300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Njw85 View Post
    How hard is the Spanish portion per academy?
    It's extremely easy, which is very unfortunate. Under the new program all you do is memorize scripts which cover various scenarios you might encounter as an agent (vehicle stops, bus checks, injured aliens, etc.). The problem is that the scenarios aren't at all dynamic, meaning you literally memorize the script rather than learn the language. The end result is that you'll be very good at reciting a very limited set of phrases, and that's about it. As an example, you'll be able to say "sign here" to an alien because you learn the phrase, but if the alien asks you "what is this form for?" you won't be able to answer him since that's not part of the script you memorized at the academy.

EDIT: Given that all we seem to catch lately are Punjabi's and Romanians, though, my lack of Spanish ability hasn't been a huge issue in the past few weeks .
    Last edited by mayburymh; 06-20-2013, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• To all current agents, what's the news on AUO if that immigration bill passes? If CBP have a mass hiring, what will happen to the process. Will it take things out like the poly to save money or what do you guys think?

Comment

• Just signed up for the test 8/21/13. Question for any agents, do you stay at the academy on weekends or do you go home? Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by frontier5686 View Post
          Just signed up for the test 8/21/13. Question for any agents, do you stay at the academy on weekends or do you go home? Thanks.
          The large majority stay at the academy. You're allowed to travel up to 100 miles away from the academy at your discretion. If you wish to travel further away, you're required to submit a memo to your law instructor requesting permission to do so. I had one classmate who lived in El Paso with his wife and kids, and he brought his car up to the academy. He'd drive down about one weekend a month to visit them.

Comment

• Surprised there's no talk about how this new amendment to the Immigration Reform bill in the Senate proposes DOUBLING the size of Border Patrol from 20,000 to 40,000 Agents... could be a pretty big deal.
            NOR: 8/1/2012 (95 - no vet)
            TSL1: 8/14/2012
            TSL2: 8/16/2012
            PFT1: 9/17/2012
            Poly: 11/14/2012
            Drug Test: 12/7/2012
            BI: cleared 12/2012
            Quals: GS 7 cleared 5/29/2013
            TSU: 5/29/2013

"The Call": 8/6/2013
            EOD: 9/16/2013 - Brownsville, TX

Comment

• Oh ok, we'll I won't be going anywhere then because live in western NY. Yea way about that new mass hiring? I heard about that. How will that effect hiring? Do you think it would speed up transfers to a persons home area?

Comment

• I'd be really surprised if that passes. I don't have the first clue where the money will come from. They can't afford to pay us as it is, so I don't know how they plan to pay twice as many of us.

Comment

• Hummm....is there any kind of fitness gym at the academy for downtime and/or weekends?

Comment

• Originally posted by IrvingAg13 View Post
                    Surprised there's no talk about how this new amendment to the Immigration Reform bill in the Senate proposes DOUBLING the size of Border Patrol from 20,000 to 40,000 Agents... could be a pretty big deal.
                    They can't pay the agents they have now, they can't pay for gas for our vehicles, they can't admit that we are getting our asses kicked by the smugglers.

Comment

• Originally posted by madchiken View Post
                      They can't pay the agents they have now, they can't pay for gas for our vehicles, they can't admit that we are getting our asses kicked by the smugglers.
                      lol, Its amazing how the government will come up with the money when needed but it says were broke. Were not broke.

Comment

• My geo location was SoCal, I wonder what the odds are of actually getting it. If not, Where would they send me?

Comment

• Originally posted by dcsti22 View Post
                          My geo location was SoCal, I wonder what the odds are of actually getting it. If not, Where would they send me?
                          based on delphi forums they have been sending a lot of people around Texas.
                          BPA( California)

NOR 75( no clue why am i stuck in the 70's) 9/2011

Comment

• Originally posted by dcsti22 View Post
                            My geo location was SoCal, I wonder what the odds are of actually getting it. If not, Where would they send me?
                            Your odds of getting California are very low, especially San Diego. You will likely go to South Texas. Of course, things may change depending on the outcome of the immigration bill.

Comment

• I honestly think you could end up anywhere. The immigration bill will allow agents to choose more locations.

Comment

• Originally posted by o2force View Post
                                Your odds of getting California are very low, especially San Diego. You will likely go to South Texas. Of course, things may change depending on the outcome of the immigration bill.
                                Hopefully that is true, I have not changed my geo since I initially applied.

Originally posted by Njw85 View Post
                                I honestly think you could end up anywhere. The immigration bill will allow agents to choose more locations.
                                Hopefully!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9347 users online. 534 members and 8813 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X