Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by SHU; 07-01-2019, 11:21 PM.

Comment

• Which job is worse: CBPO or BPA?

Comment

• Thanks guys.
        New York City Department of Correction and US Army. 🇺🇸

Comment

• Originally posted by StoneFace View Post
          At the risk of sounding insensitive to your situation and certainly no offense to you or any other BPAs on this forum...try working in the corporate world. It's not a bed of roses either, my friend. Just remember one thing, the grass is always greener on the other side... until you have to mow it.
          Dude, trying to draw a comparison between the corporate world and Border Patrol is ridiculous. Does a lack of training get you killed in the corporate world? Do you risk your life everyday hiking in the mountains and THEN are threaten with losing almost half your pay? The pay situation is not the only bad part of the Patrol, trust me. There is little to no consideration to making agents better, you are a number or an "X" to your supervisor. I am an instructor and have trained other federal agencies, it is laughable how much more training they receive compared to PA's.

To the guy who asked which is worst CBPO or BPA...just stay away from CBP period. Work for a local PD and try for USMS, DEA, an OIG...etc in 5-10 years IF you just have to be a fed.

Comment

• NORs email came today with test results from the March exam.
            The only easy day was yesterday. - BUDS Instructor

Comment

• Can any current border patrol agents explain what's going on with the AUO? Is it gone? Are you guys getting any overtime at all? Any information would be great. Guys make sure you read the current announcement, I reviewed the past announcements from BPA (2010 and 2011) and it has a section regarding OVERTIME. If you look at the current announcement (2013), it says nothing about overtime. Just trying to figure out what's going on. I've been searching the web but nothing up to date is coming up. I will say that this issue is very hush hush!

Comment

• Our AUO is not what most people think of when you say "overtime". No auo is not gone...yet. It is being heavily regulated to keep agents from working a certain amount of auo in one pay period. Depending who you ask, some agents say it'll be gone forever here shortly and others think it's just rumors. Us agents do not even know what is going on with our own auo. Someone could come on here and say "border patrol just got funded for a 40k dollar pay raise and double auo" and I would believe it as much as I believe the info I get from my own agency.

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-01-2019, 11:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHU View Post
                    We don't receive any honest information from any of our so called leaders but they frequently lie to our faces. If I were a betting man, I'd say we will no longer have any AUO 12 months from now. The agency's ultimate goal is to take our AUO/FLSA and use it to fund raises for customs management staff. CBP does not care one bit about the safety and security of the border or whether the PAs stay or go. That is why I urge all applicants to cut bait and go elsewhere before you up root your life and move to some third world location. This use to be a great job but it has changed for the worst and do not ever see it coming back. This job is dead.
                    I was really excited when I got my email today saying I scored a 92 on the written exam, but this is making me second guess continuing on! I just graduated college with a Bachelor's Degree and have tested at 8 local PD's so far and have made one list and am still waiting for results from others. It is just so unbelievably hard to get hired right now that I will taking ANYTHING to get my foot in the door, including the Border Patrol.
                    Last edited by braz989; 05-17-2013, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by braz989 View Post
                      I was really excited when I got my email today saying I scored a 92 on the written exam, but this is making me second guess continuing on! I just graduated college with a Bachelor's Degree and have tested at 8 local PD's so far and have made one list and am still waiting for results from others. It is just so unbelievably hard to get hired right now that I will taking ANYTHING to get my foot in the door, including the Border Patrol.
                      I really understand where you are coming from trust me, this was me 6 years ago. Border Patrol is not really a "foot in the door". The experiences you gain here are very unique BUT do not translate to other agencies. You will gain more valuable experience at a local PD than BP, if you want to go to DEA, FBI, USMS, HSI...etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by ccia84 View Post
                        I really understand where you are coming from trust me, this was me 6 years ago. Border Patrol is not really a "foot in the door". The experiences you gain here are very unique BUT do not translate to other agencies. You will gain more valuable experience at a local PD than BP, if you want to go to DEA, FBI, USMS, HSI...etc.
                        Hmm this is a very tough choice. I tested for my 9th department today. I just feel like the experience and Spanish language (learned in academy) would be VERY beneficial down the road. I will keep trying for local PD's, I am on one list and I am awaiting results from a few others. If offered BP, I will most likely accept. I am assuming that the whole process would take close to a year before I would be given an offer, so maybe I will get on a local PD by then? I have such a strong passion for policing, I wish it was easier to show that during an interview or test.

I have nothing holding me back to my home state, I am willing to move ANYWHERE in the U.S. I am young, educated, and healthy, what is there to lose??? Maybe I should look into out of state testing.

Thank you for the feedback, stay safe.

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-01-2019, 11:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by braz989 View Post
                            Hmm this is a very tough choice. I tested for my 9th department today. I just feel like the experience and Spanish language (learned in academy) would be VERY beneficial down the road. I will keep trying for local PD's, I am on one list and I am awaiting results from a few others. If offered BP, I will most likely accept. I am assuming that the whole process would take close to a year before I would be given an offer, so maybe I will get on a local PD by then? I have such a strong passion for policing, I wish it was easier to show that during an interview or test.

I have nothing holding me back to my home state, I am willing to move ANYWHERE in the U.S. I am young, educated, and healthy, what is there to lose??? Maybe I should look into out of state testing.

Thank you for the feedback, stay safe.
                            I hear you buddy... I am not a vet yet I have a great work/personal history record being a teacher and a great SAA with my college degree in Criminal Justice. I've scored high on every federal test and PD/Sheriff yet just still haven't managed to make the final cut. In my area and local city/state, police jobs are far and few between. Ex. our local agency held a annoucement and 1800 people tested, only 30 are being hired. It is what it is but if Border Patrol gives me a opportunity, then I will being willing to make the hardship/sacrafices to be apart of the agency. With that being said, I really do appreciate ALL of the current info and details coming in from different perspectives about the job.... Sadly all I can say... One man's trash is another man's treasure. Thanks agains to everyone on this forum

Comment

• just got an email scheduling me got the polygraph exam........if you guys don't like the BPA job why don't you guys quit and find something else ....
                              Exam:1302
                              List:8XX
                              APD 5:Done
                              Medical:Done
                              Written Psych:Done
                              Oral Psych:Done
                              Meet w/BI:Done
                              Background Investigation:In Process
                              JST:Done
                              Mini Med:Done
                              The call:7/7/13 @10:22

Comment

• Originally posted by demo2287 View Post
                                just got an email scheduling me got the polygraph exam........if you guys don't like the BPA job why don't you guys quit and find something else ....
                                oh wow, what an idea! I should just quit and not worry about my obligations as an adult. Don't come on here saying "if you don't like it, quit". You know nothing about what is going on and what the PA's on here are doing. I promise I am not the only PA on here looking for another job. We are not on this forum to just complain about the situation, we are TRYING TO WARN future and current applicants that this may not be the best job to apply for right now. Every month I hear something new about whether or not I am going to take a 25-40% pay cut...that is no way for anyone to live, much less hard working BPA's.

But you're right, I should just quit and forget about my bills,mortgage, and how I am going to live.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11047 users online. 450 members and 10597 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X