Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well my reactivation is complete. I received another tentative offer along with a nice thick packet of forms to complete AGAIN.

While I was going through my SF86, I noticed it has changed a little bit. Since all of my previous jobs fall within the Other category, they want me to "Explain". However, I am not sure what they want me to say. Any suggestions?

Even though I have received a tentative offer, I cannot access CASS. I hope MHC is just backed up with other applicants. How long do you think I should wait before I let them know I cannot access CASS?
    BPA Status
    TSU: 04/24/09
    EOD: 10/12/09, Sierra Blanca, TX
    Resigned: 10/28/09
    Reapplied: 07/29/11
    NOR: 08/24/11, 5 & 7 @ 93 (no Vet pref)
    TSL1: 12/16/11, forms sent
    PFT1: scheduled for 02/03/12
    Oral Board: scheduled for 02/03/12

CBPO Status
    Applied: 06/24/11
    Written: 07/21/11
    NOR: 08/30/11, 5 & 7 @ 94 (no Vet pref)

Comment

• This may sound stupid...

For those of us that have NEVER done drugs, is the Border Patrol going to think that we're full of it? I'm saying this because a few years back I applied to a local law enforcement agency to become a cadet and they basically called me out as a bullsh1ter. I was given a polygraph and of course passed but later withdrew myself from the process.

I know the Border Patrol is not implementing the polygraph as a standard measure when hiring applicants but are you likely to get one if you're one of those that has never experiment with that kind of crap? I guess what I'm trying to ask is, will they freak out if they come across an applicant who is honest and has no previous drug use?
      Last edited by AlcatrazT2; 12-10-2008, 05:09 AM.
      United States Border Patrol
      08/2009 - Tentative Scheduling Unit.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlcatrazT2 View Post
        This may sound stupid...

For those of us that have NEVER done drugs, is the Border Patrol going to think that we're full of it? I'm saying this because a few years back I applied to a local law enforcement agency to become a cadet and they basically called me out as a bullsh1ter. I was given a polygraph and of course passed but later withdrew myself from the process.

I know the Border Patrol is not implementing the polygraph as a standard measure when hiring applicants but are you likely to get one if you're one of those that has never experiment with that kind of crap? I guess what I'm trying to ask is, will they freak out if they come across an applicant who is honest and has no previous drug use?
        I don't think anyone here knows what triggers taking a poly. If you don't take a poly, you might get a raised eyebrow from your background investigator when it comes to that question, but that should be it. (Agents themselves won't be asking you about your drug history.)

Regarding one of your earlier posts, be careful in choosing to take the Spanish portion of the test. I have studied a lot more Spanish than you and took the practice test in the booklet and didn't miss a question. However, I found the actual Spanish test to be more difficult than I expected.

I passed but I don't know my score. Maybe I squeaked by or maybe I did well. But since I certainly would have passed the ALT test, I was an unnecessary risk to take the Spanish test. I don't think a year of Spanish in college is enough.
        Last edited by Tirofijo; 12-10-2008, 08:55 AM.

Comment

This may sound stupid...

You don't sound stupid at all. No, you won't be called out for not having ever used drugs. I wasn't. I know many Agents who have never partaken. I see this as a good thing. Less temptation.

As previously mentioned, what triggers having to take the polygraph is unknown.

I've been told by native speakers of Spanish that the Spanish portion of the test is difficult. I'd recommend taking the ALT.

Comment

• Originally posted by Solohammer View Post
            I've been told by native speakers of Spanish that the Spanish portion of the test is difficult. I'd recommend taking the ALT.
            When I took the test, they split the room into two. I'd say 70% of the room took the Spanish proficiency, 30% the ALT. After we got the scores, almost all of the people that didn't pass were from the Spanish Proficiency side. Basically unless you are a native speaker or have it down cold, you're probably better off with the ALT.
            "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• Originally posted by Tirofijo View Post
              Regarding one of your earlier posts, be careful in choosing to take the Spanish portion of the test. I have studied a lot more Spanish than you and took the practice test in the booklet and didn't miss a question. However, I found the actual Spanish test to be more difficult than I expected.
              So the Spanish test is voluntary? If so, you're right, I shouldn't take the test because I don't know much. I don't have many days left to study for the test. I applied on the 9th and was given a test date on the 29th. Would it look better if I did take the Spanish test? I really want to become a BPA and will even hire a tutor for the time being. Thanks for mentioning this my friend.

Originally posted by Solohammer View Post
              You don't sound stupid at all. No, you won't be called out for not having ever used drugs. I wasn't. I know many Agents who have never partaken. I see this as a good thing. Less temptation.

As previously mentioned, what triggers having to take the polygraph is unknown.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.
              Last edited by AlcatrazT2; 12-10-2008, 03:18 PM.

Comment

• It won't look any better or worse. You'll get a score. Above 70 is passing. No mention is made of whether you took the ALT or the SPT.

The next time Spanish comes into play is when your language skills are evaluated at the Academy. If you pass that test, you don't have to take the Spanish Immersion Course. If you don't, then you do.

Comment

• Originally posted by quannj View Post
                  well my general discharge from the national guard..being fired 3 times in my life and i assume someone said something negative but i'm not really sure..

this is my third time failing to get on(law enforcement)i dont think i can go though another state or fed process so i'm ending my chase for the badge, if i wait the time the AD suggested (2-3 yrs) i'll be in my early 30's so i just going to lock my dream away in a federal reserve grade safe

Looks like i'm dish network til i die
                  Wow man sorry to hear. Good luck in whatever you do Honestly wish you the best.

Originally posted by Section8 View Post
                  Well my reactivation is complete. I received another tentative offer along with a nice thick packet of forms to complete AGAIN.

While I was going through my SF86, I noticed it has changed a little bit. Since all of my previous jobs fall within the Other category, they want me to "Explain". However, I am not sure what they want me to say. Any suggestions?

Even though I have received a tentative offer, I cannot access CASS. I hope MHC is just backed up with other applicants. How long do you think I should wait before I let them know I cannot access CASS?

Ugh bad news for me, Imma have to fill all of that....AGAIN??

Yes CASS is having problems, I am in the process for IEA and have not been able to access it and my TO was back in November. Dallas hiring center, which handles IEA is so NOT organized its actually annoying.
                  Call as soon as you can MHC so get you access, remember if you fail to submit the forms by the deadline you will be dropped

Good Luck

Originally posted by Tirofijo View Post
                  I don't think anyone here knows what triggers taking a poly. If you don't take a poly, you might get a raised eyebrow from your background investigator when it comes to that question, but that should be it. (Agents themselves won't be asking you about your drug history.)

I passed but I don't know my score. Maybe I squeaked by or maybe I did well. But since I certainly would have passed the ALT test, I was an unnecessary risk to take the Spanish test. I don't think a year of Spanish in college is enough.
                  For you people (native english speakers) is it easier to take the ALT test?? Really? from what I saw in the booklet it looked hard as Hell

Originally posted by AlcatrazT2 View Post
                  So the Spanish test is voluntary? If so, you're right, I shouldn't take the test because I don't know much. I don't have many days left to study for the test. I applied on the 9th and was given a test date on the 29th. Would it look better if I did take the Spanish test? I really want to become a BPA and will even hire a tutor for the time being. Thanks for mentioning this my friend.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.
                  Yes you have a choice Spanish or artificial language test. and what they want to measure with this is not your understanding of spanish, it's your capability of understanding a foreign language, which would make you qualified for the class at the academy. so taking the ALT will not look bad.
                  The tutor might still be a good idea, if you pass the test on the 29th, you might want to start learning spanish so when you get to the academy you have some knowledge

Good Luck Sir
                  BPA:
                  Written Test: Passed (97%)
                  Reactivated Feb 09
                  Pre-Employment Forms: Completed
                  Qualifications: Qualified GL-7
                  Medical Exam: Completed
                  Drug Test: Completed
                  Fitness: Completed
                  Oral Board: Completedhttp://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6315/dancing.gif
                  Background Investigation: Completed

IEA ICE
                  Written Test: Passed (80% )
                  Oral Interview: Passed 07/14/09
                  Paperwork Sent In And No Idea When I'll Get An Answer

Comment

• Ok, I'm looking over at all of the ALT material in the booklet and it's scaring the living crap out of me. It's confusing as ****!

I understand that the vocabulary list and rules will be given. Will the examples under each rule be available too or are they eliminated during the test?

Comment

Ok, I'm looking over at all of the ALT material in the booklet and it's scaring the living crap out of me. It's confusing as ****!

I understand that the vocabulary list and rules will be given. Will the examples under each rule be available too or are they eliminated during the test?
                      I don't remember (took it way too long ago), but I think there are examples. Here's my advice to you.

Get this:http://www.amazon.com/Border-Patrol-...8986165&sr=8-2

I believe this is the study guide that honorfirst recommends. I grabbed it, and it was VERY helpful because of it's mini 'practice tests' I feel like I sailed through the ALT portion, and it helped me a lot on the reasoning portion (where I felt like I needed the most work). I scored in the 90s, and I think this book greatly helped me with that. Good luck.

Comment

Ok, I'm looking over at all of the ALT material in the booklet and it's scaring the living crap out of me. It's confusing as ****!

Told You So

If a berklem is a female dog and a berkleffen is a baby female dog.....blah blah....It scared the crap out of me too. before I read the rules where it said YOU EITHER TAKE SPANISH OR ALT...I was like Damn Im never passing this haha
                        BPA:
                        Written Test: Passed (97%)
                        Reactivated Feb 09
                        Pre-Employment Forms: Completed
                        Qualifications: Qualified GL-7
                        Medical Exam: Completed
                        Drug Test: Completed
                        Fitness: Completed
                        Oral Board: Completedhttp://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6315/dancing.gif
                        Background Investigation: Completed

IEA ICE
                        Written Test: Passed (80% )
                        Oral Interview: Passed 07/14/09
                        Paperwork Sent In And No Idea When I'll Get An Answer

Comment

The ALT will provide examples. As the instructions state, the actual test is very similar to the practice test. Thus, study the practice ALT. Even though you may get most of the questions wrong the first time, make sure you read their answers and understand why you messed up. Eventually it will make sense.
                          BPA Status
                          TSU: 04/24/09
                          EOD: 10/12/09, Sierra Blanca, TX
                          Resigned: 10/28/09
                          Reapplied: 07/29/11
                          NOR: 08/24/11, 5 & 7 @ 93 (no Vet pref)
                          TSL1: 12/16/11, forms sent
                          PFT1: scheduled for 02/03/12
                          Oral Board: scheduled for 02/03/12

CBPO Status
                          Applied: 06/24/11
                          Written: 07/21/11
                          NOR: 08/30/11, 5 & 7 @ 94 (no Vet pref)

Comment

• I have so far passed everything and just waiting on the background to go through. But I was wondering, I am 20 years old so does that mean they are going to have to put me somewhere until I am 21, referring to duty weapons?

Comment

• Originally posted by TXCountySheriff View Post
                              I have so far passed everything and just waiting on the background to go through. But I was wondering, I am 20 years old so does that mean they are going to have to put me somewhere until I am 21, referring to duty weapons?
                              Last night I was looking at all the vacancies regarding a minimum age requirement, and I couldn't find one. So as far as I'm concerned, you should be fine. If you want further clarification you should shoot MHC an email asking them.

Comment

• I have seen 18 year olds here at ART. I would not be worried about it if I were you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5626 users online. 395 members and 5231 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X