Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone received there TSL from Feb-March 2013 applicants/ NORS??
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

"Abraham Lincoln"

Comment

• Originally posted by Njw85 View Post
      I honestly think you could end up anywhere. The immigration bill will allow agents to choose more locations.
      That trash isn't going to pass. If it does all the enforcement and build up on the border will be removed or severely watered down.

Comment

• Originally posted by cur679 View Post
        I don't think the job is bad. I think the locations are bad. I think the SWB is the most unattractive part of the country, but that's just my opinion.

If there's one location I could pick, and I knew I could get Tuscon off the bat, then I'd probably apply.
        The job is great. Some border towns are third world, I personally visited parts of Arizona and Texas while I was in the hiring process. I took the job knowing what I was getting into. Tucson is a GREAT town and the greater RGV area is ok

Comment

• Originally posted by IrvingAg13 View Post
          Surprised there's no talk about how this new amendment to the Immigration Reform bill in the Senate proposes DOUBLING the size of Border Patrol from 20,000 to 40,000 Agents... could be a pretty big deal.
          If the bill gets past the House of Representatives, then its for real. There are major hurdles still ahead in the House.

Comment

• Originally posted by mayburymh View Post
            I'd be really surprised if that passes. I don't have the first clue where the money will come from. They can't afford to pay us as it is, so I don't know how they plan to pay twice as many of us.
            It actually does look like it will pass. The Senate had a preliminary vote today and it passed 67-27. There will be an official vote later this week which will probably result in 70 or more votes. The big challenge will be the House of Representatives. Many republicans are against the very idea of legalizing undocumented immigrants.

Its looking like it will pass in the end, though it will likely be the fall before its official. For people wondering, this won't affect hiring until probably the beginning to middle of 2014, then will likely be a hiring surge like during the Bush administration.

They money is supposedly coming from the 100 billion or more the immigration bill claims it will take off the deficit. So the rationale is that with spending 30 billion, they will still be saving over 70 billion.

Comment

• I've been a little interested in doing BP, especially if my other application doesn't follow through. Any tips/advice for anybody that has been through the process?

Comment

• Originally posted by frontier5686 View Post
                Oh ok, we'll I won't be going anywhere then because live in western NY. Yea way about that new mass hiring? I heard about that. How will that effect hiring? Do you think it would speed up transfers to a persons home area?
                The bill calls for 38,400 agents out of about 41,000 to be on the southwest border. That will likely make transfers no different than now, as supposedly 18,400 out of 21,000 agents are currently on the southwest border. If anything it may make transfers even more competitive as the ratio of southwest agents vs non southwest agents would go from 88%/12% currently to 93%/7% with 41,000 agents.

Comment

• Originally posted by Quixotic Illusion View Post
                  I've been a little interested in doing BP, especially if my other application doesn't follow through. Any tips/advice for anybody that has been through the process?
                  My advice would be to go ahead, take the exam, and get the ball rolling. This process is very slow and shouldn't be your main focus for future employment. Its something you apply for, do the things they ask you to do periodically and forget about.

I'm currently in in TSU(where your file goes to wait for a phone call to start) so just to give you an idea the amount of time it will take, here is my timeline:

Aug. 2010 - Reused test score from 2006

Sept. 2010 - Received tentative selection letter

Early 2011 - Oral board (interview)

Mid 2011 - medical and meeting with background investigator

Then nothing basically for over a year (background investigations are backed up for BP)

Jan. 2013 - polygraph

April 2013 - placed in TSU

It will likely be almost three years in process before I get a firm offer of employment, so if you're even considering BP, go ahead and get started. If something else works out in the mean time, then you can withdraw. Only something like 2% of applicants out of 60-80,000 who apply during an open announcement make it all the way through the process and into TSU(for various reasons, but the polygraph is failing 60-80%), so don't put all your eggs in this basket.

Comment

• Originally posted by Longrnge View Post
                    My advice would be to go ahead, take the exam, and get the ball rolling. This process is very slow and shouldn't be your main focus for future employment. Its something you apply for, do the things they ask you to do periodically and forget about.

I'm currently in in TSU(where your file goes to wait for a phone call to start) so just to give you an idea the amount of time it will take, here is my timeline:

Aug. 2010 - Reused test score from 2006

Sept. 2010 - Received tentative selection letter

Early 2011 - Oral board (interview)

Mid 2011 - medical and meeting with background investigator

Then nothing basically for over a year (background investigations are backed up for BP)

Jan. 2013 - polygraph

April 2013 - placed in TSU

It will likely be almost three years in process before I get a firm offer of employment, so if you're even considering BP, go ahead and get started. If something else works out in the mean time, then you can withdraw. Only something like 2% of applicants out of 60-80,000 who apply during an open announcement make it all the way through the process and into TSU(for various reasons, but the polygraph is failing 60-80%), so don't put all your eggs in this basket.
                    +1
                    BPA
                    Application Date: 09/11/2011
                    Examination Date: 11/18/2011
                    NOR: 11/29/2011 (95)
                    TSL: 04/05/2012
                    PFT1: 05/07/2012 Pass
                    Med: 05/14/2012 Pass
                    SI: 05/29/2012 Pass
                    EQIP Updated: 07/17/2012
                    BI: Clear
                    PFT2: ?
                    EOD?

Comment

• Just got called this morning. I report Aug 5th. Rio Grande City will be my eventual duty station. Aug 29th would have been 3 years since I tested.

Comment

• I wonder how the BP polygraph will change when this bill gets passed. 20000 is a lot of agents to get so don't you guys think it will limit who will take a poly and who won't? You can't get 20k agents on how the poly is now...

Comment

• I'm sure they won't change the polygraph much. It was put into place due to corruption and to because most every other federal LE agency has a mandatory polygraph. Going back on this policy because of a hiring surge would be a huge PR **** storm the first time someone got caught taking a bribe, shooting someone unjustifiably, or getting in big trouble outside of work. There's no way they take that chance. (not that I believe polygraphs are legitimate tools for hiring, just giving the point of view the government will probably take)

What will likely happen is large amounts of contractors will be hired to perform background investigations and polygraph exams. Similar to the big hiring push during the Bush administration, except they will need contractors to perform polygraph exams as well to process enough people to hire 20,000 extra over an eight year period.

Comment

• Got called for a polygraph today after a year waiting around. I have gotten a new part time job though since the initial app. Anyone know if I need to do a notice of change for employer and where I might find that form?

I know there is a change of address but I can't seem to find anything on employer.

Comment

• That sounds good but with this failing rate of 60 to 80% it will be hard to get that 20k. So I'm thinking it lighten up a little bit. Or by BP hiring contractors, it will allow people to get through I'm assuming. What you think?

Comment

• Originally posted by Longrnge View Post
                                Just got called this morning. I report Aug 5th. Rio Grande City will be my eventual duty station. Aug 29th would have been 3 years since I tested.
                                Congrats and good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9011 users online. 314 members and 8697 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X