Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by SHU; 07-01-2019, 11:20 PM.

Comment

• I scored kinda terrible on this test, below an 80. Do I have a realistic chance?

Comment

• Originally posted by SHINYBADGE View Post
        I scored kinda terrible on this test, below an 80. Do I have a realistic chance?
        I would not get caught up in scores, CBP is using category ratings now. Plus I really think CBP is not getting a lot of applicants applying that's why it's extending the announcement. Not everyone will pass the test. I bet you'll be fine, at this point it's about what you have in your resume.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHINYBADGE View Post
          I scored kinda terrible on this test, below an 80. Do I have a realistic chance?
          Back when the USBP was hiring like crazy simply passing the test was enough. However, because hiring has slowed way down, the "actual" cut-off score is a lot higher then a 70. From what I have heard, a score below 80 probably will not get you hired, at least not any time soon. I suggest retaking it when you can.

I would not get caught up in scores, CBP is using category ratings now. Plus I really think CBP is not getting a lot of applicants applying that's why it's extending the announcement. Not everyone will pass the test. I bet you'll be fine, at this point it's about what you have in your resume.
          Sadly, this isn't true. Once you are deemed qualified to take the test your resume is no longer looked at, not legitimately at least. Being called for a class is based on very few factors, veteran's status and test score being the main ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by o2force View Post
            Back when the USBP was hiring like crazy simply passing the test was enough. However, because hiring has slowed way down, the "actual" cut-off score is a lot higher then a 70. From what I have heard, a score below 80 probably will not get you hired, at least not any time soon. I suggest retaking it when you can.

Sadly, this isn't true. Once you are deemed qualified to take the test your resume is no longer looked at, not legitimately at least. Being called for a class is based on very few factors, veteran's status and test score being the main ones.

Agreed. If you scored below 70, it would be game over obviously. Scoring below 80 does not rule you out as o2force noted, but it places you low on the totem pole making it that much longer to wait for a possible tentative selection letter. SHINYBADGE this is a job you really aspire to achieve, then retake the exam if you can. Best of luck to you.

From what I recall, resumes are requested and reviewed after an applicant receives a TSL to aide in determining pay grade. At least this was the case with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by StoneFace View Post
              Agreed. If you scored below 70, it would be game over obviously. Scoring below 80 does not rule you out as o2force noted, but it places you low on the totem pole making it that much longer to wait for a possible tentative selection letter. SHINYBADGE this is a job you really aspire to achieve, then retake the exam if you can. Best of luck to you.

From what I recall, resumes are requested and reviewed after an applicant receives a TSL to aide in determining pay grade. At least this was the case with me.
              I do agree with you guys regarding the score, however, CBP is using category ratings now. Category ratings is based off a persons qualifications. I think CBP will combine the score and your qualifications based off what you answered on the application I assume. Think of it this way, if person scores high on the test but just have a degree and no experience, how can that person be best qualified. Now if you score high on the test and have a degree and specialized investigative experience that would put you at the top. I'm not saying you guys are wrong, just advising that the category system is used to determine ones qaulifications and score. Just take a look at the announcement, unless otherwise, I would not worry about it. A score on the test does not determine how qualified a person is, its your education and experience. I could be wrong also but we'll just have to sit back and see. Good luck.

Comment

• Here below is whats on the announcement:

•Best Qualified: Applicants possessing the type and quality of experience that substantially exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position.
                •Very Highly Qualified: Applicants possessing the type and quality of experience that exceeds, to a very considerable extent, the minimum qualifications of the position.
                •Highly Qualified: Applicants possessing the type and quality of experience that exceeds, to a considerable extent, the minimum qualifications of the position.
                •Well Qualified: Applicants possessing the type and quality of experience that marginally exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position and who demonstrate average proficiency in most of the critical competencies of the position.
                •Qualified: Applicants possessing the type and quality of experience that meets the minimum qualifications of the position.

Veterans with 5 point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they qualify. Veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are listed at the top of the highest quality category.

Comment

• Originally posted by demo2287 View Post
                  just got an email scheduling me got the polygraph exam........if you guys don't like the BPA job why don't you guys quit and find something else ....
                  That's awesome news. Good luck! Don't forget to tell the truth...kidding.

Comment

• Originally posted by Njw85 View Post
                    I do agree with you guys regarding the score, however, CBP is using category ratings now. Category ratings is based off a persons qualifications. I think CBP will combine the score and your qualifications based off what you answered on the application I assume. Think of it this way, if person scores high on the test but just have a degree and no experience, how can that person be best qualified. Now if you score high on the test and have a degree and specialized investigative experience that would put you at the top. I'm not saying you guys are wrong, just advising that the category system is used to determine ones qaulifications and score. Just take a look at the announcement, unless otherwise, I would not worry about it. A score on the test does not determine how qualified a person is, its your education and experience. I could be wrong also but we'll just have to sit back and see. Good luck.
                    Duly noted and yes, a score on the test does not solely determine qualifications, however, it determines how quickly your file is looked at, no? An applicant scoring a 95 on the written test will be reviewed first over an applicant scoring 90 even though the applicant scoring 90 might be more qualified. At least this is what I have gathered and from my understanding CBP processes applicants top-down based upon their score and then qualifications, which determines pay grade. I don't know...I mean, let's say Applicant Y with his score of 95 is issued a TSL and falls into the "Qualified" category based upon education (we figure Y is smart or a good test taker 'cause Y got a pretty little 95on his test) and starts his process. Then CBP gets to applicants scoring 90, picks up Applicant X and determines X falls into the Highly Qualified category because he's got extensive work exprience and a Masters degree and he too starts his process. Both are in their pre-employment phase...does this mean X will get processed faster than Y because of the difference in categories?

Sorry if I've confused you. At any rate, I'm not disagreeing with you!

Comment

• I scored above a 90 on the test and have a Bachelor's Degree in Law Enforcement with a 3.222 GPA, and completed an internship with the Secret Service (passed an extensive background check to gain Top Secret Clearance). Do you think I may be under the "Best Qualified" (if the interview goes well)? I am not trying to "brag" about myself AT ALL, I just am curious about where you guys think I would stand.

I submitted all of the required documents, the waiting game begins!
                      Last edited by braz989; 05-22-2013, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by braz989 View Post
                        I scored above a 90 on the test and have a Bachelor's Degree in Law Enforcement with a 3.222 GPA, and completed an internship with the Secret Service (passed an extensive background check to gain Top Secret Clearance). Do you think I may be under the "Best Qualified" (if the interview goes well)? I am not trying to "brag" about myself AT ALL, I just am curious about where you guys think I would stand.

I submitted all of the required documents, the waiting game begins!
                        Well now that you have completely bragged about yourself, they will just have to place you in the over-qualified category (they will make that one up strictly for you). Juuuust kidding!!! I couldn't resist, sorry.

Okay on a serious note, MHC will take all of it into consideration. You obviously have an excellent test score and your GPA is over 3.0, which according to CBP's standards is good enough for them. What about your work experience? If you have no work experience, then they will look at your internship(s) to determine your level of experience based upon the tasks performed. I would have to know more about your background to conclude that you fall under "Best Qualified." Based upon what you've stated, I think you fall under "Highly Qualified." No offense of course because again I don't know your background. I think candidates who fall under Very Highly Qualified and Best Qualified are most likely the ones who have a high test score, college degree, served X amount of years in the military and/or is a war veteran or someone who has a high test score, college degree and worked at a local PD for X amounts of years moving up in rank, etc. So by default they are bringing an extensive Law Enforcement background and a substantially high proficiency in almost all of the critical competencies required for the job to the table. That's just my take on it...but I could be off-kilter who knows?

Interning for the Secret Service must have been incredibly interesting! All the best to you.

Comment

Well now that you have completely bragged about yourself, they will just have to place you in the over-qualified category (they will make that one up strictly for you). Juuuust kidding!!! I couldn't resist, sorry.

Okay on a serious note, MHC will take all of it into consideration. You obviously have an excellent test score and your GPA is over 3.0, which according to CBP's standards is good enough for them. What about your work experience? If you have no work experience, then they will look at your internship(s) to determine your level of experience based upon the tasks performed. I would have to know more about your background to conclude that you fall under "Best Qualified." Based upon what you've stated, I think you fall under "Highly Qualified." No offense of course because again I don't know your background. I think candidates who fall under Very Highly Qualified and Best Qualified are most likely the ones who have a high test score, college degree, served X amount of years in the military and/or is a war veteran or someone who has a high test score, college degree and worked at a local PD for X amounts of years moving up in rank, etc. So by default they are bringing an extensive Law Enforcement background and a substantially high proficiency in almost all of the critical competencies required for the job to the table. That's just my take on it...but I could be off-kilter who knows?

Interning for the Secret Service must have been incredibly interesting! All the best to you.
                          Thanks for the response!

I forgot to add that I am currently working security at a train yard (patrol the yard, write reports for containers that have had their seals broken etc..) and I also am a bouncer right now at a bar/club. At school I worked as a computer lab assistant for 3 semesters and I was also a Resident Assistant my sophomore year (live on a floor of freshman, enforce university policy, create a community on my floor, get the students involved etc..).

And yes, the internship was absolutely amazing. MANY once in a life time experiences!

Comment

Thanks for the response!

I forgot to add that I am currently working security at a train yard (patrol the yard, write reports for containers that have had their seals broken etc..) and I also am a bouncer right now at a bar/club. At school I worked as a computer lab assistant for 3 semesters and I was also a Resident Assistant my sophomore year (live on a floor of freshman, enforce university policy, create a community on my floor, get the students involved etc..).

And yes, the internship was absolutely amazing. MANY once in a life time experiences!

You're welcome. My guess is you will qualify for the higher pay grade (GL-7). You can either qualify for GL-5 or GL-7 for BPA and GS-5 or GS-7 for CBP. You will still be processed like the rest of us, but the jury is still out on if you will be processed faster than others. See my conversation from yesterday with Njw85. Good luck and let's hope your process goes quickly.

Comment

You're welcome. My guess is you will qualify for the higher pay grade (GL-7). You can either qualify for GL-5 or GL-7 for BPA and GS-5 or GS-7 for CBP. You will still be processed like the rest of us, but the jury is still out on if you will be processed faster than others. See my conversation from yesterday with Njw85. Good luck and let's hope your process goes quickly.
                              Yes, I believe I would qualify for GL-7 since I have a Bachelor's with a 3.0 or higher. I will keep you guys updated as I go through the process. Let the waiting game begin!

Comment

Yes, I believe I would qualify for GL-7 since I have a Bachelor's with a 3.0 or higher. I will keep you guys updated as I go through the process. Let the waiting game begin!
                                The lenghty waiting is what single-handedly affects most people psychologically (other than the polygraph and interview). I think the challenge is finding a balance where you have to live your life in a multi-facet manner, i.e., ready for the next step after you've completed one and ready for plan B in case this one fails while simultaneously tending to other areas in your life. Dont sweat it though, you will be fine. Feel free to PM me if you've got questions. Again, good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6162 users online. 239 members and 5923 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X