300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ccia84 View Post
    Knowing what i know now,i would not take a BPA job these days. I would venture a guess that there is NO WAY you would get Murrieta. Most likely Az or Tx.
    Same. I would have went local.

Comment

You can live where you want. If there is a maximum distance I am unaware of such a limit. If you are assigned to a patrol group then yes, you have muster/roll call. The drive time to the border depends on where your station is located. Casa Grande station has to drive two hours to reach the border, vs Nogales station is on the border.
      So you have to drive to the border everyday? Seems as if most of your work time is driving lol. So if you live 40mins away will your supervisor cut you a break if your late? Also whats the turnover rate for BP?

Comment

• Originally posted by Njw85 View Post
        So you have to drive to the border everyday? Seems as if most of your work time is driving lol. So if you live 40mins away will your supervisor cut you a break if your late? Also whats the turnover rate for BP?
        It's like any job; you are expected to show up on time. Generally, you'll report to your station, then recieve your gear and vehicle and head out.

If you aren't okay with spending the majority of your time in a car then the Border Patrol, and most other LE jobs, is not for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by o2force View Post
          It's like any job; you are expected to show up on time. Generally, you'll report to your station, then recieve your gear and vehicle and head out.

If you aren't okay with spending the majority of your time in a car then the Border Patrol, and most other LE jobs, is not for you.
          Im currently a LEO so I conduct alot of my work inside a vehicle. I think BP would be fun because your actually getting cases through federally instead on the state level. Huge difference. There is a lot of drug trafficking and human trafficking along the border. Challenging but rewarding.

Comment

• Without getting into too much detail, it is very hard to get a case accepted for prosecution. Also, you kind of need suspects to prosecute, which can be very hard to catch...if you want case work, go somewhere else buddy.

Comment

Without getting into too much detail, it is very hard to get a case accepted for prosecution. Also, you kind of need suspects to prosecute, which can be very hard to catch...if you want case work, go somewhere else buddy.
              Im a very active LEO, i can turn a little "crack" rock into a search warrant (thorough investigation), you are right on having a suspect. No matter if your an officer, your still an investigator. Im sure the border can be very boring so it gives you time to work on certain investiagtions/case building. Getting good with the intel guys is a great benefit im sure, also building a great informant (if possible) could be rewarding. Its really about what fits you, being prior LEO, I tend to look at things a little different then some folks. This is a different sytle of law enforcement then what im doing. I work in a city lol so im definitely aware of the culture shock/reality on the border lol.

Sir/maam,

How many years have you been on with BP, if you don't mind me asking? I appreciate all the intel your providing about this job, folks need to know what they are getting into.
              Last edited by Njw85; 04-15-2013, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Im a very active LEO, i can turn a little "crack" rock into a search warrant (thorough investigation), you are right on having a suspect. No matter if your an officer, your still an investigator. Im sure the border can be very boring so it gives you time to work on certain investiagtions/case building. Getting good with the intel guys is a great benefit im sure, also building a great informant (if possible) could be rewarding. Its really about what fits you, being prior LEO, I tend to look at things a little different then some folks. This is a different sytle of law enforcement then what im doing. I work in a city lol so im definitely aware of the culture shock/reality on the border lol.

Sir/maam,

How many years have you been on with BP, if you don't mind me asking? I appreciate all the intel your providing about this job, folks need to know what they are getting into.
                I think that you might have a erronous idea of what it is like to be a Border Patrol Agent. When you get to work you will be assigned a "zone" or some other type of assigment like processing or Checkpoint. Immediately following your morning briefing you will head out to the field and relieve the agent in your zone. While out in the field you will likely be by yourself, in a remote area or sitting on an "x", and have very little interaction with the public. You wont be driving around questioning people, and you certainly will not be working on building a case. If you are, then you are likely leaving something open that will inevitably be exploited by smugglers.

This is not police work; this is the Border Patrol. It is essentially glorified security work.

Comment

Sir/maam,

Regular line agents do not build cases nor do they have informants. IF you are lucky enough to get assigned to a busy sector, you will cut sign, track it out and maybe arrest some of the group you have been following for a few hours. You make your arrests, fill out some simple biographical info and on your way (at least where I am). In case you were insinuating that I am not "active" since I said you need suspects for a case. Catching a drug mule is incredibly tough to do...physically. Some of these mules are very hard dudes, I mean they carry #40-80lbs of cargo up and down mountains for days...as their job. Trying to run one down after tracking for hours is quite a task. In the 5 years have with the border patrol, I have rarely talked to the "intel guys". They are off doing their own work and often do not share much for certain reasons. There is very little correlation between this job and being a police officer. Sure we do "police like" work sometime and on occasion help out the local SO but that is about it. Like I said in my previous post, If you like doing cases then stay where you are or find a different job. If you want to track IA's, arrest 20 people at a time, stand at a checkpoint, potentially lose half you pay, live near the border, and generally be hated by your community...then the Border Patrol is for you.

Forgot to add: yes the border can be quite boring at times and guess what you do? You sit in your truck until you are relived or walk a trail. Now walking a trail might not sound too bad, except it is 105 degrees out and your wearing dark green with 10-20lbs of gear. Point is, when it is boring...it is REALLY BORING!
                  Last edited by ccia84; 04-15-2013, 06:58 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-01-2019, 11:23 PM.

Comment

• I'm and agent and former local cop. The way you describe yourself is exactly the way I used to be as a local. I was the go to guy! Now, I'm a glorified security guard. You will not work cases you will not develop informants and even if you could they (management) will not let you. They would rather you simply sit in your truck, never say anything and read a book. Knowing what I know now I would never leave my job as a local. Yes, I make alot more money but that is the only benefit and it's possible that I will lose that soon. If you like being a cop, trust me, stay. If watching a fence rust sounds fun then go for it. I know this is only my experience in the patrol and each station varies but almost every former cop I've spoken to is extremely dissapointed with the patrol. I'm only sticking it out to provide a better life for my family, they come first. If they cut our pay, I'm out!

Comment

• I understand all of your comments but I tend to think differently about things. Honestly I get burnt out sometimes with jumping out on folks and writing search warrants. A change wouldn't be that bad. At the same time you can learn a different language and make more money. I'm trying to advance to the Feds, doesn't mean I have to stay with that agency. In addition, it would make me a better candidate being fluent in another language. Lastly, if your lucky you have a chance to end up on some type of specialty unit. Right now I'm focus on getting through this process, I'll handle the rest if/when I get in. Thanks guys.

Comment

I understand all of your comments but I tend to think differently about things. Honestly I get burnt out sometimes with jumping out on folks and writing search warrants. A change wouldn't be that bad. At the same time you can learn a different language and make more money. I'm trying to advance to the Feds, doesn't mean I have to stay with that agency. In addition, it would make me a better candidate being fluent in another language. Lastly, if your lucky you have a chance to end up on some type of specialty unit. Right now I'm focus on getting through this process, I'll handle the rest if/when I get in. Thanks guys.
                          Two things for you to keep in mind:

The Border Patrol Spanish program will not make you fluent in spanish, not even remotely. It will give you a decent foundation, but it will still take extensive work on your part to become fluent.

I am not sure what you mean by "advance to the Feds." If you are refering to an 1811 spot, I can assure you that the Border Patrol will do very little to help you achieve that goal. If you are lucky you can get on a task force later on in your career. However, those task force positions are very competitive and generally go to guys with a significant amount of time in and experience.

My advice to anyone is to think long and hard about joining the Border Patrol. Yes, it will likely be a change, but not all change is good.

Comment

Knowing what i know now,i would not take a BPA job these days. I would venture a guess that there is NO WAY you would get Murrieta. Most likely Az or Tx.
                            correct, class 1015 at the academy is 40 rio grande valley texas (19 rio grande city, the busiest station in the country/rest on the border or checkpoints) and 8 for california. dont know the makeup of the newest classes
                            UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                            "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• Originally posted by SyntaxError View Post
                              Just saw the announcement for Border Patrol Agent, and it seems like they extended the announcement by almost 2 months and they estimate the whole process takes up to 12-18 months, at least under this announcement. It seems like they are expecting a lot of Agents to leave or making more room for new Agents. Either way, I hope I make it through the process without a problem because I've heard quite a few horror stories. My long journey starts tomorrow!
                              best of luck to you, but 12 months my ***. the SHORTEST time of anyone in my class was about 20 months i think, and they were mil-intel, etc. that was only one or two. the rest were over two years. i applied 10/10, took the written 01/05/11 (the official 'start of process' mark) and did not get the call until 3/12/13. then they said you have five days to be across the country for your EOD date. at academy now.

best of luck amigo. keep you options open, AUO is under attack and im still all in, but 38K a year before taxes, flat rate, isnt a great deal for the work involved.

EDIT: if they do cut AUO, i bet there will be some openings immediately available for you without commenting on unions, www (dot) NBPC (dot) net is a great site to check to stay up on developments with AUO and whatnot, especially for an applicant like yourself that isnt receiving inter-agency emails about it (NBPC more or less copies and pastes those emails to read on their site). good luck dude
                              Last edited by battlewagon; 04-24-2013, 01:03 AM.
                              UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                              "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• I recently applied for the Border Patrol and took the test on March 16, 2013 in Atlanta. During the test, the recruiter stated we would get the results in 4-6 weeks but still have not heard anything. I just want to know if anyone else took it and how long did it take for the results.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6221 users online. 207 members and 6014 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X