Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes there is a GYM and is real nice! I believe is open till 10pm
    But just remember you have to study.
    Anyhow you will have plenty of time to work out.

Comment

• Okay, Gang, I need some help.

I've been in process a while now. THought I was all done, until I received a new letter via certified mail. Bare in mind, I already received confirmation that I passed my Polygraph, this past December. Also, bare in mind that I have been working in federal L/E for many years and am currently a 083 federal police officer. However, this letter states that I have been found ineligible and the CBP is recinding their tentative offer, due to concerns that arose in my background investigation.

The said concerns are due to my admittance of using illegal narcotics in my past, in addition to me recently missing 3 mortgage payments on my east coast property:

As far as the narcotics, I used them twice. I was even able to supply the dates, and it was more than 13 years ago. Since, I've completed many years of active duty military, earned 2 college degrees, earned an ordination as a minister/clergy, worked in federal l/e to complete numerous solid narco cases in addition to much more.

The property was recently trashed by my renters and we are not able to pump funds into it to repair and/or able to sell. Therefroe, before we even fell into default with the bank, we contacted and arranged a short sale plan with that very bank. We even depleted our entire savings account in an attempt to keep up the mortgage until the bank was on board with this plan. Other than that, my credit is amazing.

Here is the help that I need from you folks. I fully plan to contest this recent decision. But before I do so, I am attempting to better understand some things. I was under the understanding that minimal prior drug use was not necessarily grounds for dismisal. It appeared to be this way, especially since they knew about it from my admittance in my polygraph AND in meeting my BI when I clearly explained it all to him. The BI expained to me (back in Dec/Jan) that this is usually not a reason for dismisal.

In your experience and/or knowledge, did I recently recieve this dismisal letter merely because of my rental property (it only recently went into default...May-Jul) in cinjuction with my drug use of years ago? Or is it standard to dismis an applicant due to ANY drug use? What are your thoughts on this issue?

And to thwart any replies of condemnation...yes, I obviously regret having made those poor choices in my past. I am obviously ashamed of it, and have never had any plans of doing it again (13 years ago). I also have worked dilligently with troubled teens to combat this issue in our local area as well. So if you feel the need to tell me about how I shouldn't minimalize my mistakes, and need to own them, thanks...but I've already got that message under full advisement. As for anyone else, able to offer guidance...PLEASE and THANK YOU.
      CBPO
      Exam: 07/11; NOR: 8/11 99 w/Vet Pts; Qualifications: (GS-7 Step 4); T.O: 09/11 (SWB); PFT1: 9/11; Med Cleared: 4/12; VBT/S.I.: 10/11; Drug Test: Passed 6/11; Poly: Passed 12/08/11; BI: Complete 12/28/11, PFT2: Passed 12/12/12, EOD: 12/31/12 San Ysidro

Comment

• so verve, this wasn't a NOPA where they gave you time to respond to the letter? was it a straight rejection? also, i mean drug use is bad but if you disclosed it and if it really was 13 years ago i don't see the problem but its at their discretion I'm guessing. I'm sure one of the guys who got EOD or TO can definitely help you out with this one, but i would speak to IA or my BI if i can. it does sound unfair after waiting so long to come through with this, but since you are fed LE you should know its quite unpredictable. whats confusing is you passed the poly, and you show the BI is complete… yea I'm sure someone more experienced can help you on here, try delphi as well.. best of luck sir

Originally posted by Verve10 View Post
        Okay, Gang, I need some help.

I've been in process a while now. THought I was all done, until I received a new letter via certified mail. Bare in mind, I already received confirmation that I passed my Polygraph, this past December. Also, bare in mind that I have been working in federal L/E for many years and am currently a 083 federal police officer. However, this letter states that I have been found ineligible and the CBP is recinding their tentative offer, due to concerns that arose in my background investigation.

The said concerns are due to my admittance of using illegal narcotics in my past, in addition to me recently missing 3 mortgage payments on my east coast property:

As far as the narcotics, I used them twice. I was even able to supply the dates, and it was more than 13 years ago. Since, I've completed many years of active duty military, earned 2 college degrees, earned an ordination as a minister/clergy, worked in federal l/e to complete numerous solid narco cases in addition to much more.

The property was recently trashed by my renters and we are not able to pump funds into it to repair and/or able to sell. Therefroe, before we even fell into default with the bank, we contacted and arranged a short sale plan with that very bank. We even depleted our entire savings account in an attempt to keep up the mortgage until the bank was on board with this plan. Other than that, my credit is amazing.

Here is the help that I need from you folks. I fully plan to contest this recent decision. But before I do so, I am attempting to better understand some things. I was under the understanding that minimal prior drug use was not necessarily grounds for dismisal. It appeared to be this way, especially since they knew about it from my admittance in my polygraph AND in meeting my BI when I clearly explained it all to him. The BI expained to me (back in Dec/Jan) that this is usually not a reason for dismisal.

In your experience and/or knowledge, did I recently recieve this dismisal letter merely because of my rental property (it only recently went into default...May-Jul) in cinjuction with my drug use of years ago? Or is it standard to dismis an applicant due to ANY drug use? What are your thoughts on this issue?

And to thwart any replies of condemnation...yes, I obviously regret having made those poor choices in my past. I am obviously ashamed of it, and have never had any plans of doing it again (13 years ago). I also have worked dilligently with troubled teens to combat this issue in our local area as well. So if you feel the need to tell me about how I shouldn't minimalize my mistakes, and need to own them, thanks...but I've already got that message under full advisement. As for anyone else, able to offer guidance...PLEASE and THANK YOU.
        BPA( California)

NOR 75( no clue why am i stuck in the 70's) 9/2011

Comment

• Sounds normal, guys are getting them for speeding tickets. I'm waiting for mine. Go to honorfirst and find the NOPA template.Perhaps you can even get an Agent[s] to read it and offer advise.

Comment

• The issue with the morgage is probably arguable. The drug use, however, is generally black or white. They know all the facts and made a decision. Generally speaking, marijuana is the only drug that you can use experimentally. If you used any other narcotics, regardless of frequency or time elapased, it is grounds for discontinuation (I think there might be exceptions for steroids and perscription meds). Other issues could be what you were doing at the time of the drug use. For instance, if you used drugs while a police officer it would be a big concern. Regardless, even if the policy is "case by case" they still reserve the right not hire you based upon the totatlity of circumstances.

Comment

• Verve, ou say you discussed it with your BI. Did you document it prior to that in the SF86?or did you bring it up for the first time with the BI?

Comment

• Well I just completed my final test in post academy, and in 1 week it will be 1 year since I was hired by Border Patrol. I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get this far, but I finally feel like I made it.

Good luck to those still in the hiring process. The job is worth it, and don't be discouraged from taking the career of a lifetime just because you can't get a location close to home. I moved over 1000 miles away for this opportunity.
                What is Perseverance?
                -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                  Well I just completed my final test in post academy, and in 1 week it will be 1 year since I was hired by Border Patrol. I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get this far, but I finally feel like I made it.
                  Thats great finishing up your last post academy test man! Congrats man!!!

Comment

• I took my poly today and was told that the results of one of the areas in which I was questioned came up inconclusive. The polygrapher said he was going to have me come back within the next two weeks and re-take that section of the polygraph. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what happened when you went back the second time? Feel free to respond on the open forum, or PM me. Thanks!

Comment

• Are BP trainees required to get tazed at the Academy or is it voluntary?

Comment

• Originally posted by hangman View Post
                        Are BP trainees required to get tazed at the Academy or is it voluntary?
                        There is no Taser training at the academy for trainees. That training is given at the station level.
                        Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

• Does anyone on here know anything about the BP hardship duty locations?

Can someone at a hardship location apply for the northern border once their two years are completed?

Comment

Are BP trainees required to get tazed at the Academy or is it voluntary?
                            getting tazed during the tazer training is optional.

Comment

Does anyone on here know anything about the BP hardship duty locations?

Can someone at a hardship location apply for the northern border once their two years are completed?
                              Hardship locations do not exist anymore.

Comment

Does anyone on here know anything about the BP hardship duty locations?

There is no such thing as a hardship duty station. If there was, half the stations in the BP would probably qualify.
                                Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11576 users online. 455 members and 11121 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X