Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• that goes with just about every agency

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-01-2019, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHU View Post
        But some agencies look out for their people. They care about the future of job and the mission. The USBP is full of people who could care less about anything other than themselves and their next promotion. The job has become a wasteland.

And all current PAs, be prepared for the coming drop to 15%.
        I stopped working AUO a few months back. I probably will be at 10% soon. So much less stress when you no longer have to worry about AUO. Heck and even at base pay, I make over $70,000/year. If I can't pay my bills making that much, especially here in Arizona, then my problem is poor money management. If they told me AUO was gone tomorrow, I could care less. To tell the truth I enjoy the extra 2 hours of free time every day far more than I enjoyed the money.
        What is Perseverance?
        -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
        -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
        -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• /....................
          Last edited by SHU; 07-01-2019, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• who can I email to find out my score?

Comment

I think you would feel very differently about that if you were trying to raise a family in San Diego county.
              No I wouldn't, anyone can live within their means, maybe I won't have a 3000 square foot house, but I will get by just fine. I would live the same lifestyle if I was in AZ, CA, or back in KC. That means that I would live below my means, save and invest my extra income, and try to enjoy my life outside of work. Money alone can't solve your problems.
              What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-01-2019, 10:10 PM.

Comment

A lack of money can certainly create problems. Real estate, in non gang infested areas, goes for around 250 dollars a square ft on average so PAs do not live in 3000 sq ft houses unless their spouse is making serious bucks. Where I live it can go as high as 275 sq ft. I rent a 600 sq ft apartment. It costs me 1100 a month. All of my neighbors are section 8. Due to the real estate prices I listed above I cannot afford to buy a home. But in some ways I'm one of the lucky ones.

One of my friends bought a 1400 sq ft home on a 4000 ft lot last year. The home cost him 390k. He was lucky to win the bid and beat out the all cash flippers. His wife was in her final year of nursing school when they bought the home. Four months after they closed on the home his wife was diagnosed with MS. She cannot work now. His pay check is all the have left and it just got cut by 7%. At 15% AUO it will get cut by another 7%. He has a lot of medical bills and sleepless nights. They have two kids, 2 and 5 year old.

You may not care about his situation because you will be fine with no AUO. Maybe, just maybe, stop focusing on yourself for a moment and think about how this will affect others. I work with that PA with the sick wife and I care about his situation. Financially they could decertify me tomorrow and I'd make it but my buddy with the sick wife would not. A lot of other PAs here in SDC have situations like my buddy with sick wives, kids, parents who will be in a real bad way if we get cut. I care about their welfare. We work together in a violent AOR. We are a family and I depend on them to survive. My brothers and sisters already have enough to worry about without another ******* pay cut.
                  It's all relative right now. Today I received less than half my normal check, with no checks in the foreseeable future. This is just a taste of what's to come.

Applicants, stiil want to be a federal employee?
                  They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

• I feel for people with money problems, I really do, but I also am in the position where I don't have to work 100 hours a pay period to live comfortably.

I stopped working nights, I take Holiday Off whenever I can, and I only work AUO if we get a case. All I know is that my stress has declined greatly, I have a lot more time to get things accomplished in my life, and I still make plenty of money ($80,000+/yr).

I wasn't always of this opinion, but months of fighting over AUO, and arguments with my supervisors really made me question if it was even worth it to fight. I have several coworkers who already were doing this, and I talked to them and realized that they all were much happier and less stressed out than my other coworkers who work all the time.
                    What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

A lack of money can certainly create problems. Real estate, in non gang infested areas, goes for around 250 dollars a square ft on average so PAs do not live in 3000 sq ft houses unless their spouse is making serious bucks. Where I live it can go as high as 275 sq ft. I rent a 600 sq ft apartment. It costs me 1100 a month. All of my neighbors are section 8. Due to the real estate prices I listed above I cannot afford to buy a home. But in some ways I'm one of the lucky ones.

One of my friends bought a 1400 sq ft home on a 4000 ft lot last year. The home cost him 390k. He was lucky to win the bid and beat out the all cash flippers. His wife was in her final year of nursing school when they bought the home. Four months after they closed on the home his wife was diagnosed with MS. She cannot work now. His pay check is all the have left and it just got cut by 7%. At 15% AUO it will get cut by another 7%. He has a lot of medical bills and sleepless nights. They have two kids, 2 and 5 year old.

You may not care about his situation because you will be fine with no AUO. Maybe, just maybe, stop focusing on yourself for a moment and think about how this will affect others. I work with that PA with the sick wife and I care about his situation. Financially they could decertify me tomorrow and I'd make it but my buddy with the sick wife would not. A lot of other PAs here in SDC have situations like my buddy with sick wives, kids, parents who will be in a real bad way if we get cut. I care about their welfare. We work together in a violent AOR. We are a family and I depend on them to survive. My brothers and sisters already have enough to worry about without another ******* pay cut.
                      This is a sad story indeed but I'll be damned if I ever let money rule my life.....things happen in life that are out of our control.....as Kansan said live within your means....if his house is too much for him to handle with a 7 percent decrease in pay probably time to sell it....does it suck? Of course, but it's peoples subbornness to admit things need to change that gets plenty of Americans in financial trouble....there are countless possibilities....you are telling me nowhere within a two hour commute to San Diego is affordable? I find if hard to believe.....yea would a 90 min commute suck? Of course it would. But wouldn't you trade 45 min extra a day to avoid all that stress? I sure would.... That is just one of many different solutions. I'm sorry I live in the highest cost of living city in the country with a family and if it ever got that bad I would move 90 min away and pay half what I'm paying....won't let a pay cut destroy my life...may make your living situation not exactly what you want but it would only be temporary in most cases, if not maybe time to look for another job....people have a "why me" mentality way too much.....get up and do something about it....things CAN be changed
                      Last edited by DaShwstoppahbk; 10-15-2013, 05:41 PM.

Comment

• Hello - I am new here and have a question. I am a current federal employee working for the TSA as a Behavioral Detection Officer since 2007. I have a current Secret Clearance granted March of 2011. Does CBP honor a secret clearance granted by other DHS components? Can I expect an expidited background investigation process and will I be taking a polygraph? Thanks for the help

Comment

• Originally posted by JS13088 View Post
                          Hello - I am new here and have a question. I am a current federal employee working for the TSA as a Behavioral Detection Officer since 2007. I have a current Secret Clearance granted March of 2011. Does CBP honor a secret clearance granted by other DHS components? Can I expect an expidited background investigation process and will I be taking a polygraph? Thanks for the help
                          No, CBP does not honor a security clearance granted by another agency. In fact, most of us (including me) BPAs don't even have a security clearance. I will say though that I transferred to CBP from the BOP, and while I still had to go through a full background investigation, it was cleared rather quickly (it took 1 month). So maybe you will get lucky and the process will take less time. Then again, maybe not, there is nothing standard about the way this agency hires.

Oh and yes you will be taking a polygraph. All new hires must take a polygraph, including ones transferring within CBP, for example a current CBPO that wants to become a BPA.
                          What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• Originally posted by JS13088 View Post
                            Hello - I am new here and have a question. I am a current federal employee working for the TSA as a Behavioral Detection Officer since 2007. I have a current Secret Clearance granted March of 2011. Does CBP honor a secret clearance granted by other DHS components? Can I expect an expidited background investigation process and will I be taking a polygraph? Thanks for the help
                            No super secret squirrel clearance needed here. what you will need is a good pair of boots to follow a group of aliens seven miles through the desert, a large water canteen to track a group of drug mules up the side of a rock faced mountain in 120 degree heat. You will also need boxes full of medical gloves to search and process hundred or thousand of immigrants with medical issues like ring worm scabies, flue and even leprosy. Don't forget the thousands of cups of coffee you will need to stay awake while sitting on an "X". The one thing you might be used to is the endless hours of standing on your feet that you will do while working an immigration checkpoint.

Nothing very secret going on at my station, we arrest hundreds aliens and seize thousands of pounds of dope a day . Good luck buddy!

Comment

• Originally posted by taco verde View Post
                              No super secret squirrel clearance needed here. what you will need is a good pair of boots to follow a group of aliens seven miles through the desert, a large water canteen to track a group of drug mules up the side of a rock faced mountain in 120 degree heat. You will also need boxes full of medical gloves to search and process hundred or thousand of immigrants with medical issues like ring worm scabies, flue and even leprosy. Don't forget the thousands of cups of coffee you will need to stay awake while sitting on an "X". The one thing you might be used to is the endless hours of standing on your feet that you will do while working an immigration checkpoint.

Nothing very secret going on at my station, we arrest hundreds aliens and seize thousands of pounds of dope a day . Good luck buddy!
                              Hey, he might not be standing on an X. He might be like me and standing at a checkpoint and processing aliens every day.
                              Last edited by TheKansan; 11-01-2013, 04:32 PM.
                              What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• Checkpoint is an opportunity to be out in the fresh air, working walk around traffic is always one of my favorite things. I do very little processing but when I do, its the best way to work on my Spanish fluency. 99% of the aliens I have come across are more than willing to engage you in a friendly conversation. Its better than Rosetta stone.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8690 users online. 417 members and 8273 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X