Also took the BPA Entrance exam, happy as y'all are to have finally gotten the results back.

Comment

• Originally posted by jl692013 View Post
                            Good luck to you, we are on for a very lengthy process.
                            Same to you!

Originally posted by hangman View Post
                            Pi, Esq.
                            I don't understand why you want to take 10 steps back by being a BP Agent. It's like someone on SEAL Team 6 saying they want to be a TSA Screener.
                            Hey... Someone has to clean the submarine's windshields!

Comment

• Originally posted by hangman View Post
                              Pi, Esq.

I don't understand why you want to take 10 steps back by being a BP Agent. It's like someone on SEAL Team 6 saying they want to be a TSA Screener. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

I'm sure there are state or local LE agencies that would pick you up. Did you ever consider that route?
                              While I appreciate your opinion, you are missing a few things. One, let's assume I don't care about money, and my only desire is to go back to protecting and serving, but I don't want to go back to having Marines salute me. If money is not an issue, than any FLEO job makes more sense to me if my ultimate goal is to become an 1811. BPA could be a good stepping stone, and if not, I believe in their mission, so working there until I retire wouldn't be a problem for me. The problem I have with local agencies is they too readily want to pigeonhole me into a desk job that utilizes my pre-existing skill sets, rather than train me and provide me new skills. The major local PD in my area basically told me that if I accept the job, I'll go to the academy, and immediately upon graduation I'll be put into a fraud unit. While that is nice of them, I can only imagine the disgust the other officers would have for me, given that they had to serve three years in patrol before being moved into a new job, and it would defeat the purpose of joining a local PD: learning how to be a cop by serving on patrol. Also, Michigan State Police have ridiculous looking cars, and I can't be looking like a tool driving one of them.

Comment

• Pi, Esq

Do you realize BP and DHS in general is nothing but a political "football"? Years ago, BPAs were allowed to do their jobs. Now, you are nothing more than a glorified security guard at the border.

Also, being a BPA doesn't really enhance your resume. Sign cutting and watching an X aren't really highly sought after skills that 1811 gigs are dying to get. What makes you think that being a BPA will somehow make it easier to get an 1811 gig? There are tons of BPAs that have applied for 1811 gigs only to be turned down.

All I have to say is good luck! You're going to need it....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7525 users online. 338 members and 7187 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X