Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBP OFO needs bodies because who wants to get ordered to work overtime every other day and stand on your feet for 16 hours? Combine that will bad management and the same routine everyday, and you have a receipe for high turnover.

I don't know of any other agency, other than maybe ICE, that does as much overtime ordering as CBP OFO.

Comment

• Hi everyone I have a question after I send my paper work how long would it take to get the pft1 date
      I just want to get in better shape before the test date thanks

Comment

• You probably have about a month. This could vary greatly depending upon location, availability of testing, and how quickly they are processing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Escapar La Frontera View Post
          CBP academy is now run by Border Patrol. I have never attended the BP Academy. I attended the "new" CBP academy and now work on the SWB. I will tell you that if you are at all mentally-aware and not a completely obese soup sandwich the CBP will be a total cake walk. If you are prior-military or LE then you will have no problem. The instructors at the CBP academy will give you many many second chances. The emphasis is on graduating 100%. Things that would get you kicked out of any normal police academy will be overlooked at CBP Academy. They need bodies because morale is so low that the agency loses tons of officers to attrition every day.

I work with several former BP Agents. In fact, some of them were previously temporary Training Officers at the BP Academy. Even the new CBP academy is the complete opposite of the BP academy. The whole CBP academy trains you on how to work at an airport environment. The fact is most instructors and administrators at the CBP academy come from airports. Even though the top guy wears green, the rest of the academy is unmistakably "true blue". Then you show up at the SWB and have to learn everything all over again.
          Enough of the inaccurate information, The OFO academy is NOT being run by Border Patrol. The training academies of both the office of Border Patrol and Office of Field Operation fall under Fletc which is a separate entity from both OBP and OFO. You have a lot to learn when you fail to understand the organization of the agency that you work for. That is why officers and agents for both agencies should spend the first couple of years with their agency spending all their effort learning the job instead of attempting to bad mouth it. It makes it even worst when the information is wrong.

If you don't like the agency resign, PM me and I will help you with that. I certainly would want to work with you considering your attitude. I can assure you a "normal police agency" would not put up with your attitude either.

FB

Comment

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post
            Enough of the inaccurate information, The OFO academy is NOT being run by Border Patrol. The training academies of both the office of Border Patrol and Office of Field Operation fall under Fletc which is a separate entity from both OBP and OFO. You have a lot to learn when you fail to understand the organization of the agency that you work for. That is why officers and agents for both agencies should spend the first couple of years with their agency spending all their effort learning the job instead of attempting to bad mouth it. It makes it even worst when the information is wrong.

If you don't like the agency resign, PM me and I will help you with that. I certainly would want to work with you considering your attitude. I can assure you a "normal police agency" would not put up with your attitude either.

FB
            Since I never attended the OFO acadmey, I will only talk about the USBP Academy. However, I imagine that both are run in a similar way. The Border Patrol Academy is run by a Border Patrol command staff, it has a chief, deputy chief, assistant chiefs, and a slew of TOS's and Sup's. The staff of Border Patrol Agents at the academy, and seperate locations, are responsible for developing the curriculum and practices as well ensuring that it is carried out. Border Patrol Agents teach every class you'll take. The Border Patrol academy is located on a FLETC facility so FLETC is responsible for the facilities, i.e. the classrooms, computers, gym, etc., but they have very little say on the actual day to day aspects of what makes the BP Academy the BP Academy. FLETC may have certain parameters that the BP Academy must fit within, but the range is pretty open.

With that said, because the BP Academy is on a FLETC facility FLETC has the ultimate say on some things, especially the safety of trainees. I have heard of FLETC stepping-in in certain situations, but that isn't very often.

From my experience the BP Academy is definitely a BP run academy, not FLETC. You can tell simply by the absolute difference in experiences that a BP Agent, Air Marshal, and BIA Officer will have, yet they all attend schooling at the same facility.

The case may be different for CITP, but it is not for BP.
            Last edited by o2force; 01-21-2013, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by o2force View Post
              Since I never attended the OFO acadmey, I will only talk about the USBP Academy. However, I imagine that both are run in a similar way. The Border Patrol Academy is run by a Border Patrol command staff, it has a chief, deputy chief, assistant chiefs, and a slew of TOS's and Sup's. The staff of Border Patrol Agents at the academy, and seperate locations, are responsible for developing the curriculum and practices as well ensuring that it is carried out. Border Patrol Agents teach every class you'll take. The Border Patrol academy is located on a FLETC facility so FLETC is responsible for the facilities, i.e. the classrooms, computers, gym, etc., but they have very little say on the actual day to day aspects of what makes the BP Academy the BP Academy. FLETC may have certain parameters that the BP Academy must fit within, but the range is pretty open.

With that said, because the BP Academy is on a FLETC facility FLETC has the ultimate say on some things, especially the safety of trainees. I have heard of FLETC stepping-in in certain situations, but that isn't very often.

From my experience the BP Academy is definitely a BP run academy, not FLETC. You can tell simply by the absolute difference in experiences that a BP Agent, Air Marshal, and BIA Officer will have, yet they all attend schooling at the same facility.

The case may be different for CITP, but it is not for BP.
              I agree with most of what is posted here. However, changes do, have, and will occur. One only has to look at what has transpired over the years in the training environment. The use of the 6 1/2 month and 10 month tests being discontinued, the way Spanish training is now undertaken by BP and a slew of other subtle changes that have occurred mostly after the creation of DHS. I am also no way implying that all the changes have been positive just that they have happened. That Chief of the Border Patrol academy answers to someone (Chief Fisher) and that Border Patrol Chief answers to someone as well. The BP academy does not operate in a vacuum and unfortunately has had to take input from sources it may not have liked and will probably continue to have to do so in the foreseeable future.

FB

Comment

CBP academy is now run by Border Patrol. I have never attended the BP Academy. I attended the "new" CBP academy and now work on the SWB. I will tell you that if you are at all mentally-aware and not a completely obese soup sandwich the CBP will be a total cake walk. If you are prior-military or LE then you will have no problem. The instructors at the CBP academy will give you many many second chances. The emphasis is on graduating 100%. Things that would get you kicked out of any normal police academy will be overlooked at CBP Academy. They need bodies because morale is so low that the agency loses tons of officers to attrition every day.

I work with several former BP Agents. In fact, some of them were previously temporary Training Officers at the BP Academy. Even the new CBP academy is the complete opposite of the BP academy. The whole CBP academy trains you on how to work at an airport environment. The fact is most instructors and administrators at the CBP academy come from airports. Even though the top guy wears green, the rest of the academy is unmistakably "true blue". Then you show up at the SWB and have to learn everything all over again.
                Sent you a pm.

Comment

FB
                  Yeah, a PA is in charge of the OFO academy and has been for a while now. Maybe you should check facts before you run your mouth.
                  Last edited by madchiken; 01-21-2013, 04:56 PM.

Comment

FWIW, current attrition for both positions is fairly low and morale is on the upswing. Maybe you're using old data. Anyhow the 'morale is so low that the agency loses tons of officers to attrition every day' is old hat, obsolete and outdated. Check your facts.

You also might want to research other federal law enforcement academies. Few have anything other than an 'emphasis is on graduating 100%'. That's the nature of the beast.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                      FWIW, current attrition for both positions is fairly low and morale is on the upswing. Maybe you're using old data. Anyhow the 'morale is so low that the agency loses tons of officers to attrition every day' is old hat, obsolete and outdated. Check your facts.

You also might want to research other federal law enforcement academies. Few have anything other than an 'emphasis is on graduating 100%'. That's the nature of the beast.
                      Morale is in the toilet, there just isnt anywhere else to go right now...

Comment

• Originally posted by madchiken View Post
                        Do you think it's worse now than in years past? At least within OFO, things were far worse post-merger through 2007 or so.

Comment

Yeah, a PA is in charge of the OFO academy and has been for a while now. Maybe you should check facts before you run your mouth.
                          Don't have to check I am well aware. The individual that is the head of the OFO academy is FORMER Border Patrol agent. He is not currently getting his paycheck from the Office of the Border Patrol. His chain of command is not in nor does it include anyone from the Border Patrol. The fact is he gets his marching orders from his chain of command which is the OTD (office of training and development) which also happens to be where the Chief of the Border Patrol academy gets his as well since the Border Patrol academy's falls under OTD as well and NOT the OBP (office of Border Patrol) Perhaps you should take a peek at how the agencies have been organized since the formation of DHS as well before you accuse others of not being informed. I promise you that I have been exposed to both command staffs at both academies much more than I would have liked. It kinda was expected that I knew how they worked and how they interacted. It was self-preservation.

Comment

Morale is a personal and subjective thing. I can certainly understand that Border Patrol morale is low. AUO being attacked, the other changes that I spoke about in training, falling under CBP, the fact is there is significant change going on in both agencies. That tends to always affect morale. However, it can affect it in both directions. In OFO, there was just as much resentment among all the separate components that were being merged just as much I would wager that was being felt in the Border Patrol when they were told they would be falling under the Customs and Border Protection umbrella. In OFO, after that initial shock wore off and after years of growing pains I believe that in OFO the morale has been on an increase. I agree with you that the same cannot be said for Border Patrol. Unfortunately, I believe that if something’s are not resolved in the government as a whole, things are going to get much worse for both agencies and morale in both will suffer greatly

FB

Comment

Don't have to check I am well aware. The individual that is the head of the OFO academy is FORMER Border Patrol agent. He is not currently getting his paycheck from the Office of the Border Patrol. His chain of command is not in nor does it include anyone from the Border Patrol. The fact is he gets his marching orders from his chain of command which is the OTD (office of training and development) which also happens to be where the Chief of the Border Patrol academy gets his as well since the Border Patrol academy's falls under OTD as well and NOT the OBP (office of Border Patrol) Perhaps you should take a peek at how the agencies have been organized since the formation of DHS as well before you accuse others of not being informed. I promise you that I have been exposed to both command staffs at both academies much more than I would have liked. It kinda was expected that I knew how they worked and how they interacted. It was self-preservation.
                              I'm actually glad to have heard about the improvements to the OFO academy that I have read about recently. Marching, yelling, and a much tougher PT program. Not only that, but more difficult firearms quals, and driving training. It sounds like they made some good improvements, and some of them might be because of influence from Border Patrol.

Originally posted by Firebug View Post
                              Morale is a personal and subjective thing. I can certainly understand that Border Patrol morale is low. AUO being attacked, the other changes that I spoke about in training, falling under CBP, the fact is there is significant change going on in both agencies. That tends to always affect morale. However, it can affect it in both directions. In OFO, there was just as much resentment among all the separate components that were being merged just as much I would wager that was being felt in the Border Patrol when they were told they would be falling under the Customs and Border Protection umbrella. In OFO, after that initial shock wore off and after years of growing pains I believe that in OFO the morale has been on an increase. I agree with you that the same cannot be said for Border Patrol. Unfortunately, I believe that if something’s are not resolved in the government as a whole, things are going to get much worse for both agencies and morale in both will suffer greatly

FB
                              I personally don't believe morale in BP is as low as you would think. In fact the grand majority of agents are very happy in their jobs. In fact more than 50% of all BPAs were hired after 2007 (years after the merger), so the merger is meaningless to us, we have no clue what it was like pre-merger. Of course there are problems, but most of us wouldn't trade in these green uniforms for OFO blue no matter the location offered.

The issues we are concerned with (overtime/AUO, budget uncertainty, transfers) are actually issues that are important to CBPOs as well.

Sure there are boring parts to being a BPA, but I guarantee that the exciting parts will make you able to bear the boring parts. I can't tell the applicants here all of the things I have seen and done. I work at a relatively slow station, and still it turns into an absolute mad house at times.

I don't want people to think I hate my job because they see me post looking for an 1811 position. No, it's quite the opposite, I really like my job, I just want to do deeper investigations. We are limited in the kind of things we can do and the tactics that we can use due to the very nature of the job.
                              Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

Lets simplify this. Has the individual in charge of the OFO academy ever worked at a POE in the 1895 series or as an II or CI? No, because he is a BPA. If you want to get into semantics we can do this all day. The guys point was that a PA was in charge over it and there is in fact a PA in charge.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6091 users online. 253 members and 5838 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X