Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Border Patrol Agent

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Does someone have IA's number? They've had my background packet for about 8-9 months and I want to see if there is anything I can do.

    Comment


    • How long after polygraphs has anyone waited to EOD? Do SA's typically conduct the polys?

      Comment


      • Well I just received my cancellation letter from the April 27th announcement. It says they have cancelled all applications from that particular announcement and I will have to reapply when the next one opens up. Oh well, I guess it is a whole lot better to get it now rather than after I've been through several steps in the process.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by spazzbite11 View Post
          Well I just received my cancellation letter from the April 27th announcement. It says they have cancelled all applications from that particular announcement and I will have to reapply when the next one opens up. Oh well, I guess it is a whole lot better to get it now rather than after I've been through several steps in the process.
          April 27th of 2012??

          Comment


          • Yeah. It was only open for 1 day and it was for ICTAP and VEOA only. This is what it said:

            Who May Apply: Displaced Federal employees requesting special priority selection consideration under the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) within the local commuting area. Veterans Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA) eligibles.
            This is what the cancellation letter said:

            The agency has decided not to use this announcement as we are not currently testing for the Border Patrol Agent position. This position
            will be reannounced at a date that has yet to be determined. In order to be considered, you will need to re-apply under the new vacancy
            announcement when it opens.
            I applied because I have Vet pref. I guess I'm not even sure if that qualifies for VEOA announcements. I was surprised no one else mentioned anything about it. I thought I got lucky because this thread had not blown up about it. I just happened to check USAJOBS that morning and saw that they had an open announcement. It was for SWB, and 5,7,9 level pay. But it all doesnt matter now. Oh well. I'll just keep at it.
            Last edited by spazzbite11; 05-18-2012, 11:01 PM.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by cloudbuster View Post
              EOD Jun 11
              Class Jun 18
              PFT2 May 31

              Good Luck on the PFT2.
              Passed my PFT2. We had 5 applicants for BP and 1 failed the sit ups by 1. I'll see you at the academy. Good luck on your PFT2.
              BPA -
              Applied--8/01/10 Exam--8/30/10 NOR-9/01/10 (105) TSL-9/15/10 TSL2-10/14/10 OB--11/30/10 Med/PFT--03/09/11 Drug Test--3/29/11 --E-QIP update-4/12/2011- BI Interview---6/20/11 POLY--11/22/11 PASSED
              TSU---12-12-2011 5-2-2012 EOD---6-11-2012

              Comment


              • Hello friends, new officer applicant for the U.S. Border Patrol here. I am seeking advice from those of you who are veterans in the profession, and from those of you who are new and can give me an idea of what to expect.

                About me, I am 34, and I was a Correctional Officer for just over 5 years. For the past year and a half I have been in the medical field as a CNA and Phlebotomist. I wanted a change of career because I had grown burned out in the prison industry, and my first choice of law enforcement was to be a police officer, but that never panned out due to not having a college degree, and in KY, my experience as a C/O did not make up for the degree. So I decided to look into my second career interest which was the medical field. However, I have that LE itch inside me and I feel like that's where I should be. Being a U.S. Border Patrol agent is very intriguing to me, and I would love to have a Federal job with the pride of serving my country and protecting our borders. I want to settle down into a new career while I'm still young enough to do so.

                So all that being said, does my background as a Correctional Officer help me? Am I going to be viewed in a negative light because of my age, or the fact that I left the DOC and now would like to come back into law enforcement? I am scheduled to take the written exam in June. Any advice, thoughts, etc. are greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time, and for reading my long post
                “Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, but brains saves both.” - Erwin Rommel

                Comment


                • We have Agents from every type of background imaginable. Your background won't really be any hindrance at all and plenty of the Agents I work with came in at an older age. I even had a classmate at academy that was 39. It sounds like you need to have patience with the hiring process as it has slowed down tremendously over the last couple years. Just keep in shape and ready for the academy and above all, don't try to hide anything from your background investigator. Best of luck and coming from Kentucky be ready for a bit of a culture shock.

                  Comment


                  • jfive, I appreciate the reply. I'm from the Louisville, KY area, so I am at least not coming from a small hick town of KY haha. I also grew up in several large cities in other states in the midwest, and south throughout my life. I know it will still be quite a change, but I'm def used to a varied culture of folks from growing up in large towns. When hiring for the academy and from testing, do you know on average about how many potential agents they take? How long on average is the hiring process after you take the written, physical, etc? Thanks again for your time.
                    Last edited by Firefly; 05-20-2012, 05:24 PM.
                    “Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, but brains saves both.” - Erwin Rommel

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Firefly View Post
                      Hello friends, new officer applicant for the U.S. Border Patrol here. I am seeking advice from those of you who are veterans in the profession, and from those of you who are new and can give me an idea of what to expect.

                      About me, I am 34, and I was a Correctional Officer for just over 5 years. For the past year and a half I have been in the medical field as a CNA and Phlebotomist. I wanted a change of career because I had grown burned out in the prison industry, and my first choice of law enforcement was to be a police officer, but that never panned out due to not having a college degree, and in KY, my experience as a C/O did not make up for the degree. So I decided to look into my second career interest which was the medical field. However, I have that LE itch inside me and I feel like that's where I should be. Being a U.S. Border Patrol agent is very intriguing to me, and I would love to have a Federal job with the pride of serving my country and protecting our borders. I want to settle down into a new career while I'm still young enough to do so.
                      I graduated the Border Patrol Academy at 31 after years of working as a correctional officer, first for the Kansas DOC, then later for the Federal Bureau of Prisons.

                      So all that being said, does my background as a Correctional Officer help me?
                      Yes it will help you. Also you will probably have more use of force experience, firearms experience, report writing experience, and other general LE experience than 90% of the other candidates, which will really help when you have your oral board interview and when you are at the academy trying to learn the BP way of doing things. Once on the job the communication skills that all of us COs had to develop will help you in dealing with the public. Keep in mind though that while your experience is a great added benefit, you will still have to learn to do things the BP way.

                      Am I going to be viewed in a negative light because of my age, or the fact that I left the DOC and now would like to come back into law enforcement?
                      No, not at all. I will tell you that I personally graduated the academy at 31, and there were several of us in our 30's, with my oldest class mate being 40. Many of the people in my class came from different career fields, and I don't think the fact that you left the DOC will be viewed negatively.

                      Be prepared though for guys who are much younger than you to act as though you are a mindless 2 year old, and treat you that way. Just grin and bear it. In the end it is a great job.
                      What is Perseverance?
                      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.


                      BOP - BPA - ICE

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Firefly View Post
                        When hiring for the academy and from testing, do you know on average about how many potential agents they take? How long on average is the hiring process after you take the written, physical, etc? Thanks again for your time.
                        I am not really sure how to answer this. I tested in 2007 and it took me 7 months from test time until I EOD'd. I can't recall the amount of time I spent between different stages of the hiring process. This was right in the middle of Border Patrol's big hiring push so there were 2-3 classes of 50 Agents each starting per week. I know things have slowed down a lot over the last two years, but I would imagine if you go back and read the timelines on this forum as well as Honor First you will get a much better idea.

                        Comment


                        • Thank you so much TheKansan and jfive for the feedback. It's greatly appreciated. Looks like I have some getting in shape to do, and getting myself mentally prepared again. I don't know what it is. Most jobs annoy me, and I don't want to be there in an office setting or "regular" job feel, but even in the days working in the prison..the sense of pride doing a job that most could not, and knowing that I am doing something positive and can change things in my community, is such a great thing. As much as you dislike it, you still look forward to what each new day brings and you want to do a better job. I think the Border Patrol will continue to grow and play a large part of our countries defense and growth in law enforcement in the coming years. Pretty exciting.
                          “Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, but brains saves both.” - Erwin Rommel

                          Comment


                          • Maybe someone can answer this for me. I have my medical coming up in a couple days but it looks like I will be needing some lower back surgery in the next week or so. It is nothing major (I know how that sounds with back surgery and all) but I just have a small bulge in my L5/S1 disk that is pressing on a nerve root. It is going to be an outpatient procedure to relieve pressure on the nerve. I can still PT with the best of them but I really think this is needed because of right leg weakness and foot pain (Sciatica). I don't want something to go wrong in the Academy because of this so I feel I should take care of it now. I have tried everything naturally and PT wise to get rid of it for the past 3 years, but it has been persistant. My question is should I tell them at my medical appointment about the surgery or tell BP prior to the appointment? I am sure I will be put on a 6 month medical hold, but I don't mind waiting so that I am assured of a full recovery.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Blue Steel View Post
                              Maybe someone can answer this for me. I have my medical coming up in a couple days but it looks like I will be needing some lower back surgery in the next week or so. It is nothing major (I know how that sounds with back surgery and all) but I just have a small bulge in my L5/S1 disk that is pressing on a nerve root. It is going to be an outpatient procedure to relieve pressure on the nerve. I can still PT with the best of them but I really think this is needed because of right leg weakness and foot pain (Sciatica). I don't want something to go wrong in the Academy because of this so I feel I should take care of it now. I have tried everything naturally and PT wise to get rid of it for the past 3 years, but it has been persistant. My question is should I tell them at my medical appointment about the surgery or tell BP prior to the appointment? I am sure I will be put on a 6 month medical hold, but I don't mind waiting so that I am assured of a full recovery.
                              I have the exact same problem except I had the same surgery in 2002. I told the doctor about it at the appt and then I had to submit extra information for BPA Medical department, so my medical clearance is still in a holding pattern until they tell me if they think I"m fit to do the job. I would definitely tell the doc about it though, but I don't think it's going to make a difference if you tell the BP about it before your appt. You'll probably have to have the surgeon provide a lot of info on the surgery, how it turned out, prognosis, etc., and I'm thinking they won't let you continue in the process until at least a year after. I only say that because I had to go through a year of post op before I came off light duty in the military before I was cleared for full duty. I could be wrong on that, but I wouldn't be surprised if they tell you that.

                              Comment


                              • fail the PFTfor 1 situp that not even funny.
                                I have my PFT2 in 9 days. I already drop 2min from the run, right now I should pass the PFT2 but the PFT before graduation have me worried having to run even faster.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 5184 users online. 397 members and 4787 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X