Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep in mind that if you are hired, there will literally be a legion of people ahead of you in terms of seniority, probably for the rest of your career. Seniority is everything in the patrol. Those fun assignments, the cool details, the good shifts, the best days off. Seniority is literally everything. The problem is that Border Patrol added more than 10,000 new agents during the big hiring push. A lot of those agents are still in their 20's. If you are joining the patrol now, look forward to a lackluster career where no matter how hard you work, you will forever be relegated to crap because your star number is too low.
    Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

• Originally posted by Albert Wesker View Post
      Keep in mind that if you are hired, there will literally be a legion of people ahead of you in terms of seniority, probably for the rest of your career. Seniority is everything in the patrol. Those fun assignments, the cool details, the good shifts, the best days off. Seniority is literally everything. The problem is that Border Patrol added more than 10,000 new agents during the big hiring push. A lot of those agents are still in their 20's. If you are joining the patrol now, look forward to a lackluster career where no matter how hard you work, you will forever be relegated to crap because your star number is too low.
      verdad. the DMT and union supposedly make it fair, but what theyve been doing in our sector is changing the details themselves. MRT used to always be two years since EOD to apply. mayn guys in my class were looking forward to it when our two years came. and they would have a good shot, since they have no detail history and are at the top of the list.

So what did our sector do?

to keep MRT an 'old boys club' they simply upped the minimum time in to 3 years AND must have your GL12/journeyman status for a year. so that essentially makes it a 4 or 5 years in requirement. almost all the details here are the same, even if not as drastic. the easiest ones to get into went from two years in (since EOD) to two years since arrival at station (post FLETC). which isnt necessarily a bad thing, but just another way to keep new guys out.

i've turned down some offers and am debating on flying to DC to test for another agency. the pay is how they keep you in the patrol, because it is insanely good. despite that we have a lot of guys leaving who have been in barely 2 years. many already did, back to OFO or wherever they came from.
      and i heard they got rid of the 6 month pay raise they've had forever. basically you'd get a raise to the next grade after six months, more or less after you arrive to the station from the academy. GL5 to 7, or GL7 to 9. but now it is a year wait.

that being said, i love the job. it's badass. but when it's bad, its demoralizing and unenjoyable.

theres no reason not to take the job if you get offered it and have nothing else going on, and see what you think. it's not like the military; you can leave anytime. if you like it, well youre in. or stick around, get some time in, and apply elsewhere.
      UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
      "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• Originally posted by Corio92 View Post
        What Geo did you apply to? And also, this is for Border Patrol Agent and not CBP officer, correct? What were your exam results?
        That's correct, its for Border Patrol Agent, I scored 90%, southwest geo location.
        Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

"Abraham Lincoln"

Comment

• Border Patrol Agent- application 2/20/2013
          Written exam - 3/20/2013 (90%)
          N.O.R.S. - 5/17/2013
          TSL - 6/9/2014
          Interview- 7/22/2014
          Polygraph??
          BI??
          PFT 1??
          PFT 2??
          Offer??
          Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

"Abraham Lincoln"

Comment

• Hmm they did my pft 1 right away. But you're getting close. 2 years seems to be the approximate time recently. Keep in mind, at least for my class, the polygraph pft2 background finishing and offer were all within a week. Me for example they gave me an offer a week before my entrance on duty date half way across the country. And within that week I had to do poly and also drive two states away for the pft2. So I had five business days to basically quit my current life, and four of those were spent driving to fulfill the above listed things. So just be prepared to stop drop and quit your life.
            All worth it but just a fair warning heads up

honor first

Comment

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post
              Hmm they did my pft 1 right away. But you're getting close. 2 years seems to be the approximate time recently. Keep in mind, at least for my class, the polygraph pft2 background finishing and offer were all within a week. Me for example they gave me an offer a week before my entrance on duty date half way across the country. And within that week I had to do poly and also drive two states away for the pft2. So I had five business days to basically quit my current life, and four of those were spent driving to fulfill the above listed things. So just be prepared to stop drop and quit your life.
              all sounds very exciting.

Comment

verdad. the DMT and union supposedly make it fair, but what theyve been doing in our sector is changing the details themselves. MRT used to always be two years since EOD to apply. mayn guys in my class were looking forward to it when our two years came. and they would have a good shot, since they have no detail history and are at the top of the list.

So what did our sector do?

to keep MRT an 'old boys club' they simply upped the minimum time in to 3 years AND must have your GL12/journeyman status for a year. so that essentially makes it a 4 or 5 years in requirement. almost all the details here are the same, even if not as drastic. the easiest ones to get into went from two years in (since EOD) to two years since arrival at station (post FLETC). which isnt necessarily a bad thing, but just another way to keep new guys out.

i've turned down some offers and am debating on flying to DC to test for another agency. the pay is how they keep you in the patrol, because it is insanely good. despite that we have a lot of guys leaving who have been in barely 2 years. many already did, back to OFO or wherever they came from.
                and i heard they got rid of the 6 month pay raise they've had forever. basically you'd get a raise to the next grade after six months, more or less after you arrive to the station from the academy. GL5 to 7, or GL7 to 9. but now it is a year wait.

that being said, i love the job. it's badass. but when it's bad, its demoralizing and unenjoyable.

theres no reason not to take the job if you get offered it and have nothing else going on, and see what you think. it's not like the military; you can leave anytime. if you like it, well youre in. or stick around, get some time in, and apply elsewhere.
                I never would have thought that after so many years I would still be near the bottom of seniority and unable to get details, training, days off, or my desired shift. I also am "voluntold" to do a lot of crap due to being low in seniority. They haven't hired new agents at my station in over 3 years.
                Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

Hmm they did my pft 1 right away. But you're getting close. 2 years seems to be the approximate time recently. Keep in mind, at least for my class, the polygraph pft2 background finishing and offer were all within a week. Me for example they gave me an offer a week before my entrance on duty date half way across the country. And within that week I had to do poly and also drive two states away for the pft2. So I had five business days to basically quit my current life, and four of those were spent driving to fulfill the above listed things. So just be prepared to stop drop and quit your life.
                  Sounds good, thank you! I hope so, I'm really looking forward to getting in!

"Abraham Lincoln"

Comment

• Thanks for the insight!

"Abraham Lincoln"

Comment

• Some information I thought I would share with everyone regarding how long I've been in the process.

BP Agent GEO: CALIFORNIA
                      Written Test: 11/29/10
                      NOR: 01/21/11 Passed(89%).
                      TSL 1: 07/11/11
                      e-Qip: 07/20/11
                      TSL 2: 07/28/11
                      Med/PTF1: 8/10/2011 Passed
                      OB: 10/26/2011 Passed
                      BI Interview: 10/13/2011
                      Background: (in security office)
                      Drug test: ?
                      Polygraph: 6/09/14 (passed according to investigator, but no green check in cass)
                      Last edited by dcvingeklipz99; 07-21-2014, 01:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dcvingeklipz99 View Post
                        Some information I thought I would share with everyone regarding how long I've been in the process.

BP Agent GEO: CALIFORNIA
                        Written Test: 11/29/10
                        NOR: 01/21/11 Passed(89%).
                        TSL 1: 07/11/11
                        e-Qip: 07/20/11
                        TSL 2: 07/28/11
                        Med/PTF1: 8/10/2011 Passed
                        OB: 10/26/2011 Passed
                        BI Interview: 10/13/2011
                        Background: (in security office)
                        Drug test: ?
                        Polygraph: 6/09/14 (passed according to investigator, but no green check in cass)
                        damn that long, seems like something is wrong. but if you passed polygraph, youll likely get your call very soon

honor first

Comment

• I had a few classmates who have tried MJ and they disclosed and had no problems. As long as your honest and its past the time it really doesn't hurt you. Just put it down and when the poly comes up shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

• Alright passed interview! On to the next step.

Border Patrol Agent- application- 2/20/2013
                            Written exam - 3/20/2013
                            N.O.R.S. - 5/17/2013
                            TSL - 6/9/2014
                            OB Interview- 7/22/2014 Passed
                            Polygraph??
                            BI??
                            PFT 1??
                            PFT 2??
                            Offer??

"Abraham Lincoln"

Comment

• 1000 TX national guard troops to the border to fill skyboxes and hard Xs , sweet

honor first

Comment

damn that long, seems like something is wrong. but if you passed polygraph, youll likely get your call very soon
                                I had a rough upbringing where local PD kept telling me to reapply in 6 months after I turn my packets in. The fact that I even got a poly surprises me. But I remain hopeful....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5669 users online. 313 members and 5356 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X