Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I take it you were a Border Patrol Agent? If so, for how long?
    "Never look down on somebody unless you're helping them up."

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 06-22-2016, 04:08 AM.

Comment

• Thank you SHU for your input. Now is this a sincere attitude that is shared by others or just one person beginning to hate the politics and job? I don't mean to degrade your opinion but I too have been in a job that I said was utter crap and turns out it wasn't really that bad, just an "at the time" hate for it. Most jobs have people that say it sucks but is this one of those or is it really going to hell in a handbasket.

Some other opinions would be much appreciated considering most of the posts I have read people love this job but then again that was not an as of recent opinion as SHU has just shared.
        Military Police Regular Army '09-'12 Reserve from '12-current

Comment

• Originally posted by MP to LEO View Post
          Thank you SHU for your input. Now is this a sincere attitude that is shared by others or just one person beginning to hate the politics and job? I don't mean to degrade your opinion but I too have been in a job that I said was utter crap and turns out it wasn't really that bad, just an "at the time" hate for it. Most jobs have people that say it sucks but is this one of those or is it really going to hell in a handbasket.

Some other opinions would be much appreciated considering most of the posts I have read people love this job but then again that was not an as of recent opinion as SHU has just shared.
          I was a little worried when I read SHUs response. But my question to him is, why is he still in the same job since 2008 if its that bad...?

Comment

• FYI, entrance exam invitations for 15-1 are going out. I just received mine. Scheduling begins November 24, 2014.

Comment

• Great.. do you have to travel far?

Comment

• I just received my invite as well...I have another exam scheduled for CBPO and in the assessment console it populated several locations (community colleges) about >20 miles from where I live. I am hoping BPA assessment follows the same procedure...

Do BP agents generally get stuck in small border towns in the middle of no where for their first couple years?

Comment

• Originally posted by pinarsu View Post
                  Great.. do you have to travel far?
                  I don't know yet. For the CBPO 14-2 exam I had to travel an hour away. There were other testing centers closer to me, but they were full (possibly for other types of testing).

Comment

• Did you guys get the invites via Email?
                    Military Police Regular Army '09-'12 Reserve from '12-current

Comment

• I didn't get it yet.

Comment

• I just received the exam scheduling email.
                        CBPO: GS-5
                        Geo: SW
                        Tested: Sep '13
                        NOR (79): Oct 28th '13 // Geo changed to SW: Feb 20th '14
                        Medical/PFT1 passed: Apr 18th '14 // VBT/SI passed: May 25th '14
                        Equip sent: Jun 6th '14 // NOPA: Aug 5th '14
                        Poly: Oct 22nd '14 // Met with BI: Dec 18th '14
                        The Call: Mar 3rd '15 // Drug Test: Mar 6th '15
                        BI Cleared: Mar 3rd '15 // PFT 2: Mar 18th '15
                        EOD: Mar 30th '15 // FLETC: 4/23-8/27 '15

Comment

• I didn't yet

Comment

• I haven't gotten anything yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by joseph_dimaggio537 View Post
                              I was a little worried when I read SHUs response. But my question to him is, why is he still in the same job since 2008 if its that bad...?
                              for the same reason most people stay. i love the patrol, but i would still rather go be a local PD cop back home, since ill never get home with the patrol (BP isnt in that state). that reason people stay is the pay. if i went home to my local PD, i would be taking a literal 50% pay cut. after our AUO and incentive pay, i would seriously be a 65% reduction in pay. plus i would start paying state income tax which i dont now, there's another 10% gone. plus the x2 cost of living back home. they hook you with the pay.

im from the south east though which is notorious for low pay for cops. we have lost a lot of guys going back to local PD at home in AZ and CA since all their agencies seem to pay 60K base, so why not go home?

Originally posted by SHU View Post
                              If you are looking for some honest advice, find some good local departments in areas that you would like to live and apply. Forget about the Patrol. Our management is the absolute worst in the government. They only care about their bonus check. Nobody wants us to do our job, especially our management. They are always worried we are going to **** somebody off by doing our job. Worried it might hurt their next bonus check and/or promotion. And heaven forbid if you have to use force now. You could be getting biblical stoned by ten bodies with basketball sized rocks from the south side and IA will crawl up your *** for years trying to prosecute you or get you fired if you use force. Just so they job can look good for the ACLU. This job has become awful. I cannot stress this enough. This job is a dead end with no career path whatsoever. You will never get a good transfer. You will most likely be stuck in third world sheethole border towns for years and years. In some of these places everyone hates your guts. And not just your guts but your wife and kids guts as well. And they are not quiet about it either. Places where the education and healthcare are third world. Look elsewhere because this job is a dead end.
                              all fair points. its all about your station. and then furthermore, your shift. i love my station and my shift's supervisors and brass. but id hate to move to one of the other two shifts, based on what i hear.

the use of force thing is true, it is always looming over a PA's head, that if you do something, you will suffer, and god forbid in the moment you make your decision, it is a 99.5% black and white, but there is .5% gray; that .5% gray might cost you. we arent like Texas DPS troopers or other agencies where they back them up no matter what, within the law.

id say go for it. you join and dont like it? quit. it isnt the military, you dont owe them anything. the experience will only help you in future endeavors.
                              UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                              "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• Originally posted by MP to LEO View Post
                                Did you guys get the invites via Email?
                                Yes via email.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7402 users online. 353 members and 7049 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X