300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by emack23 View Post
    Finally went all green yesterday but through way the calls are coming out I don't think I'll get one till next month.

would you mind posting your time line emack

Comment

• Does anyone know the pension breakdown for a Border Patrol Agent. I want to do a comparison of the benefits between being a BPA and NYPD.

Thanks
      Survival of the Fittest
      Semper Fi

Comment

• Good luck with that. With benefits being under fire during a very cost conscious time, changes with either organization are likely. That said NYPD has fairly generous pension as well as medical benefits. A little better than the Feds., but is currently under review for city savings.
        Go for the job you want. In the end, the benefits will be close; but not one being so much better than the other that it would make a difference in your choice. Do what YOU want....hope you find it.

Comment

• My timeline is posted on my profile, I believe my cert date is 9/10/10. Has anyone else heard anything yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by techmarine1992 View Post
            Does anyone know the pension breakdown for a Border Patrol Agent. I want to do a comparison of the benefits between being a BPA and NYPD.

Thanks
            This maybe irrelevant but I spoke with a gentleman who was with the NYPD for 20yrs and loved every minute of it then he moved out to NJ working as a PO in Franklin Lakes where he eventually plans on retiring. Just to reiterate what Wentwest said the NYPD guy told me to choose a job which you would find yourself enjoying after 20yrs.
            Last edited by emack23; 02-27-2012, 11:26 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Does anyone know if there is a hiring freeze for BP? Its been several months and havent received anything else besides NOR.
              CBP EXAM: 08/08/11 SWB PREF
              NOR: 08/30/11
              TSL1: 12/12/11
              MEDICAL/FITNESS: 01/09/12
              VBT/SI: 02/06/12-Results 02/17/12 pass
              TSL2: 02/17/12
              BI: in security office 03/06/12
              QUALIFICATIONS: completed 03/27/12 (5)
              DRUG TEST: PENDING

------------------
              BP EXAM: 10/07/11 SWB
              NOR: 10/21/11

Comment

• Not any freeze that is in print anyway. the hiring is sort of analogous to running. For awhile it was a sprint, then it became a cross county run, now that runner is stuck in some quicksand! It isn't over, just alot slower. Now it demands patience and perseverance. Remember, we shall never, never give up!

Comment

• Originally posted by Wentwest View Post
                  Not any freeze that is in print anyway. the hiring is sort of analogous to running. For awhile it was a sprint, then it became a cross county run, now that runner is stuck in some quicksand! It isn't over, just alot slower. Now it demands patience and perseverance. Remember, we shall never, never give up!
                  true!
                  CBP EXAM: 08/08/11 SWB PREF
                  NOR: 08/30/11
                  TSL1: 12/12/11
                  MEDICAL/FITNESS: 01/09/12
                  VBT/SI: 02/06/12-Results 02/17/12 pass
                  TSL2: 02/17/12
                  BI: in security office 03/06/12
                  QUALIFICATIONS: completed 03/27/12 (5)
                  DRUG TEST: PENDING

------------------
                  BP EXAM: 10/07/11 SWB
                  NOR: 10/21/11

Comment

Last edited by SHU; 07-02-2019, 12:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHU View Post
                      Law enforcement retirement 6C/12D for coverd positions*
                      1.7% per year of service for the 1st 20 years, 1% for all following years.
                      you have to do 20 years to get a full retirement if you are 50 years of age, 25 years if you are under 50 years of age. Mandatory retirement at age 57

Ex: for someone who is hired at age 33 they will be able to retire at 53 since they are above 50 years of age and they have completed 20 years of service. They will get 34% (1.7 x 20= 34) of their highest 3 year average. For BPA positions that means your base pay plus locality and AUO pay. This is the only pay factored into your retirement. Night diff sunday pay or 45 act play no part.

You also get SRS pay until you are age 62. It is half the money you would get from the SSA at age 62 if you work 20 years.

You also get a 401k type plan that the gov matches up to 5%.

Your biggest factor in your retirement with the federal gov is the TSP. If you put the max into every pay period from the start of your career to the end, and the market does well, you will have a very good retirement. The problem with that is when you first start you are not paid a lot of money. You will only make around 60k your first year. And in a place like where I live that is not sheet.

Either way you will have a decent retirement with the nypd or the usbp. I think you are looking at this the entirely wrong way. If you like the type of work you do with the nypd you will not like the usbp and vice versa. You need to go with the type of work that you will think you'll enjoy. Not the one with the best retirement plan today. Because all the the plans will be changing in the future.
                      No you misunderstood me. I'm already NYPD and theres no plan on leaving. My brother is a Border Patrol Agent and I was just curious on how his benefits stack up to mine.
                      Survival of the Fittest
                      Semper Fi

Comment

• Originally posted by techmarine1992 View Post
                        No you misunderstood me. I'm already NYPD and theres no plan on leaving. My brother is a Border Patrol Agent and I was just curious on how his benefits stack up to mine.
                        So... why didn't you ask YOUR brother and do the comparison? After all, he's YOUR brother. He would know. Kind of sad to ask a public forum when you have your own blood to reference.

Comment

• Originally posted by GettingFED View Post
                          So... why didn't you ask YOUR brother and do the comparison? After all, he's YOUR brother. He would know. Kind of sad to ask a public forum when you have your own blood to reference.
                          Of course I can ask him, but where's the fun in that. We're brothers and there's always a bit of rivalry there.
                          Survival of the Fittest
                          Semper Fi

Comment

• Need some help: Response

A few of you folks replied, in addition to others sending me some very well pointed private messages. Through some of your excellent points and guidance, I have decided to stick it out where I am currently at. A big point in this was the fact of losing my fed time and starting over, especially with the new retirement rates starting this next year. It's painful being somewhere that you dread, but at least I am currently serving on the midnight shift and will hopefully be picked up prior to rotating baclk to days (where the command element is the worst part ofit all). So for now, I will put on my big boy pants, grit my teeth, and push through. A warm hearted thank you to those that offered genuine concern and advice. Your wisdom and insight has helped me to make a much better decision for my family overall.
                            CBPO
                            Exam: 07/11; NOR: 8/11 99 w/Vet Pts; Qualifications: (GS-7 Step 4); T.O: 09/11 (SWB); PFT1: 9/11; Med Cleared: 4/12; VBT/S.I.: 10/11; Drug Test: Passed 6/11; Poly: Passed 12/08/11; BI: Complete 12/28/11, PFT2: Passed 12/12/12, EOD: 12/31/12 San Ysidro

Comment

• Techmarine, rest easy knowing that regardless of pay and benefits, NYPD will always be featured in the best, most intense movies and TV shows!

Comment

• Originally posted by Wentwest View Post
                                Techmarine, rest easy knowing that regardless of pay and benefits, NYPD will always be featured in the best, most intense movies and TV shows!
                                Lmao!!!! ^^^^^^

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4920 users online. 196 members and 4724 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X