300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shawn_lo bue View Post
    Those are the two duty station choices they gave me, and I don't have ten years.
    You do know that the CBP Officer job is not the same as the Border Patrol Agent job right? In the CBPO job you will be working at a port of entry. In the BPA job you will be running through the desert chasing illegal aliens.
    Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

• If you haven't already done so, please sign this petition. Thank you for your support.

petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/prevent-reduction-border-patrol-agents-pay-and-benefits-prevent-attrition-and-corruption/qFXtCFgX
      MSP 1896

Comment

• Would being a BPA for a year give me the experience (along with a college degree already) to become more applicable with other FLE agencies? I'm going on 31 in a few months, and with no bites, not even referral, since I graduated from college in August of 2011, I may have to suck it up and try BP for a year or two.

Thanks
        CBP Officer

08/31/14-Tested
        02/28/14-TSL Received
        03/18/14-PFT1/MED
        07/01/14-VBT/SI
        07/19/14-EQUIP Submitted
        07/22/14-Credit Report Pulled

Comment

• Originally posted by cur679 View Post
          Would being a BPA for a year give me the experience (along with a college degree already) to become more applicable with other FLE agencies? I'm going on 31 in a few months, and with no bites, not even referral, since I graduated from college in August of 2011, I may have to suck it up and try BP for a year or two.

Thanks
          If you mean an 1811 position then I can almost guarantee that it won't. A year of anything probably won't make that much of a difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by cur679 View Post
            Would being a BPA for a year give me the experience (along with a college degree already) to become more applicable with other FLE agencies? I'm going on 31 in a few months, and with no bites, not even referral, since I graduated from college in August of 2011, I may have to suck it up and try BP for a year or two.

Thanks
            No. I have been on for 5 years and have a Masters, am fluent in espanol, and have 5 years before BP as a Deputy Sheriff. I still can't get an 1811 gig.

As for sucking it up and taking a BP gig, I strongly suggest you look local if getting investigative experience is your goal.
            Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

• Originally posted by Albert Wesker View Post
              Wow, you picked that craphole Falfurrias over RGC?!?!?!
              Let me clarify, as I guess I wasn't very clear in my post. Falfurrias is a checkpoint station. It is not on the border. You will probably be working at the checkpoint 4 out of 5 days a week. You probably will not get a lot of time out in the field tracking groups and getting dope, especially since when you are new. You will probably have to process aliens all the time. You probably will have a lot of casework, based on dope that a K-9 found rolling up to the point.

Now compare that to what the guys down in RGC are doing. It's a completely different world, and your classmates will be busy running around catching bodies most days, while you are getting confronted by crazed citizens who think you are violating their rights, and processing bodies for hours on end.

Comment

• Originally posted by Albert Wesker View Post
                No. I have been on for 5 years and have a Masters, am fluent in espanol, and have 5 years before BP as a Deputy Sheriff. I still can't get an 1811 gig.

As for sucking it up and taking a BP gig, I strongly suggest you look local if getting investigative experience is your goal.
                Different strokes for different folks...

I'm going on 7 years in BP (5+ intel) and have been on lists for laterals and status GS 12 and 13 1811 positions. A guy I worked with is in CITP right now as a 12.

But one year won't help you, even 10 years won't help if all you do is work the line...

Comment

• ugh, I am trying to apply for position on usa but I keep getting error button

Comment

• Originally posted by madchiken View Post
                    Different strokes for different folks...

I'm going on 7 years in BP (5+ intel) and have been on lists for laterals and status GS 12 and 13 1811 positions. A guy I worked with is in CITP right now as a 12.

But one year won't help you, even 10 years won't help if all you do is work the line...
                    Well I haven't once qualified for a GS-12 lateral 1811 position, but I don't have any task force experience, and I don't work in Intel (though I have applied). Not all of us get lucky and get in Intel with only 2 years in the patrol. In some sectors it is more competitive. Still, I have done far more than just work the line, if you are trying to imply that. Just as an example I am an Acting Sup right now.

I have however made it pretty far in entry level processes, only to get hit with a hiring freezes and have my applications thrown out because I'm not a vet.
                    Last edited by Albert Wesker; 03-07-2013, 02:31 AM.

Comment

• I am going to take test next week. I got 8 out of 8 right in spanish practice test =)

Comment

• How dangerous would you OTJ guys consider this field? Also, how do you get into intel ?

Comment

• How dangerous is kind of an opinionated question.

Tracking 15 IA's carrying dope in the middle of the night with no moon in the mountains with two other agents...

That is a no BS scenario that happens all the time where I work. Other stations sit at checkpoints (unfortunately for them).

Don't you watch Border Wars dude!!! The real BP is EXACTLY like that...minus all the helo's, atv's, uav's...

Comment

• Originally posted by ccia84 View Post
                            How dangerous is kind of an opinionated question.

Tracking 15 IA's carrying dope in the middle of the night with no moon in the mountains with two other agents...

That is a no BS scenario that happens all the time where I work. Other stations sit at checkpoints (unfortunately for them).

Don't you watch Border Wars dude!!! The real BP is EXACTLY like that...minus all the helo's, atv's, uav's...
                            I think it's exciting on BWs but what about all those cartels do you guys encounter them at all?

Comment

• Originally posted by SHINYBADGE View Post
                              I think it's exciting on BWs but what about all those cartels do you guys encounter them at all?
                              In general they do not want to cause trouble here. It is very bad for business. But with that said, it does not mean they are not dangerous.

Comment

• Just a quick question about residence living. I heard that some agents commute to certain locations and then leave when on their rec days. I also heard that BP provides living for agents in some locations. Anyone who are current BP, can you explain those questions? Thanks.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 14763 users online. 463 members and 14300 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X