300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drexler View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you. If I can find the money for my masters I'll probably pursue it.
    luckily my school has pretty good reputation in criminal justice/police science/digital forensics , and i only need to pay a $1000 more per semester for masters so thats like 4k. even though some math ****es me off, i think if i tough it out ill do great in this.
    BPA( California)

NOR 75( no clue why am i stuck in the 70's) 9/2011

Comment

• Originally posted by doug1988 View Post
      BPA's transfer rate was over 48% about two years ago. Now, BPA has been upgrade position from GS-‎‎09 to GS-11, then from GS-11 to GS-12. Not many Agents are transferring to other agency. I heard that ‎‎48% of transfer rates reduced to 18%. Many Agents used to apply 1811, so they could promote to GS-‎‎12 & GS-13. If you are adding 25% AUO, FLSA, Sunday premium, and night differential, GS-1896-12 ‎Agent makes close to 100K. Beside last hiring surge, increase the number of Agent by 1,000. Total ‎number of Agents should be close to 21,000 by now. ‎
      I really don't think that most are agents are sticking around because of the increase in pay. The main reason that I see for the reduced rate of transfers is that other agencies are not hiring right now, or are hiring at reduced rates. I know a lot of my friends, including myself, are trying to get somewhere else right now. Other places start hiring again and you will see transfer rates soar.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wunneet View Post
        I really don't think that most are agents are sticking around because of the increase in pay. The main reason that I see for the reduced rate of transfers is that other agencies are not hiring right now, or are hiring at reduced rates. I know a lot of my friends, including myself, are trying to get somewhere else right now. Other places start hiring again and you will see transfer rates soar.
        I agree with that, however I don't see a time when any agency will be doing the sort of mass hiring that we saw in the last decade again. With the 9/11 terrorist attacks and the creation of DHS, many agencies saw a huge amount of expansion, but I personally believe that we will be returning to previous lower levels of attrition hiring. With candidates speaking of austerity, it looks worse and worse. Right now would be a good time to focus on just getting in anywhere. I imagine that even though they are hiring a lot of CBPOs right now, that too will slow down soon.
        Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

• Originally posted by Wunneet View Post
          Agreed. The only reason there isn't many BPA's leaving right now is because of a lack of hiring by other agencies. If there were plenty of other jobs opening up BPA's would be leaving by the droves.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyber_Saint View Post
            Agreed. The only reason there isn't many BPA's leaving right now is because of a lack of hiring by other agencies. If there were plenty of other jobs opening up BPA's would be leaving by the droves.
            If you are a GL-9/11/12-1896, Patrol Agent, you are not going to qualified as GS-1811-9/11/12/13, Special Agent. More than likely, you must apply for an entry level Special Agent positions. How many GS-1896-12 will apply for GS-1811-07? Some do applying for the entry level Diplomatic Security Special Agent and DHI Special Agent position. Not many Border Patrol Agent wants to repeat FLETS training. A few BPA applying for IG Criminal Investigator, so they could get a waiver for FLETS.

Comment

If you are a GL-9/11/12-1896, Patrol Agent, you are not going to qualified as GS-1811-9/11/12/13, Special Agent. More than likely, you must apply for an entry level Special Agent positions. How many GS-1896-12 will apply for GS-1811-07? Some do applying for the entry level Diplomatic Security Special Agent and DHI Special Agent position. Not many Border Patrol Agent wants to repeat FLETS training. A few BPA applying for IG Criminal Investigator, so they could get a waiver for FLETS.

Every BPA is well aware of that. Everyone knows you have to go back to FLETC to become an 1811. CITP is more college like than anything else and I know a ton of agents that would of back through FLETC to become an 1811. The point I was making is that if there were ample jobs available, even non-Fed jobs the Border Patrol would have alot of agents leaving. The only reason retention is high is because of the poor job market.

The money is rarely a factor. Non-competitve 13's are nice, but your prior post is also correct....GS-12 with all the additives (sunday, night diff, etc..) is great. Nothing to complain about there. BUt the work schedule is one from hell when compared to the Monday-friday 8-5 that 1811's work. Not to mention you can get away from the dirty border areas by taking a job with another agency faster than you could by going through the VRP system the Border Patrol has.
              Last edited by Cyber_Saint; 05-03-2012, 01:16 PM.

Comment

• Good post Cyber Saint. I've been hearing that VRP's are getting pushed back even further, has anyone else been hearing that at their stations?

Comment

First, WTH is FLETS?

Second, I'm an 1896-12 currently going through a lateral announcement to 1811-12 based on my 1896 time.

Comment

If you are a GL-9/11/12-1896, Patrol Agent, you are not going to qualified as GS-1811-9/11/12/13, Special Agent. More than likely, you must apply for an entry level Special Agent positions. How many GS-1896-12 will apply for GS-1811-07?
                    More than a few, in fact a lot. There are quite a few people who took the job with Border Patrol to gain experience so that they could move on to an 1811 position. I know quite a few would be willing to take the pay cut to become a HSI 1811, a DUSM, or at multiple different agencies.

Some do applying for the entry level Diplomatic Security Special Agent and DHI Special Agent position. Not many Border Patrol Agent wants to repeat FLETS training. A few BPA applying for IG Criminal Investigator, so they could get a waiver for FLETS.
                    I don't know what "DHI" is as I have never heard of that agency, could you clarify? Also I assume that you mean FLETC when you say "FLETS"?

There are plenty of BPAs who would be willing to go through FLETC again, and saying otherwise shows that you have very little knowledge of the situation. As for being given a waiver for FLETC by OIG, I have never heard of that. Where are you getting your info?
                    Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

• Third, WTH is a DHI Special Agent?

I am also inclined to agree with cyber saint. Not every PA wants to leave the Patrol, but for those who do, money isn't a huge factor in keeping them. Prestige, work schedule, take home ride, nature of work, and work location are much more valued.

Also, the VRP system is more of a recruiting tool then an actual process. If you are thinking that you'll pick up a BPA slot in a remote town then VRP to Miami or San Diego after 3 years, you will disappointed.

Comment

• Door and Hardware Institute? lol… Door and Hardware Institute

Originally posted by o2force View Post
                        Third, WTH is a DHI Special Agent?

I am also inclined to agree with cyber saint. Not every PA wants to leave the Patrol, but for those who do, money isn't a huge factor in keeping them. Prestige, work schedule, take home ride, nature of work, and work location are much more valued.

Also, the VRP system is more of a recruiting tool then an actual process. If you are thinking that you'll pick up a BPA slot in a remote town then VRP to Miami or San Diego after 3 years, you will disappointed.
                        BPA( California)

NOR 75( no clue why am i stuck in the 70's) 9/2011

Comment

• cross between DHS and HSI?

Comment

• Department of Homeland Insecurity?

Comment

• I have a question for you guys:

A friend of mine is trying to get me a slot for border patrol support. I'm guessing it's contracting work? It's in Arizona, and he says it's a 30 day stint. I'm still confused as to the 30 day stint part. For those that know about BP support/contracting, is it rotational, like 30 days you're in Arizona, and then you take off 30 days, then come back, etc.? Also, what is the pay generally like for this type of job? He said I should look into getting my D and G license.

Initially, I told him I wasn't very interested in the gig since, well, it's Arizona, and you're living on the border, but if it's a 30 day stint, then that may change my opinion.

EDIT-One more question. What do BP support guys do exactly? I'm still fuzzy on their duties if it's contracting work. All I know from the texting is that he co-manages a firm, and he said there are open slots for BP support.

EDITx2-Does this type of work count as experience? Would be nice if so to try and get a FLE job.
                              Last edited by cur679; 05-03-2012, 10:22 PM.
                              CBP Officer

08/31/14-Tested
                              02/28/14-TSL Received
                              03/18/14-PFT1/MED
                              07/01/14-VBT/SI
                              07/19/14-EQUIP Submitted
                              07/22/14-Credit Report Pulled

Comment

• ^^I have no clue what your friend is talking about. Does he work for G4S/Wackenhut?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5177 users online. 367 members and 4810 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X