Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last night, when I was watching Border Wars I noticed that some Border Patrol Agents wear plain clothes, conduct investigations, and execute warrants on suspected traffickers. How long does it take to join that unit? Do they go to CITP for training? Is that considered BPA (intel) or something different?
    The only easy day was yesterday. - BUDS Instructor

Comment

• Some get into intel units in just a couple of years, other have to wait 7-10 years for a chance, Some areas have a lot of positions, some have only a handful.

There were rumors of sending select agents to CITP in 2011-12 but that seems to have disappeared due to the budget issues.

Comment

• It depends on the station. We have a couple guys in our intel unit that were in FTO less than a year ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by TopGun87 View Post
          Last night, when I was watching Border Wars I noticed that some Border Patrol Agents wear plain clothes, conduct investigations, and execute warrants on suspected traffickers. How long does it take to join that unit? Do they go to CITP for training? Is that considered BPA (intel) or something different?
          Most of what Intel does for BP (I am not speaking of task force work), has absolutely nothing to do with investigations. BP does not perform the kind of investigations you might be thinking about. If you want to be an investigator, apply elsewhere.
          Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

• Originally posted by mayburymh View Post
            It depends on the station. We have a couple guys in our intel unit that were in FTO less than a year ago.
            Won't happen now. Look at the Intel announcement on usajobs, you have to be a GS-12 to apply. Keep in mind that BP does not hire at GS-12, it hires at the highest GS-9, so it will be 2 years minimum before a person could even apply.
            Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

• Originally posted by Albert Wesker View Post
              Won't happen now. Look at the Intel announcement on usajobs, you have to be a GS-12 to apply. Keep in mind that BP does not hire at GS-12, it hires at the highest GS-9, so it will be 2 years minimum before a person could even apply.
              Sorry, I should have clarified. I didn't mean the lead intel positions on usajobs. I meant our in-house intel unit at the station level. It used to be called disrupt, but now it's called like "flex intel unit" or some BS. It's really just an excuse to grow a beard and work double Sundays.

Comment

• @ current Agents: How long does it usually take to pick up Supervisor? I've heard 7-10 yrs. but may be wrong.

Comment

• That's hard to answer. You need at least one year as a 12 before you can apply, but being promoted depends on the station and the person. Number of openings makes a difference too.

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-01-2019, 10:30 PM.

Comment

@ current Agents: How long does it usually take to pick up Supervisor? I've heard 7-10 yrs. but may be wrong.
                      Becoming a Sup is easier than getting on intel. It's also easier than getting most special details/assignments. I have seen a lot of guys do it in 4-5 years. It takes absolutely no sucking up either. The guys I know who did it did pretty well on the test, and agreed to go to less desirable locations (Ajo).

Comment

• Originally posted by SHU View Post
                        Kissing the right *** is very important when seeking promotion in the patrol. Merit has very little to do with it. But no matter how much *** you kiss, nothing beats a marginally attractive female when it comes to getting a promotion or some highly sought after detail on this job.
                        I don't want to sound close minded but I am a product of the Marine Corps Infantry. I never worked with women my entire career, until I started my current fed job 2 yrs ago. I have learned not to say certain things in the office that might offend people. I was under the impression that the BP was heavily male dominated, however I do see female agents from time to time on Border Wars. After reading SHU comments above, I want to know is their a strong "espirit de corps" among male and female BP agents? Basically, is the work environment conducive for male and females agents to work w/o playing the teacher's favorite pet game?

Comment

I don't want to sound close minded but I am a product of the Marine Corps Infantry. I never worked with women my entire career, until I started my current fed job 2 yrs ago. I have learned not to say certain things in the office that might offend people. I was under the impression that the BP was heavily male dominated, however I do see female agents from time to time on Border Wars. After reading SHU comments above, I want to know is their a strong "espirit de corps" among male and female BP agents? Basically, is the work environment conduciveoo for male and females agents to work w/o playing the teacher's favorite pet game?
                          No. It's probably similar to the situation in the military.

Comment

• SHU is pretty dead on in regards to those comments. I am in a different sector and the favoritism towards somewhat "decent" women is stupid. I know a few females who jump from detail to detail without ever hitting the line.

Comment

• Originally posted by o2force View Post
                              No. It's probably similar to the situation in the military.
                              Thanks for the heads up! I often see BPA's wearing black boots in desert. Are you allowed to wear desert jungle boots instead? Can you buy and wear your own specialized duty belt like Black Hawk products? I have tons of extra gear left over from Iraq. I guess from your statement above Bike Patrol is out of the question until you get some serious seniority on the line?

Comment

Thanks for the heads up! I often see BPA's wearing black boots in desert. Are you allowed to wear desert jungle boots instead? Can you buy and wear your own specialized duty belt like Black Hawk products? I have tons of extra gear left over from Iraq. I guess from your statement above Bike Patrol is out of the question until you get some serious seniority on the line?
                                The boots have to be black unless you're part of some sort of specialty unit that allows tan boots. It sucks and your feet bake in the sun, but such is life. The biggest problem with wearing boots other than those that are issued is foot sign.

As far as bike patrol, my station has a ton of agents on bikes with less than 3 years in. It really doesn't take that long. Heck, just a few months ago there was a training solicitation for the ATV unit, and all of the students had less than 2 years in.

EDIT: As a caveat to the bike patrol question, my station is pretty junior overall, so that likely has an impact on how quickly you can get into the different units. If you have 7 years in at my station, you're in the top third as far as seniority.
                                Last edited by mayburymh; 04-04-2013, 05:13 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9469 users online. 450 members and 9019 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X