Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Volunteer Firefighting count for the 1 year experience of a GS-5? Anyone know someone who did this?

Comment

• Originally posted by SHINYBADGE View Post
      Will Volunteer Firefighting count for the 1 year experience of a GS-5? Anyone know someone who did this?
      It should

Comment

• BPA test is scheduled for 3/18 in Bensalem, PA
        Geo:SWB
        CBPO Exam:08/2/11
        TSl 1 & 2: 11/14/11 & 11/25/11
        Medical & Pft1:12/10/11 Passed
        VBT/SI: 5/10/12 Passed
        Drug Test: 7/12/12 Passed
        Qual: (GS-7) Cleared 8/12/12
        Poly 1 & 2: 9/26/12 & 11/8/12 Passed
        BI: Met investigator on 12/6 Complete on 3/26/13
        TSU: 3/28/13
        EOD: 8/12/13 (Brownsville, TX)
        FLETC: 9/13/13

Comment

• Border Patrol is seriously underpaid, not overpaid, IMHO. It's always funny how people making 170k a year say that someone making 38k at base starting salary is overpaid. What a shame.

I had thought about going to apply to Border Patrol before, but it just doesn't seem to be worth it. Too bad for them, they are probably missing out on a lot of qualified applicants such as myself who are veterans, minorities, law enforcement experienced, and have at least an AA degree. Not trying to toot my own horn, but this is the reality of it. We should have more BPA's than any other FLEO agency I think.

Good luck to those that apply, and those that are serving/working there now. Hopefully it gets better soon!

Comment

• I disagree.

In terms of law enforcement, BPAs actually get paid pretty well. They are journeyman GS-12, with AUO (25%), and FLSA, something that most other federal law enforcement agencies can't claim to have. While BPAs are not journeyman GS-13s, like most 1811 positions, it is not terribly difficult to promote up to a supervisor.

If I were to guess, the reason someone may chose not to apply to the Border Patrol is not because of the pay, but rather because of the living situation, work environment, and type of work. A lot of people may simply not want to live and work on the border, frankly; it is a harsh environment. Secondly, they may want to be a criminal investigator. While the USBP does have task force assignments and the BPA(I) position, they do not have a nation-wide, dedicated criminal investigator position.

If you consider that the Border Patrol requires almost no work experience and no college degree it is a very high paying job.

Comment

• Originally posted by o2force View Post
              I disagree.

In terms of law enforcement, BPAs actually get paid pretty well. They are journeyman GS-12, with AUO (25%), and FLSA, something that most other federal law enforcement agencies can't claim to have. While BPAs are not journeyman GS-13s, like most 1811 positions, it is not terribly difficult to promote up to a supervisor.

If I were to guess, the reason someone may chose not to apply to the Border Patrol is not because of the pay, but rather because of the living situation, work environment, and type of work. A lot of people may simply not want to live and work on the border, frankly; it is a harsh environment. Secondly, they may want to be a criminal investigator. While the USBP does have task force assignments and the BPA(I) position, they do not have a nation-wide, dedicated criminal investigator position.

If you consider that the Border Patrol requires almost no work experience and no college degree it is a very high paying job.
              I absolutely agree with this post. The average BPA isn't doing half of the high level stuff that an 1811 does. Unless you are on a task force, or working in prosectutions, or in Intel, you probably are doing some pretty simple case work at best. (many agents very rarely or never do case work) Most agents in the field don't even do as much administrative processing as ICE IEAs, but we get paid more than them. At the busier stations, the only work some agents do is catch the aliens, then fill out the 826.

The real reason we have GS-12 is for retention issues. The locations and working conditions suck so bad and the turnover was so high that without raising the pay, many wouldn't stick around. That's why the agency would be shooting itself in the foot in my opinion by giving massive pay cuts. Loss of AUO and FLSA alone is 25% of my pay. Throw in furlough days on top of that and I would essentially be taking a 35% pay cut. Now I'm not some big spender or anything, and I will be able to pay my bills, but having to live in this small border town in the middle of nowhere for pay that I could get working back at my former Sheriff's Office with a little overtime just isn't worth it.
              Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

• I got a call this morning with two offers, Rio Grande City and Falfurrias Texas. I did a little research and called a couple of friends in the BP. I eventually picked Falfurrias, TX. I report March 18th at my sector.

Comment

• Originally posted by o2force View Post
                  I disagree.

Ok, If they are at the GS12 then that makes a lot more sense, I was under the impression that they started out at a GS5 level according to their job flyer. I remember reading a few years back that the US Marshals started out in the high 20k range, but that was at the low GS level too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raider510 View Post
                    Ok, If they are at the GS12 then that makes a lot more sense, I was under the impression that they started out at a GS5 level according to their job flyer. I remember reading a few years back that the US Marshals started out in the high 20k range, but that was at the low GS level too.
                    BPA's start out at GL-5 and GL-7 but advance to 12 in a few years of hire. No starting out out at GS-12.
                    Last edited by payniel; 03-01-2013, 08:32 AM.
                    CBPO:
                    Test- 05/12
                    NOR- 08/12 (95- w/5 point vet pref)
                    TSL1/2-08/12
                    PFT1/Med-09/12
                    VBT/SI-10/12
                    Poly-11/12
                    BI-12/12
                    TSU-01/24/13
                    1st "Call"-02/26/13- 30 day referral for a better selection

OCSO:
                    Applied- 06/12
                    PFT-07/12
                    CJBAT- 12/12
                    Panel Interview- 01/13
                    BI- in process

FBI
                    Phase two: probably never

Comment

• Originally posted by Waterpistola View Post
                      so I signed up as well...they said they would use my 2006 BPA test score and I won't have to test! Looking at the looming cuts, I don't see why they put out an announcement.
                      They put out the announcement because they have to hire GL-5 and GL-7 newbies to replace all of us GS-12s who are currently looking for greener pastures. And trust me, EVERYONE I know is looking now.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrPoliceOfficer View Post
                        I got a call this morning with two offers, Rio Grande City and Falfurrias Texas. I did a little research and called a couple of friends in the BP. I eventually picked Falfurrias, TX. I report March 18th at my sector.
                        Wow, you picked that craphole Falfurrias over RGC?!?!?!
                        Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

• I think it was mentioned previously in this thread, but great sites with info:

honorfirst.com and bpspouses.com

Comment

• Anyone have any input on duty stations at Beecher Falls, VT or Derby, VT?

Comment

• Originally posted by shawn_lo bue View Post
                              Anyone have any input on duty stations at Beecher Falls, VT or Derby, VT?
                              Yes dont expect to get either of those stations por lo menos diez anos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Albert Wesker View Post
                                Yes dont expect to get either of those stations por lo menos diez anos.
                                Those are the two duty station choices they gave me, and I don't have ten years.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10787 users online. 509 members and 10278 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X