plus this

Originally posted by TopGun87 View Post
    I have F.A.S.T. Team experience.
    and when Critical said FAST is not SOF, you said
    Originally posted by TopGun87 View Post
    Some things are better left not spoken.

Comment

• Originally posted by hangman View Post
      If BPA experience doesn't help someone obtain a future 1811 position, what kind of LE positions does it give you an advantage for? Local LE? etc?
      Back on topic...
      Remember I said "general border patrol work" does not really give you the experience for 1811 positions. Now if you stay with BP for 10-15 years and do Intel, Supervisor, Prosecutions, or BORTAC...all of that will help land a 1811 position. All I meant was that you can't just simply change agencies after 3 years of tracking sign and checking cars at checkpoints. I should have been more clear.

Comment

• I talked to a few LEOs in the PM and thanks for the advice. I started a thread in the Introductions Forum to properly introduce myself to the Forum. No hard feelings I'm getting accustomed to forum etiquette.

BPA Busniness: I read this on usajobs today.

Vacancy Announcement BPA 13-1 has been amended to extend the closing date to Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Due to the extensive pre-employment screening process (12-18 months to complete), we are actively recruiting to fill future Border Patrol Agent vacancies within CBP. If you are interested in a career with CBP as a Border Patrol Agent we encourage you to apply to this announcement.

With this extension I wonder if BPA won't hire for a few years?
        Last edited by TopGun87; 04-10-2013, 05:43 PM.
        The only easy day was yesterday. - BUDS Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by TopGun87 View Post
          I talked to a few LEOs in the PM and thanks for the advice. I started a thread in the Introductions Forum to properly introduce myself to the Forum. No hard feelings I'm getting accustomed to forum etiquette.

BPA Busniness: I read this on usajobs today.

Vacancy Announcement BPA 13-1 has been amended to extend the closing date to Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Due to the extensive pre-employment screening process (12-18 months to complete), we are actively recruiting to fill future Border Patrol Agent vacancies within CBP. If you are interested in a career with CBP as a Border Patrol Agent we encourage you to apply to this announcement.

With this extension I wonder if BPA won't hire for a few years?
          They don't want to pay those of us who have been on the job for years so I would not get all excited about this. This is just for replacing those who retire and quit due to how f##ked up this job has become.

For the record, If you come on this job now you will regret it. This job gets worse by the week. Sometimes by the day. I cannot stress this enough. CBP ruined this job. Go find a quality local department and never look back.

Comment

• I was serious about wanting the job. I tested back in Aug 2010. My BI was sent to IA in Jul 2011. Been sitting there since. I reapplied to the new announcement and received my NOR today. They reused my score frok the 2010 announcement. I scored a 90 before my 10pt pref was added. I am currently a federal employee.

Comment

• Originally posted by hangman View Post
              If BPA experience doesn't help someone obtain a future 1811 position, what kind of LE positions does it give you an advantage for? Local LE? etc?

BPA experience will definitely get you into local law enforcement. An 1811 position? Whole different story.

Comment

Sir, in 2001 I was serving my country while you were joining forums. It amazes me that you sit on any panel and spend as much time as you do in this forum. It's not a very good use of your time as a supervisor, I would imagine. If you were on a panel with me and you called a veteran a liar and told him to shut up, I would relieve you of your duties. Why don't you use your experience as a "panelist" to help some of these unemployed veterans get hired! Instead you're spending all your time criticizing applicants. Now, what wars have you served in? It appears you're not in the hiring process, so what's your purpose here?

For your situational awareness:

BPA Test: Mar 2011
                Passed: Apr 2011

PCS: July 2011.....didn't continue process

BPA Test: Mar 2013
                Waiting on results...
                It really doesn't matter what amazes you. I am using experience to assist applicants. Here is some of that assistance. Don't exaggerate or make false claims concerning work history or Military service. Those doing backgrounds and oral boards will see it a mile away just as those here have seen it a mile away.

In 2001, I was already working in a job that you are trying to obtain. I was not telling half-truths to impress nameless people on an internet forum. It really doesn't matter how many wars you fought in these agencies are looking for mature individuals. You don't show that maturity by making claims that you then refuse to back up. Do you really think that you are the first person to come to a forum and make that claim? Hell, I have seen it made on actual applications and the person couldn't understand why hiring officials were asking questions. They were pretty embarrassed when they had to admit that they were embellishing the truth a bit. The ones that don't own up have no chance to get the job.

My purpose here is because I want to be here. Why do you still not understand you don't get to tell others what they can or can't post. I don't routinely call anyone a lair. Only when the situation calls for it and the person earns that label. You came here claiming to be a former member of a Military Special Operations group. The manner in which you made that claim made many here question the veracity of that claim. That is because the actual LEO's on the forum were using skills that have been developed by years performing a job that involves recognizing when someone is being less than truthful. It is not as easy in print as it is in person for obvious reasons.

You served your country that is commendable. You should be proud of the service you did provide. However, you should also be aware that it does not help you at all to embellish your service in anyway. You are the one that said I should be helping applicants. I am doing just that. You just don't like what is being said to you. Your military service gets you points on the test. In some agencies, it will get you the opportunity to take the test (Marshal's recent test comes to mind). However, the reality is that your specific MOS doesn't really mean anything to the hiring agency. They just want to see if you had military service that you were honorably discharged and you were not a problem child. Those wars you served in (by the way for someone who says that he doesn't like to beat his chest you do an awful lot of it) actually can work against you. The job market is flooded with veterans It really doesn't make you stand out and as special as you would like.

So in end your response is:
                1. You have taken the test but you haven't gotten any NOR as yet.
                2. Your experience is:
                Credentials
                10yrs Marine Corps (grunt)
                2yrs Local cop
                2yrs Fed (intel) - SOD
                It really wasn't that hard to do. There is no shame in not having been in a Special Operations group. You served in the Military which is more than others can say. Be proud of the service but keep in mind especially now that many have that same service and are also looking for a job. Don't make the mistake of trying to make more of it than it is.

Remember, that I have the type of job that you inspire to obtain. Instead of getting ****y because you don't like what I am telling you, perhaps you should realize that I am taking my own time to talk with you. I have been through the process that you are just beginning and now participate in that process on the other side of the table. I may just happen to know a thing or two about getting hired and it may be a bit more than you know.

FB
                Last edited by Firebug; 04-11-2013, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post
                  Remember, that I have the type of job that you inspire to obtain. Instead of getting ****y because you don't like what I am telling you, perhaps you should realize that I am taking my own time to talk with you. I have been through the process that you are just beginning and now participate in that process on the other side of the table. I may just happen to know a thing or two about getting hired and it may be a bit more than you know.

FB
                  I would respectfully disagree and just say we have a difference of opinion. I'm moving on from this issue...

I just really imagine your time as a supervisor would be better utilized by fighting for AUO & FLSA/fighting furloughs/getting BPA journeyman 13 or a host of other issues. Not calling me a "****y". From what I've read in the thread BPA is a great job, but has very bad management (so I've heard). I would urge you not to prove those post accurate! If any of my troops had low morale about leadership, I would work my behind off to boost morale. If I'm lucky to get hired by BPA I would want management to fight for me when it matters, not in forums! If you haven't noticed my post to you are getting shorter & shorter and yours are getting longer & longer. Read between the lines!

With that being said, can you lend your expertise on the recent extension of the BPA announcement to June?

Thanks,
                  Last edited by TopGun87; 04-11-2013, 03:40 PM.
                  The only easy day was yesterday. - BUDS Instructor

Comment

I would respectfully disagree and just say we have a difference of opinion. I'm moving on from this issue...

I just really imagine your time as a supervisor would be better utilized by fighting for AUO & FLSA/fighting furloughs/getting BPA journeyman 13 or a host of other issues. Not calling me a "****y". From what I've read in the thread BPA is a great job, but has very bad management (so I've heard). I would urge you not to prove those post accurate! If any of my troops had low morale about leadership, I would work my behind off to boost morale. If I'm lucky to get hired by BPA I would want management to fight for me when it matters, not in forums! If you haven't noticed my post to you are getting shorter & shorter and yours are getting longer & longer. Read between the lines!

With that being said, can you lend your expertise on the recent extension of the BPA announcement to June?

Thanks,
                    While the topics you mention are certainly important and worth fighting for, it is not my job as a supervisor to do that. In my time as a union steward, absolutely, because that is the union's job. I certainly have an opinion concerning them that would be in line with a rank and file agent but my opinion on those particular subjects are not going to do much.

I am certainly not the only one in this forum that had a problem with your characterization of your service. I am the one that didn't mince words and directly called you on it. It appears that action was correct. That’s Ok it really brings me very little pleasure. The intention was to inform you that it was not helpful and very obvious. I am not going to cut you a lot of slack because you are an adult and served. I would hope that you would not lie to my face I just don't see the forum as any different. I am not your enemy. I am trying to help you out.

My job as a supervisor as it relates to the hiring process certainly includes forming an opinion based on interactions with applicants. Integrity is an important aspect of the overall person. Your ability to be effective in any criminal prosecutions will depend on your track record of telling the truth. You don't want to end up with Giglio issues because you end up being unable to testify. If you have trouble being truthful on a forum when there really is no need to embellish, that can indicate problems in the future. The rest of job as a supervisor, as it relates to the employees, is to ensure that they have equipment and the support to do their job effectively. I will be the first to admit that is lacking at times. The issues really don't change very much as you go up the chain. You just start getting it from both sides. The job also includes backing that employee when they operate in the correct manner and it also includes correcting that employee when they screw up. The rest of the job relates to protecting the agency. That includes from employees that do not correct issues when they do something wrong which can include untruthful employees.

Agencies extend application periods when they feel they did not get enough quality applications to fill an applicant pool. It usually is not a reflection of how many FTE's they are going to hire. Hiring from now to the near future, due to budget issues, probably is going to be very hard to predict. However, personally I can see many agents leaving BP due to the expected changes in overtime. No one knows what those changes will look like or even if they will occur. The agency certainly appears to believe they can save a lot of funds by changing it. That means there will probably end up being some vacancies to fill.

For the record, the word the filter caught is not the word you have assumed it was. I accused you of getting P.I.S.S.Y with me not sure how one mistakes the verb getting for the verb are but so be it. You may very well be a great applicant and a standup guy. However, you came here and made a mistake, one that is common and has happened before. It really is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Take it however you want, but in this occupation you will have the opportunity to make a lot of mistakes. Hopefully, they are not ones that get you killed. The best way to deal with the mistakes is to own them, take responsibility for them and learn from them. It can be a very unforgiving environment.

FB

Comment

• ^^ Excellent mentoring and leadership. Through all the mud slinging still show favor.. Excellent
                      Last edited by cardeea; 04-11-2013, 08:19 PM.

Comment

• Can any current BP Agents explain where a person can live when stationed? I heard you can live anywhere within your sector. So what is it like at the station? Do you have roll call? When working so you have to drive an hour or two to get to the border? Thanks.

Comment

• Does anybody know anything about Progreso, TX
                          Geo:SWB
                          CBPO Exam:08/2/11
                          TSl 1 & 2: 11/14/11 & 11/25/11
                          Medical & Pft1:12/10/11 Passed
                          VBT/SI: 5/10/12 Passed
                          Drug Test: 7/12/12 Passed
                          Qual: (GS-7) Cleared 8/12/12
                          Poly 1 & 2: 9/26/12 & 11/8/12 Passed
                          BI: Met investigator on 12/6 Complete on 3/26/13
                          TSU: 3/28/13
                          EOD: 8/12/13 (Brownsville, TX)
                          FLETC: 9/13/13

Comment

• Originally posted by Njw85 View Post
                            Can any current BP Agents explain where a person can live when stationed? I heard you can live anywhere within your sector. So what is it like at the station? Do you have roll call? When working so you have to drive an hour or two to get to the border? Thanks.
                            You can live where you want. If there is a maximum distance I am unaware of such a limit. If you are assigned to a patrol group then yes, you have muster/roll call. The drive time to the border depends on where your station is located. Casa Grande station has to drive two hours to reach the border, vs Nogales station is on the border.

Comment

• My CASS says "Referred to Schedule EOD" and "You have been referred to the scheduling unit." I'm guessing this means I'm waiting for an EOD. I applied around July 2011 and tested in September 2011 after hearing that BPA experience is a great way to become an 1811. Since then I've gone back to school for my Master's in Public Admin and I'm almost about to get vested in the retirement system at my local government job as an Inspector (this system has reciprocity with pretty much any public LE agency in California). Posts like those from SHU make me think I might be better served declining the offer and looking at other LE gigs. I'm currently nearing 28 years of age so I guess I have a little bit of time on my side.

There's a station here in Murrieta but it sounds like I should eliminiate the possibility of being stationed there from my mind.

Comment

• Knowing what i know now,i would not take a BPA job these days. I would venture a guess that there is NO WAY you would get Murrieta. Most likely Az or Tx.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6024 users online. 182 members and 5842 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X