Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KC0072 View Post
    Hello, I have a question if anyone can kindly shed some insight for me,

I originally applied for a position as a Border Patrol Agent (only having the option of selecting the south west region or the east) back in August of 2011 and passed "the test" October 21st 2011 with a score of 73. I received the tentative selection letter in late January 2013 and turned in everything requested of me. The only thing I have yet to have marked "completed" on the CASS website is the Background investigation and drug screening....

How long does the Background process really take? I have only submitted the SF-86 so far, nothing else happened regarding the BI.

Also, what else can I expect in the BI process? what kind of questions (if allowed to disclose) will they ask on the polly?

Thanks.
    I joined the Patrol 5 years ago and the background process took me about 13 months. It probably took longer because I was overseas for a good portion of my military career. Your BI will dig deep into your credit and your past associates. He or she will ask about debt to income ratio and your allegiance to the United States. Most of the BI will involve neighbors, teachers, friends, relatives and employers the BI wants to gauge if your a safe investment for the US.

Comment

• Your secret clearance can and most likely will be honored once you're in. I work intelligence and those of us who had previous secret clearances from DOD or DHS were given our clearance. It is under the dicretion of your A-Chief though. And no your BI will not necessarily help you move along faster. CBP will conduct a complete BI on you. Yes you will be taking a polygrapgh and good luck with that I have no idea what that entails because they are relatively new to the Patrol.

Comment

• I grew up all of my life in Chula Vista and Imperial Beach until I joined the Patrol. I was hoping to get stationed in SD but ended up in LRT. Before I joined the patrol, i made significantly less money than I do now and still lived in a middle class neighborhood of CV. I went to high school at Hilltop where there were some cholos but not many. Most of the students there were just pot head surfers or jocks. CV has it's bad areas but it also has it's good ones as well. What I'm getting at is I lived just fine making less because I didnt live outside of my means. I purchased a condo with my wife and I had a used car with a payment under $300 a month. When I joined the Patrol my income increased significantly and I was fortunate enough to buy a bigger home and a newer vehicle for my wife and I but we never got to the point where we had to depend on AUO. I know AUO was promised to us when we joined but some of the old timers made it very clear that it can and will be taken away someday so to use your AUO as a savings platform. Now I sympathize with our fellow agents problems and I'm not throwing stones here but every agent in the Patrol needs to recognize that AUO is not always going to be there, our base pay is decent and we can livo off of it even in SD. The best advice I can give to the SD agents is treat AUO as your savings and never rely on it to pay bills if you can. Hopefully SD has a Border Patrol Families community like we do here in Texas whenever an agent is in need the BP community comes together to help out as much as possible. Good luck and stay safe.

Comment

• My timeline was similar to yours. I received the TSL letter last January as well, I withdrew my application because I got hired by a local agency. I already waited too long. Good luck!
          Go wildcats!

Comment

• http://appropriations.house.gov/news...umentID=366950 ...So does this mean the process will speed up?

Comment

• Originally posted by KC0072 View Post
              http://appropriations.house.gov/news...umentID=366950 ...So does this mean the process will speed up?
              Did you actually read the legislation? Almost all of the new funding is going to OFO. They plan on hiring 2000 new CBPOs next year and expanding the San Ysidro POE. Border Patrol might actually face cuts. Though congress does want to maintain staffing at current levels. So we will only be hiring for attrition.
              Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

• Originally posted by Albert Wesker View Post
                Did you actually read the legislation? Almost all of the new funding is going to OFO. They plan on hiring 2000 new CBPOs next year and expanding the San Ysidro POE. Border Patrol might actually face cuts. Though congress does want to maintain staffing at current levels. So we will only be hiring for attrition.
                The way I read it is that Border Patrol is going to need to hire 2,000 agents this year to keep up with attrition. If I had a nickel for every guy at my station who took the test for CBPO, my paycheck would look the same as when I had 25% AUO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyber_Saint View Post
                  The way I read it is that Border Patrol is going to need to hire 2,000 agents this year to keep up with attrition. If I had a nickel for every guy at my station who took the test for CBPO, my paycheck would look the same as when I had 25% AUO.
                  The way I am reading it is that BP will keep the same number of agents, but there are no guarantees on overtime (AUO). Also just from the stuff I have seen here in Tucson sector, it looks like the training, and travel budgets are still down to almost nothing. I just did quals a few days ago, and literally after the quals, and refilling my magazines, we were given nothing extra to practice shooting. Now, I understand that the old days of getting several extra boxes of ammo (or more) are over, but giving us absolutely nothing to practice in our free time doesn't exactly help us build the skills to become better.
                  What is Perseverance?
                  -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                  -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                  -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-01-2019, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHU View Post
                      We can all forget about getting a VRP under the current regime. Maybe three years from now. Maybe.
                      Honestly, our budget would be fine if Congress didn't have that idiotic arbitrary number of 21,370 BPAs that they require us to have. If we could go a couple of years without hiring, cut down to 18-19,000 agents, then we would have more money for VRPs, more money for training, more money for everything.
                      What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• Was driving through Beaumont/Banning/Yucipia California and saw a BPA sitting on the side of the road in his SUV. Wondering what was he doing so far from the border? Pretty cool to see tho.

Comment

• Originally posted by RyanWasleyGB View Post
                          Was driving through Beaumont/Banning/Yucipia California and saw a BPA sitting on the side of the road in his SUV. Wondering what was he doing so far from the border? Pretty cool to see tho.
                          Looking on a map, I can tell you that there is a Border Patrol station near the area (about 40 miles away) in Murrieta. Agents from that station may have been working in that area. Keep in mind that we have national jurisdiction. We are limited only by policy to areas directly around the Border.

My station is 70 miles north of the Border, and our AOR extends over 100 miles north of the border. There isn't any border at all in our AOR. We have had agencies in our AOR come across people with questionable immigration status very far north and we have to respond.

Also look at some Border Patrol stations like Albuquerque, Dallas, San Antonio, etc. that are really far away from the border compared to even my station.
                          What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                            Looking on a map, I can tell you that there is a Border Patrol station near the area (about 40 miles away) in Murrieta. Agents from that station may have been working in that area. Keep in mind that we have national jurisdiction. We are limited only by policy to areas directly around the Border.

My station is 70 miles north of the Border, and our AOR extends over 100 miles north of the border. There isn't any border at all in our AOR. We have had agencies in our AOR come across people with questionable immigration status very far north and we have to respond.

Also look at some Border Patrol stations like Albuquerque, Dallas, San Antonio, etc. that are really far away from the border compared to even my station.
                            very cool
                            thanks for the answer.

Comment

• Does BP use their own Poly's or do they reuse the one from the CBPO process? I took the poly for CBPO and was wondering if BP will reuse it or make me take a new one?

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-01-2019, 10:07 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10163 users online. 492 members and 9671 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X