Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone have any insight on the required learning of spanish. i'd like to apply but never took any spanish classes in highschool or anything. learning a new language seems like a big step to me. just wondering how good they are at teaching and how fluent you actually have to be. thanks.
    I don't have to be careful. I got a gun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Glory Days View Post
      anyone have any insight on the required learning of spanish. i'd like to apply but never took any spanish classes in highschool or anything. learning a new language seems like a big step to me. just wondering how good they are at teaching and how fluent you actually have to be. thanks.
      You are not required to learn Spanish when you enter the Border Patrol. I am not a native Spanish speaker and I thought that the academy gave me a good basic knowledge of the Spanish language (of course continued learning was still necessary). The Spanish program has recently been changed, and now apparently consists of memorizing video scenarios. The non-native speakers that have come from the new program are not doing so well with their Spanish. My advice to you is to take a college Spanish course or get a tutor for additional instruction. You NEED to know Spanish to do the job effectively, whether it be to take a sworn statement, interview a witness, respond to an alien that is in distress, or even to hear when an alien out of a group you just arrested tells his buddy to kick your ***.

If you want the job you are going to have to do some learning on your own. Although they really aren't failing anybody at the academy for Spanish anymore, you will have a two year probationary period. While you are on probation, you will be rated every pay period by a journeyman agent. If you have to ask native spanish speakers to do your job for you, or if your Spanish is so bad that you cannot communicate basic commands to people that you arrest in the fiield then it will reflect in your evaluations. You don't have to speak perfect or even great Spanish but you need to speak enough to do your job. The good thing is that if you show your coworkers that you are making an effort to learn then they will help you.

There is some information on spanish tutors and just about anything else that you would want to know about the BP on honorfirst.com. Be advised that if you wish to post there then you will need to clean up your English grammar as well, they are very strict about that.

Best of luck in teh hiring process.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPat View Post
        You are not required to learn Spanish when you enter the Border Patrol. I am not a native Spanish speaker and I thought that the academy gave me a good basic knowledge of the Spanish language (of course continued learning was still necessary). The Spanish program has recently been changed, and now apparently consists of memorizing video scenarios. The non-native speakers that have come from the new program are not doing so well with their Spanish. My advice to you is to take a college Spanish course or get a tutor for additional instruction. You NEED to know Spanish to do the job effectively, whether it be to take a sworn statement, interview a witness, respond to an alien that is in distress, or even to hear when an alien out of a group you just arrested tells his buddy to kick your ***.

If you want the job you are going to have to do some learning on your own. Although they really aren't failing anybody at the academy for Spanish anymore, you will have a two year probationary period. While you are on probation, you will be rated every pay period by a journeyman agent. If you have to ask native spanish speakers to do your job for you, or if your Spanish is so bad that you cannot communicate basic commands to people that you arrest in the fiield then it will reflect in your evaluations. You don't have to speak perfect or even great Spanish but you need to speak enough to do your job. The good thing is that if you show your coworkers that you are making an effort to learn then they will help you.

There is some information on spanish tutors and just about anything else that you would want to know about the BP on honorfirst.com. Be advised that if you wish to post there then you will need to clean up your English grammar as well, they are very strict about that.

Best of luck in teh hiring process

I know I know it's a typo, It still was funny
        BPA:
        Written Test: Passed (97%)
        Reactivated Feb 09
        Pre-Employment Forms: Completed
        Qualifications: Qualified GL-7
        Medical Exam: Completed
        Drug Test: Completed
        Fitness: Completed
        Oral Board: Completedhttp://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6315/dancing.gif
        Background Investigation: Completed

IEA ICE
        Written Test: Passed (80% )
        Oral Interview: Passed 07/14/09
        Paperwork Sent In And No Idea When I'll Get An Answer

Comment

• Ok guys i have a question I am taking the BPA test this Friday and was wondering if this is a step in the process where attire will be evaluated? if so will a polo and slacks do or would you still wear a suit?

Comment

• A suit is not necessary for this test. That being said, you should still look decent but you don't need to be one of three guys wearing suits at the exam. Besides, you'll want to be comfortable for that Artificial Language Test!

Comment

• I've been looking into the Border Patrol for some time now and decided to apply today. Making things short, I have a compressed test date set for 12/29/2008!

I'm a 21 year old university graduated with a BA in Psychology w/ a cumulative GPA of 3.06 . I've taken two years of Spanish in High School and one year of Spanish at the University I attended. I am printing the study guide provided after the first phase of the application process. Is this enough information to prepare me for the compressed test?

I will be making a drive from Los Angeles to San Diego. Can't wait!
              United States Border Patrol
              08/2009 - Tentative Scheduling Unit.

Comment

• well got the call from the 202 area code today. after hearing her out i opted to withdraw from the process (my employment record wasn't to her standards).

SO I WISH GOOD LUCK TO ALL THOSE STILL IN THE PROCESS

Comment

• Originally posted by quannj View Post
                  well got the call from the 202 area code today. after hearing her out i opted to withdraw from the process (my employment record wasn't to her standards).

Sorry to hear that. Still haven't passed my medical yet. It's been 2 months since the exam.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlcatrazT2 View Post
                    I've been looking into the Border Patrol for some time now and decided to apply today. Making things short, I have a compressed test date set for 12/29/2008!

I'm a 21 year old university graduated with a BA in Psychology w/ a cumulative GPA of 3.06 . I've taken two years of Spanish in High School and one year of Spanish at the University I attended. I am printing the study guide provided after the first phase of the application process. Is this enough information to prepare me for the compressed test?

I will be making a drive from Los Angeles to San Diego. Can't wait!
                    The study guide is useful because you see the type of questions you will be faced with. If you took an LSAT or the test required to enter grad school ((GRE) you will OWN this test. as for the spanish part good luck sir, I dont know if 3 years will be enough, but it might, it's very easy (I can say that cause I speak spanish here in Puerto Rico)

Good Luck Sir

Originally posted by quannj View Post
                    well got the call from the 202 area code today. after hearing her out i opted to withdraw from the process (my employment record wasn't to her standards).

Could you explain that?

Now im nervous, Ive never had law enforcement or military employment if thats what this requires. Hell Ive only worked at my current job, clothing store.
                    BPA:
                    Written Test: Passed (97%)
                    Reactivated Feb 09
                    Pre-Employment Forms: Completed
                    Qualifications: Qualified GL-7
                    Medical Exam: Completed
                    Drug Test: Completed
                    Fitness: Completed
                    Oral Board: Completedhttp://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6315/dancing.gif
                    Background Investigation: Completed

IEA ICE
                    Written Test: Passed (80% )
                    Oral Interview: Passed 07/14/09
                    Paperwork Sent In And No Idea When I'll Get An Answer

Comment

• Originally posted by BPA2Be View Post
                      Could you explain that?

Now im nervous, Ive never had law enforcement or military employment if thats what this requires. Hell Ive only worked at my current job, clothing store.
                      I don't think he was referring to where or what kind of work he was doing, he was referring to one of his former employers expressing a negative employment history during his tenure. But that's just a guess, I don't want to put words in his mouth.
                      "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• Since we're talking about previous employment, will I have difficulty getting in if I worked at a certain location for one month and then flat out quit? I hope the Border Patrol doesn't DQ me for this because I was in an unfavorable environment and found out that the person in charge wanted to lay me off...
                        Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Since we're talking about previous employment, will I have difficulty getting in if I worked at a certain location for one month and then flat out quit? I hope the Border Patrol doesn't DQ me for this because I was in an unfavorable environment and found out that the person in charge wanted to lay me off...
                          Any input will be greatly appreciated.
                          They'll probably want to know why, that's for certain. The truth shall set you free, so be upfront about why you quit and be detailed, and you won't have to worry about too much. Good luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by sap123 View Post
                            They'll probably want to know why, that's for certain. The truth shall set you free, so be upfront about why you quit and be detailed, and you won't have to worry about too much. Good luck.
                            Do I need to tell my background investigator all of this when I meet him/her or is there place to note it down on the application itself?

Thanks!

Comment

Do I need to tell my background investigator all of this when I meet him/her or is there place to note it down on the application itself?

Thanks!
                              If you haven't met up with your BI yet, you will be given more detailed instructions on this topic when they schedule an interview with you. Don't stress it, just make sure to be up front, detailed, and most importantly, honest.

Comment

• Originally posted by BPA2Be View Post
                                The study guide is useful because you see the type of questions you will be faced with. If you took an LSAT or the test required to enter grad school ((GRE) you will OWN this test. as for the spanish part good luck sir, I dont know if 3 years will be enough, but it might, it's very easy (I can say that cause I speak spanish here in Puerto Rico)

Good Luck Sir

Could you explain that?

well my general discharge from the national guard..being fired 3 times in my life and i assume someone said something negative but i'm not really sure..

this is my third time failing to get on(law enforcement)i dont think i can go though another state or fed process so i'm ending my chase for the badge, if i wait the time the AD suggested (2-3 yrs) i'll be in my early 30's so i just going to lock my dream away in a federal reserve grade safe

Looks like i'm dish network til i die

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4904 users online. 346 members and 4558 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X